MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 08-08-10, 21:23
Banned

Default Shipping a DUKW from U.S.

Hi Guys

I am shipping a DUKW from the U.S. to Canada. I am told I need a export permit from the U.S. to bring it to Canada. If anyone has any experience in this, I sure would like some advice. I didn't think an export permit would be needed, any and all help would be appriceiated.

Cheers
Adam
Old 09-08-10, 03:43
Gilles Chartrand

Default Exporting to Canada

I have exported 8 vehicles from the US to Canada and it is very easy. First is the DUKW registered for ther road and does it have a title?
If the vehicle does not have a title then you have the bill of sale say that the vehicle is for private use and will be used in military shows and demonstrations. If that is the case you simply take the vehicle to Canadian customs, present the paperwork to Customs, they will make you pay the GST 5% and you take the DUKW home.
If the vehicle is registered for the road and has a title and you will be driving it on the road, you must then get an original copy of the bill of sale, the original State title and send them to the border crossing where you will export/import the vehicle into Canada. You must submit the paperwork 72 hrs (3 working days) prior to crossing to the US Border & Customs c/o Export control.
After 72hrs you go to Export control at the border, they will check the seial number stamp the documents and you then proceed to Cdn Customs.
Don't forget the DUKW is not subject to any controls or import restrictions and does not require a EUC(End User Certificate) because of its age and it is not an armoured vehicle but rather a traqnsport vehicle, after all the truck is a floating truck.. The import procedure is very simple and before doing anything check the Borders and Custom website for information. Once you read it you will be more confused that before, I was. I simply stopped at the border and asked my questions there.
I would talk to the Govt licence office to see if you can drive the vehicle on the road and what is required for documentation.
The whole procedure is very easy. Also how will the vehicle be shipped? Are you picking it up or is a transport company going to bring it to you. If you get it shipped by a transport company, you will then have to deal with a customs broker.
This option will be more costly but they will handle the paperwork. I normally haul my own vehicles.
Also at the border tell them that the vehicle is an old military vehicle you will be restoring and as my son often tells me "don't say anything or talk and only answer the questions they ask." If you have any questions to not hesitate to send me a PM. Gilles
Old 09-08-10, 12:40
Banned

Default Thanks Gilles

Thats a help. Any and all advise is apprecieated.

Cheers
Adam