MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 10-02-18, 00:39

Default F15a wiring harness

I am wondering if anyone can identify this wiring harness from a f15a . It has a brass fitting on one end that looks like it would plug into a light socket.There are about 6 wires total and most are yellow. There is one breakout with 3 connectors and the rest have 2. Any help will be greatly appreciated,Dave
Attached Thumbnails
097.JPG   099.JPG  
Old 11-02-18, 10:12
VMVC

Default F-15A harness?

Hi Dave,

That harness is a new one to me. Looking closely at the plug it appears to be a BAY15D size plug. It has two contacts and side locating pins at different heights. On that basis it does not plug into the dash socket which is a BA15S socket. All sockets are single contact types on all lights except the headlights.

Hard to tell from the photos, but it appears a couple of very sharp bends at various points on the harness. Could they be wires twisted and soldered together? If that be the case, it could be a jury rig for some purpose such as using the battery for auxiliary lighting? Still can't figure out however, why one would plug it into a headlight socket if that is the only type it fits.

Yellow with a black trace is the headlight wires colour. The remains of what appears to be a grommet is interesting too. The only place I have seen one on a harness is where the harness goes from the engine compartment to the back of the dashboard. See middle of attached photo.

A real enigma, but perhaps I got the ball rolling and someone can positively identify it so we can all be the wiser.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3671.JPG  

Jacques Reed
Old 11-02-18, 17:05
MLU Administrator

Guys, I think it is time we revive The Snakes Alive CMP Wiring Project ....

Hanno
Old 11-02-18, 21:24

hmmmm maybe it's not a f15a wiring harness at all? I bought this truck disassembled (in boxes) so maybe it is not CMP at all. Now that I thinl about it, there were some parts for a military trailer of some kind in with the CMP parts. I was hoping someone would recognise the brass connector as it seems unique. I think that adding to the snakes alive thread would be great, and maybe make it a sticky.
Old 11-02-18, 21:56

If the pins on the connector are at different distances from the end, surely it fits into a bulb holder intended for a twin filament bulb as used when brake and tail lights are in a combined into one lamp. If there are three wires from it that would tend to confirm.

David
Old 11-02-18, 22:04
VMVC

Default Mystery wiring harness

Hi Dave,

Yes, the plug would indicate a two filament globe. How many contacts are there in any of the remaining sockets?

Looking more like a trailer harness of some type.

Snakes alive!

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 12-02-18, 00:35

I will take more pics tomorrow with more detail of the connector and other ends. Thanks for all the ideas,guys.
Old 13-02-18, 00:48

I took more pics and measured the length at about 2m..I can't pick this harness out of the F15a wiring diagram so I don't think it is a CMP harness.The side pins on the connector are the same height and the only two ends missing from the pictures are broken off. Nice heavy duty connector though.
Attached Thumbnails
001.JPG   002.JPG   003.JPG   004.JPG   005.JPG  

Old 13-02-18, 01:53

Default Special connectors.....

They are still available from some restoration shops in California.

On the cab 11 /12 they are similar for connecting the headlight buckets....BUT..... they are set up for 3 wires....... and the 3 wires style are no longer made. They are basically a Ford design copied on Model T headlights

They are available moulded in plastic or machined in steel. The male rubber parts fits right in the bottom section of the headlight buckets at (RH)5 and (LH) 7 o'clock and the pins holds them in place. The head light needs 3 contacts one for hi beams, low beams and the internal marker light.

IMHO the harness seems to be intended for a trailer with dual filament bulbs.

Cheers
Canada
Old 13-02-18, 08:54
WO8 C15A 142736

Looks like the end you would need to plug a trouble light into the dash socket.
Old 13-02-18, 12:40
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Looks like the fitting for the rubber taillights on UK/Canadian Carriers. Although a single filament bulb, the Carriers don't earth back through the hull, each lighting circuit runs back to the dash.
Old 13-02-18, 14:55
carrier mech

The design Branch records show this type connector on the trailers larger than 10cwt. The small trailers use the US style connector, whereas the larger trailers have this plug. Perhaps the length of the harness would indicate the type of trailer.
I would have to look at some of my trailers (once it warms up) to see if there is a red/white switch or a convoy lamp switch for the lighting which would explain the connections in the middle of the harness.

Hard to believe they would not run a ground. Depending on the hitch, especially with the impact type drawbars, for ground is not ideal.
Old 13-02-18, 16:02

Ok, Rob, I think you are correct. The few trailer parts I have are obviously for a heavy trailer. my searching has not turned up any photos of similar trailers, but this one used the same rims as CMPs as well as brakes, brake master cyl. and suspension(15cwt or more). Sometime I would like to see your trailers to try identify what I have.
Thanks to everyone who replied.
Dave