MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 29-11-16, 07:13

Default Door lettering C15A Cab 12

Bob Carriere asked about the door lettering on the truck.
It required gentle sanding to expose the first layer
Here it is, I'm not sure what it tells us
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
100_0511.jpg  
Old 29-11-16, 10:37
carrier mech

The visible markings are for 41 reserve Brigade Group. They are back on the books today as the 41 Canadian Brigade Group after being disbanded in the 40s. Here is some history from the current DND page:

Quote:
As Canada expanded into the West, and with the establishment of its new provinces, the need for a military presence and a command structure became apparent. In 1905, Military District No.13 was established with its headquarters in Calgary. This system remained in place until 1947. In December of 1941, because of Japan's entry into the Second World War, it was decided to organize a number of brigades for the defence of Canada. In February 1942, one brigade was organized for each of the eleven Military Districts. In Alberta, it was 41st (Reserve) Brigade Group in Calgary. The wartime reserve brigades were allotted full-time commanders and their staff. Soldiers in these brigades were not eligible for service with the Active Force. This included persons between ages 17 and 19 and over age 35, those with a lower medical category and members of the Canadian Officers Training Corps until graduation. These brigades were stood down in 1945.
The Z is the marking for a Lorry, and the DND number is of the second type adopted around the beginning of 1943. That numbering system began at 50-000 and went up from there, so yours is quite low. However, most likely your truck will have an earlier type of numbering underneath that in the form of 42-1-1234. I also see the remnants of another unit marking underneath the current one, but I don't know if there is enough visible to deduce what unit it is.

Interesting in that it appears to have a very red base coat underneath the lettering.

Last edited by rob love; 29-11-16 at 19:09.
Old 29-11-16, 17:22

Thanks for the info. I may go gently sand some more paint to get to the next layer. When I painted the truck I masked around the door lettering and left it
alone as it is unique to that truck
Old 29-11-16, 19:19
carrier mech

It is possible that the earlier markings are 4SR, which would be 4th Survey Regiment, although in all honesty I don't know where they were located prior to going overseas.
Old 30-11-16, 00:55

Default What about the other door???

Hi Terry

Are any more clues from the other door??

There maybe other earlier numbers under the 50 digit of the bottom line...... careful sanding and trying different lighting angle may reveal more info....

Picture was given to me by Rob Clarke from a militaria show. We assumed probably from St Jean QC early in the war. The early (no air vent 4x2) were from April to June 1940...... this one with wooden a box...... with no provision for back out head lights nor any rubber marker lights on the front fender.....all of which came out later. (my 40 cab 11 has no rubber marker lights on the fenders as well...and no rear axle light..... and never retro fitted later.

Lettering was bold with unusual abbreviation for Regiment de Chaudiere which was a machine gun unit. From what I have read on various sites it implies the 703rd truck recieved with no link to the truck serial number...... also never showed a "0" in front of the forst digit 7xx.

Curious absence of ANY coloerd unit marking or bridge plate....... again typical of early days.

The license plate is the infamous "F" plates. from Quebec....... never seen a real one and since the province of Quebec as no provision/program for registering an old plate as year of manufacture there is no market and no preservation of that old heritage.

I finally opted for a 1940 Ontario yellow shorty plate registered as Y of M with no limitations as to usage......
I plan on using the following.....
RCASC
Z
40-1-3851

......last digits happen to match my original metal registration tag in the truck. I have prepared Unit colors for the RCASC and the red/gold maple leaf of the 1 st Infantry.

Good luck with the sanding....

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
c15 cab11 1940doorart.jpg   C8 cab11 1940.jpg  
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 30-11-16 at 01:12.
Old 30-11-16, 05:37

I think the other door was virtually the same Bob. I will check though.
This was on the fender , perhaps used in the Calgary Stampede!! Ha Ha
Attached Thumbnails
100_0507.jpg