MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 27-08-05, 17:29
Vets Dottir

Default ANIMALS and CREEPY CRAWLIES around us.

Hi Folks,

I wanted to create this whole new thread where we can talk about animals and creepy crawlies we have to share our own local environments with ... this should have some great stories in here too

I'll start with the raccoons first ... I know you Aussies have spiders and snakes ... and Roos (no offence MrRoo ) and Patrick has scorpions in a big city in the US of A ...

I'll have to get back to this because Master Sunray is giving me dirty looks and wants on HIS computer

Karmen
Old 27-08-05, 18:14
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Spiders and furriners with guns (luckily the latter most often use them on each other)...
Old 28-08-05, 00:45
RIP

Default Computers

Hey Spin Ball
Get your own computer and leave Kartmann to her postings.
Bob
Old 28-08-05, 01:42
RIP

Default Creepy crawly animals!!

Here in Eastern Canada we have this species of animal called Golden Retriever.Talk about creepy/crawley!!Just the sound of a beer cap letting out the gas,as it's opened causes this species to crawl creepily from it's sleeping place just to get a lick at the lip of an open bottle.Shhh!! The Shad is having his siesta. I have to use a towel to get the bottle cap off while he's napping.Boy,talk about wild Canadian animals.Now where the h-ll did I put the damn towel??
Old 28-08-05, 01:54
M38A1 CDN3

I should think that Canadians hate (and dread) mosquitoes which are now the No 1 source of West Nile virus. It's now dangerous to run around naked in the woods. Wonder how the nudists cope? Black flies, deer flies and midges are also a pestilence.

Next in line, for contemptible regard, I would suggest raccoons, groundhogs, squirrels and skunks. I readily and regularly shoot these creatures on an almost daily basis.

Next I offer crows and blue jays for extermination. What?...the colourful blue jay...well a jay is simply a gaily tinted crow, and as such are carriers of the West Nile virus, upon which the Culex variety of mossie feeds and passes on to humans.

(A recent study claims that the common robin carries up to 15% more potential for carrying the West Nile virus than the crow family).

Whilst driving, especially at night, deer, moose and elk are a particular road hazard. Contact with one of these pretty well assures your vehicle's write-off.

Most drivers around here, and further north, have deer horns attached to the front of their vehicles. These devices emit a supersonic signal which either chases subject critters away, or makes them pause before crossing a road.

Even though this way off topic for the purposes of this Forum, let's hear of some other countries feared denizens (other than what we see on History or Bravo channel).
Old 28-08-05, 03:59
Vets Dottir

Jon,

For starters, thank you for taking this thread seriously, because I do. We all live in different places,environments, countries, and the critters world is part of them all ... different critters, different perks and problems, up to and including the potential for tragedy and epidemics. What have you got in your area???

You mention the mosquito, a nasty bloodsucker that these days is a carrier of, and injects West Nile, while it steals blood (and leaves huge welts on me that take forever to heal) and Manitoba has an especially tough problem (always) with them ... they grow bigger there than anywhere else, and there are more of them ... Manitoba is known for it's mosquitoes ... going back to settling days ... they've always been a problem, therefore must have been a problem before the province was settled as well. I hate them!!! I think there have been 26 cases of West Nile from Mosquitoes in Manitoba so far. (I'd have to check on those figures though) Mosquitos have ALWAYS been a big problem there.

I find it hard to imagine you running naked through your little woods ther Master Skagman ... but when I do, i find that image "unforgettable" (hard to shoot a mosquito isn't it?)

Karmen
Old 28-08-05, 04:02
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Creepy crawly animals!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Here in Eastern Canada we have this species of animal called Golden Retriever.Talk about creepy/crawley!!Just the sound of a beer cap letting out the gas,as it's opened causes this species to crawl creepily from it's sleeping place just to get a lick at the lip of an open bottle.Shhh!! The Shad is having his siesta. I have to use a towel to get the bottle cap off while he's napping.Boy,talk about wild Canadian animals.Now where the h-ll did I put the damn towel??
: Garry, garry, garry, ... now you behave yourself and tell me when Shadster is ready to go on the wagon, I hate beer breath :
Old 28-08-05, 04:49
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Do you REALLY want to know about our creepy crawlies?

There are some existing threads of course...

Like this one.

And this one too.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 28-08-05, 05:01
Vets Dottir

Default oi oi oi

Oh Keefy, you DO like to live dangerously don't you? To post pictures of that certain creepy crawly shall give the admin nightmares and DO remember who hold the GREAT KEY OF DELETE, as our verra own Master R. likes to call him ...

tssk tsk tsk ... pity ... Keefy was such a fun MLU family member until he chose to give nightmares to our verra beloved Master Sunray We shall miss you much you OZ-manian you.

Anticipatorily Bereaving Ma
Old 28-08-05, 08:56

Well I have a snake that lives in my compost bin up on the back fence, a harmless white collared dwarf snake, but worse for me are the red back spiders. They would have to be the most numerus around Gympie. I have to have the inside and outside of the house sprayed on a regular basis for these pests.

But worst of all are all the two legged human mongrels who abound around the place to rip the inoccent and unweary off including the real offal who prey on children. IMHO I believe we should still have gallows for the latter and used once found guilty with no appeals.

cheers
Cliff
Old 28-08-05, 09:10
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff
But worst of all are all the two legged human mongrels who abound around the place to rip the inoccent and unweary off including the real offal who prey on children. IMHO I believe we should still have gallows for the latter and used once found guilty with no appeals.

cheers
Cliff [/B]
That species seems to have spread worldwide Cliff, and I agree wholeheartedly with your solution! Hanging, drawing and quartering should be brought back as a public entertainment..........

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 28-08-05, 10:42
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: oi oi oi

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Oh Keefy, you DO like to live dangerously don't you? To post pictures of that certain creepy crawly shall give the admin nightmares and DO remember who hold the GREAT KEY OF DELETE, as our verra own Master R. likes to call him ...

tssk tsk tsk ... pity ... Keefy was such a fun MLU family member until he chose to give nightmares to our verra beloved Master Sunray We shall miss you much you OZ-manian you.

Anticipatorily Bereaving Ma

But but but but... these were posted a loooonnnggggg time ago. Perhaps you just never got over them.

When are you coming to visit?

Cliff, I heartily agree. Can't they be used on the ranges too? They can play tank commander just as a gun lines them up. Those people have been described as "rock spiders" which is doing our aracnhids a great disservice.

Source.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 28-08-05, 12:02

There are slithering serpents found across this vast land of ours.Pockets of which can be found in every prov. and terr.
The main nest for these serpents is found in Ottawa .From there they strike at and coil themselves around your wallet.
They hang on,with a grin,until they bleed you dry.
Old 28-08-05, 13:50
RIP

Default Mosquitos

Hi All
You reckon you have problems with mosquitos. Check this bugger out. No flyspay for this one, only napalm.
Bob
Attached Images

Old 30-08-05, 04:36
Derek Heuring

Default Re: ANIMALS and CREEPY CRAWLIES around us.

Quote:
Hi Folks,

I wanted to create this whole new thread where we can talk about animals and creepy crawlies we have to share our own local environments with ... this should have some great stories in here too

Karmen
Hmm, where to begin? Texas is uniquely supportive of several annoying and/or dangerous species, several of which I have become all too acquainted with. Allow me to expand:

First, Insects:

Here in Texas we are blessed? with the omnipresent Fire Ant, a delightful little creature who's sting belies it's size. Very appropriately named! We also have Scorpions, Ticks, Africanized Bees, Chiggers, Tarantulas. Brown Recluse, and Black Widows as well as Mosquitoes carrying West Nile, a nasty lttle virus I recently recovered from! These are just the more common, annoying insects.

Secondly, Snakes:

Within two weeks of moving into our new home, I had to chase a very large Water Mocassin out of my garage, we also have Copperheads, Coral, and Rattlesnakes. These are just the venomous snakes I've listed.

Armadillos. What could be dangerous about these quaint little throwbacks? They just happen to carry Human Leprosy, that's all!

And in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico, we have stinging jellyfish, including Portugese Man o' War and several species of Shark.

These are just a few of Nature's delightful little inhabitants in these here parts. In fact I understand that Texas is only to be outdone by Australia for annoying Varmints!
Old 30-08-05, 05:24

Default Critters

Being close to Texas Im familiar with most of these critters
cept maybe the ocean kritters.Arizona has most of these
I might add to the list 17 verisions of the rattlesnake,
107 verisions of the scorpion the gila monster a 2 ft
long tubby lizard ,that carries a nerve toxin for venmon.
The coti mundy which is a real pest and the latest
addition to the list the rocky mountain timber wolf
Patrick
P.S. oh yeah we have all the two legged types too.
Old 30-08-05, 06:26
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: ANIMALS and CREEPY CRAWLIES around us.

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740

Here in Texas we are blessed? with the omnipresent Fire Ant, a delightful little creature who's sting belies it's size. Very appropriately named!
Perhaps it's something to do with the Central Time Zone that Manitoba and Texas shares that has us sharing "RED ANTS = FIRE ANTS" ... I still hate them to pieces ... seriously ... !!!

(I'm glad you recovered from that West Nile ... but sorry you got it to begin with )

Amazing creepy-creatures you raise down there .... My youngest daughter's father was a Texan , as were his father and mother before him ... again ....

Quote:
These are just a few of Nature's delightful little inhabitants in these here parts. In fact I understand that Texas is only to be outdone by Australia for annoying varmints
Annoying varmints? SHAME ON YOU MASTER SAPPER740 ... that'sa nottta verra nice-a to call our Aussie friends varmints!!!!
Old 08-09-05, 00:05
Vets Dottir

Default What's up with these bears?

Ouch ... here is another fatal bear attck ... this time in Ontario! Scarey to go camping or even walking in bear areas now if they're being so aggressive. Ouch again

Quote:
39 minutes ago

TORONTO (Reuters) - Canadian police and wildlife officials were searching for a wounded black bear in a northern Ontario park on Wednesday after it killed a woman and seriously injured her husband as he tried to defend her.
ADVERTISEMENT

Jacqueline Perry and Marc Jordan, both 30, were mauled on Tuesday while camping in remote Missinaibi Lake Provincial Park, about 800 km (500 miles) northwest of Toronto, Ontario Provincial Police said.

Perry, a family doctor from Cambridge, Ontario, died as a result of the bear attack. Jordan suffered nonlife-threatening lacerations to his legs and right hand when he tried to fight the bear off, said police Const. Karen Farand.

"He managed to stab the bear a few times with a Swiss army knife," Farand said.

Two men also had an encounter with a bear in the area about 45 minutes before the fatal attack but were able to fend it off.

Ontario is home to about 90,000 black bears, though attacks on humans are unusual.

It was the first fatal bear attack in the province in 13 years, said Jolanta Kowalski, an Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources spokeswoman.

"I can't stress how rare this is," she said.

There have been seven bear attacks in Canada in recent months, two of them fatal.
Old 08-09-05, 00:57

Default Re: Re: Re: ANIMALS and CREEPY CRAWLIES around us.

Quote:

Annoying varmints? SHAME ON YOU MASTER SAPPER740 ... that'sa nottta verra nice-a to call our Aussie friends varmints!!!! [/B]
Hey you missed the Feral bit! you should have said

'FERAL VARMINTS'

cheers
Cliff

PS> time to don the hard hat again before Vets
Old 08-09-05, 01:18

Thumbs down MODERATOR'S NOTICE

There will be NO talking about spiders in this thread else I'll throw cats at the offender.
Old 08-09-05, 01:22
RIP

Default Creepy Crawleys !!

Karmen ,mi amore,getting back to the subject that you never answered,what kind of creepy crawley is golden, has long ears,a big black nose and gives you that big sad look?sneaks up on people,then!!Get this,licks you??AS a matter of fact he's coming at me now!!!Back off dog ,I'm typing on the computtt-----eer
:dh:
Old 08-09-05, 01:27

Default S------ I didnt say it

Someone doesnt like ------- they dont eat much,and
good protein too!
Patrick
Old 08-09-05, 01:45
RIP

Default Hey GWB !!

Did you ever try to throw a Golden Retriever while thy're licking your face??Good luck buddy!!
Old 08-09-05, 02:20

Default Re: Hey GWB !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Did you ever try to throw a Golden Retriever while thy're licking your face??Good luck buddy!!
MY goldens weighed almost as much as I do... each...
Old 08-09-05, 02:22

Default Re: S------ I didnt say it

Quote:
Originally posted by Ponysoldier
Someone doesnt like ------- they dont eat much,and
good protein too!
Patrick
Patrick, that will be absolutely enough out of you!
Old 08-09-05, 02:56
RIP

Default Re: Re: Hey GWB !!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
MY goldens weighed almost as much as I do... each... [Tell me about it.The big guy saw I was eating pizza for supper tonite.Talk about fending off an aanimal who loves pizza crust.Get off my lap,you overgrown floppy eared varmit,as he extends his paw!!
Old 08-09-05, 03:29

LOL I have a black labrador carer dog called princess who just loves food. It is getting to the stage that I have to lock myself into my modeling room when I wanna eat some muncies (Timtams, chippies etc) so I do accually get to eat my share.

cheers
Cliff

PS> Geoff you would not like my place as we have big (bread & butter plate size) Sp****s that we keep as pets inside. They are called huntsmen and they keep the house clear of other insects.

Old 08-09-05, 07:30
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Huntsmen

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff
[B
PS> Geoff you would not like my place as we have big (bread & butter plate size) Sp****s that we keep as pets inside. They are called huntsmen and they keep the house clear of other insects.
[/B]
The most fun you can have with a huntsman is when you're in the middle of your shower and you note one on the ceiling just above your head and you know you'll have to walk under it's steam-weakened legs to exit the shower.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 08-09-05, 08:15

patrick
Old 08-09-05, 12:43

Default Re: Huntsmen

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
The most fun you can have with a huntsman is when you're in the middle of your shower and you note one on the ceiling just above your head and you know you'll have to walk under it's steam-weakened legs to exit the shower.
Ok, THAT fixes it... remind me NEVER to emigrate to your part of the world...