MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 18-02-05, 01:43

Default Regina Rifles

Hello
Thanks

I have a passenger list of a convoy departing Halifax on April 44 and was trying to find out what the name of the troop ship might have been?
I will print everything from the top of the page!!!

P.M.O.
Reinforcements
Infantry
S/L. 3806 ( No.7 Canadian Infantry Reinforcements Unit)
Embarked at Halifax Date 4/4/44 E-817

List of names:

Number Rank Name Original District
There are 4 names showing only rank , name , and district as below.

------ Lieut. John Doe M.D. 7
------ Lieut. John Doe M.D. 6
G-1467 Pte. Long, L.F. Blank for district.

At the bottom of the page is the totals: Off. = 4
Ors. = 181
Total = 185
Also what does the MD7---MD 6 mean?

Thanks
Jim
Old 18-02-05, 15:16
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Regina Rifles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Also what does the MD7---MD 6 mean?
Hi Jim;

MD 6 - Military District No. 6 - the provinces Nova Scotia and P.E.I.

MD 7 - Military District No. 7 - the province of New Brunswick

Cheers
Old 18-02-05, 16:18
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Regina Rifles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
to Mark from an earlier reply post to me:

From mark
TOS from X4 list NSR(NB) unit-RRR place- 21AGp = taken on strength from the reinforcement list for the North Shore Regiment by the Regina Rifle Regiment, 21st Army GroupThanks

Would this mean he was with the North Shore's or the Regina's at the time of his fighting.

Hi Jim;

From reading everything you've written since the start of this thread, your Uncle only really served with and belonged to one unit, that being the '1st Battalion, The Regina Rifle Regiment, C.I.C.' - his time from joining back in New Brunswick to when he was TOS from the X-4 List, to the Regina Rifles - was spent in training, during which he was more or less, just learning to be a soldier, and during which time, he had no "Regimental' affiliation to any unit, save, the Canadian Infantry Corps.

Having arrived in Normandy, as a 'trained infantry reinforcement', 'earmarked' for the North Shore, but that did not mean that he was a member of that unit, he was only 'earmarked'. Once he was TOS (Taken On Strength) of the Regina Rifles, he became simply, 'a Rifleman' - he was a serving member of the Regina Rifle Regiment, the only unit of the Canadian Infantry Corps that he served with through his all to short service life.

I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers
Old 18-02-05, 17:44

Default Regina Rifles

Hello
Thanks
I hope my questions don't seem too meaningless to all, this is very hard for me to try to comprehend, not having any military knowledge.

I have so many questions and just don't know how to put them across, or to put them in any order.

Please be patient.
Thanks again
Jim
Old 18-02-05, 17:49
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Regina Rifles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Hello
Thanks
I hope my questions don't seem too meaningless to all, this is very hard for me to try to comprehend, not having any military knowledge.

I have so many questions and just don't know how to put them across, or to put them in any order.

Please be patient.
Thanks again
Jim
Hi Jim;

Do you have access to a fax machine, or any way you could fax me your Uncle's 'Record of Service'?

Cheers
Old 18-02-05, 17:52
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Hello
Thanks

Please be patient.
Thanks again
Jim
Hey Jim, I was and felt exactly like that when I started more than 2 yrs ago, but this place is wonderful and nothing is too ignorant or silly to ask in here about any of this stuff. As civi's ... how can we know what we haven't been exposed to yet when we haven't been personally involved in ways that we'd learn this stuff?

MLUers are loaded with knowledge and expertise and they enjoy enlightening us ... Mark being especially helpful and enlightening to all He just gives me a hard time too ... making me pay in that way

I still think of this as my "school" ... and don't mind the hard knocks from some ( )

PS: The fact that we, as civi's (or anybody) care enough to want to know and find out ... is really important to people, especially those who were there. Lest We Forget ...

Karmen
Old 18-02-05, 18:02

Thanks Vets Dottir! Although I haven't been posting much during my time here, I've always stopped in to read the threads and get caught up on what's going on with this group. Mark has outstanding information and I'm always impressed with the volume and quality he presents. Kevin has some nuggets as well.

I'm just lurking around I guess. Also have noticed your education on this site has definitely risen since you've started. A worthy cause and informed people will do that for you.
Old 18-02-05, 18:05
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: Regina Rifles

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
... Mark being especially helpful and enlightening to all. He just gives me a hard time too ... making me pay in that way
Listen MA ;

I haven't even "STARTED" giving you a hard time yet....wait for it........
Old 18-02-05, 18:11
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Regina Rifles

Quote:
I still think of this as my "school" ...
Yup, and this would be your poor teacher..... .........
Old 18-02-05, 18:23
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Regina
Also have noticed your education on this site has definitely risen since you've started. A worthy cause and informed people will do that for you.
Why thank you kind sir The credit goes to the members who so freely and gladly (and humorously at times) help. I'm genuinely interested though ... not just because of my Uncle, but because this time frame and events of WW2 shaped us and our lifestyles so much ... saved and shaped, and cost us all. Delving into all the history only shows the overall depth and breadth ... which seems to be never-ending.

And .... its kinda hard not to start feeling an affection for pug-uglies too, and those who drool all over them

Old 18-02-05, 18:25
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Regina Rifles

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Yup, and this would be your poor teacher..... .........
Ah well my fine hairy beast friend ... I aim to frustrate you as it gives me such great pleasure Don't give yoreself a headache with all that
Old 18-02-05, 18:39

Default Regina Rifles

Hello
Thanks

I just recieved the War Diaries for June and July from K.Lambie but only printed July as ( INK LOW )$$$$$..

I will print June later..
Thanks again for the help and support, It's GREAT!!!!!

Mark
What do you need in the records, do you mean the ( Attestation paper).

Drop me your Fax # here on E-mail and I will try to get them to this week. Going on Vacation next week for 3 weeks. Can't wait!!

Thanks
again
Jim
Old 18-02-05, 18:46
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: Re: Re: Regina Rifles

Quote:
Ah well my fine hairy beast friend ... I aim to frustrate you as it gives me such great pleasure Don't give yoreself a headache with all that
MA ;

Well, if I'm a er, I'd better give you your 1st term assessment, seeing how the 2nd term just started, anyways, here it is:

GOOD
KID,
BIT
DUMB,
TRIES
HARD

Oh!, Wait a minute, I think I may have the above assessment confused with the 'Old' Army simple six word assessment: - GOOD KID, BIT DUMB, TRIES HARD .........

Oh well, if the shoe fits - WEAR IT!!!

Old 18-02-05, 18:51
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regina Rifles

Quote:
MA ;

Well, if I'm a er, I'd better give you your 1st term assessment, seeing how the 2nd term just started, anyways, here it is:

GOOD
KID,
BIT
DUMB,
TRIES
HARD

Oh!, Wait a minute, I think I may have the above assessment confused with the 'Old' Army simple six word assessment: - GOOD KID, BIT DUMB, TRIES HARD .........

Oh well, if the shoe fits - WEAR IT!!!

I know "bit dumb" fits best : Ah well,,, perhaps next life I'll have a mind?
Old 18-02-05, 18:58
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Hello
Thanks

I just recieved the War Diaries for June and July from K.Lambie but only printed July as ( INK LOW )$$$$$..

I will print June later..
Thanks again for the help and support, It's GREAT!!!!!

Mark
What do you need in the records, do you mean the ( Attestation paper).

Drop me your Fax # here on E-mail and I will try to get them to this week. Going on Vacation next week for 3 weeks. Can't wait!!

Thanks
again
Jim
Hi Jim;

I have just sent you my fax number and the 'names' of the forms required by e-mail on this means.

Cheers
Old 18-02-05, 19:01
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regina Rifles

Quote:
Ah well,,, perhaps next life I'll have a mind?
No, I don't think so.........that will have to be surrendered so that your 'Jifferoo' can attend 'Obedience School'.........
Old 18-02-05, 19:08
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regina Rifles

Quote:
No, I don't think so.........that will have to be surrendered so that your 'Jifferoo' can attend 'Obedience School'.........
Yes ... you're quite correct I s'pose?
Old 18-02-05, 23:50

Default Regina Rifles

Hello

I like the way ( I think ) Mark, posted the Records of :

"Rifleman Edward Smith"

All in order,, very neat.

I think this is something I might like to look at after I work out all my research.

Verry nice
Thanks
Jim
Old 19-02-05, 01:47

Hi all,

Maybe someone can help to satisfy my curiosity?

Back in 1983 I was working in Oman in the Middle East. When my boss went on vacation, he was replaced by a fellow who had served in the Regina Rifles in the Second World War. I believe that his name was Earl Nesbitt (or something like that, I’m bad with names).He had landed in Normandy on June 6th and had come through the war unharmed. He was in Bretteville during the 12th SS counterattacks when the Reginas used PIATs to stop the German Tanks.

I think that he may have being in the carrier platoon, because he told me that at one time while in Normandy, he had mounted a MG42 in his carrier. It was not very long before he threw it away and went back to using his bren gun.

In 1983 he was living in St Catherines Ontario.

Has anyone ever come across his name in their readings of the Regina’s Histories or the War Diaries?

Thanks for any help.
John
Old 19-02-05, 06:26
Art Johnson

Default MG42

Good post John, I hear so much crap about Elite Forces being trained to use German weapons and as soon as they open up their own people turn on them.
Old 19-02-05, 15:03

Default EG Nisbet

John,

Had a quick scan through some stuff and do see a Cpl EG Nisbet on the list of those who disembarked on 6 June. He is noted later as a Dvr Mech 'C' and still later as a Dvr Mech MV, so Carrier Platoon seems to fit. Appears to have left for a time, then come back in September 44, but haven't seen the corresponding SOS yet. Will keep looking for more.

For Geoff, no sign of a Belfontaine as yet, if you are sure of the name. Will also keep digging.
Old 20-02-05, 17:41

Default Regina Rifles

Hello
Kevin:
From an earlier post :

"In your uncle's case, when he and the group of 25 North Shore reinforcements came to the front of the reinforcement line in France on 15 June".
Sorry:
Did I miss something ( Where did you find out about the other 25 North Shore's)?
Was that on my papers and I missed it! DO you have a Name lists?

Also from a letter I received from National Archive's in Oct.04 it states that the Reinforcements list( As I posted earlier ( S/L.3806 and E-817 ) that embarked Halifax on April 04th. 1944, were all aboard the ( S.S. PASTEUR ) disembarking in Britain on April 12th.1944.

They also state that all other records in Britain and sailings to France were lost.

Would anyone have pictures of this ship or names of other ships that formed part of this convoy Halifax to Britain or info from the Britain side of the landing.
Thanks
Jim
Old 21-02-05, 20:11
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Record of Service - Long, Lee Frank

Hi Jim;

From the papers you sent me this morning:

Record of Service: G 1457 Long, Lee Frank, Rifleman
1st Battalion, The Regina Rifle Regiment, C.I.C.

- 02 Jun 1943 - Attested - Military District No. 7 - Fredericton, N.B.

- 02 Jun 1943 - Taken on Strength of No. 7 District Depot (Active Force) (General List) - Fredericton, N.B.

- 17 Jun 1943 - Stricken off Strength of No. 7 District Depot (Active Force) (General List) - Fredericton, N.B.

- 17 Jun 1943 - Taken on Strength of No. 70 Canadian Army (Basic) Training Centre - Fredericton, N.B.

- 19 Aug 1943 - Stricken off Strength of No. 70 Canadian Army (Basic) Training Centre - Fredericton, N.B.

- 20 Aug 1943 - Taken on Strength of A 30 Canadian Infantry Training Centre - Utopia, N.B.

- 02 Oct 1943 - Attached to S 5 Canadian Driver and Maintenance School - Woodstock, Ont. - to attend Driver Internal Combustion Course

- 05 Jan 1944 - Completed the Driver I.C. Course and is qualified Driver I.C. Class III

- 07 Jan 1944 - Ceases to be attached to S 5 Canadian Driver and Maintenance School - Woodstock, Ont.

- 10 Jan 1944 - Returns to A 30 Canadian Infantry Training Centre - Utopia, N.B.

- 17 Jan 1944 - Posted to the Trained Soldier Company, A 30 Canadian Infantry Training Centre - Utopia, N.B.

- 19 Jan to 1 Feb 1944 - On 14 days leave

- 18 Feb 1944 - Stricken off Strength of A 30 Canadian Infantry Training Centre - Utopia, N.B.

- 19 Feb 1944 - Taken on Strength of No. 1 Training Brigade Group - Debert, N.S.

- 06 Mar 1944 - Absent Without Leave (AWL) from 0600hrs 06 Mar 1944 to 2030hrs 06 Mar 1944 - total absence 14 hours and 30 mintues from No. 1 Training Brigade Group - Debert, N.S.

- 07 Mar 1944 - Awarded 14 days Confined to Barracks (CB) and forfeiture of 1 days pay for being AWL for 14 hours and 30 mintues on 06 Mar 1944 - No. 1 Training Brigade Group - Debert, N.S.

- 04 Apr 1944 - Stricken off Strength of No. 1 Training Brigade Group - Debert, N.S.

- 05 Apr 1944 - Stricken off Strength of the Canadian Army (Canada)

- 06 Apr 1944 - Taken on Strength of the Canadian Army (Overseas)

- 12 Apr 1944 - Disembarked United Kingdom

- 12 Apr 1944 - Reported for Duty and Taken on Strength of 4th Canadian Infantry Reinforcement Unit - United Kingdom

- 22 Apr 1944 - Stricken off Strength of 4th Canadian Infantry Reinforcement Unit

- 23 Apr 1944 - Taken on Strength of X 4 List (Reinforcement for 1st Battalion, The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment, C.I.C.) - No. 12 Base Reinforcement Battalion, No. 2 Base Reinforcement Group - United Kingdom

- 11 Jun 1944 - Embarked - United Kingdom - (X 4 List (Reinforcement for 1st Battalion, The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment, C.I.C.) with No. 12 Base Reinforcement Battalion, No. 2 Base Reinforcement Group)

- 12 Jun 1944 - Disembarked - France - (X 4 List (Reinforcement for 1st Battalion, The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment, C.I.C.) with No. 12 Base Reinforcement Battalion, No. 2 Base Reinforcement Group)

- 14 Jun 1944 - Stricken off Strength of X 4 List (Reinforcement for 1st Battalion, The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment, C.I.C.) - No. 12 Base Reinforcement Battalion, No. 2 Base Reinforcement Group - France

- 15 Jun 1944 - Taken on Strength of 1st Battalion, The Regina Rifle Regiment, C.I.C. - France

- 8 Jul 1944 - Killed in Action - France

- 8 Jul 1944 - Stricken off Strength of 1st Battalion, The Regina Rifle Regiment, C.I.C. - France

- No date - Buried at Map Reference (MR) 987813 - Beny-Sur-Mer, France

- 28 Jul 1944 - Official Canadian Army Overseas Casualty Notification (Death) sent to Next-of -Kin

- 1 Aug 1944 - Royal Message concerning the death of G 1457 Long, Lee Frank, Rifleman, 1st Battalion, The Regina Rifle Regiment, C.I.C. sent to Next-of-Kin

- 29 Jan 1946 - Notification sent to Next-of-Kin of Reburial in Beny-Sur-Mer Canadian Military Cemetary - Grave 6, row G, plot 11 - Beny-Sur-Mer, France

- 11 Jul 1947 - Official photograph of Grave sent to Next-of-Kin

- 3 Apr 1950 - The following War Service Medals sent to the Next-of-Kin: 1939-45 Star; France & Germany Star; War Medal 1939-45 and Canadian Volunteer Service Medal & Clasp.

- 16 Oct 1998 - King George VI 'Memorial Cross' sent to Next-of-Kin

Cheers
Old 21-02-05, 21:08

Default Regina Rifles

Hello
Amazing!!!!! Thanks for this profile of my Uncle Lee Frank Long.

I am just lost for words( I just faxed it to you at 23:30 or so and done!!!
Thnak you again.

Lee frank Long # G1467

I will correct when I print it.

Thanks

Anyone have any lust on the Convoys ( Ex last posts) from Halifax to England.

I am ( Sorry WE ) my wife Debby and I are going on our 30TH. Anniversary Cruise around the Hawaiian Islands next week and will be off the computer for awhile.
When I retire she is going to take me to tour the War sites in Europe( I can't wait.

Thanks to all who have help in this site.

Jim
Old 21-02-05, 21:47
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
I am ( Sorry WE ) my wife Debby and I are going on our 30TH. Anniversary Cruise around the Hawaiian Islands next week and will be off the computer for awhile.
Been there (1989), done that, and I was even on duty at the time.......

Have fun Jim!

Cheers

P.S. - G 1467, Long, Lee Frank is the military way of writing things - Service Number - Surname - Given Name(s) - Rank - Unit
Old 22-02-05, 02:09
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Regina Rifles - Roll of Honour

Hi Jim;

I don't know if your aware of it or not, but your Uncle is carried on the Regina's Roll of Honour:

Rifleman Lee F. Long

Cheers
Old 22-02-05, 05:32

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim

"In your uncle's case, when he and the group of 25 North Shore reinforcements came to the front of the reinforcement line in France on 15 June".
Sorry:
Did I miss something ( Where did you find out about the other 25 North Shore's)?
Was that on my papers and I missed it! DO you have a Name lists?
Jim,

I have copies of some of the documentation preserved in the Regina War Diary on all men coming to and leaving the battalion. The information is much like you see for Rfn Long, just at the group level rather than the individual. Here's the entry I have:

REGINA RIFLE REGIMENT
Part II Orders issued by
CANADIAN SECTION GHQ 2ND ECHELON
21 ARMY GROUP

No. 27
30 June 1944

Strength Increase
TOS from X-4 List N SHORE (NB) REGT wef 15 JUN 44
Auth - AR 3/160 d/ 13 JUN 44

E100154 Rfn BRIAND C
G17423 Rfn BROAD E E
D175696 Rfn CATCHPOLE S A
G51039 Rfn CORRIER J G
G1069 Rfn FAIRWEATHER R E
G60987 Rfn FINLEY W L (Died of Wounds 9 July 44)
G2111 Rfn FORGRAVE T J
G4348 Rfn FULLARTON F W
G3956 Rfn GALLAGHER D P (KIA 30 Oct 44)
H200090 Rfn GUILMETT O J
G22190 Rfn HICKEY A T (KIA 8 Oct 44)
K50829 Rfn HOLTZ D J E
G1047 Rfn KELLEY H N
G4633 Rfn LINTON M S
G1467 Rfn LONG L F (KIA 8 July 44)
C671 Rfn MacDONALD A
F31585 Rfn MacDONALD W F
G57026 Rfn MacLEAN D L G
G49553 Rfn McALLISTER D F
H53504 Rfn McLAREN M G (KIA 8 July 44)
D140655 Rfn NOVAK H M
D130097 Rfn O'BRIEN A G
F56242 Rfn SUTHERLAND W R
G19635 Rfn VALCOURT L
F65167 Rfn WORFETTE A G

As indicated earlier, all those with a G prefix on their regimental number enlisted in New Brunswick in Military District 7. I believe Mark mistakenly included PEI in MD 7, think they are MD 6 with Nova Scotia.
Old 22-02-05, 14:14

Default Regina Rifles

Hello
Mark: Can you post a copy of the Regina Rifle Honour Roll which my Uncle Lee is on?

Kevin:
If there is any other info about Uncle Lee's training from Camp Utobia N.B. or Debert N.S. or even in England and his time overseas, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also I might need you to translate some of the abrevations after I get a chance to digest this info.

Thanks
JIm
Old 22-02-05, 14:14
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Regina Rifles

Quote:
Originally posted by klambie
As indicated earlier, all those with a G prefix on their regimental number enlisted in New Brunswick in Military District 7. I believe Mark mistakenly included PEI in MD 7, think they are MD 6 with Nova Scotia.
Hi Kevin;

Your right, my mistake, PEI was part of MD 6, not MD 7.

Cheers
Old 22-02-05, 14:23
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Hello
Mark: Can you post a copy of the Regina Rifle Honour Roll which my Uncle Lee is on?

Kevin:
If there is any other info about Uncle Lee's training from Camp Utobia N.B. or Debert N.S. or even in England and his time overseas, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also I might need you to translate some of the abrevations after I get a chance to digest this info.

Thanks
JIm
Hi Jim;

I'll post the page containing your Uncle's name later this morning.
Also, what abbreviations are you referring to.

Cheers