MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up

Notices

Old 17-06-15, 04:34
Frankencarrier owner

Default LSVW for sale - Crown Assets

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?...1&sf=ferm-clos

I may have to buy one, just for the historical value.
Old 17-06-15, 06:49
carrier mech

Now that is a deceiving ad if there ever was one. No photo, no mileage, and just the factory specifications. Something tells me this is not a showroom condition LSVW.

And even if it was, I am not sure what one would do with an LSVW. There is very little that can be said about them that would be positive.

I note at least one error in the ad: Tires: Michelin 1400-R20-XL. I really doubt that puny little 4 cylinder diesel could move a set of 14x20s around, and those squeeling brakes certainly could not stop them.

Last edited by rob love; 17-06-15 at 07:06.
Old 17-06-15, 12:42
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Ahh, Rob. Do I suspect some disdain for these beasts, similar to your feelings about the Iltis???

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 17-06-15, 14:19
carrier mech

Disdain barely covers the LSVW.....you would have to add words like loathing and disgust to make the sentence lean towards my feelings for those trucks. The fact that the CF managed to get 20 years out of them is incredible.

While in Bosnia, I would see packets of Italian ones show up at our base for fuel, and theirs did not seem to suffer the same chronic problems our did, so I think I will have to blame the combination of parts Western Star assembled along with poor manufacture of some of their parts.

I don't even know where to begin on these trucks, so I will leave it at that.
Old 17-06-15, 15:08
3RD ECHELON WKSP

So Rob
When is the legacy of buying troublesome foreign made vehicles going to end?
The Iltis, LSVW and MLVW have all been plaqued with issues right from new. Once again the taxpayer has been bamboozled into believing that we at least have Canadian content in these crap boxes but what we have ended up are only facsimiles of original designs made under license.
For the life of me I don't understand why we never piggybacked on US orders like the M35 series of trucks. The American trucks never seemed to be plaqued plus the supply stream of parts was easily available. Commonality amongst allies makes way better sense unless this is a case of wanting to wave the sovereignty issue by being different.
I think even their series of Stewart Stevenson trucks were superior to the LSVW fleet we fielded. For the use fullness of the Iltis we might as well had Jeep resurrect the M38A1 or otherwise used the CUCV...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 17-06-15, 15:23
carrier mech

The MLVW was not plagued with problems in my books. They are now 33, and still going for another 5 years possibly. In many cases, problems experienced in the East were applied to the whole fleet. Here in the west we did not suffer from things like the rusted out rims, or the levels of corrosion on the bodies. We did run a V8 where the US ran the 6 cylinder, and perhaps that is what contributed to some of the suspension problems.

The original tenders to replace the MLVW was going to be a sole source for the Stewart Stevenson. They came n two sizes, and were basically the Steyr HLVW truck with a North American engine and transmission, in different chassis and load configurations.

The sole sourcing had two problems....the S-S was nearing the end of it's service life in the US, and many companies complained because they were not going to be able to compete in the competition. Eight years later we still have no replacement, although the militia did manage to get the International Defense trucks.

There were programs announced recently that will replace the LSVW, the MLVW, and the HLVW fleets in the next 7 years. One has to remember that every time these trucks go to the field, they are driven to the maximum of their capabilities. The fact that we get decades of service from them is impressive.
Old 23-06-15, 08:26
Derek Heuring

Default World LSVW speed record holder

Yours truly claims the LSVW world record speed attained on the flat. During MARCOT 98 at Stephenville NFLD I had an opportunity to see how fast one of those clunkers would go. I started at the far eastern end of runway 09/27 which is over 11,000 ft. long. I was able to get the truck up to 105km/hr (as shown on the speedometer) which is the fastest an LSVW has done without a push, tail-wind, or slope.
I'm still awaiting my commemorative plaque for the event!

CHIMO!

Derek H.
Old 23-06-15, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
Yours truly claims the LSVW world record speed attained on the flat. During MARCOT 98 at Stephenville NFLD I had an opportunity to see how fast one of those clunkers would go. I started at the far eastern end of runway 09/27 which is over 11,000 ft. long. I was able to get the truck up to 105km/hr (as shown on the speedometer) which is the fastest an LSVW has done without a push, tail-wind, or slope.
I'm still awaiting my commemorative plaque for the event!

CHIMO!

Derek H.

Sorry to crush your dreams had my MRT going 110km/h with a 10kw Gen in the trailer

Arte Et Marte
Old 23-06-15, 17:19

Default Lsvw

The Sigs boys in Hamilton got all wet and bothered when I told them about this LSVW , then I told them about the down side , parts etc. , then back to things mounted low how about that 24 volt alternator on the G-Wagon, great mud storage device and when in the field ALWAYS have a Steve Jobs type person with you,
Old 22-07-15, 01:34
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank v R View Post
The Sigs boys in Hamilton got all wet and bothered when I told them about this LSVW , then I told them about the down side , parts etc. , then back to things mounted low how about that 24 volt alternator on the G-Wagon, great mud storage device and when in the field ALWAYS have a Steve Jobs type person with you,
The Jimmys will get even 'happier' about this one. https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?...1&sf=ferm-clos

If it is an in-service vehicle and they are an authorized museum, they do get front of the line access to claim it. I think the two base transport offices need to talk, and do a VMO from NB to the Center of the Universe. Someone will have to pay the shipping, but these things can be done.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 23-07-15, 05:31
carrier mech

Two of the Alberta auctions completed today with prices realized of $8279 for a cargo and $7688 for a van style. Amazing prices, and it will be interesting to see how low they go after the initial batches sell.

The gagetown ones sold for $4002 and $3333 for the cable layer.

Terry: the museums will no doubt be offered samples of the LSVW. It will come through DHH (or whatever acronym they go by these days). Transport offices will have nothing to do with VMOs, those are cut from either command or from Ottawa. I think most museums would rather have a sample from their own bases or units. I know that is usually the case here.

Last edited by rob love; 23-07-15 at 05:36.
Old 28-06-15, 13:20
aut viam inveniam aut fac

I have to agree with 45jim posted much earlier. I can't understand why we cant build to our own designs.

Britain has done it- a small nation of roughly only double Canada's population and very limited natural resources
France more resources than UK- but again population similar to UK at currently 66 million
Japan- germany,Italy etc
All make unique cars, weapons etc that they export.

As pointed out by others, when you simply buy the licence to build another country's product, there is no innovation, no real added jobs, hefty licence fees which go out of the country..no real lasting advantage at all.

Should we mention the new shipbuilding programme? of the fighter jet issue?

I have many dozens of Canadian magazines from the war years, and up to about the 60s we made everything here, and I mean everything.

Yes we had GM, Ford and Dodge, (remember we also used to have unique all Cdn companies at the start of the auto age-just like we used to have Cdn Oil Cos) but these, at least GM and Ford were far more independent (from US parent) Cdn operations at the time.

It also seems that whenever a truly Cdn company starts to make it, it gets bought out and becomes a subsidiary of a foreign operation. Canada Goose is an example recently. CCM went bankrupt in 83 and the name now owned by Adidas and of course CCM labelled bike not made here, how about a wooden hockey stick ..Sher-Wood...made in China now..

I could go on at length on political subjects and all these Free Trade deals..which strike me after study as very bad for Canada- TPP, TISA, UPOV94, CETA and so on... most being negotiated in great secrecy.

But if so many other countries are making their own domestic products successfully one has to wonder what happened to us.
Old 02-07-15, 03:02

So, who bought it? Where is it now?

That is the more important question

R
Old 21-07-15, 14:14
carrier mech

Default The beginning of the end

So I see around another half dozen LSVW on CADC located in Alberta. The interesting thing is some for sale have the van bodies still on them. The van bodies were originally procured for the Chev 5/4 tons back in 1976, and on disposal of that fleet, they were sent to Corcan (corrections Canada) for refurbishment and modifications, then installed on the LSVW fleet. That makes the van bodies just under 40 years old.

While I can't speak for the vans from out east, I can say that the ones out west are still quite solid.

Bidding starts at $1,000 each. I would hope the madness of the previous truck has subsided, and these willl go for a little more reasonable prices. And if not these, then perhaps as more than a thousand are released, the prices will reflect what is being offered. I note one just sold in Oromocto yesterday for $5313.

Use the search term "western star" when checking CADC, as they do not always use LSVW in the ad. I also note there are a couple more for sale in New Brunswick.

I think I can say with great certainty that one of these will never be in my collection.
Old 21-07-15, 18:49
metal urgest

There are about a dozen LSVW's here in London with plates removed and ID numbers sprayed on them waiting for disposal.