MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 08-03-06, 06:22

Default MBU

Most of MBU MLU's are in seperate units.The bath units
are nothing more than G.P. large (general purpose)
tents which can handle 40 people at time.The laundry
I dont remember much about. There has been more
than a couple of times while out mucking around
in the boonies Ive had to wash out socks and what
not in a steel pot.
Patrick
Oh yeah wash the wool out in cold water and let it
dry should be ok
Old 09-03-06, 03:52
Vets Dottir

It's a great day when a woman can get so many men to talk about laundry ... especially dirty laundry

Ma again!!!! Wheeeeeeeeee .........
Old 09-03-06, 12:29
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Laundry in the field....

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
It's a great day when a woman can get so many men to talk about laundry ... especially dirty laundry

Ma again!!!! Wheeeeeeeeee .........
Ma...
Not having served,you wouldn't know ,but in the field laundry had to be done...and in the field sex drive continues..dosen't stop...
so both are done by hand..
Old 10-03-06, 01:20
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Not sure we want to go there, Alex... but I heard this in the bar tonight and I nearly spit up my drink: sit on your left hand until it's numb, and you'll have a whole new girlfriend...

You can tell I hang out with some pretty classy guys (all stockbrokers and Bay St business execs, BTW).
Old 10-03-06, 01:25
Vets Dottir

FOCUS ... FOCUS guys ...

This thread is about laundry not self-help for frustrated men
Old 10-03-06, 02:03
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Class....

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Not sure we want to go there, Alex... but I heard this in the bar tonight and I nearly spit up my drink: sit on your left hand until it's numb, and you'll have a whole new girlfriend...

You can tell I hang out with some pretty classy guys (all stockbrokers and Bay St business execs, BTW).
Jif...
Jist seeing if I could pull ma's chain...it worked...
I admire your choice of friends...beer is the great equalizer...
Old 10-03-06, 02:15
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Class....

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair

I LIKE having my chain pulled, it wakes me up a bit
Old 10-03-06, 02:23

Default Re: Class....

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Jif...
I admire your choice of friends...beer is the great equalizer...
An interesting phenomenon... some of these guys make five times what I do, but they consider me an intellectual equal (I found out I even went to school with one, back in the 60's!). They have become friends in the truest sense of the word, even if we're not in the same "class". Their company keeps me sane, and I suspect my interaction with them adds something to their lives as well. Life is nothing if not interesting, n'est-ce pas?

And yes, we can be pretty crude at times...
Old 10-03-06, 02:31
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Ubique

Derek:

Adding dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl, I will not dignify your dig at the guns with a reply, except:

Ubique means that warnin' grunt, the perished linesman knows when o'er 'is strung and sufferin' front,
the shrapnel sprays 'is foes, an' as the firin' dies away,
th' 'uskey whisper runs, from lips that 'aven't drunk all day,
"th' Guns, thank God, th' Guns!" (R.K.)

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 10-03-06, 02:35

Default RE: Mike

Thanks for that. Reading that at the end of THE GUNS OF VICTORY, I was in tears.

You arty types may not be infantry, but you have your uses...
Old 10-03-06, 06:59
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Ubique

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
Derek:

Adding dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl, I will not dignify your dig at the guns with a reply, except:

Ubique means that warnin' grunt, the perished linesman knows when o'er 'is strung and sufferin' front,
the shrapnel sprays 'is foes, an' as the firin' dies away,
th' 'uskey whisper runs, from lips that 'aven't drunk all day,
"th' Guns, thank God, th' Guns!" (R.K.)

Mike

The only brawl will be if someone insults a Gunner within my ear shot! I'm just finishing up reading Hubert Meyer's detailed and fascinating book; The 12TH SS The history of the Hitler Youth Panzer Division. Time and time again artillery was the trump card that allowed a successful attack or derailed a German counter-attack in Normandy. There are many journal entries, both personal and official that identify the artillery barrage as swinging the outcome of the battle.
However, since we're posting poetry, perhaps now is a good time to re-introduce our fellowship to one of my favourite works:

SALUTE TO THE ENGINEERS

Now the Lord of the Realms has glorified the Charge of the Light Brigade,
And the thin red line of infantry, when will it’s glory fade?
There are robust rhymes of the British Tars and classic Musketeers,
But I shall sing till your eardrums ring of the muddy old Engineers.

Now it’s all very well to fly through the air, or humour a heavy gun,
Or ride in tanks through the ranks of the broken and shattered Hun.
And it’s nice to think when a U-boat sinks, of the glory that outlives years,
But whoever heard of a vaunting work for the muddy old Engineers?

Now you must not feel as you read this rhyme that a Sapper’s a jealous knave,
That he joined the ranks for a vote of thanks or in search of a hero’s grave.
No, your mechanized is all right and your Tommy has darned few peers,
But where in Hell would the lot of them be if it weren’t for the Engineers?

Oh they look like tramps but they build your camps and sometimes lead the advance.
And they sweat red blood to bridge the flood, to give you a fighting chance.
But who stays behind when it gets too hot, to blow up the roads in the rear?
Just tell your wife that you owe your life to the muddy old Engineers!

No fancy crest is pinned on his chest; if you read what his hat badge says,
Why “Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense”, is a queersome sort of phrase.
But their modest claim to immortal fame has probably reached your ears,
The first to arrive, and the last to leave, are the Glorious Engineers

CHIMO!
Old 10-03-06, 07:21
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Ubique

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
I'm just finishing up reading Hubert Meyer's detailed and fascinating book; The 12TH SS The history of the Hitler Youth Panzer Division. Time and time again artillery was the trump card that allowed a successful attack or derailed a German counter-attack in Normandy. There are many journal entries, both personal and official that identify the artillery barrage as swinging the outcome of the battle. CHIMO!
Hi Derek,

I OFTEN wonder if there are sites or foums online in which the stories of these Hitlerjugend are told ... for instance, talk of the executions of the Canadian soldiers. All of the Hitlerjugend survivors of the war can't have held their tongues forever about their activities or what they saw or heard. Many are probably still alive, being still quite youngish teenagers at the time.

I almost wish I could read German because I assume if stories were shared they'd be in German language

By the way ... great poem

Karmen
Old 10-03-06, 07:35

Default Re: Re: Re: Ubique

Quote:
I OFTEN wonder if there are sites or foums online in which the stories of these Hitlerjugend are told ... for instance, talk of the executions of the Canadian soldiers. All of the Hitlerjugend survivors of the war can't have held their tongues forever about their activities or what they saw or heard. Many are probably still alive, being still quite youngish teenagers at the time.
K, Most of the bad boys never made it home, courtesy of the Canadians...
Old 10-03-06, 07:38
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Ubique

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
K, Most of the bad boys never made it home, courtesy of the Canadians...
I know, but I'm pretty sure that some of the bad boys did make it in spite of the fierce-some Canadians

How come you aren't sleeping? Do I need to come and you on the noggin to put you to sleep
Old 10-03-06, 07:56
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Ubique

Quote:
Hi Derek,

I almost wish I could read German because I assume if stories were shared they'd be in German language

By the way ... great poem

Karmen
There are lots of stories of the atrocities committed by the Germans in general and the SS in particular, though it seems few are written by the perpetrators! We've all heard of the cold blooded murder of members of the Regina Rifles at L'Abbe d'Ardennes in Normandy and of the American soldiers during the Battle of the Bulge but it appears after reading Hubert Meyer's book that we were not entirely innocent either. Herr Meyer's book lists many instances reported by witnesses where Germans trying to surrender were summarily executed by their captors, although the time line suggests that such actions such were in response to German atrocities. There were also reports of Allied fighter-bombers strafing and rocketing German field hospitals and ambulances in Hubert Meyer's book. However, it can be said that the scale of German atrocities in WW II will hopefully never again be matched.
Thank you for the comments re: the poem. It was written by a Corporal of the Royal Canadian Engineers in 1942 and is one of my favourites.

CHIMO!
Old 10-03-06, 08:18
Vets Dottir

Hi again ...

From everything I've heard and read so far about the happenings over there, I suspect the Canadian's and other Allied forces breaking the rules of war were a reaction TO what they saw and learned of how coldly and cruelly the SS and divisions did to the local citizens and Allied soldiers ...

Human nature, seems once one side crosses a line, the other side is outraged and reacts in like for like revenge actions. I think there is nothing so capabale of making people lose control and give into outrage as war can ... two wrongs don't make a right though ... or do they?

I dunno ... what would I do? I think if outraged enough by anothers destructiveness or cruelty I suspect that the force of rage in me would bypass every human standard or rule ... when push came to shove.

If I'd witnessed my Uncle and those men coldbloodedly machine gunned ... and had a machine gun at hand, or anything, I'd use it against the murderers to kill them, I'm sure ... while at heart, as a woman/mother, I'd be in a lot of inner turmoil about what I'd just done. If I'd walked along and come upon the atrocities of the concentration camps ... same ... I'd kill the murderers in their tracks? Outrage and rage and a need to stop them would pull the trigger ... I can't imagine any life experiences more intense than prolonged conflict or war, nor anything so deeply primal as far as the responsive psychology and emotions go ... pure survival mode.

Yes ... I hope the scale of atrocities never happens in our world again ... whether as a first blood, or a reaction to those who did first blood.

Ma is IN-TENSE eh?
Old 10-03-06, 08:25
Vets Dottir

PS: This IS a thread about washing the dirty laundry ... so talk of who did what to whom and all ... fits this thread ... or so I opine
Old 10-03-06, 14:13

Just to keep the Brits end up so to speak heres a unit operating in NW Europe
Attached Thumbnails
laun 3.jpg  
Old 10-03-06, 14:15

And moving on a little who in the hell got the job of ironing all those baggies on the line
Attached Thumbnails
laun 4.jpg  
Old 10-03-06, 14:56

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ubique

Quote:
How come you aren't sleeping? Do I need to come and you on the noggin to put you to sleep
Slept on the couch from about 2130 till 0045... up for a bit then back down for the count, surrounded by cats.
Old 10-03-06, 14:59

Quote:
PS: This IS a thread about washing the dirty laundry ... so talk of who did what to whom and all ... fits this thread ... or so I opine
You've been watching Mr. Bill again, haven't you?
Old 10-03-06, 15:08

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Ubique

Quote:
...Herr Meyer's book lists many instances reported by witnesses where Germans trying to surrender were summarily executed by their captors, although the time line suggests that such actions such were in response to German atrocities....
Not just Herr Meyer's book, Derek. It is recorded in Allied publications that word about the German summary executions got around within a couple of days even to the lowest ranks in the two Canadian divisions ashore, and the unofficial policy became 'take no prisoners amongst the SS'. The latter had habits such as hiding in spider holes, popping up to shoot one of our lads, then throwing their hands up in surrender. As you can imagine, that didn't go down too well with our lads on the ground...
Old 10-03-06, 22:33
RIP

Default The laundry question !!

My uncle,Steve Williams from 1RCHA"UBISQUE",the same man who showed my dad in Italy,a full grown pig in the back of his FAT,also had a laundry business going in the field.I was crying with laughter when he reinterated the solution.Bags of flour go a long way,especially among the local paysans.So this entrepeneur approached local women,with his bribe of bully beef and flour, started a business in every village he came across.My da never found out where he got the pig AND agllons of vino.He's still alive in Kingston Ontario,and would be a great interview.
Old 10-03-06, 23:55

Default Re: The laundry question !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
...He's still alive in Kingston Ontario,and would be a great interview.
So... do it Garry! Take along a tape recorder and we'll transcribe the interview and put it online. History like this is too valuable to let it die with these old gentlemen...
Old 12-03-06, 01:49
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ubique

Quote:
I know, but I'm pretty sure that some of the bad boys did make it in spite of the fierce-some Canadians

Isn't it a matter of quid pro quo...He, who's evil begets evil, shall have it visited upon him.

12th SS, Abbee d'Ardennes, d'Ouradour, ...sufficient justification for visiting the same evil upon the perpetrators.

It was the Poor Bloody Infantry who were 'midst all this shit. Their purpose was to ..."close with, contain, then kill the enemy".

Left wing wienie restrospective thoughts are not countenanced by the likes of me.
Old 12-03-06, 02:03
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ubique

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Isn't it a matter of quid pro quo...He, who's evil begets evil, shall have it visited upon him.

12th SS, Abbee d'Ardennes, d'Ouradour, ...sufficient justification for visiting the same evil upon the perpetrators.

It was the Poor Bloody Infantry who were 'midst all this shit. Their purpose was to ..."close with, contain, then kill the enemy".

Left wing wienie restrospective thoughts are not countenanced by the likes of me.

So, are you calling me a left wing weinie?

(don't forget that my Uncle was one of the defenceless executed one's in that field by the 12th)
Old 12-03-06, 03:19

This is one of the rare occasions when I agree with Jon. According to Dan Dancocks book “welcome to Flanders Fields” the Germans started murdering Canadian PW’s during the Second battle of Ypres in April, 1915.

Quote:
Herr Meyer's book lists many instances reported by witnesses where Germans trying to surrender were summarily executed by their captors, although the time line suggests that such actions such were in response to German atrocities.
There are many accounts by Allied troops of false surrenders by German troops. One or more Germans would pretend to surrender to lure our troops out of their positions. Other Germans would then open fire on those foolish enough to expose themselves. The expression ‘fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me’ comes to mind. There are also accounts of SS troops shooting German troops in the back who were attempting to surrender.

Quote:
There were also reports of Allied fighter-bombers strafing and rocketing German field hospitals and ambulances in Hubert Meyer's book.
There are many occasions when the Germans did not respect the Red Cross. Also the Germans often abused the Red Cross by using ambulances to transport armed troops and supplies. During their attempt to escape from the Falaise pocket, the Germans adorned many of their vehicles with the Red Cross in an attempt to escape destruction.

One must remember that if the Germans did not start the damn war in the first place, Canadian troops would not have needed to go to Europe. Also any “atrocities” committed by Allied troops pale when compared to what the Germans did during the War.
Old 12-03-06, 03:34

Quote:
Originally posted by John McGillivray
There are many occasions when the Germans did not respect the Red Cross. Also the Germans often abused the Red Cross by using ambulances to transport armed troops and supplies. During their attempt to escape from the Falaise pocket, the Germans adorned many of their vehicles with the Red Cross in an attempt to escape destruction.
Quite so. I've read published accounts of fighter pilots strafing convoys and watching "ambulances" explode with devastaing force. Thereafter nothing on the roads was sacrosanct.
Old 12-03-06, 17:21
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ubique

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld

I KNOW these comments aren't directed at me, as any body who knows me knows that my politics are right of Attila the Hun! Please don't mis-interpret simple re-statement of historical facts as some sort of revisionist apology to the likes of Standartenfuhrer Meyer or General Sakai or others of their ilk! I almost gagged on my Tim Horton's when I read that we were going to apologize and recompense the Japanese we interned during the war! I was apoplectic over the CBC's hack job of Billy Bishop, who, as anyone one who has delved into WW I history knows was the war's number 1 ace!
Me! Revisionist! It is to laugh!

CHIMO!
Old 14-03-06, 01:26
M38A1 CDN3

My "left wing wienie"...comment was directed at the left -of- centre media currently extant, at least in Canada.

Nothing derogatory should personally be inferred by anyone on this Forum.