MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 15-12-10, 17:55

Default Trans Assem Question

Carrier friends,

I am questioning the reassembly of my transmission. First off I want to start by saying my trans is a truck unit not a carrier unit if that makes a difference. I am making allowance for the different output shaft, but that does not related to my question. A previous owner has opened up this trans and I question what I have found, in it's order, and its components of this assembly. Please see pic of damaged needle bearing as just one example of my concern. The focus of this thread is related to the assembly of what I will call the trans output shaft. I am working from two sources of info. The carrier parts manual and a Ford trans manual purchase through VanPelt's.

Question #1 The carrier document shows three pieces before the roller bearing and the Ford source only two. I found three pieces in my trans but......... The extra piece seems to be part #7070 which is listed as a main shaft bearing retainer strap. Should my trans have?

Next please view the pic of my three parts. I have them laid out in the order I believe they should be assembled not the order in which I found them assembled.

Question #2 &3 aside from the broken/split in the washer/spacer, is this the order of assembly with the baffle against the bearing and do the three parts look as the should?

Question #4 referencing the assembly pic of the carrier manual the drawing seems right but I would switch the arrows between 7070 & 7080 is this correct?

Question #5 am I making any sense?

Hey in all sincerity I really do appreciate all the support and information this community has given me.

Thanks,
Stephen DeMocko
Attached Thumbnails
assem.jpg   Carrier Manual.jpg   Carrier parts list.jpg   Ford Manual.jpg   IMG_0914.jpg  

Old 15-12-10, 19:02

Default Assembly of transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeMocko View Post
Carrier friends,

I am questioning the reassembly of my transmission. First off I want to start by saying my trans is a truck unit not a carrier unit if that makes a difference. I am making allowance for the different output shaft, but that does not related to my question. A previous owner has opened up this trans and I question what I have found, in it's order, and its components of this assembly. Please see pic of damaged needle bearing as just one example of my concern. The focus of this thread is related to the assembly of what I will call the trans output shaft. I am working from two sources of info. The carrier parts manual and a Ford trans manual purchase through VanPelt's.

Question #1 The carrier document shows three pieces before the roller bearing and the Ford source only two. The Ford manual has the arrow and 7070 but the part is not visible.I found three pieces in my trans but......... The extra piece seems to be part #7070 which is listed as a main shaft bearing retainer strap. Should my trans have? The snapring on the left should not be there. 7070 is the large snapring that holds the outer ring of the bearing in place. Anything extra you put on the output shaft will move it forward. This may very well be the reason your pilot bearing failed. It looks like it was compressed.

Next please view the pic of my three parts. I have them laid out in the order I believe they should be assembled not the order in which I found them assembled.

Question #2 &3 aside from the broken/split in the washer/spacer, is this the order of assembly with the baffle against the bearing and do the three parts look as the should? Leave the most left snapring out

Question #4 referencing the assembly pic of the carrier manual the drawing seems right but I would switch the arrows between 7070 & 7080 is this correct? No, 7080 is the oil baffle and 7070 is the snapring to secure the bearing in the case. This is a bit larger than the outer ring of the bearing

Question #5 am I making any sense? Yes, at least to me you are

Hey in all sincerity I really do appreciate all the support and information this community has given me. Glad that I could help a fellow member.

Thanks,
Stephen DeMocko
Hi Stephen,

Please take a look at my answers in red lettering.

Cheers,

Daimler Dingo Mk1B 1941
Daimler Armoured Car Mk1 1943
Daimler Ferret Mk1/1 1959
Ford Universal Carrier No2 MkII* 1944
Ford GPW British Airborne 1944
Lightweight 10 Cwt Trailer SS Cars Ltd 1944
Anti-Tank Gun 6 Pdr 7 Cwt MkII 1942
Daf Trailer YAA602 1954
Daf Trailer AT16-24-1NL 1977
Daf 2100Turbo 1982
Old 15-12-10, 22:22

Default Thanks!

Mark,
Thanks a lot!!!!!!! I feel silly not thinking about the snapring still in the case or seeing the arrow on the Ford Manual. It's great to be able to run things by people when it doesnt make seem right.
Stephen DeMocko
Old 15-12-10, 22:30
GM Fox I

Beware of old manuals, they are not always right, particularly Chev CMP ones. I think the MBC2 manual show the clutch disc backwards.
Old 16-12-10, 01:17
Bluebell

Default Steve some suggestions

The Circlip that Mark has suggested that you leave out, has the same role as the spacer next to it. I concur with Marc.
When you look at your carrier picture, it is not the correct picture, but it was the one available, so it went in the book.
I think Marc's advice is "bang on" (correct) When you buy a new input bearing, buy the "slot filled" one with the higher number of balls. (13?)
When you assemble the mainshart into the box. Bolt the rear housing up, and measure the clearance with a feeler gauge. It can be .003" clearance to .003" preload.
Example; If you measure an .008" gap, install a .010' gasket and you end up with a .002" endfloat.
As you are using a non carrier box, I understand that the gearbox lid is carrier specific, in that the two bolt lugs on the side are a different length than other Ford boxes.
Make sure that when you install the oil baffle/ slinger that it is in there with the protruding centre toward the bearing.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....