MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 04-03-12, 06:17
RIP

Default New patch in A'stan

Here's a brand new small unit patch being worn in Afghanistan.

The horse-head represents the name (Black Horse) of the base camp in Kabul. The number is for Number 2 Platoon and the red triangle is that used by "Gulf" Company of the 2nd Bn, The RCR. The patches were manufactured overseas and were procured through Penny's of Thunder Bay.

This is the prototype and the production badges - limited to 35 - do not have the bridle. This patch was commissioned by the platoon commander for distribution to his platoon upon arrival in Afghanistan. That event occurred today. Their role is to be the protective force for all movement between the three camps in the Kabul area.

How do I know all this you ask? The Platoon Commander is my son, Lt Richard Law.
Old 04-03-12, 23:17
Rick Cove

Excellent Clive. Well done to your son. (and his unit).
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 04-03-12, 23:43
Mr. HUP

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Here's a brand new small unit patch being worn in Afghanistan...The number is for Number 2 Platoon and the red triangle is that used by "Gulf" Company of the 2nd Bn, The RCR... Platoon Commander is my son, Lt Richard Law.
Clive,

Gulf? I'm sure Law the Younger will sort you out (it is Golf Coy). Good that you included the "The" in the regimental name.

Exciting time still to be a Soldier of the Queen. Richard may cross paths with my brother at Kabul (can't be too many with my last name running around there).

Godspeed to all Cdn and allied troops in A'stan.
Old 27-03-12, 10:31
AKA Richard Law

Dad, OPSEC!

And your colleagues are right about Golf company.

As for the triangle, in The RCR regimental standing orders every first company is denoted by a triangle, red happens to be the colour identifier for G Coy, 2 RCR. Although the Coy structure no longer exist for the deployment, we chose to keep our lineage with the triangle and colour, as we are one of the very few intact platoons who deployed on CCTM-A Roto 1.

On a side note, the badge pictured above was actually rejected. It was the prototype pattern. The final version does not have the harness on the horse's head.
Old 27-03-12, 17:32

One of those sure would look nice in your museum here in Gagetown, Right beside the ARID gear they wont give us....lol
Good Luck.
Jason
Old 28-03-12, 03:07

OPSEC.... now there's an understatement!

I think I now know far too much about Youg Law's unit, location, who its leader is, when they arrived, and what identifying patch to look for..... (and good luck to him, BTW....)

I remember flying out to Iraq via Kuwait from Sydney airport in 2008: the flight was not listed on the departures board, and all pers checked in and boarded with not a stitch of anything military to distinguish them from 'tourists'. All the movement docs were classified restricted etc etc... (and I was only going for a few weeks!)

Mike C
Old 28-03-12, 06:53
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Here's a brand new small unit patch being worn in Afghanistan.

The horse-head represents the name (Black Horse) of the base camp in Kabul. The number is for Number 2 Platoon and the red triangle is that used by "Gulf" Company of the 2nd Bn, The RCR. The patches were manufactured overseas and were procured through Penny's of Thunder Bay.

This is the prototype and the production badges - limited to 35 - do not have the bridle. This patch was commissioned by the platoon commander for distribution to his platoon upon arrival in Afghanistan. That event occurred today. Their role is to be the protective force for all movement between the three camps in the Kabul area.

How do I know all this you ask? The Platoon Commander is my son, Lt Richard Law.
Hmmm...patch bears a vague resemblance to the 7th Cavalry (Airmobile) stood up a la "We Were Soldiers Once...".

Let's hope there's no Ia Drang reaction from the bad guys.

Jus' sayin'.