MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-20, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Jakko.
Do you know if the refurbishment is being considered solely as a ‘standard’ Sherman, or is the plan to reconstruct an acceptable external representation of its wartime Crab entity?
I don’t know for sure, but I would be highly surprised if restoration of the Crab fittings was in the works. Here’s what the tank looked like in 1962, very soon after it was originally put next to the existing memorial:

Crab T148656 in 1962.jpg

(Note the sheet metal over the remains of the jib attachment points on the front sides.)

I strongly suspect that I know how people would react if the mine-clearing gear were to be reinstated … “That’s not the Tank! What’s all that stuff on the front?”

Oh, and just for fun, here’s when it was replaced in 1988:

T148656 1988.jpeg

I’ve got scans of a whole series of pictures of that, and intend to make my own similar ones of the upcoming restoration