MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 22-10-04, 20:49
Senior Forum Member

Post 7 Troop, B Sqn - 2

top photo: BLONDIE - Fig. 36 on the air photo
bottom photo: HARE - Fig. 35 on the air photo

Source: "Dieppe-Through the Lens of the German War Photographer" - Photos: Jean Paul Pallud, Text: Hugh G. Henry Jr
Attached Thumbnails
7 troop, b sqn 2.jpg  
Old 22-10-04, 21:41
Senior Forum Member

Post 15 Troop, C Sqn - 1

top photo: foreground - CONFIDENT - Fig. 40 on the air photo and in the background - CAUSTIC - Fig. 41 on the air photo
bottom photo: CANNY - Fig. 45 on the air photo

Source: "Dieppe-Through the Lens of the German War Photographer" - Photos: Jean Paul Pallud, Text: Hugh G. Henry Jr
Attached Thumbnails
15 troop, c sqn 1.jpg  
Old 22-10-04, 21:44
Senior Forum Member

Post 15 Troop, C Sqn - 2

top photo: CONFIDENT - Fig. 40 on the air photo
bottom photo: HOUND - Fig. 42 on the air photo

Attached Thumbnails
15 troop, c sqn 2.jpg  
Old 22-10-04, 22:00
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Air Photo

top photo: Universal Carrier of the Royal Regiment of Canada (Maj. McCool - Principal Military Landing Officer) - Fig. 14 on the air photo
bottom photo: LCA No. 125 - Fig. 28 on the air photo

Attached Thumbnails
carrier-lca 215.jpg  
Old 22-10-04, 22:36
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Dingo

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
The Dingoes have a channel iron rear bumper with callsigns on them, I have'nt seen this on other Dingoes. Was the bumper fitted because the Dingoes were embarked on LCA's and likely to be damaged by tanks, or were they fitted to have clear place to paint the name to work in conjunction with poor visibility tanks, or were they just standard early equipment on the Dingo?
Hi Tony;

I haven't found, or seen, these rear bumpers fitted before. They could very well be a 'unit thing' of the Calgary Tanks. All the scout cars embarked on the Raid were from Headquarters Squadron, these bumpers could very well be fitted for the soul purpose of 'Night/Poor Visibilty Markers'. You'll notice that the ends of all these rear bumpers pictured are painted white, add to that they're height, and I suspect thats why they're where they are. I really can't think of any other reason for them to be where they are. Surely, not for the soul purpose of somewhere to paint the vehicle name on, that could have been painted directly onto the rear of the cars, below the louvers.

Cheers

Tony;

I just had a thought, there were two D7 Bulldozers that accompanied the Calgary Tanks on the Raid, these bumpers may have been fitted for a point for the dozers to put their blade against to give the cars a 'push', if need be. (ie if the cars became 'bogged down'). Just a note, the scout cars were all towed by tanks to begin with (right off the landing craft) because of the beach, but the point about the bumpers and the dozer blades does seem valid, just a thought.
Old 22-10-04, 23:30
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Dingo Bumpers

Hi Mark/Tony:

Funny, as I was reading Tony's question my mind slipped back to the many times I have walked on those shingle beaches. I've often thought, "What idiot would try to drive a wheeled vehicle on what is, in essence, 2-3 inch ball bearings?" I never made the connection to the bumpers untill now.

Seeing you post about tow ropes and bulldozers sure makes me vote for your idea about pushing.

Cheers, Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 23-10-04, 01:06
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Dingo Bumpers

Hi Mike/Tony;

Regarding the Daimlers being towed, the following were the Tank/Daimler on tow combinations from the following Tank Landing Craft, as per the allocation table:

From TLC 1 (No. 145) - CALGARY - towed - HORACE ashore
From TLC 2 (No. 127) - CAT - towed - HECTOR ashore
From TLC 4 (No. 126) - BOLSTER - towed - HELEN ashore
From TLC 5 (No. 121) - BLUEBELL - towed - HARRY ashore
From TLC 7 (No. 124) - BLOODY - towed - HUNTER ashore
From TLC 9 (No. 166) - BLONDIE - towed - HARE ashore
From TLC 10 (No. 165) - CONFIDENT - towed - HOUND ashore

A note regarding the two D7 Bulldozers, one was carried on TLC 3 (No. 159) and the other on TLC 6 (No. 163), neither was landed. The one on TLC 3 (No. 159) was caught in the TLC's wreckage and the other returned to England aboard TLC 6 (No. 163), being unable to land on the beach due to enemy fire.

Cheers
Old 23-10-04, 01:18
Senior Forum Member

Post Dieppe - Main Beach

top photo: the main beach at Dieppe photographed from the west headland following the Raid. The Cassino is in the foreground, and tanks and landing craft litter the beach.

Source - Photo: "Dieppe, Then and Now"

bottom photo: The main beach photographed from the ramp of TLC 5 (No. 121), showing the immobilized tanks along the waterline.

Source - Photo: "Dieppe 1942, The Jubilee Disaster", by R. Atkin
Attached Thumbnails
dieppe main beach.jpg  
Old 23-10-04, 01:43
Senior Forum Member

Dieppe landings:

Map: Source: "SEMPER PARATUS, The History of The Royal Hamilton Light Infantry (Wentworth Regiment) 1862-1977", by B. Greenhous.
Attached Thumbnails
map rhli.jpg  
Old 23-10-04, 01:45
Senior Forum Member

Dieppe landings:

Map: Source: "BATTLE ROYAL, A History of the Royal Regiment of Canada, Second Edition, 1862-1979", by Lt.-Col. D.J. Goodspeed.
Attached Thumbnails
map r regt c.jpg  
Old 23-10-04, 01:53
AKA LegalAssassin

Again, great photos, I'm about to order the book "Dieppe - Through the Eyes..." (unless I can get the original prints from Germany).

As for the bumpers, they look very much like a temporary measure. I'll ask around, but personally I'd say it's for easier loading of the LCT, securing it, for the towing, possibly even for lifting them in.
Seeing how it's only seen in this naval assault, it appears to be a logic reason.
Old 23-08-10, 01:28

Default dieppe photo's

my uncle corporal Roy Watson was commanding "BLUEBELL" on the raid with george volk , doug brownlee, trooper milburn and Q/CPL william mcbryan. the regiment has been very helpful and i have a copy of hugh henery's MC on the raid so i have seen many photo's of the aftermath. these photo's are very moving to me . i recently met trooper Ray Gillbert who was with Roy on the raid in a tank called "BEEFY". he knew Roy very well . god bless george bisset