MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 27-12-13, 17:50

Default Hagglund BV 206 A frame tow bar

Howdy all,

I am trying to find some or any pictures of the proper A frame towbar that connects to the front car of a BV206 and allows it to be towed without a driver.

I'm getting kind of desperate, can't find an image anywhere.

Can anyone help me please?

R

Last edited by Robin Craig; 14-02-14 at 23:56.
Old 28-12-13, 02:40
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post
Howdy all,

I am trying to find some or any pictures of the proper A frame towbar that connects to the front car of a BV206 and allows it to be towed without a driver.

I'm getting kind of desperate, cant find an image anywhere.

Can anyone help me please?

R

Hello Robin,

I found a catalogue with reference to "front tow point" http://www.army-uk.com/stock/stock/Searchforparts.pdf

Maybe if you contact the company who produce the catalogue they might be able to help you out? http://www.army-uk.com. From their sales site they seem to have quite a number of the vehicles in question available. I have no links to the company - especially since I live in Australia. The Hagglunds looks like a very capable vehicle.

Kind Regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Old 28-12-13, 11:28

Dear Lionel,

Close but no cigar I'm sad to report.

That company is actually a mirror company for L Jacksons in the UK. The giveaway is their location is shown in an aerial picture and described as "The Rocket Site".

It is funny that you pulled them up as it is one of their owners, Andrew Jackson, who got banged up in Jail after some shenanigans with HM Customs and Excise and some export paperwork and a few Hagglunds BV 206s!

Here is the link:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/8343267.stm

It is in fact his actions that have tightened things up considerably and many in the UK are reluctant to even consider sending a bolt with an NSN out of the country.

The part you found is the horns / towing point that bolts to the front differential and not the A bar itself.

Thanks for your efforts, but honestly I know who they are and how they deal with single item purchases.

And yes, the BV 206 is a very capable vehicle in the right hands but enables you to get planted miles off road away from anyone else in the wrong hands.

Robin
Old 28-12-13, 14:32
carrier mech

I have seen the A frames at work, but have no photos I'm afraid. They were not a lot different from a shortened M-series a-frame.
Old 29-12-13, 00:39
Lionel G. Evans

Default Over the Pond

Hello Robin,

There is a mob over in the USA Safety One Training International Inc. who claim the following:
Hagglund BV206 All Terrain Vehicle Tracks and parts

We’re the largest distributor of replacement tracks for the Hagglunds BV 206 All Terrain Vehicle in North America. We currently stock tracks and a wide assortment of parts at our Littleton, Colorado facility. Call today or email us to discuss your needs!

Maybe it would be worth a quick completion of their online contact form ...http://safetyoneinc.com/contact-us

Thanks for the reply and the link to the news article . It is a shame that it has had such a flow on effect to other enthusiasts.

Kind Regards
Lionel
Old 29-12-13, 00:53
Lionel G. Evans

Default Extraction

And yes, the BV 206 is a very capable vehicle in the right hands but enables you to get planted miles off road away from anyone else in the wrong hands.

Robin[/QUOTE]

Hello Robin,

Would this equate to an example of being "planted miles off road" .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8B5MwuqnJw

Kind Regards
Lionel
Old 29-12-13, 01:26
Lionel G. Evans

Default An old Link

Hello Robin,

I found a link on another forum that dates back to 05-11-2013, 06:47 PM - I am not sure if the forum member posts regularly since November. However, Snowtrac Nome describes the towing arrangement and offered to post another forum member some photographs. Who knows the person might still be active at this time of year?

member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hagglund BV206 seperation
here's the scoop on the bv 206 I have separated them for air deployment in the past its a lot of work. the 4 pins from the coupler need to be removed the accumulater have to be disconnected and the drive shaft needs to be removed. the drive shaft can be a bitch to remove too, as the splines are quite tight .the best way is to tow it with a tow bar it hooks into the 2 pins sticking out in the front of the frame right in front of the differential. they can also be towed on a rope you just need to stab the brakes to assist with the steering. I've done this many times in the past.to tow there is a lever for t-case shift behind and underneath the drivers seat its just like a pick up with up high middle nutral and all the way down low. why wont the thing run under it's own power if you have to pull the motor you are in for another learning experience if you need a pic of the tow bar I can get some for you on Monday as I fabbed one up for another 206 owner earlier this year.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=63304

I hope this leads to you getting some photographs. Maybe someone else of the forum can help you out?

I am a researcher and I like a challenge + I did not know what a Hagglund BV 206 was so it captured my curiosity

Kind Regards
Lionel
Old 29-12-13, 16:42

Default BV 206 stuff.....

Hi,

I sold a BV 206 a couple of years ago to a Hagglund fanatic named Bill Feeley in Montana. He mostly does custom rigs using Hagglund running gear, but also has a large supply of used and reconditioned parts and such.....might have the info you need.

http://www.extremehagglunds.com/used.html

edit: He shows some tow bars 3/4 of the way throught his "take a tour" video on his main web page.

Thanks, David

Last edited by David DeWeese; 03-01-14 at 04:40. Reason: added info
Old 29-12-13, 22:30

Dear David, Lionel and Rob,

Rob, if you get a chance any info would be appreciated

David, I will get a hold of him, he is a bit different but has been reasonable for others to deal with. If you have any more Bvs for sale . . . ..

Lionel, Safety One make a good dollar off what they have, I'm just a bit careful of how much profit I allow people to make of us. They are a known entity to me.

Time will tell whether I will replicate the genuine item if drawings or an example can be found to copy or if I will have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks all

R
Old 30-12-13, 00:31
carrier mech

About 14 years back, when I was still in the military, C battery still was using the BV206 to tow the GIAT. The BQ had ordered an A-frame, and they had been listed in the supply cat as KM-local purchase. In the end the battery sent an existing BV206 a frame downtown to a welding shop. and they made up a pretty good copy. It was expensive as hell mind you. I remember thinking, on seeing it, that we could have shortened an M-series a frame for a fraction of the cost.
Old 30-12-13, 10:48

Rob,

I am a welder and fabricator by trade and in my sleep I have made this item several times over.

I would however, for the sake of being a purist, like to nail the copy more closely than what I think it should be.

I already know that the attachment coupling has to engage the round horns and clamp to them. I have fairly well thought out that part.

I know that the moment I start to cut steel and weld, an original one will pop up for $25 from 20 kilometres away no doubt.

I will send an email to MILMAC and see what they can scare up for me

R
Old 02-02-14, 17:55

Here are some pictures sent to me from a CF member out west of what his unit has, who made them I do not know but they are what is needed to mate correctly to the BV206.

The last picture shows you the "horns" at the front of the vehicle that it couples to.

Thank you to all involved

Robin
Attached Thumbnails
BV A-frame 2 (LRes).jpg   BV A-frame 3 (LRes).jpg   BV A-frame 4 (LRes).jpg   BV A-frame 1 (LRes).jpg  
Old 02-02-14, 21:08
Terry Warner

Instead of trying to visualize a complicated set of angles and clearances, why not weld a few 90-degree tabs onto some telescoping tubes that have offset thru pins? This way if the BV's attachment point works best with the tab face up, or left or right, a telescoping joint in the middle can be swivelled 90-degrees or 180-degrees as required. Put in a cross pin or bolt. Give yourself a ring or whatever the towing vehicle's hitch needs, and proceed with due care. Check the chains every mile or so, and before any exciting parts of the route.

The objective is to put enough hours into the job back at the shop to limp the BV out of harm's way and closer to a better tow rig.
Attached Thumbnails
homemade improvised towbar.jpg  

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 02-02-14, 21:16

Dear Terry,

Thank you for your comments, however, no.

The photos shows the "proper" towing frame that has been designed tried and tested. That is what we will use.

Our objective is to make and use the proper kit for the job which is proven and safe. There is a lot going on when towing a dead Bv206.

It is a simple fabrication job, I have 3 to make for various owners

R

Last edited by Robin Craig; 14-02-14 at 12:26.
Old 14-02-14, 12:36

So timelines have stretched and it is only now that I am starting to make the component parts.

The lunette pieces are a bought in item at my retail cost of $30 a piece which considering I have made a lunette before, a long complicated pain of a process, I am happy to pay to avoid doing over again. It has a 5 ton capacity.

The C shape ends that engage the horns on the BV have been made over this jig and some heat. They obviously are made long and trimmed. I'm off to a mates shop who has a 3/4" drill and a very substantial drill press later today.

So there is no confusion, the soapstone markings for the holes were done after the bending process.

I will hopefully get two sets and maybe the third fabricated over this long weekend.

Hope it illustrates the method clearly for all to enjoy

Robin
Attached Thumbnails
A-Frame parts 1.jpg   A-frame parts 2.jpg   A-frame parts 3.jpg  
Old 14-02-14, 23:55

Drilled a bunch of 3/4" holes today. Am coming up with a farmer simple securing system for the nut, and obviously will be shortening the bolt.

R
Attached Thumbnails
A-frame parts 5.jpg  
Old 15-02-14, 15:02

Robin, thanks for the photos. It's always nice to see projects in progress.
Cheers,
Barrry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 23-02-14, 01:25

Well, timelines have slid sideways and I have used the leeway to get other projects done, but the domestic receiver general put the squeeze on me so I can not bill out unless it is finished, so I have done just that.

My thanks to Barry Churcher for his kind comments.

So, here for delight and delectation is the finished item as made by me. You will note that the A frame no longer is hinged. There was some chat about that with the client and we have come to an agreement.

You will note that it is black, his Bv206 is not in original colours so this was his choice.

I am not putting up dimensions or a "how to". If you want one contact me and we can discuss things. There is more going on than meets the eye.

I have also used HSS (hollow structural steel) as opposed to pipe as the dimensions and shapes lend themselves to improved weld joints and a substantially more robust product.

The recovery that this has been made for is postponed for a while.

Robin
Attached Thumbnails
BV A-frame 7.jpg   BV A-frame 8.jpg   BV A-frame 9.jpg   BV A-frame 10.jpg