MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 10-02-10, 23:41

Default Three Rivers Regiment - 12th Armoured, The Ontario -11th Armoured The Fort Garry 10th

Hi,

Have been checking the National Archive records at Kew, looking for the war diaries for The Three Rivers, The Ontario and The Fort Garry Regiments but with no luck. Have tried all combinations plus going under the appropriate No. Armoured Reg, still nothing.

Did any of these come under any other names please. Have asked Kew but they are also unable to help.

Any ideas please.

Pam
Old 11-02-10, 00:45

Pam, The War Diaries are Canadian documents. They are held by Library and Archives Canada. (LAC). What exactly are you looking for?
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/index-e.html
Old 11-02-10, 03:47
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Kew and Canadian War Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Wilson View Post
Hi,

Have been checking the National Archive records at Kew, looking for the war diaries for The Three Rivers, The Ontario and The Fort Garry Regiments but with no luck. Have tried all combinations plus going under the appropriate No. Armoured Reg, still nothing.

Did any of these come under any other names please. Have asked Kew but they are also unable to help.

Any ideas please.

Pam
Hi Pam;

1. - The Canadian War Diaries held by Kew are located under file: Series details WO 179

Title: War Office: Canadian, South African, New Zealand and Indian (United Kingdom) Forces (Dominion Forces): War Diaries, Second World War
Covering dates: 1939-1946

2. - Try using the following combinations for each (along with their Unit Serial Number):

a. - for the Three Rivers Regiment, under their Unit Serial No. - 108, try the following:
- The Three Rivers Regiment (Tank)
- 12th Canadian Army Tank Battalion (The Three Rivers Regiment (Tank))
- 12th Canadian Army Tank Regiment (Three Rivers Regiment (Tank))
- 12th Canadian Armoured Regiment (Three Rivers Regiment)

b. - for the Ontario Regiment, under their Unit Serial No. - 229, try the following:
- The Ontario Regiment (Tank)
- 11th Canadian Army Tank Battalion (The Ontario Regiment (Tank))
- 11th Canadian Army Tank Regiment (The Ontario Regiment (Tank))
- 11th Canadian Armoured Regiment (The Ontario Regiment)

c. - for the Fort Garry Horse, under their Unit Serial No. - 153, try the following:
- The Fort Garry Horse
- 10th Canadian Armoured Regiment (Fort Garry Horse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Alexander View Post
Pam, The War Diaries are Canadian documents. They are held by Library and Archives Canada. (LAC). What exactly are you looking for?
Hi Bill;

Copies of Canadian War Diaries are held at Kew, they were sent to the British as CMHQ prepared the diaries for shipment back to Canada in 1946-1947. LAC hold the actual ‘hard’ copies.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 11-02-10 at 03:58.
Old 11-02-10, 09:24

Default Three Rivers etc

Thanks Mark.

Easy when you know how. If I had left the th off 12 I may have found them.

Kept on finding a lot of HQ and 2A Tk Coy, any idea what they may be? Last time I went to Kew I did check out the Accomodation files that you suggested, but there was nothing in them as to where any billets were located.

Thanks once again.

Pam

Last edited by Pam Wilson; 11-02-10 at 09:36.
Old 11-02-10, 15:38
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: location statements and other questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Wilson View Post
Thanks Mark.

Easy when you know how. If I had left the th off 12 I may have found them.

Kept on finding a lot of HQ and 2A Tk Coy, any idea what they may be? Last time I went to Kew I did check out the Accomodation files that you suggested, but there was nothing in them as to where any billets were located.

Thanks once again.

Pam
Hi Pam;

1. - in regards to ‘The Canadian Army Location Statements’, I have sent you by e-mail the contact information for Michael Ockenden, the author of 'Canucks by the Sea - The Canadian Army in Eastbourne during the Second World War'. Michael should be able to give you an exact location reference for these documents held at Kew or he may supply them from his own files.

2. - in regards to ‘HQ’, it is the abbreviation for Headquarters

3. - in regards to ‘2A Tk Coy’, it is the abbreviation for the 2nd Infantry Anti-Tank Company of 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade of the 1st Canadian Division. This company served as the anti-tank defence asset of the units of 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade, under control of Headquarters, 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade from approximately 9 November 1939 to 5 February 1941.

4. - I never thought of it until reading your post, but the files at Kew refer to units as, i.e. 12 Canadian Armoured Regiment (Three Rivers Regiment) or 11 Canadian Army Tank Regiment. Drop the st, nd, rd, th and use only the number, i.e. 12, 10, etc.

Cheers