MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 29-07-08, 01:32

Smile SDG Highlanders - finding the man who saved my father's life

For those families who are searching for information about relatives in WWII, do not give up hope. My father died in 1982 of a heart attack. He was shot five times during WWII as he worked his way through France, Belgium and Germany. He received his most serious wounds in mid-February 1945 during Operation Veritable near the Reichswald Forest, where he was shot through the head (i.e. the right eye), the shoulder, and in the hip. Miraculously, my father survived the War. After he died in 1982, I began a long search for information about his war years, including trying to find the man who had saved his life. All I had to go on was the name "Dinty Moore", with the first name being a nickname and the fact that "Dinty" had also won the Military Medal during the War. Through hard work and happenstance, I managed to locate "Dinty", whose real name is Harold David Moore, in early 2001. He is still in good health and has become a close friend. He also managed to provide me with the details surrounding my father's wounds in February 1945 because Dinty was right beside my father when the German machine gun opened up and hit my father three times. Dinty also took immediate measures to drag my father to safety and get medical assistance for him.

For all of the family members who are looking for information on men and women who served during WWII, don't give up and don't despair because there happy endings out there waiting to happen.

I would be pleased to send anyone who is interested a copy of a 2003 article by the Toronto Star on my quest to find the elusive "Dinty Moore" and the fortunate series of events which led to my locating him.
Old 29-07-08, 04:10
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Douglas

A fascinating story indeed! Thanks, Douglas. I think we'd all love to read that story, if you'd be willing to share it.

Old 29-07-08, 06:21

Default Article on George Cunningham and Dinty Moore (SDG Highlanders)

I tried attaching the article from the Toronto Star but it is slightly larger than the space limitation imposed by the Website. It is in PDF format. Any suggestions as to how I might share it with other readers of the Forum? Thanks.
Old 29-07-08, 11:37
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasmcunningham View Post
I tried attaching the article from the Toronto Star but it is slightly larger than the space limitation imposed by the Website. It is in PDF format. Any suggestions as to how I might share it with other readers of the Forum? Thanks.
Douglas,

I can convert that to text for posting purposes if you want to mail it to me... use sunrayniner_at_mapleleafup_dot_org (fix the address first).

Thanks,

Geoff