MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 31-03-10, 03:58

Default Brought back some pleasant old memories.....

... of me getting stuck with a M37...... when I was younger of course.

There was a mud or bleu clay hole at the bottom of la Montee Payment in Gatineau..... we would go there with other 4x4 for the sole purpose of getting stuck....!!!

Nice to watch some one else do it now !!!!! NOT sure if it is wisdom or lazyness.....

Thanks for the memories Richard.

Boob
Canada
Old 10-04-10, 00:32

Default Help..... been overcome by CFS fumes.....

Got a real sniff of CFS today.....

Can't Find Shit...... Do you guys know where I have carefully put away my NOS air filter for my truck.......

Boob
Canada
Old 10-04-10, 03:07
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Got a real sniff of CFS today.....

Can't Find Shit...... Do you guys know where I have carefully put away my NOS air filter for my truck.......

Boob
I see you are suffering a CRAFT moment - Can't Remember A F@#$%^ing Thing!
Old 22-04-10, 04:19

Default On the bright side......

With nothing else to do tonite I decided to see if the old Chev would fire up after sleeping all Winter......

So off I went with a can of ..... as Alec puts it..... Start you bastard spray can.... now the battery has wintered in the tray for the last 5 months... a few squirts.... and a few more...... and by Geez she parked to life.... with the usual blue smoke until the cylinders cleaned themsleves up...... drove around the barn and all over the front lawn and up and down the ditches...... worked great........ my cheeks hurts from grinning..... my ass to as the ditch was rough.

Now without MLU I would not be able to brag and share my happiness.....

Boob
PS... hope I never grown up!!!!
Canada
Old 22-04-10, 13:49

Quote:
...... drove around the barn and all over the front lawn and up and down the ditches...... worked great........ my cheeks hurts from grinning..... my ass to as the ditch was rough.

Boob
Boob:
You are an inspiration for the rest of use. Many people live vicariously through your exploits in life.

May you never grow up!

Cheers & Beers!

Stuart
Old 29-04-10, 22:54
Mr. HUP

Default Bbbb?

Bob?

Any news on BBBB? I spoke with Gilles last weekend and it looks like he is thinking of bringing some heavy metal with him. If I have my carb sorted out, I'll roll out the HUP for some much needed exercise.

I raided the tickle trunk and came up with four ball hats to give out to participants:

Two GDLS LAV II hats;
One Lockheed Martin Tac Armd Veh hat; and
One C-17 hat (complete with rondel (target)).

When is the big announcement?
Old 20-05-10, 03:58

Default Check the events site for update....

Bar Bee Kew is on.... check the event thread for details.....

Boob
Canada
Old 20-05-10, 04:02

Default My apologies for the vacuum....

We have not dropped off the face of Hammond.....just been too darn busy raiding to even brag about it.....

Rushing back and forth we blew a tire on the loaded float at 120 kph..... what a thrill....

More stuff to move and pictures to show.... not even time for downloading the camera....

Acquired some storage containers ( x-military and sea containers ) compliment of a fellow MLU member for better more secure storage..... but hell it sure eats up your time... and more bits and pieces coming..

Stay tuned the best is yet to come...

Boob
PS..if only Australia was not so far..... we would give these guys a run for their scrounging money $$$$
Canada
Old 23-05-10, 03:02
Mr. HUP

Default Finally, Barn Time!

I finally got some time to visit Hammond this afternoon. Spent the time tearing apart some more HUP rims. This time, the tires were only 50 years old, but did they stick to the rims! Spending time away from the barn has its disadvatages - it took the afternoon to separate one tire from the rim. I guess I am a bit out of shape. Hopefully the boys will never have to treat me medically, but if they do, I offer the following PSA: www.supersexycpr.com/ (hopefully they use a CPR face shield...)

Bob and Grant spent their time taking rims apart and pulling out a 56 PowerWagon that is heading to a new owner soon.

Not much else got done as Mother Nature unleashed a good rainstorm with lots of accompanying wind. So, the Hammond crew sat down to catch up on the past few months.

More later...
Old 23-05-10, 11:30

Default Very belatedly......

Quote:
With nothing else to do tonite I decided to see if the old Chev would fire up after sleeping all Winter......

So off I went with a can of ..... as Alec puts it..... Start you bastard spray can.... now the battery has wintered in the tray for the last 5 months... a few squirts.... and a few more...... and by Geez she parked to life.... with the usual blue smoke until the cylinders cleaned themsleves up...... drove around the barn and all over the front lawn and up and down the ditches...... worked great........ my cheeks hurts from grinning..... my ass to as the ditch was rough.

Boob
Bob

Forgot to congratulate you on this post. I could really
relate to this little adventure and was grinning as I read it. To me, this is what having these beasts is all about. What great way to have an awesome arvo...

Oh! and one more thing....... in my charming, subtle Aussie way.......post more photos you crazy Hammond Canucks!!!!!!
Old 23-05-10, 16:11
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post

We did not have the correct NATO slave cable (24 VDC), but hooked up a Hammond Barn special cable, and the Iltis fired up right away.

Cheers!
Stuart
Speaking of auto-recovery, does anyone in Eastern Ontario/West Quebec have a spare 5995-00-123-0108 slave cable?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 26-05-10, 20:03
Mr. HUP

Default Hot Steel

The CMP sweep east of the Rockies continued this past weekend. This time the team picked up Grant's "new" Ford chassis and 3/4 ton trailer. The day proved to be the hottest to date, and the old Ford made us work to extract it from its hull down position. First we had to winch a load of metal out of the way before we winched the frame into the open.

Just to make things a little more interesting, the Ford was missing a wheel and hub on the pax side, and both rear wheels were rust welded to the brake shoes. So, the Ford went on the trailer in a rather cockeyed manner. We made a skid plate for the missing wheel and lubed up the ramps so that the tires slid a little better.

Winching the Ford onto the trailer took a long time as we had to adjust the rear of the Ford with a farmers jack to straighten it out. We set a new record for the longest load out for one frame - and I thought HUPs were obstinate...

Following the frame tie down, the trailer was winched aboard in quick time. It too was tied down and the crew retired to the airconditioned splendor of Bob's truck. More than a little sweat was spilt wrestling with the Ford, so we took a break at a local chip stand. Nothing like piping hot chips on a hot day.

Bob and Grant can comment on the off-load, as I had to duck out as my leave pass had already expired.
Attached Thumbnails
grthaul may 10 001.jpg   grthaul may 10 005.jpg   grthaul may 10 013.jpg   grthaul may 10 017.jpg   grthaul may 10 019.jpg  

Old 26-05-10, 20:12

Looks like an interesting COE to the right in the first photo.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 01-06-10, 03:24
Mr. HUP

Default Barn Update

Sunday at the barn proved to be quite quiet. Bob was away on recce to southern Ontario. Grant was elsewhere. So, I decided to make some noise. Recently obtained HUP parts needed some cleaning. A "new" set of spring hangers and two sets of rims got the treatment. The spring hangers were in pretty good shape needing a bath to remove grease and then a bit of time on the wire wheel to remove the old paint. The clean up revealed that the bushings needed replacing as they were worn in a very lovely oval shape. After degreasing the cleaned parts, they were given a shot of acid and left to dry.

The rims were in fair condition - one set could be deemed safe for use, but the outer rim on the second set will be relegated to "yard use only" status. A few hours with the needle gun removed years of grease, dirt, rust and rubber. Next step - sandblasting.

This week should be interesting as Bob is expecting some "deliveries". I have some work to do on the 45 HUP as a brake fluid leak has been detected at the pax side rear wheel - the hint was the rust flaked bare spot on the bottom of the wheel flange. I hope it is just the hose...more later.
Attached Thumbnails
hupclnmay 001.jpg   hupclnmay 005.jpg   hupclnmay 006.jpg  
Old 01-06-10, 04:42
David Pope

If May 26 or whatever was the hottest day yet, your CMP sweep must have been a looooong way east of the Rockies!!
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 01-06-10, 04:54

The 23rd was toasty warm around here. Well clear of the snowy mountains but still well clear of the cool damp coast. Since there was no crawling on the ground involved, I would have prefered the snow (perhaps not all of it but some cooling would have been nice) that some western stations saw.
Old 01-06-10, 06:04
Mr. HUP

Default Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
If May 26 or whatever was the hottest day yet, your CMP sweep must have been a looooong way east of the Rockies!!
You westerners have my most heartfelt thanks - your weather kept the "global warmers" quiet while we sweated it out here in central Canada. It looks like we are getting some of that cool western weather tonight - the temp will dip to 17oC...
Old 04-06-10, 03:41
Mr. HUP

Default Special Delivery in Hammond

Bob usually gets one or two boxes of CMP goodies each month. June's deliveries were larger than normal...
Attached Thumbnails
bobsboxes 002.jpg   bobsboxes 001.jpg   bobsboxes 003.jpg  
Old 07-06-10, 03:15
Mr. HUP

Default Another Wet Weekend at the Barn

We had 30oC+ weather in May, but June's weather is plain nuts! It was 10oC this morning when I arrived at the barn. The good news: the bugs were not very active, and sweating was minimal. However, one step out of the barn insured you got very very wet. Some fella named Noah was rounding up wood for his boat project.

Bob and Grant spent the day conducting various indoor tasks including the removal of broken off manifold studs. They are getting quite good at this task. Bob helped me purge the HUP brake system and verified that the HUP's bearings were properly loaded.

The next task was to fit the driver side door to the HUP. A bit of background is necessary here - one of the first bits of work I contracted out on the HUP was the repair of the driver side door. Its frame was racked and the skin was beyond economical repair. The hinges were a mess as they had been broken more than once and welded a number of times. The lower hinge was welded directly to the door itself. The upper frame side hinge was welded to the frame. I sent the work out to a recommended metal banger in the west end of Ottawa. The door came back looking like it came right off of the assembly line - less the junked hinges. A test demonstrated that the door fit the opening very well. I felt that the money spent on the door was well worth the result. That was about five years ago.

Recently, I attached a pair of newly acquired "unique to the HUP" hinges to the door and attempted to attach the door to the frame. Things did not go well. Once attached to the frame, the door would not fully close. After some head scratching, the Hammond crew moved on to other tasks.

Today, the door was put in the frame with the hinges attached to it. As the photos show below, there is a misalignment of hinges. The problem stems from my rash decision as a CMP rookie to send work off to folks who were not familiar with our trucks. The metal banger thought (as did I) that the angle on the hinge end of the door was as it should be…Wrong! The metal should be at an angle of 90o when compared to the outer skin. It isn’t.

The three of us discussed various solutions to this little problem. It was suggested that I find another 45 HUP door – easier said than done as good 45 HUP parts are getting to be as rare as rocking horse dirt. It has been almost eight years since I got the HUP, and further delays awaiting parts is not my preferred option.

The next suggestion included the removal of the door skin and banging of the metal back into position. Considering the money I paid for this door, that suggestion didn’t gain too much traction.

Next was to drill new holes in the frame, but the location of the present holes show that they are there for a good reason – they are drilled in the center of the interior cab support bar that joins the windscreen to the lower part of the cab frame. Drilling new holes through the end of the bar would weaken the structure - so no go.

The most workable suggestion we came up with is to extend the length of the frame mounted hinge part. We are looking at welding 5/16 thick metal bar stock to the end of the frame side hinge, filling the holes and then drilling new holes. The “purist” in me had reservations over this move, but I have lots of frame side hinges, and if I am lucky enough to find another driver side 45 HUP door, then a quick fix can be affected. So, that’s the path ahead.

Unless you have some reasonable suggestions??
Attached Thumbnails
hupwoes2010 002.jpg   hupwoes2010 004.jpg  

Last edited by RHClarke; 07-06-10 at 03:26.
Old 11-06-10, 22:32
Mr. HUP

Default Thursday at the Barn

One of the good things about being "between contracts" is that I get to spend more time at the barn. With the new house pretty much set up to the missus' satisfaction, I have spare time!

This Thursday turned out to be quite exciting. After spending a few quiet hours working on things metallic, I heard a car splashing along the barn access road. Visitors!

Clive Law and Don Dingwall stopped by to pick up Law the Younger's Iltis. After removing the swimming pool liner, Clive connected the batterys and tried to start her up. No such luck. Fuel was added to the tank and some was dumped down the carb. The little green truck roared to life and then died. This noise attracted the Hammond airforce in great numbers. It seems they only attack clean people...

So, after much swatting and fuel supply trouble shooting, we cleaned the carb's interior and gave her some more gas. The little truck roared to life again and stayed alive at high revs. After a few minutes she managed to idle at a reasonable rate of rpms.

Clive added some new veterans plates to the truck and Don drove off in search of more fuel. Clive chased Don down to Cheney and nothing more was heard. I trust they made it back to Ottawa as Clive posted last night.

You never know who will show up at the barn...

Photos:
First - Clive and Don (well hidden in back) remove the pool liner from the Iltis.
Second - Clive just after having his bell rung on the roll bar.
Attached Thumbnails
hupwoes2010 007.jpg   hupwoes2010 009.jpg  
Old 12-06-10, 00:03

Default Congratulations, another Iltis on the road

Nice to hear that another Iltis is on the road. I hope to see the Iltis at Bob's BBQ in a few weeks time.

The big trick with starting the Iltis is to pull the choke on (left side of steering wheel). It also helps to pump the gas a few times, and pull the manual throttle half way out (right side of steering wheel). If the engine rpm is too high, reduce the manual throttle, till it warms up. Don't forget to push the choke back in once it is running OK.

Cheers!

Stuart
Old 15-06-10, 18:44
Mr. HUP

Default Crafty Carriere Creations

Bob is at it again. This time his challenge was to figure a way to move his 20ft sea can around the yard. It was suggested that he weld some wheels onto the box, but he came up with a better idea. The following photos show his creativity. A sea can wide square tube axle is slipped into one of the forklift slots. The end assemblies are then attached to the tube and secured in place by some long pins. The front end of the box will be lifted by the tractor and the sea can will be moved like a rather large trailer.

The really interesting thing about the end assemblies is that they can be used for moving other items - such as CMPs that are missing wheels or have "frozen" wheels.

Good job in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
bs 001.jpg   bs 002.jpg  

Last edited by RHClarke; 15-06-10 at 19:56.
Old 15-06-10, 19:17
AKA Richard Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Clive Law and Don Dingwall stopped by to pick up Law the Younger's Iltis.
Thieves!

Bob, you may want to add security to the property. These hooligans are not be taken lightly.
Old 15-06-10, 19:32

Default The father of invention

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Bob is at it again. This time his challenge was to figure a way to move his 20ft sea can around the yard. It was suggested that he weld some wheels onto the box, but he came up with a better idea. The following photos show his creativity. A sea can wide square tube axle is slipped into one of the forklift slots. The end assemblys are then attached to the tube and secured in place by some long pins. The front end of the box will be lifted by the tractor and the sea can will be moved like a rather large trailer.

The really interesting thing about the end assemblies is that they can be used for moving other items - such as CMPs that are missing wheels or have "frozen" wheels.

Good job in my opinion.
Good work! Better get the Canadian patent in place, then sell the manufacture rights to Princess Auto....... In fact those look like Princess auto hubs............

While on the topic of Princess Auto, did you see the "English Wheel" that they are now carrying.
http://www.princessauto.com/shop-gar...-english-wheel
That would make an excellent addition to your metal works shop. Wonderful for making up all sorts of curved pieces for CMP.

One other new addition is a shop gantry, for those of us without double I beams in the work shop. Only rated for 1 ton, but suitable for those of us working on Iltis.....
http://www.princessauto.com/shop-gar...n-gantry-crane
http://www.princessauto.com/shop-gar...-1-ton-trolley
http://www.princessauto.com/shop-gar...ed-chain-hoist
http://www.princessauto.com/shop-gar...n-gantry-crane

Cheers
Stuart
Old 15-06-10, 19:42
Mr. HUP

Default More Barn Activity

Both Bob and I intend to have our CMPs running for the BBQ. To that end, we had our carbs sent out for rebuilding, coating and flow testing. The new carbs have arrived and by all reports, they look fantastic. We will see if they work as good as they look.

I have been working on various HUP bits and pieces including the small front fenders, the small floor plate (which grants access to the starter/brake master cylinder) and the crank centering/support mount on the front bumper.

My HUP fenders were a mangled mess that I had bent back into reasonable shape. The major challenge was to replicate the curve on the outside of the fenders. After hammering the hell out of the metal and making more of a mess, Bob suggested that I take some other CMP fenders and cut the rounded parts off and weld them to the plates for the HUP fenders.

A spare set of fenders were pulled out of the shed and we discovered that the outside or exposed dimensions of the fenders were the same. The bolt patterns were off by about two inches, but holes can be easily filled and new holes drilled. A quick side by side comparison showed that the larger donor fenders could be cut down to "HUP size".

The donor fenders were marked and then cut to size. The holes were filled with weld and ground down. New holes have been marked and will be drilled later this week. Photos of the end product will be posted later.

The floor plate for the HUP is similar to a "normal" CMP but is about one inch narrower. I cut down my "normal" plate to fit the HUP. As luck would have it, the holes match the large floor plate, so no drilling was required. I had to remove the flanges (which set the doghouse into place), cut them down to size and re-weld them to the small plate.

The crank support was rather easy to fab up. Flat steel stock cut down to the requisite dimensions, drilled and filed accordingly. It took about an hour to make it. It was then attached to the bumper by bolts that had their heads ground down to resemble rivets.

A few more steps forward!
Attached Thumbnails
bs 003.jpg   bs 005.jpg   bs 006.jpg   bs 007.jpg  

Last edited by RHClarke; 15-06-10 at 19:58.
Old 15-06-10, 20:19
Chev44

Default Thieves ??!!

Young Law:

Thanks for the new community Iltis. It'll be well used till you get back.
Got your trailer at my place too.

Rob:
We did indeed make it back---all the way out to West Carleton. Aside from losing the speedo around Hunt Club and Bank (we don't need no stinkin speedos...) it was a trouble free drive---except for the idiot behind me (Old Law) who nearly ran into the back of said Iltis when monetarily distracted by a live human female (something he's obviously not used to...)

Stu:
You're spot on. Figured out the whole choke throttle business by the time I got to the gas station in Cheney.

And thanks to Gilles (http://www.militarytrucks.ca) I have all the manuals I need during the reconditioning process that has already started with a new windshield.

Neat little rig that Iltis. I might just keep this one for myself!

Cheers
Don

'Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.'
Old 15-06-10, 20:25

Default Glad you made it....

Hi Don

Will you be coming to the BBQ...?....Matt?? and will the Iltis be there to join the other Iltissisisis...?

I understand you were sniffing around the 56 C4 PW...?

Boob
Canada
Old 16-06-10, 02:26
AKA Richard Law

Don, you can keep the family M38 in lieu of the Iltis. Consider it a gift of thak you for working on my toy!
Old 16-06-10, 02:36
Chev44

Default Hmmmmm.....

Rich:
I'll wait till your old man gets the engine rebuilt, then I'll take possession of the 38!

Bob:
I suspect I'll be at the BBQ at some point Friday or Saturday-we're hosting a baby shower Saturday here at home, so I'll have to do some juggling.

Clive wants to have the Iltis for the BBQ but we need a right front brake line first.

Cheers
Don

'Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.'
Old 16-06-10, 04:37
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Law View Post
Don, you can keep the family M38 in lieu of the Iltis. Consider it a gift of thak you for working on my toy!
This is why your sister is my favourite!