MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 27-06-04, 05:25
Vets Dottir

Question Portable stove? (burners/oven)

Do any of you know if there is such a thing as a
portable electric stove (with oven and top burners) that you can just plug in and go ???

There is no hook-up for a real stove and there IS a need for basic cooking/baking. I have absolutely NO idea what sorts of appliances are available or where to look and I hope for a better set-up than hotplate and small toaster oven and microwave . Any helpful advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Carman
Old 27-06-04, 05:28
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Portable stove? (burners/oven)

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Do any of you know if there is such a thing as a
portable electric stove (with oven and top burners) that you can just plug in and go ???

There is no hook-up for a real stove and there IS a need for basic cooking/baking. I have absolutely NO idea what sorts of appliances are available or where to look and I hope for a better set-up than hotplate and small toaster oven and microwave . Any helpful advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Carman
Carman;

Do you mean something like a counter-top model?

Also, there should be a standard outlet for an electric stove or the gas line hook-up in the kitchen area?

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 27-06-04 at 05:34.
Old 27-06-04, 05:43
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Portable stove? (burners/oven)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Carman;

Also, there should be a standard outlet for an electric stove or the gas line hook-up in the kitchen area?
Sitrep; (cool military term I know, eh? )

Woman is renting me her nicely finished basement, in which she put a full fridge, but there is NO hookup for kitchen stove, because its not really a kitchen. Just rooms. We're improvising (or trying to) hence the hoping to find something that can just be plugged in.

BTW ... beautiful SAFE residential home-owners area tucked into a cul de sac, lots of landscaped, planted yards etc... love it! I should b able to sleep again!

Anyhoo ... what will work for what I want?

I'm listening (thanks Mark!)
Old 27-06-04, 05:52
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Portable stove? (burners/oven)

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Sitrep; (cool military term I know, eh? )

Woman is renting me her nicely finished basement, in which she put a full fridge, but there is NO hookup for kitchen stove, because its not really a kitchen. Just rooms. We're improvising (or trying to) hence the hoping to find something that can just be plugged in.

BTW ... beautiful SAFE residential home-owners area tucked into a cul de sac, lots of landscaped, planted yards etc... love it! I should b able to sleep again!

Anyhoo ... what will work for what I want?

I'm listening (thanks Mark!)
Glad to hear it's in a safer area than before. Regarding portable stove, less range, the only things I can think of is a microwave, toaster oven and hotplate, I can't think of anything else that would fit your needs Have you thought of asking her, if maybe, the outlet for a standard stove could be installed?
Old 27-06-04, 05:52
Vets Dottir

Default Counter top model???

Quote:
Carman;

IS there such a thing as a counter top model
that has burners AND an oven? (You can sure tell I've never gone out appliance hunting except for apt washer/dryers you just plug in)
Old 27-06-04, 05:55
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Counter top model???

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
IS there such a thing as a counter top model
that has burners AND an oven? (You can sure tell I've never gone out appliance hunting except for apt washer/dryers you just plug in)
No, not that I'm aware of, I was just asking if that is what you meant in your original post.
Old 27-06-04, 06:00
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Portable stove? (burners/oven)

Quote:
Glad to hear it's in a safer area than before. Regarding portable stove, less range, the only things I can think of is a microwave, toaster oven and hotplate, I can't think of anything else that would fit your needs Have you thought of asking her, if maybe, the outlet for a standard stove could be installed?
I think her issue is how much money it would cost to get the work done for standard stove connections. I can't see myself living there for a long,long time, but certainly long enough to get a life going and get established here ... and look for a more completely self-contained place,taking my time.

Yeah ... I'm scared to death around THIS area. Too many people a hairs width from going postal or they're already there and waiting for someone to look at 'em the wrong way.

I flash to John, my youngests dad ... when living close to Haight Ashbury in his 4 story Victorian, he had a loaded hand gun on EVERY floor ... just in case. Amazing hey? Ain't no way to live.

back to you
Old 27-06-04, 06:04
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Portable stove? (burners/oven)

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
I think her issue is how much money it would cost to get the work done for standard stove connections. I can't see myself living there for a long,long time, but certainly long enough to get a life going and get established here ... and look for a more completely self-contained place,taking my time.

Yeah ... I'm scared to death around THIS area. Too many people a hairs width from going postal or they're already there and waiting for someone to look at 'em the wrong way.

I flash to John, my youngests dad ... when living close to Haight Ashbury in his 4 story Victorian, he had a loaded hand gun on EVERY floor ... just in case. Amazing hey? Ain't no way to live.

back to you
Sorry, have to go, Jennifer-Marie wants the computer, like YESTERDAY : , we'll have to pick this up tomorrow.

Cheers
Old 27-06-04, 06:17
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Portable stove? (burners/oven)

Quote:
Sorry, have to go, Jennifer-Marie wants the computer, like YESTERDAY : , we'll have to pick this up tomorrow.

Cheers
Hey Jennifer Marie ... you GO girl! Thanks for letting dear old Dad at the 'puter to talk to me for a while

Thanks Mark... talk tomorrow then. I'm going to go look for my new perfume "ESSENCE OF SKUNK" to keep the neighbor "hood" away from me!

(Hi DENISE!!!!!)

Old 27-06-04, 12:53
RIP

Default Salesman Bob to the Rescue

Hi Kartmann
Have I got a deal for you. A choice of three models and a bargain basement price.

Model 1 - Basic Bob
Attached Thumbnails
stove 1.jpg  
Old 27-06-04, 12:55
RIP

Default Stoves et al

Model 2
Deluxe Bob
Attached Thumbnails
stove 2.jpg  
Old 27-06-04, 12:57
RIP

Default Stoves et al et al

Model 3
Super deluxe Bob with tea billy
Attached Thumbnails
stove 3.jpg  
Old 27-06-04, 14:59
Senior Forum Member

Talking

Hi, I'm back, but your not here, so I guess I'll go for a
Old 27-06-04, 17:08
RIP

Default Stove installation

Hi Mark,
Just following your thread with Carmen.From the sounds of it,she's gotta get out of where she presently lives.Glad to hear she's moving to a better area.Good for you VD.As to a proper stove,the wiring is heavy duty,requiring,by law,installation by an electrician,plus the fact that heavy duty fuses are a necessity.This wud cost Carmen's landlord a pretty penny.As far as your suggestion of a microwave plus a portable oven and or hotplate,there again there's the problem of overheating the wiring,in lieu of professional eleectrical work.Also,if the local town inspector gets wind of portable appliances being used,there'll be hell to pay.Poor Carmen has herself a conundrum going.We all will have to help her work thru this one.
Regards
Garry
Old 06-07-04, 07:30
Vets Dottir

Default hot plates

Hi Garry, Mark, and others

1 Hotplate, 2 burner, $54.oo Superstore
1 Microwave oven ... a gift
1 Toaster oven ... a loaner
1 Coffee Maker ... seen better days
1 Great safe neighborhood ... can now sleep
1 Great yard ... except for mosquitos
2 Soon-to-be great legs ...
1 Happy Yappy ... alone and private space again in a non-threatening neighborhood with potential to develop really shapely short legs from bicycling to Superstore to buy groceries FLAT FLAT FLAT but the wind is a little bit of a struggle at times ...

For now ...my Wintrpeg Igloo ... this is my life

Shush!

Happy Yappy
Old 06-07-04, 23:01
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: hot plates

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Hi Garry, Mark, and others

1 Hotplate, 2 burner
1 Microwave oven
1 Toaster oven
1 Coffee Maker
1 Great safe neighborhood
1 Happy Yappy ... alone and private space again in a non-threatening neighborhood
Happy Yappy
Are you living in a BUNKER ? or a basement apartment

Old 07-07-04, 07:26
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Stoves et al et al

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Moseley
Model 3
Super deluxe Bob with tea billy
Hey BoB ... this one looks like a coffee-maker ... a little primitive looking, but hey, who cares. I'm after the kick, not the status of latte and a flick-of-my-politically-socially=correct wrist as I sip and vote .... Liber-effen-al ... I have NEVER been correct unless it suits me to be so.....

My "seen better days coffee maker" will never see another coffee-making day, so please, be a real love, send me one of your tea billy's which I shall promptly convert to coffee billy duty ... in my new BUNKER ABODE thenyou can come visit and bottom's up the mugs of brew... caffiene or otherwise!... (BUNKER! to you Mark-O BUNKO )

send schnell.

Woof-yip-yap-yoohoo-hooey
Old 07-07-04, 15:06
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Stoves et al et al

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Hey BoB ... this one looks like a coffee-maker ... a little primitive looking, but hey, who cares. I'm after the kick, not the status of latte and a flick-of-my-politically-socially=correct wrist as I sip and vote .... Liber-effen-al ... I have NEVER been correct unless it suits me to be so.....

My "seen better days coffee maker" will never see another coffee-making day, so please, be a real love, send me one of your tea billy's which I shall promptly convert to coffee billy duty ... in my new BUNKER ABODE thenyou can come visit and bottom's up the mugs of brew... caffiene or otherwise!... (BUNKER! to you Mark-O BUNKO )

send schnell.

Woof-yip-yap-yoohoo-hooey
We're to late to save her...... "Bunker Mentality" has already taken hold......... : ...........
Old 07-07-04, 19:59
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Stoves et al et al

Quote:
We're to late to save her...... "Bunker Mentality" has already taken hold......... : ...........
Ah, yessss, wait for it my friend, I've only just begun perhaps? Time will tell.

Oh... no need bars on the ONE window downunder in here. I'm bunkered down quite safely I'll have you know. Except of course, if theres a fire upstairs. Oh dear Crispy Yappy Karmen Critter, that don't sound too good (actually, I'm small enuf to get thru if I need to! I'm pretty powerful when the adrenalin surges! You'll ken well to remember that if yore round me whilst I have that cast iron skillet in me clutching wee hand.

Old 08-07-04, 09:01
RIP

Default Tea Billy

Hi Kartmann
PM me your address and we'll see what Salesman Bob and Santa can come up with.
Bob
Old 08-07-04, 19:04
Vets Dottir

Talking

Everyone is asking for my address now! Told you guys and gals, close to the Buffalo herd. Or just ask any old settler in the Red River Settlement.. they'll know which bunker is mine

(PM with bunker location on it's way master Bob-M)

Yappy K.
Old 08-07-04, 19:09
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Everyone is asking for my address now!
GEE! DON'T LET IT GO TO YOUR HEAD NOW OR ANYTHING!!!!.............
Old 08-07-04, 19:54
Vets Dottir

Default Head?

Head? What head? I lost mine in the last neighbor "hood" I lived in. Please send new one. One without bags under the eyes, and with flaming red hair! Oh...send a kilt too just for the heck of it (hold the piper til my bunker is fit for company please!!) And send some cans of Khaki paint for the walls to set off the highlites in the flaming red hair! Thanks, yours most humbly, Yappy
Old 02-08-04, 08:39
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Tea Billy

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Moseley
Hi Kartmann
PM me your address and we'll see what Salesman Bob and Santa can come up with.
Bob
A little OZ Red Cross parcel arrived Saturday morning to Kartmann's bunker from Salesman Bob...

1 Package of BILLY TEA -to warm me innards,perk me brain, and smells droolingly GREAT!
1 TEA BILLY to billy me tea, mate ... shall need to learn "HOW TO BILLY TEA"
1 Package of ANZAC BISCUITS ... to dunk in me STRONG BUSH CUPPA and fillme tummy
1 sized Military Vehicle CJ-2A JEEP to drive round me firepit I dug in the middle of me bunker floor while MY BILLY BOILS ...

Ah ... heavenly bliss!
Now all I need is an MLU Tea mug, the Year Of the Blitz to watch while enjoying a bit of Australia and MLU niceness while sitting in me Jeep, in my Canadian bunker downunder ground, from the DownUnder ...

SAlESMAN BOB - SANTA ..... Mate, I am AB-SO-BLOODY-LUTE-LY
DELIGHTED!

Thank You Bob, for your wonderful thoughtful gesture and the perks you've sent me ... I'll enjoy them with the flavour of Australia and will feel like I'm from OZ ... right here

Old 02-08-04, 12:16
RIP

Default Billy Tea Recipe

Hi Kartmann
Put a handful of tea in the billy and fill with water. Now true Oz billy tea also contains a couple of eucalyptus (gum) leaves, but I couldn't send those for quarantine reasons. Boil the billy, take off the heat and swing the billy around several times in an arc to settle the tea leaves in the bottom. Drink and enjoy whilst dunking the bikkies.
Bushman Bob
Old 02-08-04, 12:44
Vets Dottir

Talking Cool

I'll have great FUN swinging the billy ...I LOVE to dance (thats how I get much exercise)

Thanks BUSHMAN BOB
Old 03-08-04, 21:37
48th Highlander

Default WW2 cooking inovation

Karman
I think I have the solution for your kitchen. But be forwarned, this may not pass the fire inspecters so be sure and have the emergency truck stand by.
In Italy we resorted to a quick and easy way to heat and cook with the materials at hand, mainly gas, sand, large tea containers and a gerry can.
I may be slightly incorrect and I am sure some old vets will bring this out. Now, we used to take those old large tea containers, cut them in half, fill them full of sand and pour a couple of gallons of gas in. Then take a gerry can, fill it to about one quarter with gas punch a fine hole near the top then seal the cap down tight , ignite the sand in the tea container set the gerry can on top of the tea can then hold your finger over the small hole until the gerry can starts to expand then ignite the expanding gas coming out of the hole. Now you have a great cooking flame and when you are through you can use the flaming sand as an ideal heating system. This worked out great until a couple of the gerry cans exploded and there was an order issued, cease and desist. Thus a whole new industry failed.
I strongly suspect that too much vino caused the failure of this wonderful ingenious device.
Old 03-08-04, 23:30
Vets Dottir

Talking Cool

Cool, Norm, or should I say HOT:
I'd be able to cook my dinner AND heat my bunker AND exert a little revenge! Fire things up a bit.

Yes ... insurance policies sure can kill resourcefulness and just plain fun, eh?
Old 19-08-04, 04:43
Vets Dottir

Default Antidote to premature rigormortis

I'm pleased to say that I now have a bunker warmer, just in time too, as I was about to really dig the firepit in the middle of the floor...

Now, ken ye dig this? ...

Oscillating Tower Heater with Remote Jest warms me wee bittie Pixie parts and puts a smile on me wee bittie Pixie face .... I feel the premature rigormortis leaving as I 2-finger type ...

Pixie Witch Bliss ...
Old 03-01-07, 23:49
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Tea Billy

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
A little OZ Red Cross parcel arrived Saturday morning to Kartmann's bunker from Salesman Bob...

1 Package of BILLY TEA -to warm me innards,perk me brain, and smells droolingly GREAT!
1 TEA BILLY to billy me tea, mate ... shall need to learn "HOW TO BILLY TEA"
1 Package of ANZAC BISCUITS ... to dunk in me STRONG BUSH CUPPA and fillme tummy
1 sized Military Vehicle CJ-2A JEEP to drive round me firepit I dug in the middle of me bunker floor while MY BILLY BOILS ...

Ah ... heavenly bliss!
Now all I need is an MLU Tea mug, the Year Of the Blitz to watch while enjoying a bit of Australia and MLU niceness while sitting in me Jeep, in my Canadian bunker downunder ground, from the DownUnder ...

SAlESMAN BOB - SANTA ..... Mate, I am AB-SO-BLOODY-LUTE-LY
DELIGHTED!

Thank You Bob, for your wonderful thoughtful gesture and the perks you've sent me ... I'll enjoy them with the flavour of Australia and will feel like I'm from OZ ... right here

Hey, BUSHMAN BOB, do you remember THESE

Ma Yappy :
Attached Thumbnails
bushman bobs gifts to ma yappy.jpg