MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 03-02-04, 16:22
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default canadian chevrolet maple leaf 4x4 artillery tractors?

Hello,

In 1940 or 1941 the Dutch East Indies Army (KNIL) acquired a large batch of 4x4 artillery tractors. The information I have on these vehicles is sketchy and pictures are rare and often unclear. I have lately seen some film footage that featured them.

Word is they were Canadian built Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton. My own research tells me they were used for towing 105mm Bofors howitzers, 75mm Krupp field guns and Bofors 40mm AA guns by KNIL. Some 200 were probably available, presumably all or almost all used on Java. In KNIL they were called Maple Leaf's.

On the scarce pictures it looks like the truck was very similar to the 1 1/2 ton 4x4 GMC ACK-353 cargo truck (as shown in Bart Vanderveen's MV directory, latest edition), except for the body that looked like some other GMC pre-WW2 prime mover's bodys. It also resembled 4x4 Dodge 1 1/2 ton trucks (T203). A spare wheel was carried in a frame between cabin and body.

The KNIL vehicles were usually right hand drive and rarely had their cabin doors fitted.

I do not know much more about these vehicles, but I would appreciate very much if someone could tell me more. Were these vehicles really ACK-353's converted to artillery tractors? Or Dodge's? Was it an existing model, as used by other nations (US?) in early or pre-war years? Or was it a purpose built or locally converted model? GM had a very good assembly plant in the Dutch East Indies (at Tandjong Priok, the port of them capital Batavia-now Jakarta) that did a lot of converting work for the Dutch Indies military.

Kind regards,
Nuyt

Last edited by nuyt; 25-03-04 at 20:53.
Old 03-02-04, 20:09
former Resident Historian

Default Reply

The answer is that they could have been 4 x 4 Maple Leafs, Model 1663 2½-tonner trucks of 133¼ in. wheelbase although in 1939/40 GM of Canada made available GMC 9433 and 9533 4 x 4 chassis 133 inch wheelbase trucks for export. The reason we know is because Canadian Department of National Defence archives state that in the summer of 1939 4 x 4 GMCs were demonstrated to various parties that were intended for the 'Malay States'. GM Java supplied the Malay States, Singapore and NEI. Canadian GMC and Chevrolet/Maple Leaf were clones of each other so the GMCs just mentioned had Chevrolet 216 engines. General Motors-Holden's in Australia assembled some 4 x 4 Maple Leafs in 1940 Model Year and these must have used an imported system, most likely the General Motors Truck 4 x 4 Timken axle and transfer case.

In addition I can say that GM Truck in Pontiac, Michigan, sold 4 x 4 GMCs from 1936 onwards at least which were assembled in GM Continental, Antwerp for the Dutch and Belgian Armies. The 1939-40 GMC 4 x 4 was the ACK-353 Model 4930, and they were definitely assembled in Antwerp. Right-hand drive versions were then shipped off to General Motors Java Handel Mij Jakarta for supply to the NEI forces. GM Java opened in May 1927 had Plant Code XQ but was incorporated 3 February 1927.

In addition there were the Dutch DAF 'Trado' conversions: DAF converted Chevrolet chassis to 4 x 4 for the Dutch Army in 1940, and had provided all-wheel drive conversions since 1935. The last batch of 1940 Models were seized before they could be shipped, and were taken over by the Germans.

You might like to know that after the Japanese invaded Chevrolet assembly was moved out of the port, with a view to providing vehicles for the Army. When the Japs finally took over they seized all the vehicles, assembled or not, and then used them for their own forces. The GM Java Plant became a Toyota [?] truck factory producing military trucks. Post-war it was resuscitated having beeb slightly damaged but had a short life, becoming the Batavia Branch after 1947 until liquidated 1955. General Motors Corporation made a War Damage Claim in 1966-67 for the losses suffered.

Quote:
On Tuesday, 30 May at G.M. of Canada, Oshawa, Ontario, Colonel Carr was shown two 4 x 4 trucks destined apparently for the Malay States. ...... The company informed him that they also had orders for two more such trucks for Australia, one for India and one for Egypt. The front axle on all of these trucks was a ‘Timkin’ [actually Timken], product that was similar in all respects to the Marmon-Herrington system, which was also produced by Timken. The two trucks seen had 7.50 x 20-inch tyres with dual rear wheels, and 13.50 x 20-inch single wheels all round. The wheelbase in each case was the standard 133-inch, which coincides with some Chevrolet and G.M.C. 1939 Model trucks. The exhibited trucks looked abnormally high in the front because of the straight axle and the fact that the mudguards for the standard drop-axle were being used, exaggerating the space between tyre and mudguard. They were fitted in front with a screen over the radiator and headlights identical to those used by the U.S. Army. The whole design was evolved in Pontiac, Michigan, and all parts were at that time being imported from the U.S. ...... It was stated that the production of the front axle in Canada would not be very difficult, though the transfer case would give more trouble and unless production warranted it, the creation of facilities in Canada would hardly be justified. An estimate of six months was given as the time to get quantity production of the transfer case in Canada. It was afterwards admitted that this referred to mass production, and as a tool-room job a fair number could be produced before the end of six months. Carmichael, the G.M. of Canada General Manager, was present at the trials and he advised that the company were anxious to produce two units for testing by the D.N.D., and that they could be made to any specification laid down. No mention of purchase was made and it was afterwards intimated to [Colonel N.O. ]Carr by Kirkhope that there was no intention of selling the units to the D.N.D. Carmichael was informed that Carr was ready to lay down a specification which in his opinion was the best to follow for two experimental vehicles; that he could see no special advantages in the designs then being called for if they were regarded from the viewpoint of the War Office and the knowledge he possessed in regard to the latter’s aims, but he felt that it might be better to draw up a specification after consulting other possible consumers. Carmichael waved aside this proposal and intimated that the D.N.D. should produce what they thought was the best vehicle and left it to them to try to sell the idea abroad. He took him at his word, he said, and discussed in detail with the Chief Engineer, Armstrong, and Kirkhope the design to which he thought the two vehicles should be produced. This was that both vehicles were to be of minimum wheelbase, estimated to be approximately 108-inches. Both vehicles were to have the front end redesigned to admit of the driver being placed as far forward as possible. Armstrong suggested that he thought that by using the widest track available the driver could be positioned so that his feet were well up beside the engine. If this worked out satisfactorily then the loading space behind the driver should be equivalent or very nearly so, to that of the 15-cwt. Both vehicles were to be fitted with cowl and windscreen only and bucket seat. One vehicle was to be fitted with the standard Chevrolet [216] engine, and the other with a larger engine, which had only recently been developed, namely the 248 cu. in 6-cylinder . One vehicle was to be fitted with 13.50 x 16 tyres and the other 9.00 x 16 tyres, single wheels all round. These specifications were presented to Armstrong as an ideal to be aimed for and a formal response in writing was promised. However, Carr envisaged a difficulty with the production of the wheels for the 9.00 x 16-inch tyres as the offset required on the front axle was very large. The double-flanged wheel as produced by Kelsey [Kelsey Wheel Company Limited, Windsor, Ontario] would not meet requirements. There was however a possible solution as India had ordered on their truck the fitment of 13.50 x 16-inch tyres and had told G.M. that they were to proceed with the obtaining of this equipment. This item had held up the production of the truck for India for some time as it was thought initially that the fitting of a wheel of this diameter would be impossible. The standard brake drum was about 14-inches in diameter, though after further study in conjunction with Timken, it had been decided to fit an 11 to 12-inch brake drum that would take a 16-inch wheel. If the spider of such a wheel was produced then in order to convert it to use with a 9.00 x 16-inch tyre would simply require the importation of the rim from [Dunlop?] England. It was further understood that 13.50 x 16 tyres were by then obtainable in the U.S. and that the Dominion Rubber Company Limited were also about ready to start Canadian production as well. G.M. were then busily engaged on the 1940 Models [launched 20 October, engine production for 1939 Models stopped in June, and 1940 started in August], hence Armstrong though that it would be most unlikely that these two experimental trucks could be produced before the end of August, but ‘he would do his best’. Carr rode in the truck bound for Malaya, apparently around Durham County, which had been fitted with 13.50 x 20 tyres, and about 20 miles were covered on a back country road with a maximum obtained of 43 m.p.h. The truck was said to be very unstable as the final front-end geometry had not been set-up. However, the G.M.C. truck, for that is what it was, allowed the disengaging the front axle and had an auxiliary gearbox [2-speed] providing for a total of 8 forward speeds and two reverse. Caldwell, the M.G.O. [Master-General of the Ordnance], commented in handwriting on the original note that he found the information ‘very interesting’. He was of the opinion that it was advisable to go ahead on ‘our own design’ based on known British trends and concurred in Carr’s action in the matter. He commented ‘anything we produce on these lines which is satisfactory to us is likely to be at least generally satisfactory to other Empire countries’. ...

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 03-02-04 at 20:16.
Old 03-02-04, 21:16
MLU Administrator

Default Truck, 30-cwt, 4x4, Gun Tractor (Maple Leaf)

Hi Nuyt,

I directed you to this forum because I knew our resident GM Automotive Historian would have something useful to say about this

I have not heard before of Maple Leaf trucks being supplied to the KNIL. I have looked through my references and found a vehicle which fits your description in Bart Vanderveen's The Observer's Fighting Vehicles Directory World War II (revised edition), p. 233:

"Truck, 30-cwt, 4x4, Gun Tractor (Maple Leaf)
6-cyl., 80 bhp, 4F1Rx2, wb 134 in. The Maple Leaf was a product of GM Products of Canada Ltd and could be described as a heavy-duty Chevrolet. This unit was produced for Australia, where it was fitted with GM-H cab and fixed-side body."

The picture (sorry, no scanner) shows a chassis/cowl (front end sheet metal plus windscreen) on large (20"?) tyres and a spare tyre fitted behind where the cab would be.
As noted by Vanderveen, "this unit was produced for Australia", but I cannot recall seeing pictures or references of these in Australian Army use. Did GM Holden deliver vehicles to the KNIL?

Could you share your sources with us so we can take this interesting subject one step further?

Regards,
Hanno
Old 03-02-04, 22:03
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default wow!

Thanks David and Hanno for the replies! Fantastic...

So David, can I conclude that before May 1940 most GM Java plant vehicles arrived from US/Canada through Antwerp (and Eindhoven-Daf) and after that orders were directed straight to US factories?

It's fascinating that you know a lot about the Java plant, I thought most info had been lost.

I think the NEI were home to a number of interesting GM vehicles before the war: Ford Staff cars (Commandowagen), pick-up's. Chevrolet ambulances, light AA trucks and armoured overvalwagens, all on GM chassis. Vehicles that are little known but deserve more attention. Well, that's how I feel about it.

Hanno, thanks for directing me to this forum. I am happy being a new member!

About the sources:

In a few weeks I will have moved to my new house and have my new scanner (connected). So I will definitely put some of the pictures I have on this thread.

Before me I have an article by RJ Claassen on the motorization of KNIL Artillery in 1942. This article is from a magazine on Dutch military history.

Page 19 (translating roughly): "Already in 1940 the First Field Arty Battalion of KNIL (AIVd) was equipped with GM Canada Chevrolet Maple Leaf, a 3-ton (Dutch tons?-Nuyt) military truck with all terrain tyres, that had been converted to 4x4." Claassen is quoting from Stabelan, a now defunct magazine written by KNIL veterans.

In the US Mission Report from August 1941 (kindly provided to me by mr Leland Ness) KNIL is said to have 200 Chevrolet FWD 1 1/2 ton trucks, while still in need of another 900. The 900 needed might not necessarily have been the same type as the arty tractors.

A note to the report says: "These trucks (Chevrolet 1 1/2 tons, 160 inch wheelbase) are normally bought from GM, Java, are received in CKD condition and assembled at the plant."
At the time of writing, the note goes on, there was a shortage of trucks but GM expected the arrival by october 1941 of a further 1100 trucks and after that a substantial number each month.

I also have some copies (provided again my Mr Ness) of the correspondence in the US about diverting 300 Chevrolet chassis and cab (of the 900 needed) to the Dutch Indies from the Detroit plant. These were 4x4 1 1/2 ton trucks from US army production.

Kind regards,
met vriendelijke groet,
Nuyt
Old 03-02-04, 22:34
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default addition

Sorry, forgot something:
Quote:
I also have some copies (provided again my Mr Ness) of the correspondence in the US about diverting 300 Chevrolet chassis and cab (of the 900 needed) to the Dutch Indies from the Detroit plant. These were 4x4 1 1/2 ton trucks from US army production
This was of course by the end of 1941 and the vehicles I guess were the standard US military Chevrolet 4x4. I have no proof these were delivered, although I suspect they might have been.

In 1945, some reconstituted KNIL units in Batavia illegally patrolled the streets in them. It is not very likely that these had just been formally acquired from overseas due to the political situation. It is also not likely that these vehicles had already been taken over from British/Australian/ Brit. Indian forces in Java: these were still around and would still have been needing them. Could they have been survivors? Here is a serial number on the left hand side of the bonnet (its a lhd vehicle) from one of the pictures (oct-nov 1945) : 330960 S and a bigger 76 on the side...

Hanno, about you question on Australian deliveries to KNIL: I do not know if KNIL purchased mil. equipment in OZ before the war or in 1940. Bilateral talks and mil. cooperation only started in 1941 and by then KNIL tried to obtain large amounts of stuff, even tanks (!) from the Australians. I have no references of transport. Before 1940 KNIL traditionally ordered its needs from European companies.

Last Saturday I saw some interesting film footage that is permanently displayed at Bronbeek KNIL Pensioners Home in Arnhem. If you get the chance, go there and you will see the Maple Leaf in action, towing Bofors 40mm AA guns. I have bought a video at Bronbeek about KNIL in 1942, but I will have to look agian to see if it contains the Maple Leaf.

Kind regards,
Nuyt
Rotterdam
Old 04-02-04, 00:16

Default Maple Leaf

The 1940 Maple Leaf 134 3/4 inch wheelbase Chassis with Cowl and Windshield was the Model 1662 2 1/2 ton capacity. The 2 Ton 133" w.b. was Model 1332. These could have been converted by GM of Canada using U.S. parts, or alternatively DAF-Trado. The DAF system had the drive by way of direct shafts to the wheels, so the photo will show if it was a DAF or [normal differential] U.S. Timken-Detroit front axle in which case the conversion was Canadian.

Now, the other information is going to need research! The only 160" wheelbase truck that could fit the description was the 1941 Model YS 1 1/2 ton which would be a 3 Ton/Tonne military rating.

What I do not have very regrettably is wheelbases of U.S. military Chevrolets. I have a complete list of all cars and trucks, and would suggest that the 4 x 4 could have been a Model YQ [Cargo Long] but without seeing a photo I can't be certain.

You must be right about the supply. It was Mr Vanderveen that proved that because GM and Ford supplied the Dutch Government with DAF-Trado conversions, and even published a photo of a long line of trucks awaiting delivery to the NEI, the orders were indeed shipped out from Antwerp.

After Antwerp was abandoned in May 1940 some GMCs and other GM vehicles intended for the Dutch/Belgian forces ended up at La Rochelle. These were seized by the Germans and then built-up and used, presumably on the Eastern Front. We also know that after the Japanese invasion of the NEI shipments of vehicles ended up in Australia as diverted cargoes, and Ford and Holden's then built them up with military bodies of various designs.

Now the question is what about post-May 1940? Up until then I can see no problem with shipments from Antwerp being handled by GM Java, and then delivered accordingly. This is because all GM subsidiaries paid for everything in U.S. dollars through New York as a clearing house. Thus GM Continental S.A. supplied G.M. Java Handel Mij with New York handling the payments.

Deliveries to GM Java after the Fall of France would have been made by New York, direct through General Motors Overseas Operations Division, with military trucks probably being sourced from Flint, Michigan Plant. By June 1940 G.M. had offices in New York and Detroit and Washington dealing with military vehicle contracts for the U.S. Quartermaster-General. The QMG handled all overseas sales especially purchases by the Allied [later British] Purchasing Commission in New York and Washington.

I have a possible answer as to what those trucks were doing in Batavia. We know from photographic evidence that the Japanese seized and then used Chevrolet cars and trucks in the NEI generally. When the allies liberated they recaptured vehicles which would then have been put back into service. I am also mulling over whether any trucks issued to the NEI forces in Australia were shipped to Java?

The information I have gleaned about GM Java has been acculumlated over many years. There was a reference in the War Claims Settlement published in Washington to the GM Java factory but my papers are in storage and I cannot access them.

May I please ask if you can in due course copy any papers that you have relating to U.S. correspondence? G.M. sold a number of Chevrolets [1000 ordered] to Yugoslavia in 1940-1941, and these were intended to be used by the military. New York handled the sale and we even know the unit price!
Old 04-02-04, 15:34
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default GMH

Of the GMH assembled 30 cwt 4X4 Maple Leaf . I knew of one up on the NSW south coast back in the late 1970's . A line of them was pictured at a GMH plant in the GMH war Record book , numbers assembled in Australia would have been very small, less than 100 I would think . I doubt if any of the other GMH ones have survived here .

Mike
Old 04-02-04, 21:40
Overvalwagen-o-logist

David, I will try to send you some info tomorrow (courtesy Mr Leland Ness).

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
Now, the other information is going to need research! The only 160" wheelbase truck that could fit the description was the 1941 Model YS 1 1/2 ton which would be a 3 Ton/Tonne military rating.

What I do not have very regrettably is wheelbases of U.S. military Chevrolets. I have a complete list of all cars and trucks, and would suggest that the 4 x 4 could have been a Model YQ [Cargo Long] but without seeing a photo I can't be certain.
Knil did have some trucks that looked like Chevrolet's MS4403 (with a simple wooden body). These had (I am reading Vanderveen's directory) 160 inch wheelbase, but they were 4x2.
Maybe the Mission report itself was just not clear enough and they confused some types and measures?

Quote:
I have a possible answer as to what those trucks were doing in Batavia. We know from photographic evidence that the Japanese seized and then used Chevrolet cars and trucks in the NEI generally. When the allies liberated they recaptured vehicles which would then have been put back into service. I am also mulling over whether any trucks issued to the NEI forces in Australia were shipped to Java?
So in the first scenario that would mean some 4x4 Chevrolet trucks were delivered in 1941/42 and survived the war. The truck on the picture has some really rundown tyres, by the way.
According to the US list of Lendlease deliveries the Dutch received a 136 1 1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo trucks during WW2, but I do not know when and to which theatre these were delivered (Ruling out the Dutch unit in the UK which I guess was equipped to British fashion, that would leave still 4 possibilities: Dutch West Indies, Australia, Java KNIL 1942 and the Dutch Marine Corps being trained in the US).

It is possible that the 1945 pictured truck had come with KNIL troops or had been otherwise "imported" from Australia, but it is not the most likely thing. Australian KNIL units were mainly stationed in Tarakan, Balikpapan, and the Eastern Indonesian islands (where the Australian Army was in charge). The British on Java in 1945 did not want to see a reconsituted KNIL or Dutch colonial government reinstalled at the moment due to the proclamation of the INdonesian Independence and the possibility of war. But I will check if some units made it from Australia to Batavia as early as oct 1945.

Kind regards,
Nuyt
Old 05-02-04, 06:04
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Recaptured Ex-Jap Chev trucks

Picture No 1

Finschhafen, New Guinea, 1943
Attached Thumbnails
scan10054.jpg  
Old 05-02-04, 06:06
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Picture no 2

Yaula, New Guinea, 1944
Attached Images

Old 05-02-04, 06:09
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Picture no 3

Yaula, New Guinea, 1944
Attached Thumbnails
scan10053.jpg  
Old 05-02-04, 08:21

Default ID?

The top photo...I assume that the characters on the frille are Japanese? 1941-on Chevrolet, probably a KNIL delivery originally but conjecting one of the GM Java-assembled trucks seized by the Japs and then re-captured.

The bottom two? 1937-8 Chevrolets, GM Java-assembled or just possibly GM Japana, Osaka.
Old 05-02-04, 13:35
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Hi, Picture number 1 really looks like a ex-KNIL vehicle. This is the 4x2 type I was referring to in my last post. Is this a 160inch wheelbase MS?

I am not sure about the other trucks in the next pics. They could be ex-NEI. But KNIL military built trucks usually had no cab doors and no rear mudguards. But then again they could have been ex-civilian trucks.

About the KNIL-Australia Chevrolet 4x4 trucks. Yep, one ship (Van Heutsz) arrived oct 45 from Oz to Batavia with supplies and troops from KNIL Australia. Other Dutch ships could not leave Australia at the time due to solidarity strikes by dockworkers and Indonesian crews.

Also a 1000 strong KNIL battalion was shipped from Balikpapan at the same time. No mention of trucks so far, but it is a little less unlikely that the 4x4 Chevys patrolling Batavia in oct/nov 45 were indeed coming from Australia...

Kind regards,
Nuyt
Old 05-02-04, 13:48

Default MS?

I am conjecting that the 1941-on truck is a 1942 Model MS, My list of all US Government QM contracts lists all US and Defence Aid contracts. From that I have a suggestion that it could have been one to Contract DA-TPS-0335 which was a Right hand drive Export MS Model 4403. However if it was lhd, then the candidate was Cab with Cargo (Export) to DA-W-398-QM-418 with Bid Request No. 2099 Model 4403.
Old 05-02-04, 14:47
MLU Administrator

Question GM trucks diverted to Australia

Nuyt, David,

Reading your postings I wonder if the "Truck, 30-cwt, 4x4, Gun Tractor (Maple Leaf)" were actually 1940 Maple Leaf 134 3/4 inch wheelbase Chassis with Cowl and Windshield Model 1662 2 1/2 ton trucks destined for General Motors Java Handel Mij at Jakarta, diverted to Australia after the fall of Java.

Quote:
Originally posted by ericnuyt
I also have some copies (provided again my Mr Ness) of the correspondence in the US about diverting 300 Chevrolet chassis and cab (of the 900 needed) to the Dutch Indies from the Detroit plant. These were 4x4 1 1/2 ton trucks from US army production.

This was of course by the end of 1941 and the vehicles I guess were the standard US military Chevrolet 4x4. I have no proof these were delivered, although I suspect they might have been.
A bit of a long shot, but it sounds like another contender for the "diverted shipment" category. It depends on whether the correspondence referred to the Dutch East or West Indies. The US supplied ample equipment to the West Indies, as Dutch Guiana (Surinam) was of strategic importance for its natural resources: throughout WW-II the Dutch Guiana mines produced 50% of the U.S. demand for bauxite, the raw material for aluminium.

Somehow Australia also got a number of those Chevrolet 1½-ton 4x4 G7100-series trucks - see "Yankee Joe" truck. The Aussie tippers shown below are not the standard G7106 Cargo Dump, the tipper/cargo body could well have been of Australian manufacture fitted to ex-Dutch delivery chassis/cabs, diverted to Australia?
Old 05-02-04, 15:21

The G-7016 was the Model NH 'Dump Less Winch', 1942. The pic might be of a DA contract, G-7116, Model NL, or Model Cab' G-7103. 1942.

Knowing that the NEI received Chevrolet trucks, and that GM of Canada were selling a GMC 4 x 4 to the Malay States, I think that the Maple Leaf 4 x 4 trucks were sent out from Antwerp before the invasion in 1940. Regrettably we know that many Chevrolet-DAF trucks were seized and then used as Umbauwagen by the Wehrmacht. However two at least 1940 Chevrolet-DAF gun tractors were shipped to England and then used by the Dutch army in the UK with Dutch-series WO census numbers. Bart published a photo in his article in W&T on DAF. The NEI trucks could have been either factory Canadian exports or the DAF-Trado conversions. We need to see a photo to check the drive shaft system.
Old 05-02-04, 17:03
MLU Administrator

Default 40mm AA gun tractor

Quote:
Originally posted by ericnuyt
Word is they were Canadian built Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton. My own research tells me they were used for towing 105mm Bofors howitzers, 75mm Krupp field guns and Bofors 40mm AA guns by KNIL. Some 200 were probably available, presumably all or almost all used on Java. In KNIL they were called Maple Leaf's.
Here's a picture of a 40mm AA gun - sadly without tractor! - captioned as follows:

"Natives of the Netherlands East Indies have long been on the alert against the expected Japanese aggression. They have realized for ten years that the natural wealth of their islands would eventually mean a Japanese move for "unification," and air raid defenses such as these have long been ready for action. The crew is composed of members of the Royal Netherlands Indian (sic) Army. During action they wear steel helmets, rather than the bamboo hats shown here."

Source: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsahtml/fahome.html
Digital ID: fsa 8b13123
Old 26-02-04, 14:54

Default New info

I have just found out that the NEI Government ordered 750 Chevrolet trucks from NV General Motors Java, in Priok, after May 1940.

A week after Pearl Harbor the plant was ordered to be moved 350 miles to Wonosari in the centre of the island, a move that took five days. Luckily 1941 Model Year truck production had been completed. 400 experienced workmen were involved inthe new plant and ten days later 15 trucks per day rolled off the new line rising to 30. Inputs were via a south shore located small port, Tjilatjap [the very congested only port still available]. By February 1942 the NEI Government placed an order for 2,000 trucks [which would have been through the Purchasing Commission in NYC & Washington], but the order was received too late to be fulfilled. 912 [gulp!] Chevrolet four-wheel drive trucks for the NEI Army were then on the water, 96 reached Java whilst the rest were diverted to Australia. Given the photo evidence, I would suggest that at least some were NE Model Chassis-Cabs.

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 27-02-04 at 08:14.
Old 26-02-04, 22:12
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Hi David, thanks very much for the revelation and the proof!

So we know for sure that some of these trucks (and they were most likely 4x4) did reach Java before the Japanese did. Their port of destination must have been Tjilatjap as well since it was the safest way of reaching Java by that time. The port was badly congested however with newly sent equipment.

That means you have basically solved both questions: the Canadian supplied, Dutch converted artillery tractors in 1940 and the 4x4 trucks ordered after the war in the Far East has started!

About the moved production plant: The Wonosari I found on my pre-war NEI-atlas is next to Djokjakarta, quite far from Tjilatjap. Maybe there was another place with the same name: do you have any more references to the place and its location?

Anyway, the move to Central Java was in retrospect a very bad move. Though many other facilities had moved there, including truck and car workshops, fuel and food stores etc. (especially around Djokja) Central Java was hastely evacuated by most KNIL troops after it became clear that no Allied reinforcements were on their way to the NEI. KNIL's 4th Infantry Regiment as well as the Second Mountain Artillery Battalion (AIIBerg) left the area for Western Java on Feb 22nd, leaving the long roads to Eastern Java (and now the Allies were beaten at sea, useless navybase of Soerabaja) extremely vulnerable or practically undefended.

Kind regards,

Nuyt
Old 27-02-04, 08:22

Default Wonosari

Nuyt, the simulated bamboo-camouflaged plant was apparently near the airbase at Surakarta manned apparently mostly by Australians, and that at Malang manned mostly by Americans. Does that locate it better? The General Motors Overseas Operations Regional Director, E.M. Van Voorhees was apparently incarecerated in a Japanese internment camp in the Philipines, together with several Manila office staff. H.A. Quade, the Managing Director of GM Java was also interned, although he could have escaped. I believe that he survived and then re-joined G.M.
Old 27-02-04, 10:10
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default GM plant(s)

Hi David, thanks for the references. Fascinating...

Djokjakarta and Surakarta are indeed close to each other. Nevertheless, it was still a 200 kilometer train and/or truckride to/from Tjilatjap port. (that's a lot for a Dutchman, but not a lot at all if you are from a bigger country...)

But now I have some new questions (sorry). You say:

"the simulated bamboo-camouflaged plant was apparently near the airbase at Surakarta manned apparently mostly by Australians, and that at Malang manned mostly by Americans"

Were there two GM plants by that time?

And David, if you allow me...
The 750 trucks ordered by KNIL after May 1940 were probably 1941 model year production. Is this the type that looked like the MS we discussed earlier? And what types were produced at the Wonosari plant in 1942?

Do you also have any data referring to GM Java light truck production, such as Chevrolet ambulances, light AA trucks as well as the number and types of GM chassis that were converted to overvalwagen APC's?

If I am asking to much just say so, but especially the subject regarding armoured GM overvalwagens is my prime research topic at the moment. If these overvalwagens (at least a 130 were built afaik) were indeed converted at the GM plant at Priok in 1940 we should all add a chapter to GM history dealing with armoured car/apc production. I mean, if the chassis was GM, the engine was as well as the production facility, why should these not be called GM armoured cars?

If you agree, I can start a new thread about these at the MLU armoured forum page.

Kind regards,
Nuyt
Old 27-02-04, 11:21

Default Reply 2 U

1. Djokjakarta and Surakarta are indeed close to each other. Nevertheless, it was still a 200 kilometer train and/or truckride to/from Tjilatjap port. (that's a lot for a Dutchman, but not a lot at all if you are from a bigger country...) REPLY: Apparently drinking water had to be brought in from miles away! There was no power so Diesel generators had top be comamandeered from all over Java. Now, I had not iced this before but because steel was in severe shortage, the production staff improvised an open-sided teakwood cab with canvas top whose construction was so simple it was farmed out to native craftsmen on neighbouring plantations! It was so serviceable that the KNIL standardised it for other truck makes. Oh! I forgot that the official designation of the 'Batavia' Plant was Tandjong Priok. The company was incorporated 3 February 1927 although production started in May 1927. The Plant Code was 'XQ'.

2. "the simulated bamboo-camouflaged plant was apparently near the airbase at Surakarta manned apparently mostly by Australians, and that at Malang manned mostly by Americans"
Were there two GM plants by that time? REPLY: No, just one but it escaped Japanese bombardment. Air raid alarms were frequent.

3. The 750 trucks ordered by KNIL after May 1940 were probably 1941 model year production. Is this the type that looked like the MS we discussed earlier? And what types were produced at the Wonosari plant in 1942? REPLY: there is no evidence but the 4 x 2 types would have been 1941 Models, and looking up my list of US Government contracts I suggest that the trucks without cabs were Modl MS Cowl with Windshield.

4. Do you also have any data referring to GM Java light truck production, such as Chevrolet ambulances, light AA trucks as well as the number and types of GM chassis that were converted to overvalwagen APC's? REPLY: no evidence at all I am afraid.

5. If I am asking to much just say so, but especially the subject regarding armoured GM overvalwagens is my prime research topic at the moment. If these overvalwagens (at least a 130 were built afaik) were indeed converted at the GM plant at Priok in 1940 we should all add a chapter to GM history dealing with armoured car/apc production. I mean, if the chassis was GM, the engine was as well as the production facility, why should these not be called GM armoured cars? REPLY: very interesting point! We know that there were armoured Chevrolet chassis used inthe Spanish Civil War, plus there were the 1935 Ford and Chevrolet armoured chassis in Canada. I would be very interested to know more please as will a US friend of mine.

6. As I said before the GM Priok Plant became a Toyota [truck?] plant and then reverted to GM post-war.

7. If you agree, I can start a new thread about these at the MLU armoured forum page. REPLY: definitely!
Old 27-02-04, 12:31

Default Pix identified?

The top pic # 1 appears to be a 1941 Model MS with the wooden cab? The # 2 and #3 front appear to be 1937-8 Chevrolets with a local cab, perhaps a 1940-41 rebuild by the Army?
Old 27-02-04, 14:19
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Thanks again, David.
I will compose a new post about the overvalwagens over the weekend, with a link to some pictures.

About Pic #2 identification: I have seen several Dutch/Daf? produced vehicles (for the NEI) with similar cab style, more specifically the "Stage coach" type open sides. (see for instance the Wheel and Tracks issue on the DAF-GM connection...
Was it an imported truck?

Kind regards,
Nuyt
Old 27-02-04, 14:22

Default Hmmm

I would have thought that the '37-38 Chevrolet was a chassis with flat-faced cowl, and CKD from Bloomfield Boxing Plant, New Jersey, with local assembly. The imported truck from Antwerpen would have the GM Continental design of steel cab.
Old 10-03-04, 15:35
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default 4x4 1 1/2 ton US military chevrolet in Batavia/jakarta 1945

Above I wrote:

"Here is a serial number on the left hand side of the bonnet (its a lhd vehicle) from one of the pictures (oct-nov 1945) : 330960 S and a bigger 76 on the side..."

While looking to the 4x4 govt contract David (thanks!) posted (chevypage3) I came upon the following entry 30B:

1 1/2 ton cab and cargo
Contract no W398QM9602
Bid 2 3076
type 1941 YR4103

Hmmm, Some numbers are evidently similar. Could the KNIL vehicle have been one of this contract? Was the 76 painted on the side at the plant and then the vehicle was shipped straight to the Indies?

Nuyt
Old 10-03-04, 15:42

Default Unlikely?

The delivery of all G.M.C./Chevrolet KNIL and other NEI vehicles including those procured from General Motors Corporation would have been to the GM Java plant as already described. Incidentally I would be interested to know who or where the Ford representatives were.

The contract referred to was of course of 1941 YR models, as also supplied to French contracts that were diverted to the UK [albeit with Thornton 6 x 4 conversions]. These were 4 x 2 trucks and not 4 x 4. Also all YRs were lhd it seems, whereas there were rhd MS series trucks, 4 x 2 that were for 'Export'. A candidate for the 4 x 4 trucks is the YP and YQ series which were 1941 Models and I think had the military type front end.

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 10-03-04 at 16:08.
Old 10-03-04, 15:48
Overvalwagen-o-logist

But I am talking about the 96 trucks that reached Java of the 912 diverted from US stocks in febraury 1942?

Nuyt
Old 10-03-04, 17:39

Default 1941 Model US Chevrolets

I had forgotten I had copies of US contract Chevrolet military truck photos.

1. 1941 MODEL YR Cargo 4 x 2

Compare with:
2. 1941-42 MODEL [Various as listed] Dump and Cargo 4 x 4

Note the US style front bumper which was a truck one for 1941 and not the car one.

3. The Holden-assembled equivalents seem to have used a major item, which looks more like a Canadian design. This is a YR Stake truck if US-sourced or a 1543 [or similar] if Canadian:

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 10-03-04 at 17:48.
Old 10-03-04, 17:46
Overvalwagen-o-logist

great pics,
but now I am confused:

1. what is the difference between MS en YR?

2. the second pic 1941-42 model is the type of truck I am talking about that was pictured in 1945 as possibly one of the survivors of the 96 deliverd in February 1942?

So KNIL had by March 1942:

- several types of pre-May 1940 imported Chevrolet and GMC from Europe (Antwerp, DAF and Rotterdam?);

- several models of Priok assembled Chevrolet trucks (late thirties and 1940);

- normal but stalled 1941 Priok assembly;

- 750 MS 4x2 trucks that were assembled at Wonosari;

- 96 4x4 Chevrolet trucks of 912 assigned (of 2000 ordered) in february 1942;

- unknown type and number of Chevrolet 4x2 or possibly 4x4 COE trucks converted to overvalwagens;

- and probably some more?

Nuyt