MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 24-02-13, 05:26
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Ww2 occupation money

Hi Guys

I recently aquired a bank note which I was told may have been Japanese Occupation Money. Though I am not sure and I am hoping someone out here in MLU land may be able to throw some like on it for me. On the reverse of the note is a list of names and on the other side of the note name "Boozers Club". I doubt they were prisoners of war as I can't see the enemy providing booze unless they were brewing it themselves. It is an interesting note and It would be terrific to find out the story behind the names on the note. So if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them

Cheers

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Scan10175.jpg   Scan10176.jpg  
Old 24-02-13, 07:29

Hi Tony,
My kids took some photo's of Invasion Money that was on display when we were fortunate enough to visit the Sergeants Mess at Puka. last year.
This was to be used when Australia was taken. I assume your notes are when Japan was under allied control?
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Invasion money.JPG   Invasion money (1).JPG   Invasion money (2).JPG  
Old 24-02-13, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
I recently aquired a bank note which I was told may have been Japanese Occupation Money.
No, it's ordinary Japanese currency. Occupation currency is clearly marked as such in English.

As you say though Tony it's an interesting note, no doubt with a story to tell. My guess is it's WW2 era, and the names are post-war occupation servicemen. From there I can only speculate - perhaps they were drinking in a bar and there was no paper handy so they used a banknote. But what were they writing? Perhaps they were electing a "Boozer's Committee" to handle the bar tab. But why so many people on the committee? Perhaps they handled the tab for their entire base, to save everyone carrying around wads of increasingly worthless Japanese currency. How's that for speculation!
Old 24-02-13, 21:45

Default 123 Tpt Platoon - BCOF

I agree with Tony: Japanese money.
The names I think I can see are:

R Holden
H Clarke
M Whiting.

These may be:
NX191133 Holden, R, Corporal, 123 Transport Platoon
NX136344 Clarke, H O, L/Corporal, 123 Transport Platoon
NX206814 Whiting, N M, Private, 123 Transport Platoon.

123 Aust Transport Platoon, RAASC, was part of BCOF.

If you care to post the other names and I'll see if they fit the above Unit roll.

Regards

Mike C
Old 25-02-13, 00:00
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Good solution

Hi Mike and Tony

Thank you both for getting back to me with your information, which to me sound like the correct answer. I had many years ago seen some Japanese invasion money, Like Mike's Shilling note photo. I also saw one with Dutch Guilder on it, most probably used for Indonesian occupation.

I did think the note was Japanese and maybe used by occupation forces in Japan after the end of WW2. It was the Boozer Committee and names that got me interested and I love Tony's Boozer Committee senario, that is so typical "Australian".

Mike thanks for tracing the names for me that is a great start for further enquiries. I will do some enlarging of the image and use the magnifying glass to see if I can identify any other names for you. Once I have some more to go on I will post back on this forum. I would like to find out if any of the old diggers are still with us.

Cheers

Tony
Tony
Old 25-02-13, 06:23
Tony VAN RHODA

Default A couple more

Hi Mike

Richard, sorry mate I called you mike instead of Richard.

Mike, the names you checked and identified as follows:

NX191133 Holden, R, Corporal, 123 Transport Platoon
NX136344 Clarke, H O, L/Corporal, 123 Transport Platoon
NX206814 Whiting, N M, Private, 123 Transport Platoon.

These names are confirmed on the note. I think the following two found on the note could be identified and it would be interesting to see if they are also members of 123 Aust. Transport Platoon, RAASC, BCOF.

A Russell.
P Corfield.

I have been doing some checking on RAASC Transport and it appears they were usually in section or Platoon strenght. So if it was possible to identify all 5 of the names on the note as part of a Section or Platoon, then it would be easier to identify the rest of the "Boozer Committee". Possibly from the part names clearly seen on the note.

Cheers

Tony
Old 26-02-13, 13:37
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
No, it's ordinary Japanese currency. Occupation currency is clearly marked as such in English.

As you say though Tony it's an interesting note, no doubt with a story to tell. My guess is it's WW2 era, and the names are post-war occupation servicemen. From there I can only speculate - perhaps they were drinking in a bar and there was no paper handy so they used a banknote. But what were they writing? Perhaps they were electing a "Boozer's Committee" to handle the bar tab. But why so many people on the committee? Perhaps they handled the tab for their entire base, to save everyone carrying around wads of increasingly worthless Japanese currency. How's that for speculation!
Hi Tony

I would like to thank you for your PM and the contact with James with the BCOF people. I rang James tonight and he was very interested in what we were trying to do and has offered all his help. I sent him an email with a photo showing all the details on the note. James has sent me an email with contact details for Noel WHITING one of the guys identified by Mike Cecil and he is still alive and living in NSW. I will try and ring him tomorrow and interview him about the "Boozers Committee", and how his name came to be on the note.

Thanks to you guys, Tony, Richard and Mike we may have an interesting story to tell about a bunch of diggers antics so long ago. I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Tony
Old 26-02-13, 14:23

Quote:
James has sent me an email with contact details for Noel WHITING one of the guys identified by Mike Cecil and he is still alive and living in NSW. I will try and ring him tomorrow and interview him about the "Boozers Committee", and how his name came to be on the note.
Nice work Tony, it's always great news to hear that a vet is still with us. Hopefully you can make his day by reminding him of the Boozer's Committee!
Old 26-02-13, 18:02

Tony,

I have NX142085 Corfield, PHF, Private, 123 Tpt Platoon, so he fits the trend.

However, none of the 'Russell' names listed fit with 123 Tpt Pl. There's an A Russell in the 1st Armoured Car Squadron, also a New South Welshman - maybe that's the connection?

Worth asking when/if you speak with Whiting.

Nice find! This note might be worth a story for the AWM's Wartime magazine. I recently finished some research and an article on a Chev lorry that has all sorts of names and service numbers scratched into it: proved a very interesting story, and narrowed down the truck's service history considerably. It will be published in the next Army Motors. Maybe you should consider something similar on 'The Note'. They (Wartime) will only want about 1,000 words.

Regards

Mike C
Old 26-02-13, 20:35

Great story indeed!
Keep up the good work.
Waiting for the next instalment.

As an aside, we came across "C J Bouchard" scratched into the back of a Champ Generator Panel last month. Could not find a CJ on the net that fit the demographic, but thought it was worth a try. National Service archives are not yet accesable it seems.
Rich.
Old 27-02-13, 03:00
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Investigation continuing

Hi Tony, Mike and Richard.

Well the investigation continues.The phone number I had for NX206814 Noel Whiting has been cancelled so I made other enquiries with posible relatives still living in the area and have located a number of posible contacts, however I can not call until this evening, so I will see what I can sniff out. I am not hopeful of good news as Noel may have passed away or been admitted to a home.

My investigation uncovered a number of other former members of. 123 Transport Company. I rang these people who were all elderly, though helpful, they were not in 123 Tpt Company at the times of the names on the Japanese note. I hope my calls tonight may throw more light on the investigation.

Mike. Thanks for confirming the other name, NX142085 Corfield, PHF, Private, 123 Tpt Platoon. I have sent his details to James hoping he may be able to provide an address and phone number. So we are identfying the names, one by one, but so far I am hoping to find a relative in Molong NSW who may be able to give information on Noel Whiting.

So the hunt continues to locate at least one of the Diggers who can give me the full story behind the "Boozers Committee". I will then hopefully do a story on the group.

Cheers

Tony
Old 02-03-13, 05:34
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Address located

Hi Guys

I thought I would give you an update on my investigation into locating one of the identified names on the back of the note. It appears, at this stage, anyway that there may only be one member of the "Boozers Committee" still around. He is in his late 80's and moved from his home 6 weeks ago. He has moved in with his daughter in Castlereagh NSW. I have written him a letter and I hope to hear from him with information that may lead to a story.

Mike. You suggested a story for the AWM. If all goes well and the story unfolds I would do that and also give them the original Japanese Bank note to go with it.

Cheers

Tony
Old 02-03-13, 14:10

In one of our old photo albums there is a half of a Japanese Filipino 1 Peso note. Why it is there I have no idea.
Attached Thumbnails
peso001.jpg  
Old 02-03-13, 23:58
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Complete note

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGillivray View Post
In one of our old photo albums there is a half of a Japanese Filipino 1 Peso note. Why it is there I have no idea.
Hi John

It is always interesting to sink your teeth into a mystery and to have no idea as to what you found only enhances the interest. I hope you find an answer to the half note. Maybe half pay for a job and the balalance upon completion, though who would work for one Peso. Hmmm....I have attached copies of the complete note issued by the Japanese occupation forces in 1943. Happy hunting.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Philippine%20-%20Japanese%20Occupation%20-%201%20Peso%20ND%20obverse%20P-109a.jpg   Philippine%20-%20Japanese%20Occupation%20-%201%20Peso%20ND%20reverse%20P-109a.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 03-03-13, 02:10

Quote:
Hi John

It is always interesting to sink your teeth into a mystery and to have no idea as to what you found only enhances the interest. I hope you find an answer to the half note. Maybe half pay for a job and the balalance upon completion, though who would work for one Peso. Hmmm....I have attached copies of the complete note issued by the Japanese occupation forces in 1943. Happy hunting.

Cheers

Tony
Thinking about the note I may have come up with a possible answer. My dad was in the RCAF during the war but spent the entire war in Eastern Canada so he could not have gotten the note himself. However, a number of his cousins had moved to Michigan in the 1930’s. It is possible that one may have served with the US military in the Pacific and had sent him the note as a souvenir.
Old 03-03-13, 13:25
Tony VAN RHODA

Default The other half

Hi john

Yes mate, but where is the other half of the note ...

Cheers

Tony
Old 06-03-13, 14:13
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Survivor located

Hi Guys

I just thought I would give you all an update into my investigation into the survivors of the "Boozers Committee". I finally tracked down the last surviving member named on the back of the 10 Yen Japanese note under the heading of "Boozers Committee". Late this afternoon I received a phone call and had the honour of speaking to 88 year old Noel WHITING.

We had a lovely chat and he could not believe his eyes when he opened my letter and saw the Photo I sent of the 10 Yen note. He confirmed it was his handwriting on the note. He related his story of his time in Japan as part of the BCOF force, as part of 123 Transport Platoon, stationed 6 Kilometres from Hiroshima, and now we know why he is the only survivor, he identified others on the note and the name of the OC of his unit who recently passed away, all suffered with cancer.

I was thrilled speak to this chap who recently lost his wife. I will now write up a story for my association magazine and then I can put this mystery to bed. My thanks to MLU members. Mike Cecil, Tony Wheeler and Richard Couts-Smith for your support and assistance to keep me stirred up enough to continue until the final chapter in this true Aussie story.

Cheers

Tony
Old 06-03-13, 17:31

Wonderful story Tony, well done on tracking down Noel Whiting and solving "The riddle of the 10 yen note"! I'm sure he was surprised to see it again after almost 70 years! Hopefully it brought back memories of good times with the "Boozer's Committee", sad to hear they're no longer with us.

I gather BCOF Japan vets have been fighting for recognition/entitlements for years, but successive govts have been doing the usual thing - stalling until they all fall off the perch. Your efforts will ensure they at least get some audience amongst people who care. It occurs to me you may even get some interest from mainstream media, it's the kind of human interest story they often go for. Anyway I look forward to reading your article eventually.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 06-03-13, 18:15

Well done, Tony. I look forward to reading your article.

Mike C
Old 06-03-13, 20:50

10 out of 10 for persistance Sherlock.
Fortunate that you don't suffer from procastination, as I fear that "The Riddle Of The 10 Yen Note" would have remained unsolved if left much later.
Rich.
Old 06-03-13, 21:29
WO8 C15A 142736

Looking forward to the full story.
Old 07-03-13, 00:17
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Now for the next move

Hi Mike, Tony, Richard and Robert.

Yes I will write a story for the National Servicemens Association of SA and Wartime Vehicle Conservation Group magazines. I will also post it here for MLU members. Noel has given me his new home phone number and asked I contact him again, which of course I will.

My interview with Noel was great but, according to Noel his memory was not as good as it used to be. I hope my chat has stirred the grey cells. I will keep in touch with him and present him with a copy of the magazine when finally written.

I will also update James Patterson, Secretary of the BCOF association, James has been fighting with government beaurocracy for years for some form of recognition for BCOF military personell. There are now less then 2000 BCOF ex servicemen still alive. I will not rush my story as I need it to be correct and accurate.

Cheers

Tony
Old 19-03-13, 09:37
Tony VAN RHODA

Default The finished story

Hi All

I have finished putting together the story for the Nasho News and WVCG magazines and as promised, I have enclosed a copy below for you to read.

Cheers

Tony

The SEARCH for the BOOZERS COMMITTEE
By Tony VAN RHODA

In 1993 I was given a 10 Yen Japanese note from my brother Eric. As we had both served in the Armed Forces, we thought there could be an interesting story behind the note and the names listed on it. At first I thought they could have been prisoners of war, but I couldn’t see the Japanese giving our servicemen money, let alone alcohol, to form a “Boozers Committee”. The note intrigued me and set a challenge for me to want to identify and locate the servicemen who set up the Boozers Committee. This was such a typical thing Australian servicemen would do.

The note was misplaced and it wasn’t until early February 2013 that I found the 10 Yen note again amongst some old photographs in a family photo album. Now that I had the note again I knew I had to start my investigation some 20 years on. The ink on the note had over the years started to fade some of the names, but four names were still legible. These were later identified by Mike CECIL ex Australian War Museum, as:

NX191133. Corporal. R. Holden. - NX136344. L/Corporal. H Clarke. - NX206814. Private. N. Whiting - NX142085. Private. P. Corfield. All were members of: 123 Transport Platoon. RAASC. BCOF. Japan.

These men were all part of the British Commonwealth Occupation Force sent to Japan at the end of WW2. Now that I had some genuine names the hunt to locate these men was on. The BOCF Association tried to assist and advised they only had two surviving members registered having served with; 123 Transport Platoon RAASC who had served in Japan. Mr. R. Berryman. Blackalls NSW and Mr N. Whiting in Molong NSW. I made phone calls, but only Mr. Ron Berryman phone was still connected.

I interviewed Mr Ron Berryman, who advised he was only with; 123 Transport Platoon in Japan between March and September 1948. He was later transferred To Iwo Jima to drive ambulances. He said he did not know Noel Whiting. Enquiries were made in Molong NSW and confirmed Noel Whiting had previously lived in Molong but left Molong the previous month to live with his daughter.

The Molong RSL confirmed Noel had been a member and had transferred his membership to Penrith RSL. The RSL later advised me of Noel’s new home address. I photographed the 10 Yen Japanese note and with a letter sent it to Noel, hoping I had the correct N. Whiting. Five days later I received a phone call from Noel’s daughter regarding my letter and she put Noel on the phone. He said he received a bit of a shock when he saw the photograph and recognised his handwriting on the note.

We got into an informal conversation about his Army service, his time in Japan and the loss of so many mates who had succumbed to cancer. Noel confirmed the names on the note were genuine. I asked about the “Boozers Committee” and what he could remember. He laughed and said he couldn’t remember much as he was now 88 years old and his memory was not as good as it used to be. I asked if the committee was something formal. Noel said, from what he could remember a group of mates always drank at the same bar and from what he could remember after more than a few drinks, someone suggested they form a committee, someone suggested The “Boozers Committee” and all the names were placed on a 10 Yen note. He said from what he could remember the committee were just a bunch of mates who always drank together. I told him that was such a typical Australian serviceman thing to do.

I asked about some of the other names on the note that were still visible, Noel said, Ron Holden (deceased) was his Roommate. He lost contact with Clarke and Corfield (Deceased) some time ago. I asked Noel about his military service. He said that after he joined up he was posted to Bathurst NSW Army Barracks. 123 Transport Platoon was formed there as part of BCOF and from there they were deployed to Japan.

Noel served in Japan from 1946 to October 1947. They were stationed at a Field Transport Company in Kiachi Barracks 6 miles from Hiroshima. The barrack later burned down and 123 Transport Platoon were moved to a town called Hiro. Noel recalls they had a Sergeant who as a former Desert Rat of Tobruk, their O.C. was Captain. Doug Parvery, (deceased). Noel suggested the other names on the note were:- A. Adrel and B. Lob.

I found Noel Whiting to be a lovely old gentleman to talk to. He is one of those many Australian diggers who have been forgotten by all sides of our political parties since WW2. The BCOF Australian soldiers sent to Japan were allocated an area and lived in a highly contaminated area after the Atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. The contamination of radiation has cut their numbers to less than 2000 still alive today.

The BCOF (Japan) Association of Australia has, and is, fighting hard for recognition of these men who have been treated shamefully as have other returned soldiers from Korea, Vietnam and National Servicemen. ( Finally recognised with a medal. )

The BCOF association has answered to the Prime Minister’s statement to review disallowed recommendations to the Clarke Review. The following was submitted on behalf of the 700 members of the BCOF Association by their Honorary Secretary. James Patterson. He is 88 years of age and still fighting with that “Aussie Digger” spirit. When I interviewed him I was impressed by the determination of this old soldier who informed me will die fighting the government for his members.

Most Australians do not know much about our Australian lads that served in the BCOF in Japan after their defeat. I hope by giving some insight others will speak up for these True Aussie Diggers.

The Australian occupation of Japan constituted a unique set of circumstances and cannot be compared accurately with any similar situations applying elsewhere at the time or since then:-

The circumstances of the Japanese surrender, the uncertainty of Japan adhering to it. There was no certainty that this would occur and our forces entered Japan with the knowledge there could be resistance encountered. Members of that force know there were attempts at provocation of our forces although these were played down and other reasons given.

The location of the Australian forces in the Hiroshima Prefecture this being the site of the first US atomic bomb attack on Japan. The extremely hazardous nature of the military undertaken including the destruction of Japans largest poison gas facility together with an enormous amount of armament, a large proportion in hidden stores that had to be discovered and disposed of.

A feature of the Japanese capitulation was that it rested upon the obligation placed on the Japanese people by the Emperor to abide by the surrender arrangements at the time and during the initial period of the occupation when some 6.5 million Japanese military personnel were being demobilised under the strict control of American Forces and the 35,000 personnel comprising the Commonwealth Occupation Force (BCOF).

Apart from the potential threat from Japanese nationals, the allotted Australia area of operations was Hiroshima Prefecture and therefore BCOF personnel were continually at risk of a consequence of earlier military action( i.e.) The dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, the implications of which were imperfectly understood and generally ignored. The very act of dropping the atomic bomb on Hiroshima in itself created an operational military area the nature of which was unprecedented and the significance of which was not recognised at that time and we believe that belief still exists today.

The Australian Government was quite prepared to and did place all Australian forces in Japan under the operational control of the US Commanders in Japan. The Australian Commander in Chief Lt General Northcott in 1946 recommended that the BCOF area be declared an operational area and gave reasons for this recommendation. He was the commanding officer on the spot where operations were taking place and was aware of all the circumstances that caused this recommendation to be made.

The decision of the Australian Government to go against this recommendation was political and resulted in the setting aside of all recommendations for due recognition and benefits for Australian BCOF Personnel. No attempt was made as a duty of care to recognise let alone act upon the fact that Australian Forces in Japan were operating in an area that had been directly contaminated by an Atomic Bomb, no attempt appears to have been made in the time since the occupation to recognise the reasons put forward by the Commander in Chief that the occupation of Japan was a war time operation and without doubt in a wartime operational area.

It is now time for our Government after so many years to recognise the efforts and suffering by ex BCOF veterans and award them their medals, benefits, nominal roll and acknowledgement of a job well done.

Tony Van Rhoda.
Editor: Nasho News & WVCG.
Old 19-03-13, 10:25

Thanks Tony, certainly highlights an area of operations that I knew nothing about.
Well Done.
Rich.
Old 19-03-13, 23:44
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Forgotten veterans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coutts-Smith View Post
Thanks Tony, certainly highlights an area of operations that I knew nothing about.
Well Done.
Rich.
Hi Richard

Thanks for your kind comment. Yes mate while doing the story and research, I like you learned a lot about events after the defeat of Japan and our "forgoten veterans". I don't know what goes through the minds of our governments, they are quick to get our troops involved in military problems around the world and have a history of forgetting you once the troops come home. Like our our Korean and Vietnam veterans. Reminds me of car salesmen, Your friend and best buddy, then when you return with a small problem they don't remember you. I hope the BCOF veterans win their case before they all pass away. I hope my small bit will help tell their story.

Cheers

Tony
Old 20-03-13, 01:24

Good job, Tony.

Mike C
Old 20-03-13, 03:28
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Good job, Tony.

Mike C
Mike I enjoyed doing the research and story. Thank you for your help to get me started, much appreciated. It will go into print in the magazines, April and May 2013.

Cheers

Tony
Old 20-03-13, 10:55
WO8 C15A 142736

Default Bcof

Seems to be topical at the moment. The headline on page 8 of yesterdays local paper,
Numbers dwindling, BCOF return.
Veterans who served in the BCOF will hold their reunion in Tumut Starting tomorrow. About 80 veterans and partners will be in Tumut with a number visiting for a week. More than 35,000 Australian men and women including 20 from Tumut served between 1946 and 1952.
The whole artical was about one third of a page in the Tumut and Adelong Times.
Old 20-03-13, 14:36

My Late Father, Harry Hutchings, was with New Zealands 'J' Force and they too had to fight for the right to be recognised. A few things he said was in 1946 it was a combat zone still as at night you and your mate walked back to back while patrolling or even the small kids would stab you in the back if they got a chance.

He was sent home with tropical Ulcers hanging from his ears and nose and once recovered returned to civilian life. The New Zealand Government finally in about 1996 had a medal made for 'J' Force vetrans but Dad would not let me claim his until after he died he felt so let down by the system.

Funny thing though when I cleaned out his drawers of clothing I found his Old Paybook and a small box of Box Brownie photos he had taken while he was in Japan. I made an album of the photos which now resides with my younger brother in New Zealand along with a framed medal, photo of Dad in army uniform, photo of the gates of the NZ HQ in Japan and a New Zealand beret badge which I proudly had framed. I never really knew just how much the short stay with the army meant to him as he had a reserved occupation during WW2 and was angry they would not let him go.

To all those 'Occupation of Japan' soldiers who are no longer with us I salute you

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 20-03-13, 14:40
Tony VAN RHODA

Default That's very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpearce View Post
Seems to be topical at the moment. The headline on page 8 of yesterdays local paper,
Numbers dwindling, BCOF return.
Veterans who served in the BCOF will hold their reunion in Tumut Starting tomorrow. About 80 veterans and partners will be in Tumut with a number visiting for a week. More than 35,000 Australian men and women including 20 from Tumut served between 1946 and 1952.
The whole artical was about one third of a page in the Tumut and Adelong Times.
Hi Robert

That is very interesting and appropriate that this is all being told now. I would love to see a copy of the newspaper clipping. While doing the research I learned so much about these guys and to think there are so few left to carry on with the fight for benefits. I am happy that I could do my little bit

Cheers

Tony