MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 02-01-11, 07:45
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Floods in Queensland

We see on our news services the devastating floods in Queensland at the moment. Are any MLU'ers affected?

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 02-01-11, 10:58

Keith we have had over 7 inches of rain since 3pm on Chrismas Day with a break of 2 fine days just before New Year. The worst of the flooding is North, South and West of Gympie. 40% of Rockhampton is flooded and the township of Theodore to the west has been fully evacuated. Some places have had their years worth of rain fall since Christmas Day. A lot of the citizens of Emerald (a small city) have also been taken out by Army Blackhawk helicoptors. Water is still flowing downstream and Rockhampton and Bundaberg are set to get much worse as are some other areas with rivers still to reach their peak. Damage is estimated at close to 2 billion dollars and set to rise once the water is gone. That is if it does as the forecasts show more rain on the way. An area the size of New South Wales is under water or the size of France and Germany for the European members.

But spirits are still up and I don't mean the liquid kind either

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 02-01-11, 11:07
Film maker, CMP addict

Default 7 inches??!!

That is almost incomprehensible!

No wonder they were talking about biblical proportions.

Stay dry if you can...

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 02-01-11, 11:17

Keith Gympie was lucky with only moderate flooding others had between 15 and 24 inches in the same period. Looks like Rockhampton will become an island with the road North being the only one open set to flood tonight. They are saying the city will be cut off for up to 10 days before the water recedes. Power has been cut to 10,000 people and clean water for drinking is being trucked in to many places with all sewage and freah water treatment plants so badly damaged it will take weeks to restore them to working order. Most families in outlying towns and cities that flooded lost everything. It will also take months to get the mines working again so the state will have income to pay for repairs.

Cliff

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
Old 02-01-11, 11:38
MLU Administrator

It has been on the news here in Holland too (mind you, we know what rain is). I was astonished when I heard of the amounts of water and the size of the area hit by the floods.

Best of luck to all affected MLU members!

Hanno
Old 02-01-11, 13:39
V.M.V.C Member

Default In the back ground

On the news today in one of the shots of Rockhampton it showed a CMP and another truck up to the bumper bars in water in the middle of the street. It looked like it was in use, any clues?
4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)
Old 02-01-11, 15:03
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
Keith Gympie was lucky with only moderate flooding others had between 15 and 24 inches in the same period. Looks like Rockhampton will become an island with the road North being the only one open set to flood tonight. They are saying the city will be cut off for up to 10 days before the water recedes. Power has been cut to 10,000 people and clean water for drinking is being trucked in to many places with all sewage and freah water treatment plants so badly damaged it will take weeks to restore them to working order. Most families in outlying towns and cities that flooded lost everything. It will also take months to get the mines working again so the state will have income to pay for repairs.

Cliff
We are pulling for you and watching the telly ..The water is doing a lot of damage ,but thankfully there is not a tremendous loss of life as some other country's have experienced..The Ozzies are tough..and will come through this..
We are praying for relief for Australians in the effected area and hope that all the cane toads drown..
Old 02-01-11, 22:58
Graeme Jamieson

Default re In the back ground

Euan,
I also saw that CMP paddling n ther water, been searching the newsgroups ever since for more pics to no avail.
Graeme
Old 04-01-11, 11:38
Tony Baker

Default QLD Floods

A couple of my parts 'contacts' have been flooded in at one time or another, over recent weeks.
One fellow I offered help to get food to, but he was well prepared ahead of time. Had 3/12 worth of canned food stored away. House not affected by water though.
Old 04-01-11, 23:15

Guys,
I know Australia is big, but to hear that an area the size of France and Germany is under water, is hard to imagine ( Oh, apparently the crocs are now floating about as well !) . I just hope all you guys in Queensland are managing to stay dry, at least on the outside
Take care guys
Regards from a cold England
Keith
Old 05-01-11, 20:16
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Not only crocs

There are also thousands of snakes swimming too. Deadly poisonous ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Orpin View Post
Guys,
I know Australia is big, but to hear that an area the size of France and Germany is under water, is hard to imagine ( Oh, apparently the crocs are now floating about as well !) . I just hope all you guys in Queensland are managing to stay dry, at least on the outside
Take care guys
Regards from a cold England
Keith

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 05-01-11, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
There are also thousands of snakes swimming too. Deadly poisonous ones.
Not only there but in the abandoned houses as well as people are discovering when they return to clean up after the water has gone down. While these normally don't bother us much, in conditions like these they are concentrated so any high ground they are occupying is so they can stay dry just like us

We had another 50mm of rain last night and it is predicted heavy falls of up to 200mm (8 inches) will continue over most of the flood area for the next 4 or 5 days which will make matters worse then now.

Most of the States summer crops are wiped out along with a lot of livestock. Prices for fruit, vegetables and meat will rise by 20-50% as supplies are trucked in from southern states or imported from overseas to make up the shortfall. One big supermarket chain has relaxed it's tough quality rules to allow slighty blemised fruit/veges to be sold at it's stores. Pineapple farmers are rushing to harvest what they can and get it to market before it rots in the fields. Sugar Cane farmers can't harvest due to the wet ground bogging machinery.

2011 is going to be a tough year for most Queensland producers and Queenslanders will be worse off pocket wise in paying for food. But guess what? We are a tough lot and we will bounce back quickly unlike the Aussie Cricket team who all need the boot so new younger players can start the winning ways again!

Many thanks to all those in other Aussie States & Overseas who have offered to help in our hour of need.

Old 05-01-11, 21:46

G’Day from Rockhampton Oz! River level @ 9.14m, which is the third highest flood in history in these parts.
The sun is shinning and most of the city is going about their lives like any other day except for the poor buggers who have been flood affected in some way which is perhaps 10 - 15% of the city.
A lot the coal mines in the Central Queensland area are shut down due to open cut pits being full of water or road access to them has been destroyed.
Emerald - population approx 10,000 - 13,000. 80% of this town went underwater to some degree.
The Fairburn dam that is approximately 20 km upstream of Emerald had over 5m of water going over the spillway. Talking to mates out there they told me the dam wall was vibrating due to force and depth of the water.
As for the crocs… well they had better be able to swim bloody fast! The river is flowing very, very quickly.
As for poisonous snakes, well there around just like always except perhaps a bit more concentrated.
What amazes me is the amount of cattle and other livestock being swept down the river! 1 local claims to have counted 30 head of cattle going past his place on the river. If by chance they do get out of the river they tend to be a bit shitty and take a while to settle down.
This river system is the 2nd largest river system in Australia and at the moment it is chokers (full) and our wet season has only just begun with February generally being our wettest month.
As for the CMP’s I think they probably belong to members of the 1st Light Horse Re- enactment Troop.

Regards
Alan Nicholas
Australia
Old 05-01-11, 21:55

According to the News this morning enough water is flowing past Rockhampton every day to fill Sydney Harbour

Old 05-01-11, 22:45
M38A1 CDN3

Recent news in Canada reports that, because of the flooding, the price of wheat will rise dramatically.

Similarly, due to coke mines now being inoperative, the price of steel will rise dramatically.

Effects will be felt globally.

Yikes!!!
Old 05-01-11, 23:11

Default wheat prices

Seems strange that the Australian wheat crop would be affected by flooding. Usually the bad news is drought. As reality check just how much of the total Australian wheat crop is grown in the flood affected areas.
Old 05-01-11, 23:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Similarly, due to coke mines now being inoperative, the price of steel will rise dramatically.

Effects will be felt globally.

Yikes!!!
Queensland normally exports 100 million dollars worth of coking coal a day according to the news and there is over 30 bulk coal carrier ships just sitting off the coast waiting to load when operations can start again which could be months.

Old 09-01-11, 05:10
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Photos

Some great images at Boston's big picture.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 09-01-11, 05:17

Unhappy

Gympie and Maryborough are copping it now. While I am above flood level in Gympie I will soon have a water view to my south. Shops in Gympie's main street are shifting stock out now in preparation for the buildings going under.

PS> that is a darn good photo Keith. My friendly neighbor is going to take me for a drive to get some photos IF the rain ever stops

Old 09-01-11, 11:16
Tony Baker

Default Gympie, Queensland. Low areas believed at risk in next 24 to 48hrs.

With nothing productive I could do on the farm, we all drove into town (Gympie)this morning to check on the rising flood levels. At my place, we have had >300mm of rain in 3 days. I say ">" as the rain gauge which holds 190mm, overflowed for who knows how long one night!

Gympie has been through many floods in past decades, and the people know the drill on precautions. This afternoon, businesses in the main street (Mary St) were evacuating their goods and shop fittings. Unfortunately for Mary Street, it is one of the lower areas of Gympie, and is often in peril from flood waters during severe rains. Some of the older locals have been warning of impending serious flooding for some time now, as they believed it to be far overdue!.

The following is the latest weather report for outlook:

Very heavy rainfall of up to 190 millimetres has been recorded in the headwaters of the Mary River since 9am this morning and rainfall is expected to continue during Sunday night. Renewed rises are expected at Gympie during Sunday night with major flood levels expected during Monday. At Gympie, river levels will start rising during Sunday night and reach the
major flood level of 17 metres early Monday morning and continue rising during
Monday. It is not possible to provide a peak forecast at this stage as heavy
rainfall continues in the catchment.

Predicted River Heights/Flows:
Gympie: Exceed 17 metres early Monday.
Higher levels expected during Monday.

It is not possible to provide a peak forecast at this stage as heavy rainfall
continues in the catchment.

Anyone interested in following flooding status can do so on : http://www.bom.gov.au and select "Queensland (or QLD)". Radar images are available, as is the latest forceasts of flood areas and road closures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8250054.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	39369
This is what the Mary River looks like when angry! Normally the river is around 10-15 feet BELOW the bridge. This photo is from a very minor flood last year. No homes or businesses were damaged. This morning I took video of the same location, and the waters are approximately 6 feet higher already.

Name:	P8250058.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	39370
This photo is of Bell's Bridge, 5 min north of Gympie, just before it went under water. For some reason, these fellows thought it a good idea to stop and have a really good look. Once again, this photo is from the earlier flooding. Today this bridge is fully submerged, and apart from the approach roads, there is no evidence of it's presence.

Name:	P8250063.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	39371
The driver of this truck encountered rain so heavy he had to stop driving and pull to the side of the road. Due to the rain, he was not able to know that the road shoulder was so saturated that his truck sank to the extent it would have rolled over if no embankment was able to lend a supportive hand

Perhaps for the truck driver it was 'a shoulder to cry on'. Sorry, couldn't help myself!

I will take my camera with me tomorrow, and hope to take some interesting photos worthy of posting.
Old 09-01-11, 21:50

Unhappy

My wife took these this morning just below our place. The first is the sports fields and the second the far side of the One Mile State School. Water was rising fast and we have just heard the Mary River Flood level has been revised to 19 metres which means the Historic Main street and it's businesses will go under some to their eaves.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-11, 04:52
Tony Baker

Default Gympie flooding pics.

These were taken this morning!
Water level was 14mt at time of photography.
Current level at time of writing this is approx 17.6mt

A number of national media groups have lobbed into town. One parked in the area on left of the first photo, maybe 20 feet from the water line at the time. They moved within 30min because water was approaching their tyres.

Name:	P1110069.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	39394
This is the lower part of Gympie CBD area. Mary Street is off to the left of photo. Levels now expected to exceed 20m (60ft). The awning on left of photo (with "pasta" written) is where water will be if it reaches 22mt.

Name:	P1110075.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	39393
Took this photo coming into town from north. This tank used to be around 40ft from present location. It was obviously afloat, and may be dramatically relocated in coming hours.

Name:	P1110067.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	39392
Gympie's 'southside' in distance, with waters just begining to affect properties in foreground. The Bruce Highway was already cut in 4 places when this was taken.

Name:	P1110077.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	39395
Bell's Bridge, Wide Bay Highway.
Water approx 2mt over bridge roadway. Mild road surface damage is just visible on the far side approach. Will be interesting to see how the old concrete railing posts have stood up to tons of debris!
Attached Thumbnails
P1110064.JPG  
Old 10-01-11, 05:29

we now have a water view from our place rather then green cricket pitches.

Old 10-01-11, 08:50
Blitzed

Default floods

Stay safe guys and girls. Watching the news tonight they were saying Towoomba copped a hiding today with flash flooding. 1 dead and 5 missing. Lets hope the government pulls out all stops to help QLD.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/01/10/3109884.htm

Last edited by Ryan; 10-01-11 at 08:52. Reason: link
Old 10-01-11, 21:15
Tony Baker

Default Unbelievable!

What has happened in Toowoomba and lower communities is absolutely unbelievable.

I cannot imagine the volume of rain required to cause such devestation.

They are referring to this as an "inland tsunami".
I have NEVER seen anything like this in my life, and hope I never do again.

The image of a car full of people floating in a sea of muddy water was horrible. I'm unsure if they were saved or not.
Old 10-01-11, 23:28

Unhappy 08:30 11 Jan 2011

8 confirmed dead and 70 missing in Towoomba area west of Brisbane

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-d...-1225985390369

Old 14-01-11, 11:47
Steve

Here are some photos of how the flood water affected the Military Jeep Club of Queensland's club house in Rocklea:
http://www.mjcqinc.com/2011/Brisbane...Clubhouse.html

Steve.
Old 14-01-11, 12:06
Bluebell

Default Steve

Nigel has posted them in a separate thread.
Cheers.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....