MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up

Notices

Old 23-06-15, 17:19

Default Lsvw

The Sigs boys in Hamilton got all wet and bothered when I told them about this LSVW , then I told them about the down side , parts etc. , then back to things mounted low how about that 24 volt alternator on the G-Wagon, great mud storage device and when in the field ALWAYS have a Steve Jobs type person with you,
Old 28-06-15, 13:20
aut viam inveniam aut fac

I have to agree with 45jim posted much earlier. I can't understand why we cant build to our own designs.

Britain has done it- a small nation of roughly only double Canada's population and very limited natural resources
France more resources than UK- but again population similar to UK at currently 66 million
Japan- germany,Italy etc
All make unique cars, weapons etc that they export.

As pointed out by others, when you simply buy the licence to build another country's product, there is no innovation, no real added jobs, hefty licence fees which go out of the country..no real lasting advantage at all.

Should we mention the new shipbuilding programme? of the fighter jet issue?

I have many dozens of Canadian magazines from the war years, and up to about the 60s we made everything here, and I mean everything.

Yes we had GM, Ford and Dodge, (remember we also used to have unique all Cdn companies at the start of the auto age-just like we used to have Cdn Oil Cos) but these, at least GM and Ford were far more independent (from US parent) Cdn operations at the time.

It also seems that whenever a truly Cdn company starts to make it, it gets bought out and becomes a subsidiary of a foreign operation. Canada Goose is an example recently. CCM went bankrupt in 83 and the name now owned by Adidas and of course CCM labelled bike not made here, how about a wooden hockey stick ..Sher-Wood...made in China now..

I could go on at length on political subjects and all these Free Trade deals..which strike me after study as very bad for Canada- TPP, TISA, UPOV94, CETA and so on... most being negotiated in great secrecy.

But if so many other countries are making their own domestic products successfully one has to wonder what happened to us.
Old 02-07-15, 03:02

So, who bought it? Where is it now?

That is the more important question

R
Old 21-07-15, 14:14
carrier mech

Default The beginning of the end

So I see around another half dozen LSVW on CADC located in Alberta. The interesting thing is some for sale have the van bodies still on them. The van bodies were originally procured for the Chev 5/4 tons back in 1976, and on disposal of that fleet, they were sent to Corcan (corrections Canada) for refurbishment and modifications, then installed on the LSVW fleet. That makes the van bodies just under 40 years old.

While I can't speak for the vans from out east, I can say that the ones out west are still quite solid.

Bidding starts at $1,000 each. I would hope the madness of the previous truck has subsided, and these willl go for a little more reasonable prices. And if not these, then perhaps as more than a thousand are released, the prices will reflect what is being offered. I note one just sold in Oromocto yesterday for $5313.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?...1&sf=ferm-clos

Use the search term "western star" when checking CADC, as they do not always use LSVW in the ad. I also note there are a couple more for sale in New Brunswick.

I think I can say with great certainty that one of these will never be in my collection.
Old 21-07-15, 18:49
metal urgest

There are about a dozen LSVW's here in London with plates removed and ID numbers sprayed on them waiting for disposal.
Old 22-07-15, 01:34
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank v R View Post
The Sigs boys in Hamilton got all wet and bothered when I told them about this LSVW , then I told them about the down side , parts etc. , then back to things mounted low how about that 24 volt alternator on the G-Wagon, great mud storage device and when in the field ALWAYS have a Steve Jobs type person with you,
The Jimmys will get even 'happier' about this one. https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?...1&sf=ferm-clos

If it is an in-service vehicle and they are an authorized museum, they do get front of the line access to claim it. I think the two base transport offices need to talk, and do a VMO from NB to the Center of the Universe. Someone will have to pay the shipping, but these things can be done.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 23-07-15, 05:31
carrier mech

Two of the Alberta auctions completed today with prices realized of $8279 for a cargo and $7688 for a van style. Amazing prices, and it will be interesting to see how low they go after the initial batches sell.

The gagetown ones sold for $4002 and $3333 for the cable layer.

Terry: the museums will no doubt be offered samples of the LSVW. It will come through DHH (or whatever acronym they go by these days). Transport offices will have nothing to do with VMOs, those are cut from either command or from Ottawa. I think most museums would rather have a sample from their own bases or units. I know that is usually the case here.

Last edited by rob love; 23-07-15 at 05:36.
Old 23-07-15, 17:16
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post

Terry: the museums will no doubt be offered samples of the LSVW. It will come through DHH (or whatever acronym they go by these days). Transport offices will have nothing to do with VMOs, those are cut from either command or from Ottawa. I think most museums would rather have a sample from their own bases or units. I know that is usually the case here.
DHH is likely offerring thru a CANFORGEN for AFVs, but administered by ADM(Mat) as someones' punishment. Museums are never run for the long term. Most, as you well know, are run by earnest amateurs with good intentions but painfully limited resources. It does help to remind people from time to time what is available. The gang referred to earlier may not have had an inclination to get an LSVW until now. Who knows?

For what it's worth, one particular MLVW used by the Geo Techs in Valcartier had been issued to a Dental unit in Bosnia 'way back when'. The Dents are having an anniversary, and the Geos were ordered cough up an operational vehicle for a year of displays.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 24-07-15, 12:37

From what I have seen there has been some kind of inventory of the LSVW fleet done over the last year which has in various guises had CFR number painted / daubed on doors and van bodies.

There is everything from chassis cabs to complete vehicles and van bodies on their own lined up for disposal on bases across the land.

The flood gates are opening, get one while they last . . .

R
Old 24-07-15, 14:07
carrier mech

The divestment project started almost 2 years ago. Almost 25% of the regular force green fleet was pulled from service and parked, as a cost saving measure. This included about 50% of the LSVWs, and many mlvs and HLVWs. I believe some were re-distrinuted from rust free zones to replace Eastern unit vehicles which were suffering badly. So it now looks like the military is starting to reduce the legacy vehicles, even before replacements are purchased.

One of the lessons learned from Afghanistan was that if a vehicle was not armoured, or at least capable of being armoured, it had very little role in operations. Most of the soft-skin role could be handled by rentals in theater.
Old 24-07-15, 22:31
MUTT Guy

Quote:
One of the lessons learned from Afghanistan was that if a vehicle was not armoured, or at least capable of being armoured, it had very little role in operations. Most of the soft-skin role could be handled by rentals in theater.
Amen Brother.
Old 25-07-15, 04:30
Terry Warner

Quote:
A similar threat level was experienced in the Normandy beachhead until the breakout at Caen. The war diaries of the 27th Canadian Armoured Regt mention restrictions on all travel except by tank, half-track or scout car. No Jeeps or motor cycles.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 04-12-15, 20:04

Default LSVW Kijiji

One of these LSVWs has resurfaced on Kjiji. It appears to have been given a bit of a freshing up and a new price tag of $13,000!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/v...ationFlag=true

Another for $10,000, this one was sold out of Shilo, I am sure Rob will recognize the wind sock in the back round.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/b...ationFlag=true

Last edited by Yeo.NT; 04-12-15 at 20:10.
Old 04-12-15, 20:43
carrier mech

Just a little mark-up on those.

There are two more on CADC at present. Not sure how many more will be coming out of Shilo. Many of Shilo`s are heading to the federal pen for dismantling and recovery of certain parts to return to the DND system. There was a tender the other week for 480 tires to be surplus in the next year as a result of that operation, so approx 100 LSVWs expected to be run through the CORCAN divestment program in Manitoba.
Old 04-12-15, 20:48
carrier mech

Neil: The second one you show only went for $1500.99. https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?...L&sf=ferm-clos

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/b...ationFlag=true

I put a bid on it for parts only but was too cheap to be successful. I was under the notion that there were going to be thousands of these released. At the same time, I had no desire to own one for driving around.
Old 20-12-15, 19:36
Gilles Chartrand

Default Lsvw

Just a quick note 2 LSVWs were sold in Kingston in December. Both vehicles are runners and both have been registered for the road. Also Crown Assets is giving letters so that they can be registered.
There will be 20-30 up for sale in January 2016.

Gilles
Old 21-12-15, 04:16

They may be runners but they aren't stoppers...lol!

Ours seemed to have recently redone bodies, unlike the rest that are coming up. I'll probably pick up another one for spare parts.

Ryan

'95 Enfield Military Bullet
'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
‘40 Something Universal Carrier
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.
Old 14-01-16, 11:24
Gilles Chartrand

Default Lsvw

Like Ryan said good runners but no stopping. What I will doing with mine is:
1. change the tires and replace them with 286X75x16 with a less aggressive thread than the military thread, less weight on the truck
2. We will be relining the brake pads with a soft asbestos type lining, the present lining are very hard and will cause excessive noise, become glazed faster. Hopefully the softer brakes will help, we will let you know the results. The brakes will be redlined in Ottawa.
With new brakes and smaller tires I should get better performance. MTF
Overall the trucks Ryan and I got are very nice, I have no bodywork to do and minimal touchup and adding personal touches.
It will go to safety in the springtime as it is too cold to work on it now.
Don't judge a book by it's cover, remember while they were in the forces these vehicles were always severely overloaded, often driven by people who only car was a Kia Rio. The controversy of this vehicle reminds me of any other vehicle that everyone said was the worse made... The ILTIS..
We have owned Iltises since they were surpluses and once we collectors got our hands on them we love them. Ask Carolle my wife, Stuart, John Granger.
Give the LSVW a chance, even if it is under powered it will still get us from point A to B, our hobby is not built for speed and we have vehicles that are slow but good to look at.
If you are interested in a LSVW wait to see the results as to what they sold for, I believe the next lot will have a lower starting price I will ask the following "How much have you paid for an old rusted out shell or a non runner, deadhead????
Yea I like the LSVW, but then again some people say I am weird.

Last edited by Wpns 421; 14-01-16 at 11:25. Reason: errors
Old 14-01-16, 14:21
carrier mech

Gilles, you are certainly an optimist Good luck.

Admittedly some of the Lsvw problems can be fixed by selection of more suitable parts. But some of it is due to poor engineering. And of course the drive it till it drops attitude of the operators did not help. At the end of the day though, the Lsvw was supposed to be a fleet vehicle, and it did not pass.

Here are a couple of pointers to head you in the right direction:
1: Replace the oil sendindunit with another brand. They were trouble from day one. The diaphragm in them fails and they leak out the drain vent hole. The less knowledgeable mechanics tried to block the vent hole with rtv but that only works until the pressure equals out on the diaphragm at which time you get zero reading all the time.

2: At one point the LCMMs talked about putting the bands around the drums like you would have on a brake lathe. Apparently that quietened things down.

3: We had a lot of failures, some of them fatal to the vehicle due to fire, of the multiple hoses running from the cooler to the transmission. Consider upgrading those as they start to leak.

The list on these is very very long, and as I am currently on holiday in Mexico, I do not want to spend any more time on Lsvws.
Old 14-01-16, 16:30
Gilles Chartrand

Thumbs down

Thanks Rob
We will talk when you get back from sunny Mexhico. But you are right the vehicle is problematic, we just want it for shows and local driving. I am an optimistic on the truck, if it catches fire the insurance will pay me a lot more than it is worth.

Gilles
Old 26-01-16, 00:43

Default Lsvw

Well I bought two of them from Kingston and they were delivered today. Im away from home but will be back on Friday to start the process of firing them up. New batteries are on the way too. If any of you pros have pre starting advice for the amatuer let me know! I shall keep you posted.

Regards

Mannie
Old 26-01-16, 05:00

Can you buy the rest of them so we can get on to the G Wagons?!!! Daddy needs a green SUV!!!
Old 27-01-16, 02:37

Default G wagons

I agree! I would buy them all if we could get the G wagons!
Old 30-01-16, 00:09

Default Lsvw

The first one fired right up and purred. Number 2 has frozen rear brakes. Will work on that one tomorrow.
Old 30-01-16, 05:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfrednemi View Post
The first one fired right up and purred. Number 2 has frozen rear brakes. Will work on that one tomorrow.

We fired up two more of the ones I got today and no issues so far. I'm going to fire up some more of them tomorrow once I check over the fluids. One of ours has frozen rear brakes too but they have been sitting awhile.

Ryan

'95 Enfield Military Bullet
'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
‘40 Something Universal Carrier
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.
Old 31-01-16, 23:47

Default Lsvw

Ryan, truck number 2 is just as good as truck number 1. The warm weather today thawed out the frozen rear brakes. I believe the truck had been sitting with the emergency brake on and seized/froze. Feed it up today and the truck runs like a champ. Both trucks seem to have relatively new tires. The SKU stickers are still on the tires. I checked all lights, horn, working componenets. Brakes look good from what I can see. I think they will both certify without any issues. I got lucky! Only thing missing is the passenger seat and one door to the battery storage area. Ryan, how many did you buy? Im going to get a couple more for parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Harriman View Post
We fired up two more of the ones I got today and no issues so far. I'm going to fire up some more of them tomorrow once I check over the fluids. One of ours has frozen rear brakes too but they have been sitting awhile.

Ryan
Old 31-01-16, 23:53

Smile LSVW registration for on road use MTO isuues

I forgot to mention, I went to the MTO to transfer the LSVW into my name and ran into problems. The letter I got from the DND listed the vehicle as having a gross weight of 44,000 kilos! That put a kaibosh on everything. I have to get new letters with the proper vehicle weight on them. If you bought one check your letter!
Old 13-02-16, 18:42
Dave Good

Seen this one on eBay and its at $10,565.14 , I guess someone think its worth something

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Western-Star-...0AAOSw--1WtmkR
Old 13-02-16, 19:07
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave View Post
Seen this one on eBay and its at $10,565.14 , I guess someone think its worth something

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Western-Star-...0AAOSw--1WtmkR
From the ad:
Quote:
and 500 miles of range!
I'll assume that is referring to the expected kilometerage before you will have to repair it to keep going further.