MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 29-04-10, 01:02

and for the final picture of the day! all the part that will go back togheter tomorow in the third member, all cleaned and ready to go! reassembly begin tomorow yes!

paul
Old 30-04-10, 00:12

well today i got the reasembly started and at the end of this day i have one third member ready to go in the rear axle, the army did not shim their pinion but mine is shimed and my axle should be less noisy then one that hasn't been shimed, i also got some tire for the project, i wil have to try them on my bud rim as they seem a bit wide, they are 325/85R16, 38 incher!!!

any how here are the pics of the day, enjoy!

my new to me war tires

they are still in good shape

this is the patern i ended up with with the axle setted the way the army instruction said to set the gears up, i found that the pinion was a bit far from the crown

so i shimed the pinion bering 0.030,i used some shim i had left from a maser install kit from a rubi dana 44 and a dana 35 or 30, i put them here

and here

and i ended up with a more centered patern, its not perfect but much better

and now i have a ready to install third member with improved gear partern
Old 01-05-10, 01:22

well today i took both pionneer rack off and decided wich one i am going to keep and wich one is going for sale, then i started tearing the front axle apart to clean it and paint it so when i mixe my olive drab i use all the paint i mix, then i had to quit to bring the kid down to my ex wife....

here are the pics, enjoy!

pioneer rack i am going to sell

more pictures of the funny front joint

front axle appart partially

and the way i left it at quiting time

and them parts on the bench
Old 01-05-10, 03:29
Michael P.

love seeing the progress. keep up the good work
Old 01-05-10, 04:03

Default Things to check for....

Hi Paul

I love your enthusiasm...... ah to be young again.....

Now that you have the front axle apart..... you know the two half pieces that holds the U-joint in grease..... on the back side you have a hole that allows the connecting rod to bolt in place..... make sure your holes are perfectly round and tapered.... they tend to wear OVAL.... and at speed will give you a bad shimmy...even with new tie rods... just looking at them may not show the wear.... you might want them checked by a machine shop.....

Also make sure you brass cone bearings are not two worn out and.....assuming you have the shop manual for the dodge front axle.... amke sure you use the proper shims when re-assembling....too loose will be hard to align/steering properly.... too tight will be a bitch steering at slow speed on hot sticky pavement.....

Now get back to work....

Boob
Canada
Old 01-05-10, 04:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Hi Paul

I love your enthusiasm...... ah to be young again.....

Now that you have the front axle apart..... you know the two half pieces that holds the U-joint in grease..... on the back side you have a hole that allows the connecting rod to bolt in place..... make sure your holes are perfectly round and tapered.... they tend to wear OVAL.... and at speed will give you a bad shimmy...even with new tie rods... just looking at them may not show the wear.... you might want them checked by a machine shop.....

Also make sure you brass cone bearings are not two worn out and.....assuming you have the shop manual for the dodge front axle.... amke sure you use the proper shims when re-assembling....too loose will be hard to align/steering properly.... too tight will be a bitch steering at slow speed on hot sticky pavement.....

Now get back to work....

Boob
thanks lol

wich hole are you talking about? the one with the 4 bolt that holds the two peice of the knuckle togheter? i noticed they have some shearpin is that wath you are talking about?

yep got the service manual, will preload those king pin

yup tomorow around 9 going to retreive the 53 that i sold and salvage one of the two rear axle under her, back to work i will be
Old 01-05-10, 05:01

Default Holy molly.....

.... check the hole in the bottom half...... where the tierod bolts to the axle.... that's the one that usually wear OVAL..... running chains on the front axle in Winter at high speed usually f**ks them up in one season.....

Boob
EX-M37 nut...... now insane with SeaHemPeas.....
Canada
Old 01-05-10, 05:02

Default Check your picture....

.. the last one....center of picture .... the part that is most to the front.... the large hole is visible...... that is where the tie rod fits....

Bob
Canada
Old 01-05-10, 13:33

thanks will take a look, now that you say that, the tie rod where suspiciouly easy to get out of the taper, they migth be out of round
Old 02-05-10, 04:28

well today the 53 got going to its new home, and one of the rear axle got in my yard, one of the shaft in it was twisted but the gear where in good shape, also on the twisted shaft all off the wheel stud are bent, so that side did take a heavy hit, then i finished taking the front axle appart , striped it and found some marking on it, a serie of number 12-20-51 dont know what they mean but hey , they are in a strange place behind the front axle looking at the rear one, then i got all of the paint off the housing , i just need to sand blast a few spot and she will be ready for primer

here are the pics enjoy!

twisted axle

markings

third member i started taking appart

and a almost clean housng almost ready for paint!

paul
Old 02-05-10, 07:59
Bluebell

Default Paul

12-20-51 = 20th December 1951. My guess.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 04-05-10, 23:32

today i got a few leaf spring derusted and i got the front axle and the bumperette and some leaf etched not much progress frigin on details

the olive drab is getting closer!
Old 05-05-10, 23:02

the work of the day consisted of painting part of the rims and the axle housing and fidling with detail while the paint was drying not much to show , the paint turn out a great color that look pretty close to the original color

any how here are the pics of the day

leaf spring all ready for prime

got 4 rims painted

the axle housing painted

and ran out of paint and i did not want to mix an other batch since i could not use it all

paul
Old 06-05-10, 21:35

today i painted the rear axle black out ligth white spot and frigged around trying to make a stencil for the front axle number with tape , but it did not work so i got the local sticker shop to make me a stencil, and voila my marking where that easy to paint,

here are the pics

paint i used, flat white

both axle togheter

close up of the markings

paul
Old 10-05-10, 23:34

well today i frigged around on my buddy's truck so i only had little time for the project , but i did get the rear bumpstop and two new leaf hand sandblasted and primed,

i got myself a new paint gun , it is much better then the other one, the old one had a 2.0 tip and was wasting way too much paint, the new one has a 1.4 tip and is much better and makes a lot less overspray

here is the only pic of the day ,enjoy!
Old 11-05-10, 00:56
Bluebell

Default Paul

Now that you've done it, I don't think you are supposed to paint the spring leaves where they rub on each other. Can someone remind me why?
I like your paint colour, and have enjoyed your thread, with its many photos.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 11-05-10, 01:03

it is because they migth skeak a little grease fix that1
Old 13-05-10, 01:36

well today i got one side of the rear leaf togheter and installed on the frame , i got both bump stop on the rear of the frame, and i almost finished painting the other side of the rear leaf pack, i also ceaned up a bunch of bolts and nut ...lol . lots of work that look like nothing, but i tell you , i am happy that some stuff is making its way back on the frame!

here are the pics of the day, enjoy!

the first leaf pack hanged!

leaf and more harware painted , i will have to apint the other side tomorow

more painted parts!

more painted leafs

leaf all sanded ready for primer

bumpstop installed

new leaf hand installed, this is a brand new old stock!

and the passenger side leaf waiting for the rest of the pack
Old 13-05-10, 22:48

well today i had some pretty help from my girlfriend, aint she something! she stripped the front bumper in order to try and find some marking , we found some black some white and some yellow but nothing conclusive!, i also got the rear leaf all done and i have started to put the rear axle togheter , i spended about 4 and a half hour cleaning ,painting and chasing the tread on the hardware for the rear end so put it at 30 buck and hour my hardware is now worth 135 buck of labor plus material, could you imagine paying someone to do this kind of work!

any how here are the pics of the day enjoy!

my girlfriend working on the front bumper

unidentified marking

rear axle back in place

and the way i left it when i was done tonigth

oh! and my buddy randy took a picture of me working! he said he rarely saw it!
Old 14-05-10, 06:44
Dave Good

The yellow on the front bumper is most likely a bridge weight sign like the one on my right front bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
176-7680_IMG.JPG  
Old 14-05-10, 12:34

thanks , it is what i was suspecting , someone pointed me to armouredacorn.com last nigth and i found the same marking, really nice site i will have to buy the book
Old 18-05-10, 01:54

well today i did some work on the front bumper, i got it a lot straigther then it was, it had a meeting with a tree, so it is now strait i still have to get some dent and ding out of it and get the rest of the paint out , i also found one spot where it was looking like a bullet impact point but then again it would have hed to be low velocity, and i later found the same kind of hole in alsmost the exact same location on the other side of the bumper so i dont know what it is ..... oh and saturday my girlfriend bougth me an early birth day present! you will see it in the first pic!

any how here are the pics of the day! enjoy!

the early present ! a nice gas tank 1964!

front bumper bracket off

bullet impact? what is it? i dont know

one side straightened the other still crooked

in the press to remove the kink in the bumper, i was pressing very slowly and very carefully, it was scarry!

and how i left it at the end of the day, half stripped and half dented lol
Old 20-05-10, 01:44

well today was a little more productive then yesterday, yesterday i spended the day fixing and old mercury boat engine to sell it and get more $$ for the m-37 project! i got the bumper straigthened and i got the body filler on it sanded, then i got the first coat of prime on it and now it is a game of more ligth sanding! i also got the driver side bearing and hub in place on the rear axle, but the bummer is i forgot the clip holding the seal so ill have to take it off and put the clip tomorow, i oppened up one of the thin can that came with the truck thinking it was a whell bearing but it was something else i dont know where it goes but i will find out at some point, i put 2 picture of the bearing in the thin can to show how they use to store the spare bearing back in the day , it is pretty neat, it looks like a meat can...lol

anyhow here are the pics of the day , enjoy!

thin can and bearing

bumper straigth and ready for body filler

and after shot with the first layer of primer on

the hub i got togheter only to notice i forgot the clip holding the seal in place!

and the 2 clean rear shaft!
Old 20-05-10, 04:32

Default Did you remember to....

... heat up the can for 30 minutes in boiling water to make sure the bearing where tender before installing...... ketchup to taste !!!!

Following your progress with interest..... reminds me of my old days back in the early 70s........ 1970 not 1870.....

Boob
Canada
Old 20-05-10, 10:44

Default Great Job!

I have been following your restoration and you are doing a beautiful job!

Craig Tanner
Burton N.B.
Old 20-05-10, 12:42

thanks guys!
Old 21-05-10, 22:59

well today started out good , i got most of the front bumper straigth and i fiddled with detail while the body filler/primer/finishing putty dried, up until the day turned shocking, geez i still have a little cramp in the arm, the compressor plug decided it was time to burn out, it took the end of my heavy gage extension cord with it, stupid me picked it up and got buzzed pretty good, lucky enuf i did not get harmed, but i did loose some time fixing the damage and some cash, i ended up almost finishing the bumper

any how here are the pics of the day , enjoy!

prep on the rear shock

i guess they are monroe!

this is where i was at with the bumper when the shocking part of the day occured!

the responsible for the shock!

fixed up the damage, it wasn't easy finding a socket to fit such a big extension!

and this is where i left the bumper for the week end , monday i should be able to paint it!
Old 26-05-10, 22:06

well it finally stop raining so i got the 52 move out of the back yard and next to the fence, it was one hell of a redneck move....lol

here are the pics enjoy!ohh and a video

hovering truck!

truck on the move!
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/m...ete2010033.flv
new spot

close up of redneck transport

axle on the way!

truck is moved!
Old 27-05-10, 22:41

well today i finally got the bumper ready for paint! 3 day of sanding...few i hate body work...lol... and i got some prep work done on the remaining rear axle bolt and some of the shocks

anyhow here are the pictures of the day, enjoy!

shock ready to be prep

rear axle nut ready to paint

bumper ready for paint!

shock ready to sandblast

shock hardwre taken off the shocks
Old 29-05-10, 02:32

well today not much done, i frigged around with some more of the shock attachement, all 4 shock are ready for primer, i found some serial number on the front one, imagine they where not as disposable as the one of the present days are, a serial number they must have been made to last, and one of them has the serial number 574! wow early in the production run! i also got bot rear shaft sand blasted and ready for prime.

anyhow , here are the pics of the days! enjoy!

shock hardware again

shocks and shaft ready for primer

serial 574!

and serial 5124!