MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 03-01-07, 12:48

Default The same??

Well the Scandinavians do get along very well, but we have had our disputes and wars during the history but that's a long time ago now...

And the most important thing is that a MV is saved, not where.

And it has pussled me a long time why not all Chevs did get the 270 engine... It is a big different from the 216. But recon it has something to do with the english officials, they was not happy abouth those big engines... did it have something to do with the lisence calculated from horepowers needed to be payed every Year? But that should not be the biggest espences in wartime...

I also think I have heard that they called the Chevs "cauffins" when compared with Fords, i.e. when driving uphill to get away from enemy fire the Fords did get you away, but the Chevs did not...

Rolf
Old 03-01-07, 14:14
Dutch member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
But I wonder where his C15A went. Did it stay in Holland?
For me also a question !

Mvg. Dirk
Old 03-01-07, 14:30
former Resident Historian

Default 216 question

Rolf asks (sorry for the pun my friend, not intended) about the choice of 216 Chevy engine. Here is some information from the DND papers that I have posted before:

Quote:
Carmichael, the GM of Canada General Manager, was present at the trials [Ontario, early summer 1939] and he advised that the company were anxious to produce two units for testing by the DND, and that they could be made to any specification laid down. No mention of purchase was made and it was afterwards intimated to [Colonel N.O. Carr aka "No Car"] by Kirkhope [J.L. Kirkhope of GM of Canada] that there was no intention of selling the units to the DND. Carmichael was informed that Carr was ready to lay down a specification which in his opinion was the best to follow for two experimental vehicles; that he could see no special advantages in the designs then being called for if they were regarded from the viewpoint of the WD and the knowledge he possessed in regard to the latter’s aims, but he felt that it might be better to draw up a specification after consulting other possible consumers. Carmichael waved aside this proposal and intimated that the DND should produce what they thought was the best vehicle and left it to them to try to sell the idea abroad. He took him at his word, he said, and discussed in detail with the GM Chief Engineer, Armstrong, and Kirkhope the design to which he thought the two vehicles should be produced. This was that both vehicles were to be of minimum wheelbase, estimated to be approximately 108-inches. Both vehicles were to have the front end redesigned to admit of the driver being placed as far forward as possible. Armstrong suggested that he thought that by using the widest track available the driver could be positioned so that his feet were well up beside the engine. If this worked out satisfactorily then the loading space behind the driver should be equivalent or very nearly so, to that of the 15-cwt. [this must have been a reference to the 1938 GS Trucks]. Both vehicles were to be fitted with cowl and windscreen only and bucket seat. One vehicle was to be fitted with the standard Chevrolet [216] engine, and the other with a larger engine, which had only recently been developed, namely the [US 33.19 hp GMC] 248 cu. in 6-cylinder . One vehicle was to be fitted with 13.50 x 16 tyres and the other 9.00 x 16 tyres, single wheels all round. These specifications were presented to Armstrong as an ideal to be aimed for and a formal response in writing was promised. However, Carr envisaged a difficulty with the production of the wheels for the 9.00 x 16-inch tyres as the offset required on the front axle was very large. The double-flanged wheel as produced by Kelsey [Kelsey Wheel Company Limited, Windsor, Ontario] would not meet requirements. There was however a possible solution as India had ordered on their truck the fitment of 13.50 x 16-inch tyres and had told GM that they were to proceed with the obtaining of this equipment. This item had held up the production of the truck for India for some time as it was thought initially that the fitting of a wheel of this diameter would be impossible. The standard brake drum was about 14-inches in diameter, though after further study in conjunction with Timken, it had been decided to fit an 11 to 12-inch brake drum that would take a 16-inch wheel. If the spider of such a wheel was produced then in order to convert it to use with a 9.00 x 16-inch tyre would simply require the importation of the rim from [Dunlop?] England. It was further understood that 13.50 x 16 tyres were by then obtainable in the US and that the Dominion Rubber Company Limited were also about ready to start Canadian production as well. GM were then busily engaged on the 1940 Models [launched 20 October, engine production for 1939 Models stopped in June, and 1940 production started in August], hence Armstrong thought that it would be most unlikely that these two experimental trucks could be produced before the end of August, but ‘he would do his best’. Carr rode in the truck bound for Malaya, apparently around Durham County, which had been fitted with 13.50 x 20 tyres, and about 20 miles were covered on a back country road with a maximum obtained of 43 m.p.h. The truck was said to be very unstable as the final front-end geometry had not been set-up. However, the GMC truck, for that is what it was, allowed the disengaging the front axle and had an auxiliary gearbox [2-speed] providing for a total of 8 forward speeds and two reverse. Caldwell, the MGO, commented in handwriting on the original note that he found the information ‘very interesting’. He was of the opinion that it was advisable to go ahead on ‘our own design’ based on known British trends and concurred in Carr’s action in the matter. He commented ‘anything we produce on these lines which is satisfactory to us is likely to be at least generally satisfactory to other Empire countries’. There is no direct evidence but circumstantial information from Stan Ellis’s letter of 10 November 1939 from London which is set out in greater detail below, seems to suggest that one of these trucks was shipped to England and tested in the autumn...
My comment: this seems to suggest that GM of Canada had agreed in late 1939 to produce two ‘1940’ model GMC-based trucks based on a cowl and windscreen only and Forward-control. Reference to a 108-inch wheelbase suggests that the discussion was concerning the 1940 Models Maple Leaf 1858 and GMC 9858 C.O.E. 2-ton chassis with cowl which normally had either the 216 Chevrolet unit or the larger 224 GMC unit, and the GMC 248 would have been a special fitment. GM of Canada therefore agreed to design their two pilot trucks loosely to WD-specification. Did they however agree to add their own cab design to WD requirements? It is more likely though that GM delegated the cab design for fitment to GM chassis to Ford of Canada, no mention having being made to Oshawa building a cab: quote: ‘both vehicles were to be fitted with cowl and windscreen only and bucket seat’. Fords were at the time occupied with the DND 15-cwt. GS 4x 2 Trucks with the WD-specification cab, and an adaptation thereof went into series production.

The Canadian GMC 248.4 cu in. unit had a bore and stroke of 3 23/32 x 3 13/16 and production started in August 1940 and finished in June 1941: 6,573 in 1940 and 10,464 in 1941. Compare this with total 216 (and 224?) production for 1940 and 1941: 71,627 and 106,935! No attempt was made to produce the 270 GMC unit in Walkerville. As you know the 270, imported from the US plants was requested for the C60X, and then installed in armoured CMPs. However, Ford offered their Lincoln Zephyr V-12 for a 6-wheeler CMP, and the Chrysler straight eight was trailled in a VC60X airportable. Why the Chevy-based Pontiac 224 was not chosen as this offered more power, and was used in Maple Leaf trucks, I have no idea. I can only surmise that the commonality with the US 216 that was mass-produced, and the thought of spare parts supplies in the future, led to the adoption of the 216.
Old 08-01-07, 19:07

Default Shottersbrooke in the 1970's

Quote:
Originally posted by Les Freathy
Way back in the 1970s at Shottersbrooke and the John Carter rallies a 30cwt wireless,is this yours Vic ?
The 12 cab Chev may well be mine, if it is then it was owned by Richard Beddall at this time

Pete
Old 08-01-07, 22:32

Default radio truck

HELLO PETE
Are you saying it was richard beddal that rallied the radio truck in the seventies if so do you know if he is still around as i have often wondered what happened to the rear body heater the instruction plate was still laying in the back when i got it so its poss it was there at some time.
regards vic .
Old 08-01-07, 23:44

Default Re: radio truck

Quote:
Originally posted by victor eaton
HELLO PETE
Are you saying it was richard beddal that rallied the radio truck in the seventies if so do you know if he is still around as i have often wondered what happened to the rear body heater the instruction plate was still laying in the back when i got it so its poss it was there at some time.
regards vic .
Hello Vic

no I'm referring to the 12 cab C15A Chev parked next to it I'm afraid

Pete
Old 08-01-07, 23:50

Default RADIO TRUCK

HI PETE
Thanks for reply do you still have your truck from those days they seem a long way off now dont they we still keep ploding along but no rallys these days most have gone from this aerea so its just short trips around the local town etc
regards vic .
Old 09-01-07, 07:00

Back in the late 1990s these photos appeared in a magazine asking if the CMP had survived, to my knowledge it was a no reply. It was parked up near Invergowrie Bay in Scotland, well did it survive?
cheers
Les
Attached Thumbnails
mlu10.jpg  
Old 14-01-07, 13:50

Default Chev Wrecker...

John Marchent's Chev wrecker @ auction
Attached Thumbnails
chevwrecker700x475.jpg  
Old 14-01-07, 13:56

Default Rare Truck...

Photo taken at auction when John Marchent sold it.
Where is it now?.....
Attached Thumbnails
raretruck700pixel.jpg  
Old 14-01-07, 15:31
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Chev Wrecker...

Quote:
Vic, see the top of this thread: John Marchant's Chevrolet C60S Wrecker is now owned by Jon Newbold. He bought it as it is the very same truck his father used to drive. It has now been restored and is still working for a living. See Chev CMP restorations in the UK for more recent pictures of this C60S.

H.
Old 14-01-07, 15:34
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Rare Truck...

Quote:
Photo taken at auction when John Marchent sold it.
Where is it now?.....
Last thing I heard of it: according to Steve Stone this F60H is now in bits in someone's yard.

H.
Old 14-01-07, 15:39
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Chev Wrecker...

Quote:
Vic, in the background of your pic I see Marchant's C15TA, I read it sold for Ł2,550 at his retirement sale back in 1999. I'd love to see a better pic of it and get an answer to the question: where it is now?

H.

Pic source: C15TA survivors
Attached Images

Old 14-01-07, 19:04

Default Re: Re: Chev Wrecker...

Quote:
Vic, in the background of your pic I see Marchant's C15TA, I read it sold for Ł2,550 at his retirement sale back in 1999. I'd love to see a better pic of it and get an answer to the question: where it is now?
Hanno,

Look back at W&T No. 17, it was on the front cover, just after he restored it, also inside it is featured in a Before and After.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 14-01-07, 20:35
MLU Administrator

Default Re: C15TAA

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
Look back at W&T No. 17, it was on the front cover, just after he restored it, also inside it is featured in a Before and After.
Thanks Richard, but that is John's C15TAA armoured ambulance. This now lives in the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

But John also had a regular C15TA which he sold in 1999 - see small pic above - but nobody can tell me where it's gone.

H.
Old 14-01-07, 21:08

Default Re: Re: C15TAA

Quote:
But John also had a regular C15TA which he sold in 1999 - see small pic above - but nobody can tell me where it's gone.
Hanno,

Apologies......too quick off the mark. I do have the auction catalogue somewhere with the prices reached, but don't suppose I put buyers down unless I knew them.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 21-01-07, 17:47

A couple more of more recent times at War and Piece last year
Les
Attached Thumbnails
mlu1.jpg   mlu2.jpg  
Old 23-01-07, 16:17

that c15ta is/was owned by an old fella whos name escapes me, but lived nottingham way, uk he was doing an impressive job of rebuilding and putting right what was previously a real bodge restoration at the time. i bought a weapons carrier from him and the c15ta was his pride and joy amongst his collection which didn't seem far from finished when i saw it in 2003ish???
Old 16-08-07, 00:17

Came across a few more CMPs for this thread first more on the Scananavian GMC 6x6
Attached Thumbnails
mlu2.jpg  
Old 16-08-07, 00:19

John Marchants GMC armoured ambulance at Southsea i think on its first or second season following a total restoration
Attached Thumbnails
mlu3.jpg  
Old 16-08-07, 00:20

A couple more GMC armoured trucks
cheers
Les
Attached Thumbnails
mlu4.jpg  
Old 02-03-08, 23:12

I could not make up my mind as to where this shot should go but found this one so here goes, This ex military has to have been the armoured truck at one time and seen here in 1957 with a much modified front, cab and stretched chassis. This photo was taken at Brighton in Sussex during the annual speed trials on Madiera Drive and would have been a support vehicles
Attached Images

Old 04-03-08, 11:34

Default Tom Bewick/Bob Simmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor eaton View Post
Yes i would say that is tom in the driving seat he towed a tipper all the way from LUXEMBERG to ABERDEEN scotland over severn hundred miles toms still around
Certainly a much younger Tom Bewick and equally as young Bob Simmers of Aberdeen.

Ian
Old 27-03-09, 14:47

Default Seen in France, 15 years ago

Guys,
I was having a browse though some old D.Day tour photos the other night, and came across this one, which shows a 12 cab FAT, complete with limber and 25 pounder. All I know is that it belonged to a chap from Paris, who drove it to the Normandy area for the 50th anniversary.
enjoy
Keith
Attached Thumbnails
1994 toura.jpg  
Old 22-07-09, 11:11
MLU Administrator

I came across http://miliblog.co.uk, a "sort of on-line museum and database" website run by a certain Mr. Simon Sage, who has been in the HMV scene quite long appararently.

Mr. Sage provides a nice overview of pictures of preserved CMP's taken at shows over the years at http://miliblog.co.uk/?cat=159. Where are they now?

Check for other vehicle types too, hundreds of pictures on this site.

- Hanno
Old 10-11-09, 06:02

Default Ford CMP Ambulance- Where is it now

Back in the late 60s as a teenager I visited a Sugarcane farm near Sarina Queensland and saw a complete Ambulance in quite good condition'.
I was later told it had been sold to a restorer so I would think it would now belong to someone on this site. Anyone with this history on your Ambulance?

Does the site have a listing of members vehicles??
REMLR Member 225
Old 30-11-10, 13:49
MLU Administrator

Similar F30 Cab 12, source miliblog.co.uk

Also: where is it now?
Attached Thumbnails
nggshowCAOY314J.jpg  
Old 08-12-10, 15:52
Kostas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
F30 L4404659 pictured at the Tilbury Fort event, featured in Military Machines International, Feb.2002 issue.
..seen at Military Machines International Vol.1 Issue 6 (Nov 2001) also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F30_war & peace 2001_.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	38791Name:  F30 L4404659_Tilbury Fort event_MMInt_Feb2002 issue.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  83.3 KB
1940 NORTON 16H (project waiting)
Old 11-05-11, 12:34
Kostas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Freathy View Post
A couple more of more recent times at War and Piece last year
Les
The HUP with door number CZ4238445 belongs to Kim Frost Fuglsang from Kopenhagen, Denmark, and she has changed paint scheme since Beltring of 2001.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CZ4238445_Beltring 2001_c4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	41655

..and how she looks today:
Name:  1_CZ4238445.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  69.0 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  63.8 KBName:  11.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  40.1 KB
1940 NORTON 16H (project waiting)

Last edited by Haridimos; 28-07-11 at 18:53.
Old 03-03-12, 00:23
Niels Vegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haridimos View Post
The HUP with door number CZ4238445 belongs to Kim Frost Fuglsang from Kopenhagen, Denmark, and she has changed paint scheme since Beltring of 2001.
I am pretty sure those to are not the same vehicle. the one in Denmark was in pretty bad shape and requiered restoration when Kim and the other owner got it.
1955 Austin Champ, 04BF45

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 03-03-12 at 08:39. Reason: Formatting