MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 28-04-08, 16:02

Default Chev engine and trans change out .

Chev truck or C15
Has anyone been involved in changing out the chev 216 ( 1941-45) engine and transmission with a later chev engine ie 1953/54 and transmission .
What is involved with flywheels, bell housings , clutches , mountings etc .
Would appreciate your input.
Regards
Jim S.
Old 28-04-08, 20:18

Default Piece of cake......

Gudday Jim

If you are referring to changing the 216 for a modern mid 50 Chev 235 engine it's a piece of cake. The 235 will bolt right on to the bellhousing. Everything will fit in existing holes and location.

You will need to decide if you are keeping the 216 flywheel and starter ot switch to the 235 flywheel and starter..... they are usually matched...ex: the 6 volt origianl 216 starter will not engage well on the 235 flywheel and vice versa. The good news is that the flywheel are also interchangeable.

Once you have both engine on the floor...... check the flywheel of both and compare to see if the 235 doesn't have more weight and a larger clutch plate... if you are lucky your 235 might come form a larger truck and uses a 10.5 or 11 inch clutch diameter.... and the flywheel is also heavier therby storing more inertia.... if you do have the larger one You might want keep it has it will improve the performance. The old bellhousing will accommodate either. ...... and get a new throw out bearing while at it.....

Lenght wise the engine are very similar....but the 235 water pump, if it is a later model will have the longer/larger in block water pump which will NOT allow the radiator to fit...... there are adapter plates available that will allow you to re-instal your 216 water pump on the 235..... the adapter plate will give you the needed clearance for the fan lenght wise and will raise and better center the fan location.

If your 235 has the car/light truck side motor mount you will need to remove the front plate and drill it for the typical front mount location similar to the 216.

Keep your original tranny.... this way you have no headaches with re attaching the short driveshaft to the T-case.

Good luck..... keep us posted of your progress with pictures.....most of us can't read so we enjoy the pictures.

BooB
If your 235 is in reasonable shape you will have an increase of about 35% on torque and and HP.
Canada
Old 29-04-08, 02:29

Default Engine and trans transplant

Thanks Bob , Because the vehicle does not have a transfer case ( C 15 ) I would like to run the 47 chev truck 4 speed g/box ( SM420 ) which has synchro 2,3 and 4 gears and shorten the tailshaft .
If I use the bell housing from a 47 onwards that has the horizontal side engine mounts do I have to make any alterations to the crossmember under the gearbox.
Regards
Jim S.
Old 29-04-08, 03:14

Default Ooops.....

Hi Jim

I am not familiar with the frame cross members od the C15..... but my assumption is that the bellhousing of the 216 bolts to a cross member very similar to the 4x4 CMP.... I mean the original 216 bellhousing has two small stamped L bracket held by 2 bolts to the side of the BH.... this bracket in turn is bolted with a spring/bolt arrangement to the cross member..... correct me if I am wrong..... I can take pictures if you wish.

I am about 99% sure that the 4 speed 47 tranny will bolt to the 216 bellhousing..... if that is the case you are home free..... if you have transplant the 235 with the LHD clutch housing and tranny you will have some linkage to worry about..... easiest solution would be a hydraulic clutch linkage which you can probably swap from a junk yard vehicle.... civilian jeeps had them for a while.

The secret to fitting the 47 4 speed synchro will be the output shaft size/length...... and the 4 large bolts pattern....?

Once you have the 216 engine out of there you will be able to physically compare and measure the tranny end.

You know this is like delivering a baby by email....? watch where you stick you fingers!!!!

Bob

Pictures of the 216 bellhousing showing the attached L bracket on each side.... this in turn is bolted to the cross member..... the dark one is from a cab 11 and has the top two bolt holes/corners broken off,,,, the second one comes from a cab 13 C60 and has the brake booster bracket......

Is your C15 crossmember similar to that pictured...?
Attached Thumbnails
HPIM1522enlresized.jpg   IM001856enlresized.jpg  
Canada
Old 29-04-08, 04:19

Default Trans swap

Thanks again Bob
I will keep you posted when I have it set up , at the moment am still sorting out what bits do I collect.
Regards
Jim S.