MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 25-12-23, 18:08

Default Tooling: reamer for king pin bearings

I currently in the process of restoring my 11 Cab F8, during tear down it was discovered the king pin bearings were worn out (shocking!). This is a well known repair and is easily completed. When installing new bushings a Reamer is required to ensure correct clearance and alignment.

Since most people don't have the correct tooling, some websites are offering to sell said Reamer at roughly $150 USD as a option to add to the repair kits. As I am only planning to complete this repair once, I decided to search the Tool Crib at work to see if we had Reamers available. Luck was on my side and indeed we do have a complete kit available, to my surprise I also discovered the C Broad Arrow markings

It amazes me tooling from 1940s is till being used by the military to this day, if its not broken no need to replace it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5348.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	136676

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5347.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	136677
Old 25-12-23, 19:26
carrier mech

I used to see the C/i\ mark on several of the tools that went through the various toolcribs that I worked in. It was occasionally found on the cheap inside and outside calipers that were in the vehicle tech toolkits. Occasioanally it would be on various wrenches, which show that quality tools will stick around for a long time. And, over the years, I found various of the X- prefixed tools which were for the Ford flathead 8 still hanging in the cribs. I may have an original oil pan wrench around here somewhere that was liberated as it no longer had a use.

To do those bushings right, you really need a reamer that will go right through the upper and lower bushings at the same time. Are the ones you found long enough?

Looking forward to seeing your progress on that F8.
Old 01-01-24, 19:15

A little time and a bit of elbow grease the Kingpin bushing in the F8 have been changed. As said before I am glad to be able to have access to the correct tooling to complete this repair and amused that it's most likely WWII era with the C /l\ markings.

We were trying to figure out the best way to ensure the Reamer would line up both bushings (drill press/lathe/vice/Clamps) and after a bunch of back and fourth we just decided to wing it. Things went splendidly as the Reamer started with easy and continued all the way through to both bushing straight and true. The next big step is to get the Springs and axle hung on the chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5367.jpg   IMG_5413.JPG   Screenshot 2024-01-01 125714.jpg   IMG_5412.JPG  
Old 02-01-24, 00:18
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Nice

Looking good !

Is the F8 front axle a standard commercial Ford part ? The C8 front axle (I beam) part number is same as a 1939/40 Chev 30 cwt truck but they fitted the light commercial 15 cwt brakes .

Mechanics here usually use a expanding reamer with a screw on extension pilot and a floating tapered bush.
The tapered bush guides the reamer , keeping it in line with the opposite bore .
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2024-01-02-09-56-45.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 02-01-24, 03:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
Looking good !

Is the F8 front axle a standard commercial Ford part ? The C8 front axle (I beam) part number is same as a 1939/40 Chev 30 cwt truck but they fitted the light commercial 15 cwt brakes .

Mechanics here usually use a expanding reamer with a screw on extension pilot and a floating tapered bush.
The tapered bush guides the reamer , keeping it in line with the opposite bore .
From what I have cross referenced so far, a large amount of the early 11/12 cab parts are civilian.

At work I found both style of reamer, but was only to take the expandable reamer as a last resort.