Notices

Old 10-08-06, 00:16
Vets Dottir

Default Peacekeeping Day today!

Quote:
http://www.cavunp.org/pkday.html

Peacekeeping Day
Why 9 August?
Peacekeeping Day was created to recognize the service of Canadians in far-away places in the service of peace. Since 1948, members of Canada's Armed Forces and Diplomatic service have served on peacekeeping missions around the world. Additionally, since 1992, members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, provincial and municipal police forces have served in Peace Support missions around the world. It was to recognize the service of Canadians past, present and in the future that Peacekeeping Day was created.

9 August was chosen because on that date in 1974 the greatest single loss of Canadian lives on a peacekeeping mission occurred. Nine Canadian peacekeepers serving with the United Nations Emergency Force in Egypt and Israel, were flying in a Canadian Forces "Buffalo" transport aircraft on UN service which was shot down by Syrian air defence missiles while preparing to land at Damascus, Syria on a regular resupply mission. There were no survivors.

Canada's first casualty on a peacekeeping mission occurred in 1951 when Acting-Brigadier HH Angle of Kamloops, BC died in a plane crash in Kashmir on the border between India and Pakistan. Since then, 114 members of the Canadian Armed Forces and one member of Canada's diplomatic service have died in far-off lands in the service of peace. The spouse and mother of the deceased receive the Memorial Cross, a gesture of commemoration from the Government of Canada begun in 1919 for casualties of WW1 and continued for casualties of WW 2, the Korea conflict and for casualties on peacekeeping missions.

On this day, we recognize the families of our peacekeepers who keep up the morale of our peacekeepers with cards and letters, parcels and gifts. They play a central part too helping their spouses to adjust to the peace and tranquility of their home and country when they return.

We also recognize and thank other Canadians who have given freely of their time to support our Peacekeepers abroad. In particular are the ham radio operators who nightly have connected to the military ham radio operators calling from the missions and linked the peacekeepers to their families back in Canada. This most valuable service, always given freely, has been a strong element in maintaining family morale. We also thank the families that knit the "Izzy Dolls", small dolls given to the children whom Canadian peacekeepers meet as they patrol their assigned areas. Created by his family in memory of Master Corporal Mark Isfeld who died in 1994 while serving in the former Yugoslavia, the dolls have brought much pleasure to children in many countries suffering the ravages of brutal conflict.

Peacekeeping Day, 9 August is about recognition and commemoration; of peacekeepers past, present and yet to come and their families; recognition and thanks to those who help make the peacekeeping duty less arduous; and remembering our fallen comrades who have died in the service of peace.
Old 11-08-06, 04:17
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Peacekeeping Day today!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir

Thank you for the kind words of remembrance for Peace Keeper's Day Karmen. I was in the Golan Heights for the 25th anniversary of UNDOF and wrote a brief history of the United Nations' mission there for a commemorative magazine that was printed for the occasion. Well I remember writing of the poor souls killed that day. I brought back a set of CCUNDOF 25th Anniversary shot glasses and a couple of bottles of Arak. I toast our fallen comrades on special occasions such as today.

CHIMO!
Old 11-08-06, 04:41
Vets Dottir

Ah .... I did NOT write the article, BUT a whole bunch of thoughts and feelings were running through me about Peacekeepers, and what they did/do and the sacrifices and all ... I didn't know about "Peacekeepers Day" until I read that article about it ... and didn't know what to say out of all that was running through my mind, so I simply saluted

I'm very surprized no one (until you) replied to it, or that no one else started a thread about this, and even looked for one before I posted. I wondered, IS there something I don't "get" (because no one else said anything so I questioned, was it correct and appropriate for me to post about this day? What don't I understand? (this makes me want to read more and know more

Mark Tonner ... you've been in my mind much since the reading, then the posting, of that article, knowing a little of your own military history and service and having commuinicated with you for so long since joining MLU, and for your service in particular. I send a "personal to you" from me.

To ALL of you Peacekeepers ... here is another special from me to you all.

And this ... especially about and for our Fallen Peacekeepers ...

Karmen.
Old 11-08-06, 05:02
RIP

I am sorry to hear that the current unpleasantness in A'stan is being considered part of Canada's peacekeeping. It is anything but.
Unlike other peacekeeping missions this one is not under UN auspices. It is an armed conflict, with Canadian soldiers knowingly, willingly and professionally going into harm's way in order to seek out and destroy the enemy.
Let us remember our peacekeepers as they are well-deserving of that recognition, but let's not downplay the current conflict in Afghanistan, rather let's include this mission with those of Korea and the two wars.
Old 11-08-06, 08:57
Vets Dottir

Sounds like great ideas Clive

Karmen.
Old 11-08-06, 18:26

Default Thanks Ma!

Hey Karmen

Thanks for letting us know on the other side of the globe about "Peacekeeping Day" in Canada.

It's not something that I was aware of, but what a marvelous idea to remember and commemorate the fantastic service of the men and women, whom give their time in the pursuit of peace, happiness and freedom.

There isn't a day like that recognised here in Australia - except maybe for reserve forces day and legacy day, but they just aren't really the same thing.

I think that the Government of my country would be too scared to have something of a similar ilk as they would be affraid that recognition of this sort of service, may leave them open to litigation and a string of compensation claims. This seems to be the common practice for anything wholesome and nice in this country.

Australia has become all the bad things from America - Liablility, Litigation, Compensation, Bad Television shows, Bogus free-trade agreements. My countries current Government are nothing more than America's tart. And what's worse is I voted for them.

Anywho,.......HERE'S TO PEACEKEEPERS DAY.

Pedr
Attached Thumbnails
aussie gorge.jpg  
Old 11-08-06, 19:06
Vets Dottir

Thanks and You're Welcome Pedr ... and it's too sad that you folks don't have a special day there as well

And ... oh my lord, IF that is a view you get to see where you live then I positively ENVY YOU! Talk about GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! Those colours are amazing. Nature's creations always astounds me

Ma