MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 22-06-20, 06:26

Default Please post the photos...

Ill be looking forward to seeing the limber and gun tractor projects take shape.
Old 10-01-21, 03:13
carrier mech

Well nothing moves as fast as one would like it seems, but I have made some good progress on the 25 pounder. There are still some small parts missing like the linkage front the trunnion lever to the sight assembly, but overall I have most things now painted, lubricated and operating. Lots of little things to look after yet like the grease fittings and cotter pins, and some fabrication work to make a new seat base and seat. The bore is like a sewer pipe, but I am going to pin the barrel up for blank fire so the bore won't matter.

I will bring in one of the firing platforms soon and get a start on it, although it will have to wait for spring before it can be blasted and painted.

For the most part, when purchasing, I bought doubles so the second gun can be done one day as well. The limber and tractor will have to come before the second gun of course.

One of the big problems I am about to face is that the cold side of the quonset is already filled with equipment. I think my easiest move will be to get the Jeep moved out into one of the smaller sheds to make room for this gun. But that will only be a temporary solution. I think I am soon going to have to assemble the next and bigger shed.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0062.jpg   DSCF0063.jpg   DSCF0060.jpg   DSCF0052.jpg   DSCF0050.jpg  

Old 10-01-21, 03:21

Default Q.F. 25-Pdr Howitzer

That is one nice looking 25-Pdr!
Old 10-01-21, 03:31
carrier mech

Thanks Ed, but as the saying goes "there are many like it, but this one is mine".

One area I am happy with is that large hole that used to be on the back near the towing ring. It did not end up perfect, but if you didn't know it was there before you would not pick it out now.
Another challenge is going to be that I found a rivet broken holding the trail spike bracket on the left side. The casting will end up being cracked if that is not attended to. I am considering buying a long rivet and threading it, then bolting it into place with the nut on the inside. I know blacksmiths bolt supply sell these. I may look at that avenue as well.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0051.jpg   DSCF0053.jpg   25-1.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 10-01-21 at 05:32.
Old 10-01-21, 04:21

Very well done Rob . Make that next shed large enough this time . You are crowded in there now !
94 LSVW
Old 10-01-21, 04:46

Beauty! Nice work Rob.
Old 10-01-21, 05:02

It has come a long way, Rob. Nice work!

David
Old 10-01-21, 16:42

Default A long way.......

....from the St Jerome area............... I have fond memories of pulling them off the property.

Nice job.......
Canada
Old 10-01-21, 17:36
carrier mech

Bob
Without the help of you and the team, I am not sure I would have made it off the property with these. It would have been days longer, and an inch at a time.

Without the help of many on this forum who contributed knowledge, gave or sold me parts, I would be much further back than I am now. Especially I would mention Hanno, who did all the leg work in his country to get me a lot of items I purchased from that auction out his way. He talked with the owner, picked up the goods, stored and prepped them for shipping, and made all the arrangements to have them shipped. Or Dave, who knew of the limbers and negotiated a deal on them. Or Wayne, who brought me out the tractor shell from his province. There are many many more to thank in this....I know they know who they are: Thanks.

It was a team effort for sure. No man is an Island, and certainly not in this case.
Old 10-01-21, 18:18

Very nice result, Rob.

Mike
Old 10-01-21, 18:24
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Bob
Without the help of you and the team, I am not sure I would have made it off the property with these. It would have been days longer, and an inch at a time.

Without the help of many on this forum who contributed knowledge, gave or sold me parts, I would be much further back than I am now.

It was a team effort for sure. No man is an Island, and certainly not in this case.
It was an odd add indeed!

74-????? M151A2 plated and on the road
70-08876 M38A1 ready for the road
53-71233 M100CDN trailer manufactured by MCI ready for the road

Wow! All three green beasties run!
Old 11-01-21, 01:31
carrier mech

It was a rather nice day today, so after I put away the Christmas CMP 3 ton I used the tractor to pull one of the firing platforms out of the snowbank. I'll get it into the shop in the next day or two and after it thaws get a start on it. One spoke shows damage but I am pretty sure I can fix it without having to remove the spoke. My original plan was to remove the spoke, but there are a lot of rivets involved. I am going to plan B: heat, straighten and weld. I'll also get the crab legs off it, and mix them with the partial set I bought from the auction. Those are small enough I can get the individual pieces into the cabinet sandblaster. The platform will have to wait for spring.

If one goes back to the first page of all this, you will read that the platforms were a complete surprise. All the photos I saw were of guns without platform. When I got there the owner told me there were the big circles under the flower garden's earth. A nice surprise...those are not common here.
Old Yesterday, 05:32
carrier mech

Some photos of the firing platform. I repaired the bent spoke, and replaced the metal underneath rather than try to straighten it. The crab legs gave some resistance, and to save oxyacetelyne I dropped the upper legs into the woodstove for 10 minutes. They came out slightly glowing red which softened up the pind and had them apart in reasonable time. Both of the "axles" for the arms were bent or broken, but it turns out they are fabricated, so it will be easy to make new ones. I have pushed the ring underneath the gun for now until spring, but will make the leg axles soon once I buy some metal from town.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0048.jpg   DSCF0052.jpg   DSCF0054.jpg   DSCF0057.jpg   DSCF0055.jpg