"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Compressor air intake..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljboudreau View Post
yes ! gess wath finaly showed up today!

in the truck

and down in the basement waiting for the electrician

happy day
Paul..Nice work all around..BUT..pipe your air intake for your new compressor outside..It will be a lot happier and will last ten times longer..including oil changes..
No one thinks to do that unless they have been doing air compressor over hauls and service ..to see the inside of a air compressor that has been taking inside air from a small shop that has any type of body work..painting or sandblasting of any kind would make you cringe..even with intake air filter cleaning and changing..
Save your self some grief and lots of money and get that new installation piped outside.
carry on....
Great job.

Old 30-07-10, 13:12

Hi Paul,
Nice works on the truck and i see you ave rogers cable service Nice
For your compressor you should have a water removal systeme install because you compressor is in your basement and the air is cold and moisty and the compressor will be run in hot the water will be hig in your systeme if you need pic i could show you my systeme wit water free at the end one more thing you should have a pipe or a buket to remouve you water in the base of the air tanks it will make a mess and mabe your wife will not be happy
Old 30-07-10, 13:40
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Auto drain..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) View Post
Hi Paul,
Nice works on the truck and i see you ave rogers cable service Nice
For your compressor you should have a water removal systeme install because you compressor is in your basement and the air is cold and moisty and the compressor will be run in hot the water will be hig in your systeme if you need pic i could show you my systeme wit water free at the end one more thing you should have a pipe or a buket to remouve you water in the base of the air tanks it will make a mess and mabe your wife will not be happy
Totaly agree..forgot to mention when I posted about piping the air intake out side,,..an auto drain is available that is a basic timer that activates a solenoid that will purge once a day automatically..or as many times as you program it to open the drain valve solenoid...
they are not expensive and available at most air conditioning or plumbing wholesaler..

This is one but the price at $85.00 is about double or triple of what I used to pay for a 1/4NPT auto blow down..
And this one dosen't have a timer on it..

https://www.pieco.ca/catalog/pieco_l...06982#I0006982

Check with Home Depot or where ever you got the IR Compressor...
Schooner Supply is the big IR supplier in your area..If you have a problem locating one at a good price..PM me and I'll get you in touch with the right people to get that for your IR compressor..or any other stuff you may need for it..
Alex
Old 30-07-10, 17:39

i have a dehumidifier running full blas rigth next to the compressor, so far everytime i drain the thank there was no condensate in it, lucky i guess,lol
Old 30-07-10, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljboudreau View Post
so far everytime i drain the thank there was no condensate in it, lucky i guess,lol
Yes you see what we mean it in your line the probleme is not in the tanks
Old 04-08-10, 00:00

ets start with last friday! i did some happy neigbors prevention, i got a tent garage to hide the m37 inside, it will provide shelter for the truck and me when it rains and it look better in the yard so the niegbor wont have the time to complain about the state of my yard!

and then today i cleaned up a bit in the shed then i chased the tread on the hardware from the frame, i also had the time to clean and etch the four remaining frame hook

anyhow here are the pictures of the day enjoy!

the m37 shelter!

the tidy yard...somewhat!

the new clean painting place

the bolts that where chase and some hardware ready to be cleaned

the rest of the hardware, i am not reusing the original tie's for the wiring and lines, and i cant remember what are the two bracket on the rigth

and the frame hook ready to be painted!

paul
Old 05-08-10, 02:12

well today i got the hardware from the frame clean, the i started on the removable crossmenber for the transfert case, the hardware was chased and cleaned and the i started on derusting the crossmember , an old friend showed up and i quit for the day!

anyhow here are the pictures of the day, enjoy!

etched bracket

more hardware ready to paint

and i started on the crossmember!

paul
Old 06-08-10, 01:46

well today i got the crossmember ready for paint, and i started on the pintle hook, part of it is ready for paint and the rest will get done next week, i had enuf heat for this week, lol i hate summer!

anyhow here are the picture of the day, enjoy!

crossmember ready for paint!

more hardware ready for paint

and the rest of the pintle hook

paul waiting for autum in beresford!
Old 10-08-10, 00:00

well today i started by saying some church words when i had to replace the front to back brake line under my one ton truck... some clown had put 3 junction in it! now it brakes good again and it has a full line front to back in the stock location, once this was taken care off, i took to the pintle hook and cleaned and sandblasted it, then etched it, then i got the two pan that goes on each side of the engine cleaned,there was about 1/2 inch of dust,oil and god know what caked on them, then i got them strait again and welded all the cracks in them, then they got etched, and then i painted the whole stuff black, tomorow more stuff is going to find its way back on the truck!

anyway, here are the pics of the day, enjoy!

driver side pan

passenger side pan

and an other bunch of stuff etched and ready for paint!

and some more black stuff!

paul the slow mo!
Old 10-08-10, 21:50

Well y did say some church words when i did the body work on my M37 .
The guy that did it 20 years ago loves BONDO
Now i am proud to say it has 0% of this junk!
1954 Dodge M152 communication

If it doesn't exist anymore make your own
Old 12-08-10, 02:50

well yesterday i got the pintle back togheter, and the splash pan on the bottom of the engine bay, then i loosely put the lineand wire hold, and then i figthed whit the darn crossmember for the transfert case, it was hard to align since the other one was really bent out of shape, then today i got the front stearing bar appart, and notice one of my tie rod end was shot, so i tried to get the one on the other truck off but they where putting up a figth, so since it was a hot day i just quitted for the day!

anyhow here are the pics of the day, enjoy!

reassembled pintle hook

splash pan

new cross member

tie rod and clean bolts ready to be brushed

stearing bar

paul in beresford
Old 21-09-10, 01:39

for every one that is wondering, i am fine and dandy, the only reson i stoped working on the m truck is because it was getting to hot to work and i wanted to do something else for a little while, so i bougth a sail boat and i have been sailing for the last month or so, the seaso up here is almost over so i will get back to restoring my m-37 soon , like a few week from now, keep watching and soon progress will start again!

for now ill give ya's a pic of my passtime for the moment! keep posted and i will start back at the truc soon

so here is my mesange with all sail's out!
Old 21-09-10, 02:42

Default Question for Frank Moore....?

Is that a boat or a ship....?

BooBee
Canada
Old 21-09-10, 03:28

ah she's a fine ship sir!
Old 09-02-11, 00:30

well i finally got tired of playing with the boat and i restarted on the m37 for a change! so i started with the stearing assembly, i took everyting appart, cleaned it , mesured and checked everything according to the book, bougth two new tie rod end and some new leather boots and straps, then i sanded everything down and primed and painted , i changed the black paint for some with a little more ligth in to it as i did not like the last gallon i bougth and the result are good with the ford black! here are a few new picture for every one!

here you can see the new tie rod taken apart

other side

drag links

drag link guts

all primed!

i fidled for 3 day wondering how to get the seized stearing off with out too much damage and save the shaft, i broke the nut, but i found an other one , finally i heated the inside of the tube with the welding tip on the torchs and a bearing puller backward on the rear of the stearing and a hammer!

and the final one, the paint result!

more later!
Old 09-02-11, 00:33

today i painted the other side of the draglinks and tie rod, then i took my stearing box appart, and clean it some , found out it had a tab welded on the box , so i shoveled a little to get to see the box on my other truck and it was te same exxcept the tab was welded all crooked, so i decided to keep it as it make the box more sturdy and no crak are showing on the casing, must have been a modification by the army, since i found a tag on the box that said it had been rebuilt in september 74 by a mj..., then when i went to install the drag link i found out my new clip where to short ,so i will have to hunt down some proper one..

anyway here are a few pics!

painted drag links and tie rod, i had to mix 3 and a half once of paint to finish it!

and while i am at it here is my mini paint boot!

the stearing box in pieces!

the welded tab on the stearing box

the state of my part truck

a little shoveling

and the same tab is on the part truck , must be a mod made later to prevent the box from cracking

assembled idler assemblie

good fit but thestrap to hold the dust cover are to short...will have toget longuer one

and on the truck to come out again....

paul from sormany now!
Old 09-02-11, 00:36

today i sarted by sanding and cleaning the stearing box parts, then i primed them, after that i draged the ball of grease that my transfert case was and i started taking it appart, one of the bearing came appart on me so now i will have to line up about 100 little roller darn it!, i guess they where made like that back then, no cage to support the roller , everything in the transfer case look good and all the bearing and race seem fine, i also fiddled with the horn wire, i managed to save the connector on both end of the rotten wire as well as the number tag and i made a new horn wire since the old one was all rotten, i soldered the end on.

anyhow , enuf talking here are a few pics!

clean power stearing parts!

clean worm gear and cover

ball of grease!

ever wonder waths inside one of them t-case!

brand new horn wire! with all proper fitting and tag!

and some primed hardware and parts!

now i have to rest my old back! later!
Old 15-02-11, 03:33

not much done in the last few day, i had to rest a bit, i got a new tip for the sand blaster, it was overdue! and ordered some seal for the transfert case and stearing box, still waiting on 3 of em, and today i heated the garage and painted the stearing box assembly

here are a few pics

the new seal and the old and new sand blast tip!

the proof the garage was nice and hot trough the winter storm of the day

and the painted stuff

paul from sormany...
Old 17-02-11, 02:36

today i got the stearing box back together, and got it on the truck, i didn't put the stearing tube because i want it green, and every stearing link has been installed temporarly until i get the proper dust cover

here are a few pics of the day

assembled stearing box

close up

on the truck

an other close up!

paul from sormany, taking is time and doing a good job
Old 23-02-11, 23:38

today started with a surprise, i guess you cannot put some gun wash in a king part washer, my girlfriend had bougth that part washer for valentines day, but my solvent was to hard on my solvent pump....go figure...lol.. then i cleaned and painted some transfert case parts, i got a good pile done and i am left with 2 parts to clean and the major peice will be done on the t-case, next will be the hard ware, that will take more time....lol

here are a few pics , some are of some marking on the casing, including the date it was casted!

the surprise! can you see what solvent has done to the pump!

a clean casing

stamped ratio!

casting date 11-2-1954!

i do not know what these mean

an even cleaner casing

the two parts i have left for tomorow

clean guts!

high temperature paint on the casing

paul from sormany
Old 23-02-11, 23:58

Paul,

we had the same problem after our supplier sent us "gun" cleaner as in paint gun! He warrantied the pump and apologised.

How do those tyres affect the gearing, wont they be a bit loud?

R
Old 24-02-11, 02:09

hopefully by the time i am done ill have found some 36 inch millitary tire
Old 25-02-11, 00:52

today i got the two part from yesterday preped and painted, didn't do much since i went to physio this morning and i have to be easy after physio....

here are the pictures

the first parts

clean handbrake thing a doodle

some more paint

and the work for the next day is lined up

slow but sure in sormany...
Old 25-02-11, 18:38

Keep up the good work Paul.

I'm following this thread with interest and always look forward to seeing you post progress reports. An M37 resto is on the horizon for me as well.

Mind you mine will include a Repower with 6.2 or 6.5T and a NV4500 trans and a regear to 4.89's as I plan on using mine as daily driver in the summer months.

Matthew
Old 25-02-11, 20:39
Bluebell

Default Paul

The ratio is on there because the T223 Dodge 6x6 of 1943, had the same transfercase with a different ratio. (1.5 to 1) (the flanges are different but interchangeable) The war time ratios are considered better because you would have 8 different ratios, but with the M37 assembly, one gear in high range is pretty much the same as a higher gear in low range. for example 2nd low is very similar to 1st high, 2nd high is much the same as 3rd low.
See if you can locate a copy of TM9-1808C (now that your nearly finished) Its an interchange info book cover Dodge military and civilian from 1941 to 1971.
The same t/fer case (1.96 to 1) with wrong flanges fitted, is found in the M715 and M725

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 07-03-11, 18:50

well friday and today i got the rest of the hardware and transfert case part clean and painted, i also had to reweld the splash guard on one of the two output of the transfer case , and i chased the tread on the nuts and bolts

here a few pics, tomorow is reassembly day!

a new hand brake lining and rivet

broken splash guard

parts waiting for cleaning

clean and needing a little sand blast

ready for paint

and painted!

slow but sure!
Old 07-03-11, 18:52

today was transfert case assembly day, it went well, except for the lock wire on the shift fork, i had some trouble getting the lock wire in and i broke it once,so i had to start again, but after that it went well . the transfert case looks awsome

here are a few pics

the darn lock

during assembly

and the finish product!

proud and happy in sormany!
Old 07-03-11, 18:54

today i got the braces for the t-case clean and ready for prime, i hadto redoo a few weld that where inconsistent on them, then i realised i did not have enuf to mix a batch of paint and primer so i got my girlfriend to help me and we shoveled a little to find more parts , so i got the step off the other truck and i found a few brakets and the pedal assembly, ill have to chose te best set of step since one set is rust free but mangled and the other is a bit rusty but mostly straight

aanyhow here are a few pictures

t-case braces

driveshaft

driver side steps

passenger side steps

pedals and brackets

paul
Old 07-03-11, 22:29

Default Beautiful Work

Hi Paul

Been following your progress with interest you have been doing a beautiful job. Truck should finish this process as good as new.

Enjoyed the photos of the parking brake assemblies interesting how much alike the design of the band brake is with that used on Chevy CMPs.

In your latest pictures is that white stuff on the floor snow? The joys of restoration in Norther climate.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com