MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 31-07-15, 18:53

Default Stencils

I am looking for advice on the best way to paint stencils on a vertical surface. I have read about sponge or short haired brush application. Spraying is an option. I have good stick on masks for the doors but they are single use so I do not want to mess it up. Should the colour be white or off-white for 1969? What paint is best?
Thank you for any input,
Jack
Old 31-07-15, 20:29
carrier mech

Hands down the best paint is signpainters paint. It will run you about $40 a pint, but once you use it, you will ask yourself why you ever tried anything different.

I am no artist, but Clive at the museum does the stencilling for the museum. He uses a laundry pencil to mark the lettering, then paints them free hand. Don't skimp on the brush either. After a day, you can wash off the excess pencil marks.

I have also done it with the sponge when I was attached to the armoured corps. A little patience will go a long way. Don't try to do it all in a single coat.
Old 01-08-15, 00:21

Default Have you considered Micheals Arts and Crafts store...

They do carry stencilling supplies including the stiff short hair brushes for the job.... and the special thick paint paste.....there should be a few outlets in the GTA.

Your first ride in deep water should be hair raizing as the truck tends to float with a definite nose down attitude.... unless you carry cargo......

Of all the driving that Andre and I did with the truck we never got stuck and never had ANY mechanical problems.

I envy you!!!

Cheers
Canada
Old 01-08-15, 01:12

Thank you Rob & Bob,

I have used "One Shot" sign paint before & agree that it is very good. There is a Michael's store near me & I will check them out. They may even carry the sign painters' paint.

I have pictures of the trucks in the water & they definitely float nose down without the expected 3000 lb. load in the back.

Jack