MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 05-02-09, 12:09

Default Blitz to 12 volt

can anyone help me have started to change over an c60l to 12 volt changed coil and condenser now i need to change to a 12 volt alternater what would be the best type any help would be appriciated thanks steve hartley
Old 05-02-09, 14:56

Default Have you done a search on past threads

Hi Steve

As you can guess your question has come up before, if you have not done so already try a search on phrases like "6 volt conversion" you will see some of the past thoughts and discussion.

What part of the world are you in as this will help in pointing you to parts sources?

The issue of conversion from 6 volt to 12 volt particularly on the Chevy is why are you making the change? Which will really effect what changes you need to make to convert over. Poor starting performance for example may or may not be fixed by changing to 12 volts.

I have a C60S and a C60L both are still running the 6 volt batteries without problems one of them is running a 261 engine which is higher compression using a 12 volt starter with the 6 volt battery and starts with not problem.

Many of my friends who run CCKWs here in the states have made the conversion without much difficulty. Things CMP Chevy that need to be changed that I can think of include the following:
Generator or alternator many of the HOT ROD Chevy places have straight conversions.
Instruments including fuel gages and fuel senders
Voltage regulators
Coil may not need to be changed if you add the standard voltage dropping resistor.
Light bulbs all of them

Most of my friends who have converted their CCKWs do not bother changing the starter as the 6 volt starter will normally handle it fine. Do change the brushes and clean the armature and be sure the bolts are all tight. There have been some issues with 12 volt starters and original 216 ring gear. The wrong combination will not engage correctly.

Cheers
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 05-02-09, 18:46
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Default 6-12 Volt Conversion Booklet

Steve,
I used and recommend the booklet, "The Official 12-Volt Conversion Guide" by Randy Rundle. I picked it up on eBay. It was a lot of help!

Regards,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-070S.JPG  
Old 06-02-09, 12:41

Steve,

I put up some stuff on this subject some time ago but can't remember the thread.

Changing to 12 volt has many advantages such as readily and cheaply available electrical parts.

12 volt creates a briskly starting engine without the worry of a slow cranking 6 volt system.

You can get a jump start from every car if required.

Nice bright headlights.

You can charge and use your mobile phone, GPS, Ipod etc

I have done many conversions including my 1945 Chevrolet Utility I am putting on the ship next week to drive from Istanbul to Normandy. It has the 216 engine the same as your CMP.

The original starter motor is fine and I have had Chevrolets converted to 12 volt that have done thousands of trouble-free starts. If it is working now there is no need to overhaul it in any way.

There is no need to change the generator to a 12 volt generator or alternator. The original generator puts out 30+ volts unregulated. All you need do is replace the voltage regulator with a 12 volt one (I used a 60's Holden Delco but ANY brand 12 volt regulator will do). If you have the original adjustable regulator this can be tweeked up to 12 volts without changing anything but can be unreliable if it is getting old and worn - $10 for a regulator from the wreckers is cheaper than $70 an hour for an auto electrician!

As you say the coil and condensor need to be replaced with a 12 volt version (make sure you get internal resistor coil). Any 12 volt condensor that will fit in the distributor will do - take your old one and compare screw holes and wire length to pick a good fit.

Lights need replacing - take the opportunity to fit sealed beams or QH globe type for modern lighting performance. You can just get 12 volt globes to stick in the old, and probably dull reflector, headlights. All the other light globes need replacing.

Fuel Guage is easily fixed by getting a 6-12 volt inline resistor available for a couple of dollars at most restoration, vintage parts and hotrod supply places.

If your vehicle has been fitted with electric wipers they will be too fast so you will need another (larger) inline resistor - talk to your Dick Smith type electrical supply place.

The horn will work fine on 12 volts if you put it on the bench with a 12 volt battery or battery charger and just touch the + wire to the horn terminal (body earthed to battery) then slowly turn the adjusting screw until the horn sings in an ear-pleasing manner. Use the touch test between adjustments, don't fasten the + lead onto the horn or you might cook it.

If you have all the parts on hand it will take you an hour to do the conversion.

Lang

Last edited by Lang; 06-02-09 at 12:50.
Old 06-02-09, 16:03

Default Another source for the voltage conversion booklet

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/
Available here any time for $US10.00 plus the usual shipping etc., no need to wait for an auction. I haven't dealt with them but they've been advertising in Hemmings for quite a few years.
They also sell alternator pulleys to fit a variety of belt sizes and brackets to mount alternators to either Chev of Ford engines of the vintage used on CMPs.

Note to administrators: We seem to have two voltage conversion threads running, should consideration be given to merging them?
Old 11-02-09, 05:31

thanks lang will let you know how i go good luck with your trip harto