MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 24-07-03, 23:39
Senior Forum Member

What can I say Geoff, I have my moments.......sometimes...

Cheers
Old 25-07-03, 00:32
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Re: KarmenHotStuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Did I miss something here Karman Hot Stuff??????.........................she went from Little Miss Yappy to HOT STUFF????....hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Gee...what can I say...some of us just gotwhatchyahcall "IT"... as I mentioned earlier. I'd rather be called KarmenHotStuff than "OLD YAPPY"..........MARKO!...he he
Old 25-07-03, 03:07

Default Just got home

Hello
Thanks a lot for all this info ( almost too much to handle ) at one time. My Uncle was born and brought up in N.B. as with myself , until I moved with my family to London On. in 1995 account of a work transfer.
Really enjoying London and the people on this site are super Great.
Thanks for your help and understanding .

Once I fathom some of this info I will reply.

Again Thanks ALL.
Jim
Old 26-07-03, 21:04

Default Picture

Hello
I hope this works.
I have started the prosess of garthering the info all you people have sent me by sending some letters to Ottawa about my Uncle Lee's War records.
I also have on hold a couple of the books from the Library, to pick up and read.
I am going to try to post a picture of mu Uncle now.
Thanks for the support.
Uncle Lee Frank Long born in Saint John N.B. Dec 31 1922, Died July 08 1944. Buired in Beny-Ser-Mer France.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
p7260327.jpg  
Old 27-07-03, 00:03
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Photo

Jim;

I have five company pictures from the Regina Rifles (HQ, A, B, C & D), I'll see if I can match your Uncle to a Company and post the resaults.

Cheers
Old 27-07-03, 15:01

Default Regina rifles

Hello
Thanks Mark That would be greatly appreciated.
Also i am reading a book now that contains a lot of info. I will post the name later toay.
Thanks
Jim
Old 28-07-03, 01:34
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Abbey de Ardennes

Jim;

The following is taken from:

Up The Johns!, The Story of The Royal Regina Rifles
by Stewart A.G. Mein, pages 116 - 117

"THE ABBEY OF ARDENNES

On the night of July 7, Operation CHARNWOOD, a three division frontal assault on Caen, began with the first attempt to use heavy bombers as a prelude to an attack by the army. The air attack devastated the city. The next day, the move towards Caen began. Units of 9th Brigade took Gruchy, Buron and Authie. Ardennes Abbey was being used by the 12th SS Panzer Regiment as headquarters and was heavily defended with mortars, machine guns, and 75mm guns. On July 8, the Regina Rifles were tasked to capture it.

To capture the Abbey, Matheson planned to attack with three companies, B, C, and D, and keep still under strength A Company in reserve. Before attempting the assault on the Abbey, Gordon Brown and Major Tubb did a careful reconnaissance. They climbed a church steeple north of Rots where they were able to see the fields stretching out between Authie and the Abbey. They didn't like what they saw. The area was flat, open and devoid of cover where an attacking force would easily be seen, what si more, the defenders had the advantage of dug in defences and clear fields of fire.

The North Nova Scotia Regiment had reached Authie at 1600 hours, H hour for the Reginas' attack was set at 1700 hours. At that time of year, the sun did not set until around 10:30 so the attack would take place in daylight. B Company, under Major Eric Syme, was the first to move to the Battalion start line at Authie. As the Company went forward from the assembly area, two German machine guns opened up on the advancing troops inflicting heavy casualties. Circumstances were such that B Company received little artillery or armoured support. In spite of the concentrated machine gun fire, the company struggled through Authie and reached their first objective, some mounds between them and the Abbey. They had taken 61 casualties in this short advance.

C Company moved to its start line at 1725 hours also under heavy fire. However, it pushed on, passing through B Company's position, and struggled over the pen area towards the Abbey. They were hit with tank and accurate mortar fire which caused many casualties, including the Company Commander, Major Tubb and all the officers and senior NCOs. Only 21 men of the Company remained in action and they were forced to withdraw to B Company's position under fire.

On the left, with C Company, D Company moved forward from Authie to within 500 yards of the Abbey also under machine gun and rifle fire. Each of the platoons wriggled forward using fire and movement. Sections shifted under covering fire of other sections, and the men were forced to crawl or run in short bursts. One of the Company's platoons deployed in a left flanking attack while the other two platoons attacked under the cover of smoke fired from their own two inch mortars. The ragged platoons finally reached their objective, the east side of the Abbey, at 2230 hours.

Gordon Brown returned from the Abbey and giuded A Company forward in the failing light to help consolidate the position sustaining 15 casualties on the way. All night long, the men held on behind the wall of the Abbey, against a deadly hail of German machine gun fire from as close as 200 yards. After a fierce fire fight at first light the Abbey was secured and the Germans driven out. As the German counter fire slackened, the men's spirits were given a further boost by their uncovering of the Abbey's wine stock!

The Battalion suffered 11 officer and 205 other rank casualties, 36 of them fatal, with one missing in action. This had been the worst fighting for the Battalion since D-Day. The capture of the Abbey by the Rifles helped pierce the ring of defences of Caen. That action, and the success of the British forces on the left flank of the Canadians, forced the Germans to withdraw back into Caen itself."
You had asked:

I would like to try to find out ( from D-Day to his death July 08, 1944 what or where he was or how he travelled there?)

Heres a map of the Regina's movements from 6 Jun to 8 Jul 44:
Attached Thumbnails
regina map.jpg  
Old 29-07-03, 19:24

Default Regina rifles

Thanks Mark
That is great.
The book ( A Canadians Guide to the Battlefields of Normandy ) by Terry Copp, that I just finnished , said the same thing .
This is where I think all his problems ended. I will know more when I get some info back from the War Records.
I sent away 3 letters to the War Diaries, Service Records and The National Archives. I will post the reply when I get something.
Again Thanks
Jim
Old 29-07-03, 19:34

Default Printing Post

Hello
I need help!!!!
Is there a special way to PRINT posts and not the whole Thread?
Each time I try to print one post , my printer starts from the first and not the part I want to print.
I highlight the part I want and select print.
no-go.
Any sugestions.
Thanks
JIm
Old 29-07-03, 20:31
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Printing Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Hello
I need help!!!!
Is there a special way to PRINT posts and not the whole Thread?
Each time I try to print one post , my printer starts from the first and not the part I want to print.
I highlight the part I want and select print.
no-go.
Any sugestions.
Thanks
JIm
Hi Jim... I'm no computer whiz, and I had that same printing problem. How I managed was the long process of high-lite text I want, select copy, and copy it to my Word6, and print out from Word6, ratherthan from this site.

I hope you don't have to wait too too long for your records. I waited 5 months!!! They're in the mail now (I hope!!! Carman
Old 29-07-03, 21:38

Default Regina Fifles

Hello Carmen
Thanks
It seem I have only been on this site a short time and all I am doing is asking questions and getting more and more help than I can give in return.
I only that sometime I can return the support.
I will try the Print thing again, I am running out of INK.
Again Thanks
Jim
Old 29-07-03, 22:02
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Regina Fifles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Hello Carmen
Thanks
It seem I have only been on this site a short time and all I am doing is asking questions and getting more and more help than I can give in return.
I only that sometime I can return the support.
I will try the Print thing again, I am running out of INK.
Again Thanks
Jim
Hi Jim... yeah...INK!!! $$$ I can't afford to replace mine often so have to really budget my printouts... I copy a lot of info to my word program and save it for reference and even save stuff to small floppies... its a pain to look stuff up again rather than having the paper to root thru but it does save on paper I can't write much at all by hand so notetaking and correspondence is tough for me. I NEED my computer for that...

I think your caring and your story about your Uncle helps everyone to know that much more about the war...and yet another special Soldier You're sharing some history that others probably wouldn't know if you didn''t and honours your Uncles service and memory. Excellent

Besides... EVERYONE love to TEACH and HELP in here it seems...thank Goodness for them!
Old 30-07-03, 02:45

Default Regina Rifles

Hello Mark
You said you had pictures of the Regina Rifles.
Could you send me a copy or put them on the post.
If not I would truly understand.

Thanks
Jim
Old 30-07-03, 04:49
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Regina Rifles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Hello Mark
You said you had pictures of the Regina Rifles.
Could you send me a copy or put them on the post.
If not I would truly understand.

Thanks
Jim
Jim;

I'll look at the options and respond tomorrow (Wed).

Cheers
Old 31-07-03, 00:00
Senior Forum Member

Unhappy Re: Pictures

Jim;

The pictures are to large to post here or to send by e-mail, they would be ten separate posts here alone (5 pictures total - each picture cut in half)(originals are 14" L x 3 ¾" H).

Cheers
Old 31-07-03, 01:19

Default Regina Rifles

Mark
Thanks for the try.
If you see any resemblance to my uncle , Please let me know.
Again Thanks
Jim
Old 01-08-03, 02:15

Default Regina Rifles

WWII War Diaries:
Here is a letter I received today which was sent to Directorate of History and Heritage in Ottawa Asking for info on the War Diaries.
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your letter dated July 27th, 2003. Unfortunately, the
Directorate of History and Heritage does no longer have World War II War
diaries. We only have current and recent peacekeeping operations War
Diaries.

There are different ways to access the WW II War Diaries. They are located
at the National Archives of Canada, in Ottawa. You could view them on site
or you could request a copy through (Address: 395 Wellington Street, Ottawa,
ON K1A 0N3 - Phone (866) 578-7777)

You could also ask your local library for a copy on microfilm (a loan from
the National Archives).

For a detailed study and history on the Regina Rifles Regiment in WW II, I
suggest you read Professor Terry Copp's book (and Gordon Brown's) "Look to
Your Front... Regina Rifles : A Regiment at War, 1944-45. Laurier Centre for
strategic and Disarmamant Studies, 2001, 250 p. ISBN 0-9688750-0-9.

The book can been ordered through:
http://www.wlu.ca/%7Ewwwmsds/bookslcmsds.htm

I wish you good luck with your research.

Michel Litalien
Major
WarDiaries Section
Directorate of History and Heritage
Ottawa

(613) 998-7054
Old 07-08-03, 00:13

Default Regina Rifles

Hello
I just received in the mail Dated 30-07-03 a letter from the National Archives of Canada stating that they will look for more info on my uncle and I can look at their site at:
www.archives.ca
and look under Genealogy: Military Records.

I hope this address helps anyone for the future.
Personal Records Unit Research Services Division PH: 1-613-995-5138------Fax-1-613-947-8456-------Toll Free 1-866-578-7777.

Thanks
Jim
Old 07-08-03, 08:52

Hi Jim, I've done the same thing you are doing now. I had an uncle who was with the Regina Rifles and was KIA on July4/44. It has been my small mission in life for the last 8 years, to find out all I can about the "Johns" and my Uncle. I have been to Normandy and retraced the route taken by the Johns and the 3rd Division from the beaches all the way to the Falaise area along with the Cemeteries.
While it has been acknowledged that it was the Canadians who penetrated furthest inland on D-Day, it was actually the Regina Rifles D Company who were at the point of it. Not bad for a bunch of farmers eh?
They have an active association which I also belong to and they still have their yearly reunions. I attended the 2001 reunion and the launch of the book "Look to Your Front-Regina Rifles!" written by Terry Copp and Gordon Brown, DSO, MID, NBL. Gordon and I had been corresponding with one another for about 5 years before the book came out and I had submitted some personal letters and pictures to him for the book, unfortunately too late to make it to print though. Gordon Brown had also given me a very detailed description of the battle for Abbaye D'Ardenne, which sounds like your uncle was part of.
Here's a link to CBC, it has an interview with Copp about the Johns and why he chose them to write about. Click on the "Listen to the Interview" button close to the bottom of the page.
http://radio.cbc.ca/programs/thismor...es_010606.html
There are only a few books solely dedicated to the Regina Rifles and the one Mark mentioned (Up The Johns) was from 1992. It is a history of the Johns dating back to their formation as a militia unit circa 1885 to the present, with quite a bit dedicated to WWII.

"Look to Your Front-Regina Rifles!" is probably the one that would interest you the most, told by the guys in their own words. I met many of them and they are still some real characters.

The only other history/reference book of them, was written in 1946 and was intended to be distributed to every former member of the 1st Battalion and to all next of kin. This one is nearly impossible to find. I found a copy in my local library and was quite shocked......since I live in Thunder Bay. This copy isn't even allowed out of the library.
Any book on Normandy that talks about the Canadians in length, will surely mention the Regina Rifles. Copp's newest book does anyway.
Hope this helps and I will post more on it, if I can.
Old 07-08-03, 17:20

Default Regina Rifles

Hello
Thanks for that info.
I started doing a family tree in 1995 when I moved to Ontario and always had a special interest in my Uncle's Where-abouts and started diging into this a bit deeper, by talking to other family memmbers. I have posted all the info that I have found and been in touch with the National Archives for more. If you can find some time to look at your pic's for a match it would be appreciated as I only have the one picture that I posted.
I'm now reading No Price Too High by Terry Copp and have the videos as well. I am waiting for the Librayy to get in --Up the John's and Look to your Front.
I will post any info that I receive from the Archives when it comes in.
Again Thanks
Jim
Old 08-08-03, 23:49

Unless the library is bringing in those books for you, don't expect them to be getting them. They've been out for a while. Up the Johns may be still available from the Armouries in Regina at the address posted by Mark. Look to Your Front is available through www.canadianmilitaryhistory.com and may be available in the small book stores close to or in Regina. They are not available from Chapters because the authors told me they don't like to pay their bills.......or something to that effect.

Which pictures are you referring to?

Love - "No Price Too High" book and video!
Old 09-08-03, 01:37

Default Regina Rifles

Hi
The videos were great and I'm about half way through the book.

Trouth be known .... The picture I am trying to match is one that I posted of my uncle in uniform. I don't expect too much!!!
Old 02-09-03, 06:30

Hi
It seems kind of funny. Over the last couple of days I've been trying to find out about the Regina Rifles and where my Grandfather was with the Regiment. I wish to thank everyone here for unknowingly pointing me in the right direction. The one big problem I am having right now is I don't know what Company he was in or his rank. My grandfather mad it through the war and died in 1989. I am trying to do this for my family as a surprise since my grandpa never talked about it even when I asked questions. Ayone with any additional info I would love to hear from.

Thank You

Kelly
Old 10-09-03, 16:53

Timberwolf, unfortunately your timing may be a little off. There just aren't that many Vets out there still around and that still remember. One of the best ones to talk to would have been right in your own back yard. Sadly his health in the last year has deteriorated and he isn't able to communicate anymore. Try writing a general letter to the Royal Regina Rifles Association at:

Royal Regina Rifles Association
4029 Degeer St.
Saskatoon, SK
S7H 4K2

They will pass it on to a few members that may remember him. They have a very active association that I am a member of, and I'm sure they will help if they can.
Old 10-09-03, 19:46

Default Thanks

Thanks Regina for the address. For anyone reading this my grandfathers name was Herb Tarala. Hopefully someone might remember the name.
Old 21-09-03, 21:38

Default Regina Rifles

Hello
To anyone interested,
I sent 3 letters to the National Archives, Regina Rifles in Sask., and War Diaries. I received return letters from all the above,
some not able to help with the info I was looking for but sent me to look elseware. I will sort it out and post later.
I also received from the archives a stack of information on my Uncle's War Records, from where and when he joinedd to all his promotions and COMPANY he was assigned to , here in Canada and OVERSEAS.
Again a lot of info to sort out.
I do hope you ( here on this site) will help me deceipher some of the codes. I have to get ready for work now, but it has only been about a month to get the info from the archives.

Hope this helps someone.
Thanks
Jim
Old 21-09-03, 21:51
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Jim

Happy to help when we can. You too, Karmen. Feed us the info, we'll interpret.

You guys "done good".

G.
Old 22-09-03, 03:28

Default Regina Rifles

Hello
Thanks
I will post soon.
Jim
Old 24-09-03, 03:03

Default Regina Rifles

Hello
Well!!! I guess I will have to wait for awhile longer to find out more info, about the War Diaries.
Today I talked to the National Archives and was told to send another letter to request a copy of the War Diaries.They are available and will cost $.40 / copied page. and there are about 20 pages per month of just the Diaries. Also there are more pages of full material in the monthly envelope.

Anyway I will be looking into that process later,

BUT FOR NOW CAN YOU HELP ME?

1 - On the first page of my Uncle's ATTESTATION PAPER first line states-- Unit NO.7 District Depot ( GENERAL LIST ) .
What does the GENERAL LIST MEAN ?

2 - This Form ( looks like ) M.F.M.1 and 2. Record of promotions.
What does this mean? S.O.S. on transfer to No.70C.A. Fredericton N.B.
Further accross the page under ( Part 11 D.O. No. Cas. List, Etc.) it states a number ( 137).

3 - Next line . T.O.S. No.70 C.A. (B) T.C.
Further across the page under ( same as above) it states the number ( 143)
What do these numbers mean?
I don't understand the Letters as in TOS or SOS.or the ( B).T.C.
C.A. I assume it means CANADIAN ARMY. ( Not Sure )
Thanking you in advance.
More to follow.
Jim
Old 24-09-03, 11:03
Vets_Dottir

Default Hi folks :)

I haven't been in this thread for a while (sorry) While reading, I'm noticing a trend here Seems there are a few of us with service records of beloved relatives that WE DON'T UNDERSTAND and very much want to! I think a lot of people are probably going through the same problem.

I wonder ... are Service Records so UNIQUE to those, and where, they serve with, that doing a sort of GENERIC thread or web page of "Understanding Service Records" would help people no matter who their relative served with?

Are there no books or sites that contain service terminologies and abbreviations that anyone knows of? If not ... does someone know enuf to start or help with one?

It's such a challenge (esp as civvie)to try and transpose the info from the forms etc into something simple and understandable posting for you guys to help us understand them. Too bad we're scattered all over the world ... we could have work-shops....!!!!

I feel like an idiot. When I don't know how to "talk the talk" then I don't know how to word things (now be nice!!!)