MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 17-08-13, 00:38

Question 30cal. 1919 or parts to build one non functional

I know it's a stretch but have to ask.
I was in the states and there were so many good examples of replicas as well as de mil'd types but well you know jail food and my stomach are not compatable.
So if there are variuos parts that I can aquire to build a decent example to mount on my 1953 M38A1 Jeep with Z arm that would be well unrealisticlly awsome!
No need for a barrel, a steel rod would work as long as the end of the cooling sleeve was there....?

thanks Casey
Old 17-08-13, 01:13

Try an airsoft GPMG.
Old 17-08-13, 01:20
carrier mech

Welcome to the inane Canadian firearms system Casey. To be legal, you will require that the receiver be an original M1919 receiver. It could be debated that the receiver in this case is the right sideplate, or it could be the entire assembly of the trunnion, right and left sideplates, top plate and bottom plate. And when you have those (or arguably the right sideplate) and they are not yet permanently welded or altered you are in possession of a unregistered prohibited firearm.

If you don't have an original receiver, then it's a replica. And to make a replica in Canada....well it's prohibited. And if you do manage to get a replica, then you have to transport it as if it were a restricted gun, and store it as if it is a restricted gun.

Only option is to find either a deactivated M1919 or even a live or converted auto M1919 and get the legal owner to deliver it to a licensed gunsmith who does deactivation. Expect to pay (minimum) in the neighborhood of $3000 plus for an example. And that will be without any accessories.

There are some non-restricted semi auto M1919s kicking around Canada (lucky me...I have one) But the price on those has reached about the same or more than the Jeep is worth. There are a bunch of M37s (a tank version of the M1919) currently being imported into Canada by a very slow boat. Expected retail on those is currently at $5200.

Good luck in your search.
Old 17-08-13, 01:58
Tony VAN RHODA

Default I have one

HI Casey

I was able to acquire a genuine .30 body minus the barrel. Photo one. It had been buried for many years and once I had it sandblasted you could make out the serial numbers. Photo two. I had my lawyer take it up with our state police firearms branch and they gave me an answer in writing that as there were no moving parts or genuine barrel I could display it on my Jeep at any time without a permit. Photo three. I later contacted the Firearms branch regarding converting it to gas firing and I was advised as it could not actually fire a projectile I did not need to register it or need a permit. Photo four. This makes things much easier when involved in any re enactment shows.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02515.jpg (29.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02510.jpg (55.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02570.jpg (92.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03120.jpg (59.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 17-08-13, 02:30
that halftrack guy

Robs right on. I hunted for years a deact 50 bmg. It took me almost 3 years and im about $3500 into it. That's cheap Im told, but hey whats a halftrack without a 50? They dont look right without one
Old 17-08-13, 03:00
carrier mech

Tony: Very nice....a Colt. That name always commands a premium whether it is on a M1919 or on a 50 cal. Even on an AR15 it still commands top money for that class of gun.

Andrew's experience finding a 50 cal sounds like he is in exactly the right ballpark price wise. Fiftys are actually easier to find at present than are M1919s here in Canada. They can usually be had by a simple phone call.....not so for the M1919.

Harry's advise about the airsoft is also a good one. Just make sure the airsoft shoots a projectile above 366 feet per second, otherwise it is technically a replica. At that threshold and higher, it is a non-controlled firearm (no license or registration) as long as the pellet does not exceed 500 fps AND has 5.7 joules of force...whatever that is..
Old 17-08-13, 04:40
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Tony: Very nice....a Colt. That name always commands a premium whether it is on a M1919 or on a 50 cal. Even on an AR15 it still commands top money for that class of gun.

Andrew's experience finding a 50 cal sounds like he is in exactly the right ballpark price wise. Fiftys are actually easier to find at present than are M1919s here in Canada. They can usually be had by a simple phone call.....not so for the M1919.

Harry's advise about the airsoft is also a good one. Just make sure the airsoft shoots a projectile above 366 feet per second, otherwise it is technically a replica. At that threshold and higher, it is a non-controlled firearm (no license or registration) as long as the pellet does not exceed 500 fps AND has 5.7 joules of force...whatever that is..
And just as single shot conversions of full auto's were prohibited in 1993, if 'airsoft' catches on (and they make some fine reproductions of historic firearms) I can see new legislation on the horizon.

BTW there's a guy selling a dewat 50 cal M2HB, tripod and T&E for $5000. Not sold yet...