MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 07-04-19, 22:37
GM Fox I

Default Carrier mufflers??

Does anyone have a workable replacement muffler for a Canadian carrier? I ran my old girl up today and think she's due. It's not holes so much as I expect the inner baffles have rusted out and the remnants are now sitting at the bottom of the muffler impeding exhaust flow.

What works? Is there a modern muffler that fits and has the right in/out that I can weld my existing pipes to?
Old 08-04-19, 02:36
carrier mech

Superdave listed the numbers he used as Walker muffler 17864. They are available thru NAPA, retail at $75 and trade price around $50.69 each. They are not left and right hand oriented like the originals, but I have made them work just fine on a couple carriers now.
Old 08-04-19, 03:34
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Superdave listed the numbers he used as Walker muffler 17864. They are available thru NAPA, retail at $75 and trade price around $50.69 each. They are not left and right hand oriented like the originals, but I have made them work just fine on a couple carriers now.
Thanks Rob. Amazon has them for $33.24!! My top and bottom pipes are salvageable so it seems a pretty simple fix to weld those onto the flanges on these.

I take it the length and diameter is close to the originals?
Old 08-04-19, 05:06
carrier mech

Yes, length and diameter are very close, but the issue will be "timing" the inlet and outlet to get the exhaust pipes to where they belong in the oval cutouts. They worked out OK for me, but I made up the complete exhaust from the manifold outlets to the downpipes.
Old 03-08-19, 02:42
GM Fox I

Default Muffler update

It's been a challenge. Amazon sold me a pair of Walker (or Soundmaster) 17864's for $26USD each and let me swing for a month before cancelling my order as unavailable without telling me. I went to my UAP store that similarly ordered a set for me then found out they are out of production and no longer available. Against every personal conviction I went to ebay and ordered a set from some nice 'buy it now' auto parts place in Nashville. Price is about $140 Canadian shipped with the silly ebay global scam add on. Should be here next week.

From the specs they sound like a pretty good fit...17" by 6" diameter (bang on with the originals) with 1-1/2" pipes spaced top and bottom (a 30 degree offset is what the originals are). My inlet and outlet pipes are great so maybe everything will bolt right up.
Old 03-08-19, 12:19
MLU Administrator

Bruce,

If that fails, search this forum for "Bosal Citroen Saxo exhaust muffler", reportedly they are a perfect match. Probably harder to get in North America, as Bosal is a Dutch manufacturer and I cannot imagine Citroen sold the Saxo into that market.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 09-08-19, 02:02
GM Fox I

I received two Walker 17864's today. We passed a broken down courier truck on the way home from work and I told my wife wouldn't it be ironic if it was delivering the mufflers. Turns out it was.

Comparing them to the originals, the body is exactly the right length and diameter. The inlets and outlets are the right size and leave lots of room to attach the correct pipes to. The only difference is that the top and bottom pipes are 180 degrees apart whereas the originals have one about 30 degrees rotated (or 'out of timing' as Rob says). I'll see how much play there is (ie if I can distribute the difference between the top and bottom) or if a new custom pipe needs to be made. For sure one side has to be right. My pipes are original WW2 and solid as a rock...I want to reuse them if I can.

One question: the Walkers have an arrow that points A in one direction and B in the other and are not marked 'inlet' and 'outlet'. Is there a convention that says whether A or B is the inlet/outlet?
Attached Thumbnails
Muf2.JPG   Muff1.JPG  
Old 09-08-19, 03:27

Cut open and repair the internal baffles in your originals ... in the form of a question . . .?
Old 09-08-19, 04:00
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. View Post
Cut open and repair the internal baffles in your originals ... in the form of a question . . .?
In the form of an answer, I did that 6 years ago and ran with it. I now find myself where I am. Rot does set in.

And after a point the externals get punky too.
Old 09-08-19, 05:20

Default Muffler A&B

These mufflers are a multi-fit type and in the catalogue, depending on the application it would specify A or B for the inlet. In other words it doesn’t matter, the muffler is non- directional. Whichever way it fits best, put it on.

Paul
Old 09-08-19, 23:11
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Singleton View Post
These mufflers are a multi-fit type and in the catalogue, depending on the application it would specify A or B for the inlet. In other words it doesn’t matter, the muffler is non- directional. Whichever way it fits best, put it on.

Paul
Thanks, and that makes sense. Looking inside it appears to be identical baffle tubes going the length of the muffler. I doubt there's more to it than that.
Old 10-08-19, 00:26
carrier mech

Some of the technical info from these mufflers:
Quote:

Body Configuration: Offset - Offset
Body Cross Section Diameter: 6"
Body Length: 17 in
Inlet Configuration: Offset
Muffler Body Height (in): 6 in.
Muffler Body Width (in): 6 in.
Muffler Inlet Connection Type: Pipe Connection
Muffler Inlet Count: 1
Muffler Inlet Diameter 1 (in): 1 1/2"
Muffler Inlet Diameter Designation: I.D.
Muffler Inlet I.D.: 1 1/2"
Muffler Material: Steel
Muffler Outlet Connection Type: Pipe Connection
Muffler Outlet Count: 1
Muffler Outlet Diameter (in): 1 1/2"
Muffler Outlet Diameter Designation: I.D.
Muffler Outlet I.D.: 1 1/2"
Muffler Shape: Round
Outlet Configuration: Offset
Overall Length: 24 in.
Reversible: No
Shell Length: 17"
UNSPSC: 25173702

Note the info on "reversible". Then again, I am not sure if I directed the ones I have used (I have done 3 different carriers in the past few years using these mufflers). All are nice and quiet. I did drill a drain hole in the low spot of the mufflers as well as the pipes to allow water condensation to escape.
Old 10-08-19, 00:42
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Some of the technical info from these mufflers:

Note the info on "reversible". Then again, I am not sure if I directed the ones I have used (I have done 3 different carriers in the past few years using these mufflers). All are nice and quiet. I did drill a drain hole in the low spot of the mufflers as well as the pipes to allow water condensation to escape.
Right, I'd put one side on A up and the other B up and the damn carrier would pull to the left...
Old 11-08-19, 23:51
GM Fox I

Well, they're in. The hardest part was creating the right diameter inlets/outlets to take the original pipes (sleeve inside or outside...that's was the quandary). I can see where the originals that are slightly offset would have been better but by shortening up the pipes and twisting the muffler bodies the 17864's work fine (twisting moves them away from the centreline of the brackets but there is enough slop to a point). The alternative would be to bend brand new custom pipes but that would be a long, iterative process. I ended up putting the 'B' side down (B for bottom I guess) and wish I'd used the 'A'. Using the B puts the muffler seam face out and visible and the originals have no seam. Not a big deal but the more cosmetically original the better. I painted them black which will probably peel off but for now, they look damned original!

Last edited by Bruce Parker (RIP); 12-08-19 at 00:02.