MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 21-08-03, 08:58
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default Paint

Just a reply to Aervoe paint, no offense intended to anyone, including Brian, but Aervoe paint is garbage. Personally I like the stuff from Gillespie Coatings. An even better paint is to use an actual vehicle paint such as that supplied by autobody supply houses, who can mix whatever colour your heart desires. It just comes down to how picky you are and the application of your vehicle.
Old 21-08-03, 15:59
Chev44

Default Aervoe

Care to be a bit more specific than just venting a subjective opinion??

Adhesion appears to be good when applkied on a properly prepared surface.
I haven't had any problems so far, with he exception that it can be marred by handling too soon after painting, like any other paint. But then most matt paints are that way....

Don
Old 21-08-03, 17:49
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default Quality

I have done my fair share of painting using various types of paint, and yes you are quite cooect in that proper preparation is the key to a good job. Specifically, Aervoe paint has the following downfalls- marring, does not stand up to wear like some others do, is very "thin" on application, time will tell as well as this paint "chalks" quite quickly. What I refer to is that some paints are more succeptable to light (sun) and will lose colour and fade. I am by no means an expert in hte field of paint, it would take a lifetime to learn. Over the years it's kind of been a pet project to learn as much as I can from as many different sources, and of course everyone has a different opinion. Others examples I can give are taht paints vary as much as anything else, typically latexes are very soft, enamels then urethanes, being the toughest. Within a group (enamels) you can see for yourself- Tremclad always is kinda soft- "plastic like" whereas an automotive paint is tougher. Just an opinion, that's all.
Old 25-08-03, 22:51

Default Spray Cans?

Are there any sources for "olive drab" in spray bombs? A spray bomb in my opinion would be ideal for doing very small items ... nuts and bolts for example or minor pieces that are not worth mixing paint and getting your gun dirty.

I have not heard of the paints you have mentioned above although the personal feedback is appreciated.
Old 25-08-03, 23:34
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default Spray bombs

Stewart, if you're not too fussy, Canadian Tire now carries a spray bomb in flat olive drab that's not too bad a colour. I beleive it is a Krylon product, initially intended I guess for outdoorsmen who want to paint their duck boats etc. Also, most reputable automotive paint supply places can put whatever your paint mix is into a spray bomb for you at a nominal fee. I know of at least one place here in Guelph that will do it, so there must be others out there.
Old 26-08-03, 14:47

Default Spray Cans

Ah yes ... Chris you are correct. There are numerous paint suppliers that will provide a spay can of your preferred color. I know of several in my area. Now is the hard task of determining what the correct color is ... and I won't try opening up that can of worms so to speak. I have some areas with excellent examples of the original paint which I can use to get a color match.

Thanks for the tip. My forgetter is working quite well you can see.

PS - No update on the wireless body yet. I have yet to find the time to get back and talk to the owner more.
Old 28-08-03, 17:23
In Vino Veritas

Default Paint cans

There are all numbers of suppliers in the states that will sell you spray bombs in US or nato colours. MVPA lists a bunch. They have to be shipped by truck though and some will only ship in summer, to avoid spoilage by freezing.
Sean
Old 28-08-03, 20:26

Default Canadian Tire Krylon...... beware

I have used 2 cans of the green OD sold by CTC on a M101 trailer to do touch up.... looked good when wet... did not cover very well... needed 2 and 3rd coat to hide properly the white paint markings from Crown Assets inventory numbers....... BUT... by the end of the Summer the paint faded... and is still fading to a light moss green.... trailer now looks like hell.... or pourly camouflaged......

May have been a bad lot but will not use it again

So far have made limited use of Aero spray cans with very good results.... sprayed directly over tacky POR 15.... good coverage.... good coloring...good flat matt finish..... and oddly enough a very good match to the various original green patches discovered during disassembly. Certainly very convenient for smaller parts ..... will be testing the gallon of Gillespie soon both with brush and spray.

I assume that all matt finish will mare with use as in real life army situations.... except for museum pieces that are not to be touched, I expect some shine to develop near fender's edges... door handle area.... gas tank cap... hood..etc... to me it makes it look real.

My 5 cents worth!!!
Canada
Old 29-08-03, 14:38

Thanks for the info based on real-life experiences Bob! Where did you purchase your Aero spray cans? I'm in the preliminary stages anyway so some "testing" won't hurt. Also where did you purchase your Gillespie from? You're in the Ottawa area? I think I may be in Ottawa this weekend - depends on a number of factors but right now that's how it is shaping up. Thanks!
Old 29-08-03, 21:29

Default Pain(t)

My Aero spray came from Brian Ashbury at the Ottawa show..... also got some Gillespie from Markus the Jeep guy.

Best deal so far was to purchase on site at the Weare N.H. army truck show last July....

Gillespie gallon is 65 CDN and only $24 US....also bought additional Aero spray cans....

The major savings comes from picking up as oppose to paying the approx. $28 US Environmental spillage fee associated with shipping.....

Will be home all weekend... in and out of the House..... if you care to sniff old grease give me a call 487-3787.... I am located 40 km East of Ottawa off the 417......
Canada
Old 02-09-03, 20:15

Bob,

Didn't make it to your place but did manage to stop in at Vimy House for a quick tour. Got some good pictures and some motivation from that excursion. Thanks for your offer and if I am in your neck of the woods will try to give you a call (in advance of course).

Stew