Old 12-03-07, 12:34
Vets Dottir

Unhappy Damned Theives

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr .............

Quote:
March 12, 2007

Thieves steal vet's medals

By JON WILLING, SUN MEDIA

Ken Larcombe, a retired RAF flight lieutenant, is “disturbed” after a pair of scruffy men snuck into his south-end retirement home and stole a briefcase full of memories — including his flight log and three WWII service medals. (A.D. Wilson, Sun Media)
OTTAWA - Ken Larcombe waited more than six decades to receive his war medals, only to have thieves sneak into his retirement residence this weekend and take them away.

"I was planning to have them fixed up so I could wear them on my blazer," Larcombe said last night, about 24 hours after his medals and other priceless items went missing from his room at a south-end retirement home.

"I've been here five years and I never lock my door," he said. "I do now."

Larcombe, 82, said the thieves snuck around the rooms Saturday as residents enjoyed their supper at the facility, which is in the South Keys area.

Ottawa police learned cash, jewelry and credit cards went missing in that time. Two other residents also reported thefts from their rooms.

MEMORABILIA, WILL

A black briefcase full of a life's work went missing from Larcombe's room. But that wasn't all. Inside were three World War II service medals Larcombe received about a month ago.

A wartime flight lieutenant in the Royal Air Force, Larcombe only recently applied to have his medals shipped to him. He was looking forward to showing them off next Remembrance Day.

"It looks as though I'm unfortunate," the veteran said.

The briefcase was full of other priceless items: Larcombe's flying log from the war, his squadron crest, a tin box with buttons and badges from his uniform, coins, his will and research on his family tree.

The retired Ottawa elementary school teacher said he felt a wave of pride when he finally received his medals. Two recognize service in the allied forces' victory and service in the European theatre operations.

"None of them I can replace," he said.

After receiving flight training in Canada in 1942, Larcombe returned to England to fight in the war. In one operation, his plane was shot down; all but one of the seven passengers escaped with their lives.

RESIDENTS 'DISTURBED'

Larcombe hopes the thieves will realize they have stolen a set of irreplaceable memories.

"Hopefully, they will throw it (the briefcase) away and someone will find it and report it to the police."

Everyone at the retirement residence is "disturbed" that thieves would target the elderly, Larcombe said.

For the residents' safety, police aren't naming which retirement home was hit.

According to police, the suspects are two "scruffy" males wearing workman's clothing. One is about 5-foot-10, 180 lbs. with brown hair and a brown moustache. The other is about 5-foot-7, 170 lbs. with brown hair.

Anyone with information can call east division detectives at 613-236-1222, ext. 3566, or Crime Stoppers at 613-233-TIPS (8477).
Old 12-03-07, 17:38
RIP

I have contacted the paper and have offered to provide a replacement set of, mounted, medals to this vet. The paper has called back and the process is in motion.
Old 12-03-07, 17:45
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Fine Move...

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
I have contacted the paper and have offered to provide a replacement set of, mounted, medals to this vet. The paper has called back and the process is in motion.
Clive

Maybe we can present them at a gather up at Gracies..
Well bring pictures and the old lad would like that..
I'm sure the old lad would like that and I volunteer driving duties..I have a new car which we will go pick him up in fine style..
and you and I will deliver..
I'm in..
Can you make this happen..
I'm sure that the ROTers and Gracies could get some good press out of this..Of course the citizen could be notified..I have the writer..
Let me know.

Old 12-03-07, 18:02
FIOR GO BAS

Good on you Clive. If there is something I can do to help, just ask.

I have to wonder....am I to understand he survived being shot down? If this was a parachute event, would he not have had the gold Catapiller as well??
Old 12-03-07, 18:15
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: replacement set & mounting

Quote:
Are you accepting donations towards making this happen Clive?
Old 12-03-07, 18:38
RIP

Default Re: Re: replacement set & mounting

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Are you accepting donations towards making this happen Clive?
Shouldn't be necessary (unless I have to replace a VC) but thanks for the offer.
I will certainly thnk about doing this at Gracie's but we will have to invite the Sun - not the Citizen.
Good question about the Caterpillar - are reproductions available?
Old 12-03-07, 20:28

Default Re: Re: Re: replacement set & mounting

Quote:
Shouldn't be necessary (unless I have to replace a VC) but thanks for the offer.
I will certainly thnk about doing this at Gracie's but we will have to invite the Sun - not the Citizen.
Good question about the Caterpillar - are reproductions available?
Clive

Just ask...I'm your bat man and chaufeur...and I'm sure the ROTters would show him a rousing time..
Keep me posted and The Sun it is..
Donations are available on request.
There is enough of us military guys to make some sense and Boobee will wear his Capitan Canada suit.or what eever role he is playing that week..
It'll be a momentous occasion..Maybe we can even get the RSM up from NB...and a pound of moustasche wax..
'Tis a foine t'ing you're doin',fer sure...!!

Old 12-03-07, 21:15
Vets Dottir

Quote:
You're wonderful Clive!!!!! Thank you for acting so fast and posting, as I half expected many of you would be so upset for this Vet Mr. Larcombe

MLU-ers ... care enough to do something!

Karmen
Old 12-03-07, 21:28

Default Gracies

Alex; I will be in town 9-10 Apr. I saw the word "Gracies" and knew I'd have to come up. MTF
Cheers, Bill
Old 12-03-07, 22:52

Default Re: Gracies

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mulholland
Alex; I will be in town 9-10 Apr. I saw the word "Gracies" and knew I'd have to come up. MTF
Cheers, Bill
Best news I heard all day..I'm sure the entertain ment chaiman will pick up on this and call fourth the troops..
New Wheels to drag you around now..The red rocket broke a timing belt so I gave it to my mechanic and bought a new one..
9-10 April..??Short trip..
Looks like a Monday night gig..

Looks like a do is in the wind for Vet Lacombe..Clive is on top of that part of the agenda..
The rum is not evaporating..ageing is the word..and the tea will be on..

Old 13-03-07, 03:00
Vets Dottir

Interesting how another story about a WW2 Vets Medals (US Marines but living in Canada now) is in the news today as well ... this time this Gentleman's Medals are "lost in the mails" it appears .... I hope they track them down for this guy but I doubt it as more bastard theives at work here!!!!!!!!

Karmen

Quote:
Canada Post searching for missing WWII medals
Updated Mon. Mar. 12 2007 8:29 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Canada Post is investigating after a decorated veteran of the Second World War lost his medals in the mail, when he tried to send them to his daughter in California.

Russell Farrell, who served with the U.S. Marines and now lives in Digby, N.S., endured some of the most intense fighting of the war.

Farrell's unit had barely arrived on a beach in Guam when his captain was killed and he was injured.

"I got halfway up the hill when I got hit in this leg and it opened up," he said, showing his left knee. "But I don't know if it was a bullet or shrapnel."

After Farrell recovered, he rejoined his unit for one of the fiercest fights the Marines have ever seen: the battle of Iwo Jima.

Farrell also remembers seeing the American flag famously hoisted on the Japanese island's highest point, and captured in an Associated Press photograph.

The 86-year-old veteran said the flag offered a glimpse of hope.

"I looked back and I saw the flag flying from Mount Suribachi, and I was glad of that. Because it meant you weren't going to get any more heavy fire from there," Farrell told CTV Atlantic.

Farrell suffered two more wounds during the war, earning him several military decorations for his courage, including two Purple Hearts.

Last month, Farrell decided to send six medals and several war photographs to his daughter Judy Farrell in California.

He carefully marked the package "Medals and Photographs" and had the items registered and insured.

But the medals never arrived at their destination; only ribbons and pictures.

"When I opened the box, I could see the frame and medals were gone," said Judy Farrell by phone. "I was devastated; I was heartbroken."

Post offices on both sides of the border are investigating what happened, although there is nothing on the medals to link them specifically to Farrell.

"The investigation started this morning," said Canada Post spokesperson Genevieve Latour.

The apparent theft has shocked Farrell.

"I was disappointed that someone would actually steal something like that," said Farrell.

With a report by CTV Atlantic's Rick Grant
Old 13-03-07, 16:17
RIP

I am still waiting to hear which medals need to be replaced. From the initial story I think that it is the 39-45 War Medal, the 39-45 Star and the F&G Star.

Today's Ottawa Sun article
Old 13-03-07, 18:41
FIOR GO BAS

Quote:
I am still waiting to hear which medals need to be replaced. From the initial story I think that it is the 39-45 War Medal, the 39-45 Star and the F&G Star.

Today's Ottawa Sun article
I would think that you are correct Clive. I also believe the fellow was a Brit, therefore the 39-45 War medal would be the british Cupro-Nickle version, as opposed to our Canadian issued silver one.

I am certain you will keep us all advised of what is going on, but please be sure you to.
Old 13-03-07, 19:21
RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by Pylon1357
I would think that you are correct Clive. I also believe the fellow was a Brit, therefore the 39-45 War medal would be the british Cupro-Nickle version, as opposed to our Canadian issued silver one.

I am certain you will keep us all advised of what is going on, but please be sure you to.

Cliff,
The medal entitlement is as I suspected. Although his War Medal was a Brit-issue I have already promised hima Canadian one - I explained that it takes a better shine
The gentleman was overjoyed and thanked me several times although I told him that this was my thanks to him for what he did 60+ years ago. The second Sun article caught me by surprise as I specifically told the paper that I didn't want any publicity over this.
David Hiorth, of Army Outfitters in Toronto, has taken on the responsibility for providing the actual medals and of mounting these. He is refusing any compensation but I am sure that he will allow me to buy a few rounds when I am next in Toronto.
With any luck I will be able to present the medals by mid next week.
Thanks to everyone for their offers to donate, assist, etc...
Old 13-03-07, 19:43

Default Clive-o

Quote:
Cliff,
The medal entitlement is as I suspected. Although his War Medal was a Brit-issue I have already promised hima Canadian one - I explained that it takes a better shine
The gentleman was overjoyed and thanked me several times although I told him that this was my thanks to him for what he did 60+ years ago. The second Sun article caught me by surprise as I specifically told the paper that I didn't want any publicity over this.
David Hiorth, of Army Outfitters in Toronto, has taken on the responsibility for providing the actual medals and of mounting these. He is refusing any compensation but I am sure that he will allow me to buy a few rounds when I am next in Toronto.

Well done Clive..
Is this going to be a Gracies presentation venue..??

Old 13-03-07, 22:28
FIOR GO BAS

Quote:
Cliff,
Thats excellent news Clive. Inspite of what many say about Dave, In my opinion he is a very lad. Good on you both for making this happen so fast.

My offer still stands, If you need any further assistance let me know. We are both Ottawa lads so travel isn't an issue.
Old 15-03-07, 13:15
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default 9-10 Apr Rotting at Gracies

Hi all:

I should be back on Sun 8 Apr and will be aval for the gathering.

Bravo Zulu to all involved.

The Sun article mentions "passengers" and I wonder if they don't understand the difference between pax and crew or did our vet fly transports? (Clive: I know you've thought of it but is he entitled to the Aircrew Europe bar?)

Mil veh scene here is non-existant but I have lots of neat photos of the national independence day parade and roll past plus some '50s Brit armour used as gate guards (Saladin and Ferret).

I'll print up an MLU page and take a photo at one of the forts.

Cheers! Meltin' Mike in Ghana
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 16-03-07, 18:45
RIP

The gentleman whose medals were stolen called me last night to say that they had been found. They were located under his bed and it is unsure if the logbook and other items were still there. It appears that the thieves may have thrown them out when rifling the briefcase - which has not been found.
My thanks to everyone for their kind offers. Thanks to Marway and Army Outfitters who both offfered to replace the medals - I accepted Dave Hiorth's kind offer but will now return those medals to him.
I have offered to meet Mr Larcombe on Saturday morning and I have told him that I would like to take his medals and get them mounted. He was very moved by this. In fact, he couldn't get over the number of calls he received from across Canada offering support.
Thanks again.
Old 16-03-07, 19:11
Mr. HUP

Default Well done, Clive.

Quote:
The gentleman whose medals were stolen called me last night to say that they had been found. They were located under his bed and it is unsure if the logbook and other items were still there. It appears that the thieves may have thrown them out when rifling the briefcase - which has not been found.
My thanks to everyone for their kind offers. Thanks to Marway and Army Outfitters who both offfered to replace the medals - I accepted Dave Hiorth's kind offer but will now return those medals to him.
I have offered to meet Mr Larcombe on Saturday morning and I have told him that I would like to take his medals and get them mounted. He was very moved by this. In fact, he couldn't get over the number of calls he received from across Canada offering support.
Thanks again.
BZ to you Clive for taking up this cause.
Old 16-03-07, 20:48
Vets Dottir

Quote:
The gentleman whose medals were stolen called me last night to say that they had been found. They were located ....

Thanks again.
Excellent news to hear he has his medals after all! I just found this story from todays news with more information about them. I'm just very glad to know he found the briefcase with them and I hope they catch the guys who broke in ...

Karmen

Quote:
March 16, 2007

Veteran finds medals

By JON WILLING -- Sun Media

OTTAWA -- Ken Larcombe, the World War II vet who lost his service medals last weekend, has recovered the briefcase that holds the priceless objects.

Larcombe, 82, found the briefcase yesterday afternoon under his bed, stashed behind a sweater he was looking for.

"Everything is in there," Larcombe said.

His South Keys-area retirement home was hit by multiple thefts last Saturday during dinner. At the time, Larcombe believed his briefcase containing three service medals was taken during the thefts.

At least two other residents reported thefts from their rooms around the same time. Police are looking for two males wearing workman's clothing.

LOCK TAMPERED WITH

While Larcombe has his briefcase, it appears someone tried to pry open the lock. A chunk of a black letter opener is lodged in the lock, he said. He found his broken letter opener Saturday after the thefts.

Larcombe wonders if the thieves planned to return for the briefcase because it was hidden under the bed.

Larcombe, who was a flight lieutenant in the Royal Air Force, said his $27 in cash and credit cards are still missing.

The veteran feels a bit "embarrassed" by the find, especially since he has received offers to replace his medals.

"I had so many people call me," he said.