MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 11-02-08, 19:13
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default Amsterdam Remembrance Day

I was reviewing my photos of my visit to Amsterdam for the Remembrance/Liberation celebrations in 2005 and have one that still puzzles me. On May 4th when the ceremonies are taking place in Dam Square a silent parade of people entered led by several drummers with drums muffled in black cloth. It was very solemn. Does anyone know the significance of this march?

Bruce
Old 11-02-08, 21:17
Paul

I know that the parade on the 4th May is to remember all civilians and service personnel killed in war and conflict since the beginning of WW2, and the Liberation Day Parade is held on the following day.

My daughter lived in Amsterdam for a time and she remembers seeing both parades. She cannot remember the significance of the silent parade and muffled drums, but she is going to contact somebody in Amsterdam to find out.

Come to that, our Dutch Brethren should be able to shed some light on the matter.

Paul.
Old 12-02-08, 12:07
MLU Administrator

Bruce, it is exactly what Paul said: 4 May is Dutch Remembrance Day. The ceremony at the Dam Square in Amsterdam is broadcast on national TV while all the dignitaries - including the Queen - are laying wreaths. Practically in every town some sort of remembrance ceremony is held.

The next day is Liberation Day, a day of celebration full of joy and parades all across the country.

Form the start, our liberators were an integral part of the ceremonies. The past decade or so, German state representatives and veterans are also invited to both mourn and celebrate with us.

If you want to know more, just let me know and I'll try to answer.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 13-02-08, 01:17
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Thanks Hanno, I was wondering what the significance was of the solemn procession led by 4 drummers that enters Dam Square during the ceremony on the 4th.

Bruce