MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 08-12-03, 06:00
Ian Cooper

Default M152

Does anyone have any information on the M152?
Specifically, what radios were carried, and a source of information on the layout in the back of the truck.
I have been told the RT 524 and the No. 19 set were carried at one time or the other.
Also, the same request for the M152 command version. I know that this truck had a B42 set and a R-106 set.
Old 08-12-03, 07:04
West Coaster

CMP,
They used to carry the 46 set, C42, 106, the air to ground set the number of which I can't remember, also had the SB22, SB86, 77, 125 and any other radio Canada used from 1954 to 1978.
Earlier I put a post up looking for a 152 and someone posted a terrific picture of the back with chair and radios. Was looking for it but I think Geoff might have deleted the string as it should've been in the wanted section.
Our reserve trucks carried a mixture of C42 and C46 sets with SB22s.
There is a wrecker's yard near Edmonton with 5 M152s in it. One of them is a sleeper, one has been roof raised and camperized... this almost looked as if it was a local military modification but I couldn't be sure and the rest are basic shells only one of which has all 4 wheels.
The pic below is of my new (to me) M152. Deal went through this weekend.

Cheers
JD
Attached Images

Old 06-01-04, 07:44
M38A1 CDN3

Default MUTTs

JD:

Hi

MUTTs had both C42 and AN/VRC-12 family sets installed. It was a transitional period...both between the radio sets in use, and the vehicle Radio Adapter Kits (RAKs) versus the Installation Kit Electronic Equipment (IKEEs). RAKs were for the RS C42/45s, IKEEs were for AN/VRC type equipment.

It was confusing for the operator in that the C42/45s used noise squelch, and the VRC types used tone squelch. VRC type radios had the facility to operate on both these modes; C42/45s could only operate on noise squelch.

Missing Yappy?...so am I.
Old 06-01-04, 08:15
M38A1 CDN3

Default JD's new M152

Well, congrats!

Nice looking piece of kit.

Missing a few items, looking at the right hand side...how about the ATU frame for the C42 set...the rack for the Johnson 300W charger...the fording equipment...pioneer tool rack...

WRT radio equipment, notwithstanding any posts which may precede this one...

Typical Reserve installation was with the so-called Survival Box which was a self-contained unit containing all the componentry required to put the station on the air. This was early 60s, in M152s.

Finally, someone smartened up and issued RAKs so that major radio items could be secured in situ within the vehicles.

These were RS C42s, using J1 and J2 boxes, depending on mission...RRB was very common in the 60s...typical range was only about 15 miles on High Power, therefore RRB was a desirable feature.

Looking in the back door, the charging panel and banks of BB46 85 AHC batteries were located on the right side. Left side usually had storage bins and perhaps another radio, depending on role, located near the bulkhead door. The bulkhead door, while usually fully accessible in Reserve modes, was pretty well blocked off by the installation of a table arrangement for the station's radios.

ATUs were mounted either on front fender or left rear.

BTW, there is an MLU link to the back door shot of an M152...but I'm geting no joy in pulling it up.
Old 06-01-04, 08:19
M38A1 CDN3

Default Oooops...sorry

Sorry, guys...I babbled on about M151s when the thread was M152s.

Mea culpa, from the Rivers of Babble-on.
Old 06-01-04, 18:19
West Coaster

Default 15?

Jon,
Kinda figured that one out along the way.... but it was a fun read and challenged my memories about how we had our vans set up. For what ever reason I remember the charging panels to the left and the BB46s on left also but under the table forward. We would get way better than 15 miles out of a C42 and a wac better than that out of a rebro well sited (we also had the benifit of one of the best antenna men in the CF at the time). I thought the table a silly way to mount radios and could never figure out why stacking racks (which came along MANY years later) were'nt locally produced. Having the connecting door blocked off was always a pain too. It was potentially one of the best features of that design... you could get out of the box two ways in case of fire. The next tragic generation of van had only one door and no hatch. When I look at pictures of CMP radio vans that you guys are posting, I can't for the life of me figure out why Canada even bought the Dodge vans (I do know that NA standardization was an issue). But the CMP rad van design looks to me a WAY lot better layout and work space for the field.

I know my van is missing some of the things you mentioned, but I think that this truck never made it to active use from national reserve stocks. It is too basic. Even the exhaust doesn't rise up the passenger's side and never did on this truck. It only has 7K original miles on it and most of those were put on by the first purchaser with whom I've been able to speak with. The AMU mount is on the right rear as I remember them being and there is no holes left over from the right front/above cab AMU mount or the mast support pipe. Also, thankfully, this truck never had the roof racks added so no BIG holes in side of cab.

I've seen the MLU pic you refer to and have asked my old compadres to check for pics they may have in their collections. With our E-lectronic imaging these days these pics rarely have to leave the owner.
Not sure which way the truck will go at this point .. full kitting to mil spec as a museum piece or put a diesel and winch on it and use the truck in my travels. ?? For now Lisa and I are lubing and conducting small repairs to make it road safe. Am also having the thrill of driver training Lisa on the truck at the same time. There is no major rust just surface and she was at one time udercoated. Lots to do before ever having to decide on final disposition. Can see myself as an 80 year old still hauling this truck out to go grocery shopping. Whee.

Cheers
JD
Old 06-01-04, 18:36
West Coaster

Default Oh PS

Miss Yappy:

I too would rather she rejoin this forum and heckle the BZs out of all of us.

JD
Old 07-01-04, 04:25
GM Fox I

Default Quitcherwhining....

Here it is again. Oh and Jon, did you mention 52 sets being carried in M152's? Surely you remeber 52 sets?
Attached Thumbnails
m152 interior.jpg  
Old 07-01-04, 05:14
West Coaster

Bruce,
I see again the batteries to the right, but can't make out charging panel. Do you have more pics like this?

JD
Old 03-02-04, 21:02

Default M152 Radio Installation Manuals

I have photocopies of "INSTL/INSTN 15 PU/3 dated March 1957 for installation of the #19 set in an M152 . 2 photos, many line drawings, 31 single sided pages, also sell the 34' and 20' antennae masts shown in the instructions.

Also have photocopy of manual 7610-21-102-2439 dated 1960 detailing the C42/52 installation in an M152. 45 double sided pages.

Trades ?

Robert in Toronto
Old 04-02-04, 01:51
West Coaster

Robert,
Hoo Ah! Whadaya want? I'll E you off forum.

Rgds
JD
Old 08-02-04, 15:58
Old Sigs Type

My first radio detachment (in 8th Sigs Regt in early 60s) was a C42/52 setup. If I recall correctly, the C42 was mounted on the left side and the 52 on the right. The ATU for the C42 was mounted on the left front fender and the Johnson Chorehorse on the right front fender. I had a battery bank (2 btys) of BB46s on the floor below the C42 and against the cab wall. I also had a dual battery bank on top of the Southwind heater box (against the cab wall). My charging panel was mounted on the right wall, above the table and close to the cab wall. The whip antenna mount for the 52 was to the right of the rear door. In addition, I carried a 20' and a 30' mast kit in the det.

Ahhhh... the memories.
Old 06-03-04, 01:35

Default Victoria resident JD Baillie

I suggest that you join Western Command which is the club for BC.

www.westerncommand.com

I suggest that you consider coming out to Fort Rodd Hill for the May long weekend reenactor weekend.

If you choose to paint your M152CDN in the camo paint scheme (c. 1970 until they were released surplus) let me know as I have the painting instructions.
Old 06-03-04, 03:45
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Charging the 52 set..

JD
Maybe these pix will help..These were in the C15 at VIMY...
There are three photos cropped together
Attached Thumbnails
c15wire.jpg  
Old 06-03-04, 04:18
West Coaster

Hi Alex,
Thank you for these pics. Moment of ignorance... do you mean this truck is/was at Vimy Barracks in Kingston? The equipment looks as if it has never been used. But as black and whites, how old are they?

JD
Old 06-03-04, 08:56

Default Vimy House, Canadian War Museum, Ottawa

C15A Wireless is at Vimy House, Canadian War Museum in Ottawa, not Vimy Barracks in Kingston.

C15A layout will differ from M152CDN layout though there will be some similarities as 19 Set for example was fitted in both types.
Old 06-03-04, 14:12
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Colour...........

JD..I took these a couple of years ago..I cropped out the one you need ,in colour..Colin is right..Vimy House ..Ottawa...Note the use of Buss Bars..Especially the one that runs around the trailer and under the radio table...
Attached Images

Old 26-01-06, 17:07

Default m152

Hi ,

I want to know where did you get all this equipment (inside of the truck and what's all for ???). I have a m152 too and I'm in the process of restoring it. And I need information and parts for it.
Old 28-01-06, 16:48
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Misztal
Ahhhh... the memories.
Frank, I clicked on your link to the Canadian Peacekeepers website and was pleased and surprised to see that all the pics posted for OP DANACA were from my Roto! It was great to see familiar faces from my time there..brought back many good memories. In fact, I recognize some of the photos as mine. I was the equipment manager for the photo club while there and we used our sole digital camera to put together a CD for every member of CanCon.
I personally have over 1,000 prints from Israel, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Egypt as well as many hours of video from my deployment. (most of the shots and video of Syria were taken covertly...sshhh!) Seeing your link motivated me to dust them off and revisit them.
By the way, the Sig's Pigs always had the best patios!

Ahhhh... the memories.

CHIMO!
Old 22-08-07, 18:44

Hi folks,
Say, where would I find info on wiring and machanicals for the 152 ?
It looks similar to the M37s, but there are bizarre fans/blowers in the cab plus wiring harnesses that go no-where.

Thanks.
Derek
Old 23-08-07, 03:19
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default m152 manual

I think the manual you probably want is CDN-VEH-D114.
Alex Blair sells them. There is a part number only manual too but I can't remember the number. The truck is based on a M37 so most mechanical parts are interchangeable. Just be careful when sourcing engine and drivetrain stuff as the Canuck version is different than the Yank version.
Old 23-08-07, 03:52

Hey Bruce,
Thanks for the lead.

I think I'm going to also stop by a place up the road as a gentleman has a 152 in his driveway. It appears to be complete.

I'll ask him whether he'd mind if I take digital photos of the truck.

Then I'll be able to compare.

Once I get them, I'll post them as well.

Thanks so much !
Derek
Old 24-08-07, 01:55

Default M152Cdn.

Derek,

I own one of the beasts and live just west of you in Toronto.

Send me a PM with any questions that you might have and don't forget that the members of the Ferret Club located at the Ontario Regiment Museum on the soth side of the Oshawa Airport are also a GREAT resource to contact. I believe that their club President, Frank Moore, did buy an M152 to restore about two years ago but I don't know what, if any, work has been done to it yet.

Certainly a group worth joining. Several of the M37 "family" have passed thru there over the years.

Robert in Toronto
Old 24-08-07, 02:54

Hey Robert !!

I do have one quick question now that you ask.

This one has the exhaust pipe running just under the passenger side front fender ??

Where did it route from there, as the rest is missing ???

Thanks so much for the heads up, I will indeed visit the club by the airport.

Best regards,
Derek.
Old 24-08-07, 04:32
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

The manual gives good pictures of what goes where. On my M152 the exhaust pipe comes off the manifold and down the right side. The muffler is under the passenger side and the exhaust pipe comes out just behind the right door and goes vertical to above the cab height. see the picture.
Attached Images

Old 24-08-07, 14:07

Default M-152 Hi-stack exhaust

Bruce's photo has it covered but I'd suggest considering doing this exhaust system in stainless steel IF you intend to own the truck for many years. Yes, it costs more but with this hi-stack configuration I have found that regular pipes rust out very quickly. It is very dificult for any condensation water to drain out of the lowest pipe/muffler and rain frequently gets blown down that high curved top pipe (cover with a loosely fitting tin can when not driving). Some owners do drill some very small holes at the lowest point of the pipe and/or muffler but I have found this to be not very effective as rust/dirt/crud soon block the drainholes.

Also, if you intend to actually use the gasoline fired rear box heater mounted behind the passenger seat, please pay VERY careful attention to its exhaust line. Two friends were using an M-152 as a deer hunt basecamp and nearly died of carbon monoxide poisoning when they left that heater running on low setting, all night, with a rusted out exhaust pipe. I take a battery powered CO detector along on my truck camping expeditions, as a result.

Robert in Toronto
Old 25-08-07, 02:31

There is also another parts hulk in Whitby. It's pretty tough.

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 25-08-07, 06:25

Default Carbon Monoxide

I almost bought the farm that way. On a road move from Meaford back to Hamilton after Winter Ex I stole a lift in the back of a M37Cdn box amb figuring I had the cushiest ride in the convoy snoozing on a stretcher.
Toasty warm.
Had to use O2 and a whole lot of barfing to come out of that nap.

Lesson Learned
Old 25-08-07, 17:43

Thanks Guys,
fantastic Info !

Say Barry, would that parts hulk have Headlights / Indicator Lights ?
That would be the one thing mine is missing.

Where would I find the vehicle ?

Thanks again,
Derek
Old 26-08-07, 16:55

It's located 1/2 way between you and Whitby. I will not be able to check it out next week as Bob is on holidays but remind me and I will have a look the following week. I will also check in the barn today. Something tells me I have a couple of headlights.
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.