MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 08-07-10, 11:37
RIP

Default 2 pounder anti tank gun

Well here is next thread on guns in need of bits , the 2pdr anti tank gun was manfactured in Australia in two basic models and widely exported ,the first had hooks on side for shield side skirts and latter did not .
according to Gower at least 1000 guns were on hand here and about 150 were overseas imports rest local made . Another variance is uk guns tend to have more rivets and round axles where Aussie guns tend to have rectangular bar axles . note uk guns here had round axles but from posts from Ron it seems latter guns also had rectangular axles in uk and possibly canada his gun by BSA has a rectangular axle and one in Rotunda so it may just be an upgrade on all guns
The first major defeat suffered by the Japanese was at Milne bay and at the hands of 2pdr gunners with mk1 guns with no skirts fitted seen as too cumbersom in the field.

large numbers of these were scrapped post war and ended on farms for axles and other parts and until recently it was reasonably common to find one or parts of one here, but demand has been growing steadily for these guns and they have subsequently dried up many being assembled from parts and missing the same parts due to large amounts of parts being made from bronze or alloy .
They also were locally used on attack carriers and a few of these have been restored as well drying up further guns , they sit on back of carriers in Australia not front as in uk and Canada and use more generic 2pdr parts as well there are a few portee versions being restored on blitz trucks . it is a nice manageable size and has some amazing features I call it a" rolls royce "gun compared to others of the time as it was very well made with 360 degree traverse, speed and slow traverse wheeled and quick detacheable carridge for fixed positon firing and low profile shooting . some issues can be hard to overcome restoring these as some metals do not do well together in damp neglected conditions ie alloy pedal mounts and metal pedals and shafts .

Ammunition was stored in eight round tins in cardboard tubes early and latter post war metal racks . These tins were stored two per larger tin for ammo supply and two in ready use locker on gun as well as another two tins behind ready use locker .local tins were more stocky and squared with top canvas handle and Canadian tins were less stocky more rounded without canvas top straps .Aussie tins were painted according to Ammo in them some red some green while Canadian tins were green as was outside storage tin . rounds were mixed the commonest was AP but proof and HE have been sited and there is even suppose do to be a capped round but I have seen none to date. against th eitalian and japanese tanks th e2pdr was more than adequate and hence it survived long after the war here beng disposed of around 1950 by army but kept on as naval landing gun and sub calibre device until later with naval making the last production of all steel storage tins in 1955
my gun was restored over 15 years using parts off six guns to make it as original as possible down to original paint work in fact I bought my last gun to get a slide unit with original paint to complete it . I need the detacheable bar that sits on the stud lower front of shield to attach canvas covers to if anyone has one and the wooden liner for leather tool box if anyone has one enjoy the shots naturally all ammo is empty and stored in accordance with local laws

Last edited by Rod Bellars (RIP); 25-08-15 at 09:53.
Old 03-08-10, 06:14

Default 2 pounder ammo can

Hi Rod,
Very nice collection! I noticed in one of your pictures an ammo can that holds 8-2 pounder rounds and it has a tray to secure the rounds on top of the bottom half of the can.

I have a Canadian ammo can that has been identified as a 2 pounder can but never knew how they were secured until I noticed your picture and then it made sense to me how it was done.Would you have a close up shot of the tray and any other inserts inside the can to hold the rounds secure? I also never knew why the cans were not stencilled until I saw one that had a paper label identifying the contents of the can as ammunition.The top of the lid is stamped;
GSW/CANADA 1942 MK II

Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 03-08-10, 12:02
RIP

okay you have selected a red Aussie tin but the rounds are held the same as the Canadian tin only real diference being the Aussie tins are same as British with handle on top of lid to aid removal and more squarish . The rounds are held in the ww2 tins in eight cardboard tubes that are stepped on the outside as they line up with tin top the two loops located at each side of the top of the lower tin then has bar that fits snugly in the loops and may be either pressed tin or solid bar and its secured with split pins when all tubes are in place to secure them .

many tins are found gutted as post war use did not have a need for the tubes .In the early days of my collecting there used to be a large amount of the tins in two scrap yards very rusted from years in weather where they were stripped from ther two can storage tins .After many hours ripping open rotted tins we salvaged a number of tubes and even rarer star clips that go on back of rounds that had fell ,over use, down side of tubes into bottom of some tins .

The same use of tubes and clips was in the 6pdr tins as well, the later post war tin used by navy here for landing party use and sub calibre devices had steel racks inside for rounds and did not use the tubes as cardboard tubes were found to react over time with the brass cases

I do have a nice pair of canadian tins with all internals and if I remember in next week will try and get you some shots for this thread just next few days are a bit full on and i have back issues suffering an injury a week ago dragging a German trench mortar , wont do that again

regards

Last edited by Rod Bellars (RIP); 03-08-10 at 12:06. Reason: spelling