MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 02-04-12, 01:30
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Accommodation stories

A lot of us travel around for work and CMP purposes. In my case I can sometimes mix business with visiting my MLU friends driving around Australia (and the rest of the world).
Sometimes I have had the pleasure of staying with people, and on Saturday I was fortunate to share a meal with carrier collector Ric Malaspina in Casula near Sydney (thanks, Ric).
I had planned to stay with my daughter in Balmain, but weariness dictated I find a motel, and I found a beauty!
It looked OK from the outside, but I should have heeded the warning signs when the reception door was unbolted (at least 3 locks) by someone looking like the type who rides threatening motorcycles wearing death head jackets.
I paid, and was told to park next to the red Camry, the only other car there.
When I opened the graffiti door this was the sight that greeted me:

And looking back the other way:

Clearly this was going to be an interesting stay.

So after emptying anything of value from the car, I slept with one eye open on the bed built of concrete and chipboard with a 2" foam mattress.

The ceiling in the bathroom was collapsing and lots of healthy mould was growing there.

About 3 something woke me (probably the effects of passive smoking from the carpets and drapes) and this was on the bathroom window:

Other enterprising spiders had colonised the spare rolls of toilet paper, fortunately there was just enough left for me to safely use.

In the morning I thought I'd watch the news on the 1970s TV:

And this was on the inside of the wardrobe:

It was nice to see someone creative had been there in the past.

There was a jug for boiling water but someone had stolen the crockery, fridge and also the remote for the air conditioner. They had also taken the towel rails and most other more portable items. I contemplated vandalising the TV to get into the swing of things but remembering the check-in guy I thought better of it.

I was surprised and relieved to find my car still there in the morning without smashed windows.

But something was missing... and as I loaded the car I heard a screaming match between a man and woman somewhere in another room. My satisfaction was then complete. It was the best $80 I had spent in a long time.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 02-04-12, 01:37
Film maker, CMP addict

Default What others had written

I thought I'd have a look to see if anyone had written a review and found several on the Total Travel website:

Quote:
This motel should be not be registered it is absolutely filthy, mould on the carpets, graffiti on the walls, doors & fridge, horrible. It was late at night when we booked in, I asked if the rooms were clean and was assured they were by reception, I paid $90.00 cash wasn't given a receipt, after seeing the room I decided there was no way I would sleep there no matter how tired I was, I asked for a refund but was denied. Could not afford to pay for another motel so had to drive 2 hours home.
Another:

Quote:
What an absolute horror-show. Tags dating from 2005 on the back of a doors peppered with fist-holes. A kettle, two saucers and a table-spoon.
A selection of cockroach species and parasitic bed-life. Domestos is a good suggestion but I'd be taking a can of "Spray-n-burn". Artillery support would be even better. Be prepared to call it down on your own coordinates.
Smashed shelves, hundreds of ciggy burns, and urine?... stains ring the walls as you recline on your mirror-accompanied concrete plinth. You will not receive a selection of herbal teas. It had a telly and a fridge. They were good.
I also enjoyed the way the insect life reacted in a quite advanced manner- one moment scattering to the four points and then, the next, approaching as if attempting to communicate. I met their leader, and in return for some sugar they agreed stand the morning watch in case anyone tried to take one of my kidneys. Send your enemies there. (Date of experience: Jan, 2011 )
Quote:
Only a place for insects! We booked in advance without looking at the room first as there is no images online(You'll hear why)...Very deceiving from the road. We walked into a very cold, dark and gloomy reception office and were welcomed by a scruffy man who looked at us and said "Yes", No "hello" no nothing just "yes"..Our name wasnt on his list, he asked us what price we were given?..The door to our room wouldnt open with the key because the handle continued to turn continuously in the clockwise position so we were given the room next door instead. I dont how much better the last room was but this one was full of filth. There were names, swearwords and holes all over the bathroom.( Not something you'd want your eight year old daughter to read), The carpet looked like it had never had a vacumn!, The fan on the right side of the big round dirty looking bed was riddled with insects and god knows what else!..The room was cold, there was no heating, the toilet hadnt been washed in 50 years!... The curtain rails fell to the ground when we tried to open them. Just across the other side, we could see other residents doing drug deals... The carpark was full of rubbish!.. Not somewhere I would suggest anyone with a heartbeat should stay!... Not even a place to send your worse enemy!!!There are many reasons you will not see any images online, because he wouldnt get any customers except druggies and prossies!.. This place should be shut down, IT IS A HEALTH HAZARD!.. We would have all slept in our car if we didnt find something else!!!!! How you people could think this much of your customers is beyond me! Sorry ratings dont go any less than one!!! Damn! (Date of experience: Jul, 2011 )

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 02-04-12, 09:44
WO8 C15A 142736

You lead an interesting life Keith
Old 02-04-12, 11:30
Tony Baker

Default Stopovers in Hell

Hey Keith, were there any of those body shaped white outlines around anywhere?

Do you often find yourself in a demilitarised zone?
Old 02-04-12, 11:36
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Body outlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_collector View Post
Hey Keith, were there any of those body shaped white outlines around anywhere?

Do you often find yourself in a demilitarised zone?
I'm sure there would have been plenty there in the past.

It really was like being in a horror film. I'm considering staying there again just for the thrill.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 02-04-12, 12:05
Tony Baker

Default Delightful acommodation stays

When on holidays in central Queensland in 2008, we stayed at a caravan & cabin park in the gem fields. The manager was in her 80s and had a REALLY bad attitude for someone in hospitality industry. The day we were departing, she didn't even show up at reception to get the key back. I'm reasonably certain that wasn't because she was cleaning one of the cabins

Click image for larger version

Name:	shower screen 1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	48181
Screen was like this on all sides. It did take the focus off the mould on tiles and floor.

Name:	air-con.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	48182
We did turn this on, out of curiosity. It worked but the sound was deafening.

Name:	exhaust fan.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	48183
Well the owner was elderly. Possibly with cataracts & arthritis.

Name:	sugar bowl.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	48184
Would you eat sugar out of this bowl?

Name:	water container.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	48185
Or drink water from this container?

It happens
Old 03-04-12, 02:35

Keith,

Sorry about the confusion. You should have turned left at the lights not right. You were actually on the set of 'Underbelly' 2012

cheers

Phill
Daimler Ferret Mk 2
Land Rover S2A Field Workshop
Land Rover S3 FItted For Radio x2
Land Rover Perentie GS (SASR)
International No 1 Mk 3 2.5 Ton 4x4
International No 1 Mk 4 2.5 Ton 4x4
Old 03-04-12, 15:37

Keith,

And you STAYED???????

Words fail me........

Mike C

(Co-proprieter of the former Linton Resort, Gunning...., now of Chateau Colbert, where your suite awaits your arrival)
Old 04-04-12, 12:49
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Wink Accommodation Stories

I have a story or two, but I'm afraid Keith & Tony have set the bar a little high!
I have not encountered anything like these two fine examples!
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 04-04-12, 13:11
Blitzed

Default motels

Wow. Those pics leave you speechless.

Here's a couple. Not of motels but of a very long disused area of a workplace that was opened up after years of being locked up. Would you shower here? Or work at this desk?
Attached Thumbnails
room1.jpg   room2.jpg  
Old 09-04-12, 02:25
Toby Baillie

For a bit of contrast, here's a few from my trip to Vietnam last year. They are of the Majestic in Saigon.
Attached Thumbnails
V1.jpg   V2.jpg   V3.jpg  
Old 09-04-12, 14:22
MLU Administrator

Keith,

You must have been desparate to stay there! Or were you looking for a good story to turn into a horror movie?

If I run into filthy roadside toilets, I go outside and use a tree. . .

H.
Old 10-04-12, 04:00
Terry Warner

Default hotel stories

A fellow I know once had to announce that he was armed and ready to shoot if two louts didn't stop banging on his door. Canadians normally don't travel with handguns, but he was on military duty and had reason to draw a 9mm. The next day he asked the motel clerk what was going on, and was told there were some Military Police(!) investigating something or other.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!