MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 10-09-07, 03:48
Addicted to Drab

Default F15A Wiring Harness

Well, I am getting to the stage where I am starting to think about the wiring requirements for my F15A. Has anyone purchased a complete reproduction harness commercially? Or does anyone have the measurements for the various runs? I have the wiring diagram and am prepared to build the harness myself as I did with my M38. I will keep as faithful to the colour codes as possible. If I get the measurements I will build several at the same time. Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike Timoshyk
Old 18-09-07, 02:03
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Hi Mike

Several years back I performed my first attempt at a cmp resto which happened to be a 12 cab F15a. It turned out really well.

Like yourself, I was in a quandry when faced with the wire harness.

What I did was to remove all the old harness and replace with new wiring and utilize the proper lights and accessories etc.

I purchased a modern type wire which is commonly called stove wire, as it has a cloth type covering similar to the old stuff. Actually the new stuff is probably some sort of thermoplastic but it does closely resemble the old cloth type in feel and texture.

I used number 14 and number 12 gage wire to run the new circuits.

Since your system is 6v, you do require this heavier gage wire as it runs higher amps than 12v.

Since you probably want to add turn sigs etc, you will find it easier to put in a whole new harness. I took the original wire diagram and outlined each circuit in a different highliter to fully understand what was needed and drew in the extras as well.

My truck turned out great with the added turn sigs etc. I used the stock lighting and only added a couple postwar tail lights. Once completed the back of my truck lit up like Christmas when the brakes were applied.

As far as the original loom, you can also buy the original asphalt tubing to use where required. The original loom also had a wrap on it which incidentally is the same as hockey tape (black), hint hint...

If you would be interested, I think I still have all my notes, coloured wire diagrams etc which I would be more than willing to share.

Drop me a line or give me a call and we can discuss it further

Chris

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 18-09-07, 02:07
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Mike, further to my last, if you run each circuit separately and test as you go you can save yourself a lot of headaches later on.

I "roughed in" the whole system before tidying it all up and making the final connections etc. Its a great confidence booster to fire up each circuit oine at a time and see that your workmanship actually works. Remeber too that Fords have a positive ground system as well or else you'll be in trouble...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers