MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MLU ADMIN > TAC HQ

Notices

Old 08-04-09, 01:05
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default This Last Outage

Sorry about that, lads - it took more out of me than it did you! It hasn't been explained yet, but what is certain is that it's past time to go about the process of changing providers. Despite six years of reasonable service (for the price) it's plain that the pendulum has swung the other way for the long term.

The upshot of all this is, is that we're not out of the woods yet. Over the next few days I shall find an alternate provider, take down the forum to back EVERYTHING up, change the DNS listings and load everything up on the new box.

This might take some time, so have patience, please... it's a bloody big and expensive job! I'm NOT looking forward to it, but we have no choice. I shall keep you informed as best I can in this thread before any such actions begin, but there may be little notice if we consider the international nature of all of our time zones.

Thanks for your understanding.

Jif
Old 09-04-09, 13:00
Peter

There was a denial of Service attack on North American DNS servers, this may have been at least partly responsible for the problem.

Three or four sites that we regularly visit, including Google, Smokstak and Listerengine were down at the same time.

Do you know what your average bandwidth is ?

Peter
Old 09-04-09, 14:41
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
There was a denial of Service attack on North American DNS servers, this may have been at least partly responsible for the problem.

Three or four sites that we regularly visit, including Google, Smokstak and Listerengine were down at the same time.

Do you know what your average bandwidth is ?

Peter
Hmmm... that might explain the "Too many connections" errors I've been receiving recently. Interesting.

As far as bandwidth is concerned, I host a total of 12 domains of which four (incl MLU) are very active; my bandwidth varies, but it can be anywhere from 35 to 50 gigs a month.
Old 11-04-09, 10:30
Peter

I wondered about your hosting package, we use a guy in the UK (as we are based here) but he has a good setup and is relatively cheap compared with some of the cr*p hosting that is around.

We have our own little engine forum, plus 12 domains, five of which are our company's, the rest are our hobby/family sites.

We run at about 10gb - 11gb bandwidth, but that spikes quite sharply when new engine show pictures and videos get posted, up to 20gb. Our hosting guy is very good and doesn't look at peaks, just the monthly average, just as well!

We run a reseller package (we don't sell space in it though) which gives us unlimited domains, storage etc etc, only the bandwidth is 'capped' for want of a better word.

If you find yourself looking for another home, drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch.

Peter