MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 10-08-10, 01:01

Default Another New Member

Hi all Maple Leaf Carrier Forum. My name is Stephen DeMocko and I though it was time to introduce myself. I have recently become the new owner of a Canadian MK2. I spent some time on this sight trying to soak up as much info as possible until a carrier that met my budget could be acquired. I am a Mechanical Engineer living and working in Southern California, USA. I have been lusting for a carrier for a while now only satisfying my urges with pictures from both of Nigel’s books. I currently have manuals on the way and in the mail. My carrier is a solid very low rust tub that ran/drives with a post war flathead and truck transmission. All the original steering and controls are gone and the bulk head was cut to allow a rear seating position, straddling the shift lever of the too far forward mounted drive train. I have spent the last couple of weeks pulling the drive train and cutting out all the non original parts. Which means I have cut out everything and after this last weekend have basically a bare tub. Some of you have already been kind enough to answer my questions or send me drawings and pictures. I want to thank you all for the information I have already received as a lurker, and hopefully for the future help you all know, someone who has been infected with the Universal Carrier disease needs.
Thanks,
Stephen DeMocko
Old 10-08-10, 03:00
Terry Warner

Default fitting into your carrier

Welcome!

As you are taking out the "new" and putting in the "old", bear in mind that the average British soldier (and his larger Canadian chum and lankier Aussie mate), was a scrawny little guy compared to today's well fed, healthy soldiers. A man over 6' tall was uncommon. If you want to drive your carrier, be prepared to be squeezed in all dimensions!

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 10-08-10, 03:57

Terry, LOL. Do we know each other? You nailed me right on the head. I’m 6’2”, 195 lbs of leaner than average muscle
Old 10-08-10, 04:54

Default no problem...

Hello Stephen and welcome. Don't let your stature spoil your fun.

I stand 6'6 and my passion is Tanks, Ferrets, Carriers and Landrovers of all things. Yes it's a bit of a squeeze at times but so is a Ford Fairlane !

Cheers

Phill
Daimler Ferret Mk 2
Land Rover S2A Field Workshop
Land Rover S3 FItted For Radio x2
Land Rover Perentie GS (SASR)
International No 1 Mk 3 2.5 Ton 4x4
International No 1 Mk 4 2.5 Ton 4x4
Old 10-08-10, 18:47

Default My new/old MKII

My carrier, which my friends have nick named "Frank the Tank" after a character that the actor Will Ferrell played in a movie, is actually painted orange. That is not rust, at least not much rust.This is my first time uploading a photo I hope it works out ok.
Attached Thumbnails
At Home.jpg   Universal Carrier.JPG   empty tub.jpg   Engines Out.jpg  
Old 10-08-10, 19:48
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Mr.De...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeMocko View Post
My carrier, which my friends have nick named "Frank the Tank" after a character that the actor Will Ferrell played in a movie, is actually painted orange. That is not rust, at least not much rust.This is my first time uploading a photo I hope it works out ok.
Hi Steve..
Welcome..That is not an original Carrier engine but a Flat head Ford or Merc engine from a post war vehicle..1949 or newer...(The dist changed from the front to top in '49..)
Which is even better..
The exhaust manifolds are joined together by a cross over pipe which goes around the front of the engine to connect both manifolds so that you have a single exhaust..They were able to do this once they moved that early evil distributor and relocate it at the front,topside ,now easier to service and a cinch to tune up.
I put enough of the old Blue Streak points in my early Fords to fill a bucket..
Looks like you are going to have to make a couple of trips up here for parts..You'll do fine..
Lots of help here..
Anyway welcome and copy and paste this somewhere..I'm sure you will uses.
it and glad you hooked up with Mr.Manual..

Ford Flathead Ident and specs..

In 1938 Ford made new changes to the flathead V8, the most obvious change being the use of 24 studs per head instead of 21 as previously used. The engine underwent various other changes as years passed.
In 1939 when the Mercury car line was introduced, the engine's cylinder bore was opened up for a larger displacement in the Mercury car. Changes to the distributor occurred in 1942 and again in 1946.

The cooling fan was driven by its own v-belt beginning with 1942 models. The engine continued to be cast with the upper bell housing integral with the cylinder block assembly. In the post-war production both Ford and Mercury versions had the larger bore (3-3/16").

Water outlets were in the top center of each cylinder head for all 1938 to 48 motors. Water pumps were mounted in the lower front corners of all blocks from this era, and doubled as the front motor mounting pad.
Flathead Specifications
221 & 239 Cubic Inch

Middle Years V8: 1938 to 1948

1946-48 (59A style) pictured above
In 1938 Ford made new changes to the flathead V8, the most obvious change being the use of 24 studs per head instead of 21 as previously used. The engine underwent various other changes as years passed.
In 1939 when the Mercury car line was introduced, the engine's cylinder bore was opened up for a larger displacement in the Mercury car. Changes to the distributor occurred in 1942 and again in 1946.

The cooling fan was driven by its own v-belt beginning with 1942 models. The engine continued to be cast with the upper bell housing integral with the cylinder block assembly. In the post-war production both Ford and Mercury versions had the larger bore (3-3/16").

Water outlets were in the top center of each cylinder head for all 1938 to 48 motors. Water pumps were mounted in the lower front corners of all blocks from this era, and doubled as the front motor mounting pad.

Year_______Displacement(CI)______Bore & Stroke(Inches)_MaxBHP____CR________Head Studs_______notes
1938 Ford...............221.........................3.0 625 x 3.750................85..............6.20:1....... ..........24..................1,4
1939 Ford...............221.........................3.0 625 x 3.750................85..............6.20:1....... ..........24..................1,4
1939 Mercury..........239.........................3.187 5 x 3.750................95..............6.30:1....... ..........24..................1,4
1940 Ford...............221.........................3.0 625 x 3.750................85..............6.20:1....... ..........24..................1,4
1940 Mercury..........239.........................3.187 5 x 3.750................95..............6.30:1....... ..........24..................1,4
1941 Ford...............221.........................3.0 625 x 3.750................90..............6.20:1....... ..........24..................1,4
1941 Mercury..........239.........................3.187 5 x 3.750...............100..............6.60:1....... ..........24..................1,4
1942 Ford...............221.........................3.0 625 x 3.750................90..............6.20:1....... ..........24..................2,4,6
1942 Mercury..........239.........................3.187 5 x 3.750...............100..............6.60:1....... ..........24..................2,4,6
1946 Ford/Mercury...239.........................3.1875 x 3.750...............100..............6.75:1....... ..........24..................3,5,6
1947 Ford/Mercury...239.........................3.1875 x 3.750...............100..............6.75:1....... ..........24..................3,5,6
1948 Ford/Mercury...239.........................3.1875 x 3.750...............100..............6.75:1....... ..........24..................3,5,6

Notes:
1) Used the "Eggshell" or "Diver's Helmet" style pre-war distributor (1932 thru 1941)
2) Used the "Crab" or "Pancake" style distributor (1942 thru 1945 engines).
3) Used the postwar style (1946 thru 1948) round distributor (similar to the crab style) with two bundled wire harnesses off the cap.
4) Prewar "81A" and wartime "41A" style blocks.
5) Postwar "59A" style blocks. These had the "59" cast into the top of the bell housing. Note that some of the 59A style blocks were also sold as replacement engines for pre-war 221 cubic inch cars and had the 3.0625" bore.
6) Had the two fan belt system (beginning with 1942 models) to drive the accessories. One belt operated the water pumps and generator. The other belt operated the cooling fan assembly.

General Information
The integral cast-in bell housing continued all the way through 1948 (except for the Ford trucks, which received in 1948 the newer '49-53 style engine with separate bell housing). All engines during this period had front, block-mounted water pumps (with wide belt pulleys), and twenty-four stud heads with center-located water hose outlets. Original cylinder heads for 1938 to 1942 were generally marked with "81A" for Ford or Mercury engines thru 1941; "81T" for truck engines from 1938 to 1942; "41T" heads were sold for 85/90hp trucks built from 1938 to 1942; "99T" for 100hp Ford Truck and Mercury in 1939 to 1941; and "29A" for Mercury in 1942. Heads marked "59-A" or "59AB" were used on all 90/100 hp (Ford & Mercury) engines from 1946 through 1948. The 59AB heads were sometimes used on earlier blocks in replacement rebuilds. You can find the Ford part numbers (basic 6049 and 6050 number with prefixes and suffixes) in the face of the heads and sometimes on the side edge of the head next to the intake manifold.

Additional information
The postwar cylinder blocks were also marked "59" (or "59A" or "59L" or "59X" or "59Y" or "59Z") with raised letters cast into the top of the bell housing part of the block. The Canadian version had a "C59" cast into the same area. Another block assembly (the "41A" style) was used to replace the "81A" style cylinder blocks, which were all the 85/90hp engines with 3.0625" bore. The 1938 to 1940 blocks had four small "freeze plugs" (2 each side) in the oil pan mounting surface. The 1941 (except for a short carryover) and later blocks did not have the freeze plugs. These can be noted from outside an assembled engine by the slight "bumps" in the side of the block casting, right at the oil pan mounting surface. In mid 1938 Ford modified the engine for larger diameter main bearings. For complete crankshaft bearing specs CLICK HERE. The original engines from mid 1941 to final 1942 production (when WWII ended auto production) had a raised intake manifold deck surface. Prior to these engines, the entire manifold deck surface was machined flat, right out to the edge of the cylinder deck. The postwar engines seem to have returned to the practice of machining the intake deck all flat again. The foundry would also place what were probably "lot" or "production" numbers in the castings on all blocks. These were usually a small group of letters and numbers cast on the top of the bell housing....right next to the vertical surface of the back of the block. Unfortunately, any records of these numbers are long gone and they provide no clues as to the particulars of any engines.

Water jacket holes in the top of the cylinder area of the block will tell you what years the block may be:

1938 Blocks: Large triangular shaped holes between the center cylinder bores

1939-42 Blocks: Three openings between the center cylinder bores: top one is triangular;
center and bottom holes are trapazoidal (or keystone) shaped.

1945-48 Blocks: The three center openings: top one is triangular;
center and bottom holes are large round holes.

All 24 stud engines using cast iron heads were equipped with dome-top pistons (in either aluminum or steel). Engines built through 1939 had a pressed-on timing gear on the camshaft. Beginning in 1940 this gear was bolted on to the camshaft. All engines up through 1948 had "mushroom" style valve stem ends and split valve guides. Some engines (including 59A style) had removable hardened valve seat inserts. It's not uncommon for an early (pre 1946) engine to have the valve seats installed by an engine rebuilder at some point in its life.

As for original paint colors, the Ford and Mercury engines through 1940 were a dark green. Ford cars continued the color until 1942. Mercury engine had a dark blue color from 1941 thru 1948. Postwar Ford engines were dark blue thru 1948. Ford truck engines were generally the same as Ford cars during the years of this group.

Go to 1932-48 Tune-Up Specifications

Go to Engine Parts Drawings Page

Return to Engine Specifications Page

Return to Flathead V8 Homepage

Copyright 2010 - VANPELT PARTS & SERVICE - All rights reserved www.vanpeltsales.com
Old 10-08-10, 21:29
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Transmission question..

Hi group..
Steve PM'ed me with this question..

Alex,
Thanks for the great info. I was wondering if you could answer a transmission question for me. With the transmission I have can I
1) Remove that drive line brake
2) Fabricate and bolt up a collar
3) Buy and bolt on that output shaft gear and be good

Or… do I have to get a carrier specific case and a different output shaft?
Thanks,
Stephen

I think with a tail shaft housing change and a fabbed up drive shaft he should be away..he shouldn't need the brake assembly housing..of am I wrong..?
Don't have my parts manuals anymore so can't remember if the brake assembly can be removed from the tail shaft and the housing assembly remain as is or not..and then go from there..

But then again I don't know exactly which transmission he has..

FORUM members...???
Input please..
(It is a '49+ FLAT HEAD..WE KNOW THAT ABOUT IT..)
Old 10-08-10, 22:12
Terry

Hello Steve

Welcome to the rusty old OD steel, musty smelling stinky MV collectors thing , I hope your carrier project is everything you envision, If you need any help feel free to ask as always.

PS I have a CMP that is very homestick for its carrier friend as they were together for many years , gee maybe if your MVitus gets real bad we will have to send it south to warmer clime's so they can have a reunion , maybe you should talk to your better half `?

1942ish F15441-M
Old 10-08-10, 22:13
Bluebell

Default Alex

He will require the short output shaft (internal thread, not the big external thread) and the carrier specific ring that bolts to the rear of the std ford g/box housing. He will also require the long clutch release lever. Best way is to locate the whole box, with all the bits if he can.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 27-08-10, 02:54

Default Nuby Question

OK I have the manuals and they are very detailed and have answered a lot of questions. It also seems very convenient to have all the original part numbers until you try and find new parts. For example are the large seals on either side of the Gear Box Coupling page 14 of the illustrated parts catalogue available to purchase new? Part numbers C01UC105387 and C011UC-105759 are what I am using as my examples. I get nothing when doing searches on every number I have tried so far. Is there a place to cross reference? Even on a web site like MAC’s they seem to be non-existent. Do you think a manual like

http://macsautoparts.com/early-ford-...0JOS0Q1000002E

would be helpful? Thanks for any light you can shed.
Old 27-08-10, 15:54

Default Have you tried Motion Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeMocko View Post
OK I have the manuals and they are very detailed and have answered a lot of questions. It also seems very convenient to have all the original part numbers until you try and find new parts. For example are the large seals on either side of the Gear Box Coupling page 14 of the illustrated parts catalogue available to purchase new? Part numbers C01UC105387 and C011UC-105759 are what I am using as my examples. I get nothing when doing searches on every number I have tried so far. Is there a place to cross reference? Even on a web site like MAC’s they seem to be non-existent. Do you think a manual like

http://macsautoparts.com/early-ford-...0JOS0Q1000002E

would be helpful? Thanks for any light you can shed.
Hi

I have had very good luck finding bearings, seals, and speedy-sleeves through Motion Industries https://www.motionindustries.com they have local dealers all over the US and Canada. If you can not find the seals by number they have size listings, also many of their dealers have collections of catalogs with listings by size.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 29-08-10, 17:47

Default Welcome

Welcome to the Carrier Club .I am also a over 6 ft 200lb Carrier fanatic .
with a MK1.Just took theCarrierthrough aTim Hortons drive throughon the way to the A&W Car show on thurs
Jeff
Old 30-08-10, 03:19
Terry Warner

Default Tim's and carriers

They have a corporate rule that customers must be in motorized vehicles at the 'drive through' or no service. Some joker on a horse couldn't get his Double Double* and got annoyed. For whatever excuse/illogical conclusion/policy misinterpretation the manager wouldn't budge, and headquarters backed him. The rider ruined it for everyone, obviously except Right Hand Drive light tracked carriers. Could you twist in your seat enough to extract your wallet without skinning a knee?

*Canadian code for 2 milk and 2 sugars in their takeout coffee.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 31-08-10, 01:18

Default Thanks all

Thank you all that replied to my questions and to the warm welcomes I received as being a new member of the community. Thank you Phil, I like and use Motion and other similar venders on a regular basis as part of my job. I was hoping for someone to respond, O-Yea gust go to this website www.allyouranswershere.com but I guess the simple answer is that those old numbers just don’t cross over to current available parts. I am told by Big Mike, thanks for all the help so far, that I just need to be looking for parts for a Ford truck. I have to admit to not really being up on all the models Ford put out at that time period. In doing some searching I see part for a light truck. I am thinking that those are not what I am looking for. Should I be looking for part numbers with a description of commercial truck or just truck in them? I am starting to be able to tell what must be Carrier specific parts like I assume the two seals between the trans and diff that I used as my examples. Part numbers C01UC105387 and C011UC-105759, by the way I really do need these and am curious what people use.
Lastly it has been brought to my attention that by nick-naming my carrier “Frank the Tank” that some may have thought I was belittling those that fought and lost there lives while operating these unique and wonderful vehicles. Those that were offended I would like to whole heartily apologize and say that was in no way my intention. I have the most respect for those that served in that war and the other conflicts that followed. I am proud to count several that fit that description among my friends. I understand that the norm when choosing a name if any, is to choose a female name but I just thought the rhyme was catchy and I didn’t realize it might be taken as flippant or disrespectful. Once again thank you to this wonderful forum.
Old 11-10-10, 19:40
Terry

Steve

pls shoot me an Email, seem to have lost yours, I have something you may want.

I sent you an email but not sure if you got it a few weeks back.

1942ish F15441-M