MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 01-08-15, 02:17

Default ALS 21 Loudspeaker Question

Hi, I haven't been on here in a dogs age but I was hoping someone would be able to help me with a bit of info concerning a ALS 21 loudspeaker I found recently.

The one I found was made by Redifon in the UK and the large U shaped bracket on it was made by 202 Wksp in Mtl. It appears to be missing a handset and some circular piece on top but is otherwise complete.
I was wondering if anyone knows when the RCA used these and what the bracket fits on? I am really hoping this would fit with the ExRCA M38 I have!

Thanks!

J
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Last edited by Jason Ginn; 01-08-15 at 02:43. Reason: Added txt
Old 01-08-15, 02:40

Good to see you are alive Jason.

If you thought you would be the first with something really annoying on a Jeep you are sadly deluded. We have a chap down here that has a speaker and we are all forced to listen to it.

I think his Jeep may get relocated, you know, like we relocate racoons.

Robin
Old 05-08-15, 22:01

It looks like the tannoy set used to pass fire orders from the CP to the guns. In 1974 5RCLA in Valcatier had their tannoys mounted on the right trail of their 105mm C1 howitzers.
Old 05-08-15, 22:13
carrier mech

Yep, they are Tannoys for the guns. Tannoy was actually a brand name of speaker, but the name has become synonymous with speakers used on the gun line.

On top of your speaker is a bracket for the cable reel. Normally the reel would be mounted on the bracket on a seperate portion of the trails. I have to wonder if the modification of the bracket onto the speaker was a local thing as I have not seen that before.

There would normally be a large round plate with the speaker to protect it during trasit. The plate would be latched over the cone and swung open when set up.

I have seen photos of that particular style of speaker mounted on the trail of a C1 howitzer. Tmie period would likely have been the 60s.

Seems to me the speakers mirror the C42 style of radio. I have a set of 4 of them at home, one of which I'll eventually mount on my C1. If you want to use them to play music, they have to be hooked up in series to get the right ohm resistance.
Old 06-08-15, 03:17

Thanks Guys! That's a huge help.

I was able to find get the following info off-forum from and am getting a better picture of the use of how this should look and how it was used!

1. The Gun Position Loud Speaker is the Tannoy speaker that was used for gun line communications before we started using the Field Artillery Battery Communications System (FABCS) which is just a updated and better protected system from the elements. Once in position, the gun detachment will run WD-1 to the CP from the Tannoy control panel. The CP will have another main panel to hook into so that the gun detachment can call the CP or one of the other guns in the battery. Gun data for a fire mission is given from the CP to individual guns via the Tannoy or handset; or, the CP can talk to the whole battery as required. The small box to the left of the control panel holds the handset. The bracket on top is to hold a reel of WD-1 Sigs wire.

2. The bracket for the WD-1 reel is a DND drawing so we can contract for manufacture as required, we just got a bunch more made up for depot stock. It's very possible 202 Workshop Depot has manufactured these reel brackets in the past. In the pictures, the reel hand crank is missing which is used to reel in the wire when the guns move. The hand crank is part of the WD-1 reel bracket.

3. Attached are a couple pictures of the WD-1 wire reel and the FABCS Gun Unit on the current C3 howitzer to give an idea regarding the use of the equipment. The FABCS has been in service with the RCA since 1988, the old Tannoy was used prior to that.

I am now on the hunt for an early C-42 handset, socket cover, wire reel crank and a what I'm pretty certain is a Lucas button same as the old Land Rover horn buttons for the ack button that is missing.

Rob, do you have a photo of one of yours that shows the handset box lid and the ack button and the speaker protector?

Thanks!

J
Old 06-08-15, 05:31
carrier mech

Jason
I'll have to see about photos this weekend. I have to take my deuce and C1 to cruise night tomorrow.

I have to comment that the reel brackets are weak. There is no bearing surface for the handles. We used to order the ones in from the back door of the M109s and mount then on the trails. Far superior if you can keep all the pieces on them.
Old 08-08-15, 15:20

Thanks Rob! No rush on the pics.

I got thinking about this thingy and its configuration with the reel mount on top and had some luck finding a photo of it in use! The photo I found was of a 2RCHA L5 with E Battery (Para) taken in the 80's. The configuration is identical!

I thought the L5 might be a candidate as the trails couldn't hold the Tannoy or reel holder.

The pic is from http://home.cogeco.ca/~jukeboxpete/I...es/Page427.htm
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-08-15, 15:41

Jason,

being a Land Rover nut I may be able to help you with the switch / button you describe, do you have a photo?

Robin
Old 10-08-15, 23:46
carrier mech

Photos of some of mine. Note the tag on the one from Valcom rebuild dated 1979. Also notice the one has been adapted to interface with the newer 524/77 era of radios as opposed to the C42.
Attached Thumbnails
m151a2 and ww1 amb 038.JPG   m151a2 and ww1 amb 046.JPG   m151a2 and ww1 amb 048.JPG   m151a2 and ww1 amb 042.JPG   m151a2 and ww1 amb 040.JPG  

Old 13-08-15, 04:05

Those are perfect! Thank you so much!
It looks like I have a few pieces to make but nothing too complex
Old 22-08-15, 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post
Jason,

being a Land Rover nut I may be able to help you with the switch / button you describe, do you have a photo?

Robin
Thanks for the offer Robin.

The button is a SPB 160. Image in the link below.
http://www.gsparkplug.com/push-horn-...as-spb160.html

Best,

J