MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 31-05-06, 00:04
Vets Dottir

Default Winnie the Pooh Canadian Military History!

Wow, you learn something new every day I just saw a little vignette on TV ... how many of you know that "Winnie" is short for "Winnipeg" and part of our Canadian Military History? I truly had NO idea!

Quote:
uring the first World War, troops from Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada) were being transported to eastern Canada, on their way to Europe, where they were to join the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade. When the train stopped at White River, Ontario, a lieutenant called Harry Colebourn bought a small female black bear cub for $20 from a hunter who had killed its mother. He named her 'Winnipeg', after his hometown of Winnipeg, or 'Winnie' for short.
Winnie became the mascot of the Brigade and went to Britain with the unit. When the Brigade was posted to the battlefields of France, Colebourn, now a Captain, took Winnie to the London Zoo for a long loan. He formally presented the London Zoo with Winnie in December 1919 where he became a popular attraction and lived until 1934.

The bear was also very popular with Christopher Robin, son of author A.A. Milne. It was his favourite animal at the Zoo, and he often spent time inside the cage with it. The bear was Christopher Robin's inspiration for calling his own teddy bear Winnie.....Winnie the Pooh (this teddy bear started out with the name of Edward Bear).
Old 31-05-06, 01:46
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Great story

How about that!

Thanks for sharing,

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 31-05-06, 04:50

There was a movie about this called “A Bear Named Winnie” which was shown on the CBC last year. You can get a copy of the DVD from their on-line store.

http://www.cbcshop.ca/CBC/shopping/p...085&lang=en-CA
Old 31-05-06, 21:20
Vets Dottir

Yes, I was amazed when I saw/heard the vignette

Nice to learn that Winnie The Pooh was inspired by this "Winnie" ... and I'm always amazed at the tidbits of history rooted back to where I originated, and in THIS case, even MORE fun to learn about the Canadian Military connection. Fun and interesting stuff.

By the way, I have NEVER in my life read Winnie the Pooh or seen any of the movies. I just know Winnie like honey

Karmen
Old 31-05-06, 21:41
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
By the way, I have NEVER in my life read Winnie the Pooh or seen any of the movies.
But now you know it is an Important Part of Canadian Military History, you will, won't you?

And thanks for bringing it to our attention!

H.
Old 31-05-06, 23:07
Vets Dottir

Yep, Winnie-Peggers surely do get around and become famous or notorious ... they make HISTORY!
Old 02-06-06, 00:12

Quote:
By the way, I have NEVER in my life read Winnie the Pooh or seen any of the movies. I just know Winnie like honey

Karmen [/B]
Are there really people in the English-speaking world who have never played Pooh-Sticks ? Our common culture is not as common as I thought it was.

My children are just at the age where I can do it all over again without feeling any embarrassment at all.

If you do decide to catch up on what you've missed, make sure you find an E.H. Shepard illustrated edition. Disney now own the rights and their stories with Raccoons and things in the English countryside are as annoying as the Hollywood version of capturing the Enigma machine (clever WW2 link there eh ?)

Rich.
Old 02-06-06, 00:29
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Pooh-sticks

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Payne
Are there really people in the English-speaking world who have never played Pooh-Sticks ? Our common culture is not as common as I thought it was.
Pooh? Sticks? It certainly does, as I've found in my 10 years of continuous nappy changing.

If my mother had found me playing with that stuff I'd have been in terrible trouble!

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 02-06-06, 00:35

Oh dear, trust an Antipodean to lower the tone !

I hope those 10 years weren't all with the same child

Rich.
Old 02-06-06, 00:50
Film maker, CMP addict

Default LMAO!

Quote:
Oh dear, trust an Antipodean to lower the tone !

I hope those 10 years weren't all with the same child

Rich.
Actually I've just been waiting for the to fall...

And no, it was FOUR children. Thank goodness I won't have to go through THAT again.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 02-06-06, 01:07

Default Re: LMAO!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Thank goodness I won't have to go through THAT again. [/B]

Next time round it's going to be them doing it for us isn't it ? Not for a while yet I hope
Old 02-06-06, 07:51
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: LMAO!

Quote:
Next time round it's going to be them doing it for us isn't it ? Not for a while yet I hope
Old 02-06-06, 08:00
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: LMAO!

Quote:
DEPENDS ... ah, just think of all the fun you can have ...
"HEY KIDS, GUESS WHAT YA LITTLE POOPS? PAYBACK HAS ARRIVED"
Old 02-06-06, 12:54

Hi Karmen

Speaking of Winnipeg, where I lived for x4 Winters(!!!), I wonder how many are aware of http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=10192? Although condensed versions and therefore somewhat inaccurate, these little clips are interesting with regard to Canadian Military History. Most got airplay on TV and have been seen by many Canadians.

Maybe one of the MLU-ers who were at the opening of the new CWM last summer can provide you with a copy of the DVD of all the Historica Vignettes that were handed out. I'm sure someone grabbed a spare. I'd give you my spare but I already passed it along and am too computer illiterate to copy the one I have. I would consider a short term loan tho if you have someone at your end who can do you the service.

regards
Darrell
Old 02-06-06, 15:39
The Original CMP Site!

Default Re: LMAO!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb

And no, it was FOUR children.
Keith, There is an operation for that, you know!!!!!!!

Cheers
Rod
Old 02-06-06, 20:01
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Zinck
Hi Karmen

Speaking of Winnipeg, where I lived for x4 Winters(!!!), I wonder how many are aware of http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=10192?

Maybe one of the MLU-ers who were at the opening of the new CWM last summer can provide you with a copy of the DVD of all the Historica Vignettes that were handed out. I'm sure someone grabbed a spare. I'd give you my spare but I already passed it along and am too computer illiterate to copy the one I have. I would consider a short term loan tho if you have someone at your end who can do you the service.

regards
Darrell
Hey Darrell, good to hear from you And so sorry to hear you experienced WINTER-peg ... the winds make the cold so much worse .... brrrrrrrrrr!

By the way, that link did NOT work for me

I really love those little Histori.ca clips they show on TV and didn't know they handed them out at the grand opening of the museum ... they were probably handed out inside the building though? I don't recall seeing them outside the building.

It would be great to have a copy if I could get one (I hope to have DVD and VCR players one day, budget permitting, but don't at the moment) I don't know a soul here personally yet, but I wonder if a local computer services store would be able to do that for me for a small fee (I'll ask around)? I have a couple of DVD's here that I'd like to be able to see as well so will get a player asap!!! Thanks a lot for the offer of a loan for me to copy the disc, but how about I wait until I can actually copy and play it at home then contact you for the loaner if I still need one by then?
Unless someone else does have a spare copy they'd part with

Next time you have a beer, raise a toast to yourself from me

Karmen
Old 02-06-06, 22:09
Vets Dottir

Quote:

Rich.
Okay Rich, you're going to have to explain that Pooh-Sticks game for me. I've never heard of it

When I eventually make it to the library to get myself a local library card I'll look for that edition. I've seen illustrations and even bits of animated movies advertized here and there but have yet to read/see "the whole thing" ... funny, I read to my daughter EVERY NIGHT for years and years, tons of books. But never Winnie the Pooh. Hmmmm

Karmen.
Old 02-06-06, 22:26
RIP

Default Oh-oh-She's back !!!!

Old 03-06-06, 02:23

Hi
My bad!! Here's the link that should work!!

You can watch most if not all at that site.

Yes, I do believe they were handed out inside!! As I recall, they had stacks and stacks of them. Someone else here must have got more than one!! If there isn't then I feel real bad for taking two!!

If'n a copy isn't forthcoming, my offer stands. Say the word and I'll ship it out to ya as a "loaner". Who knows, I may be able to get my 7yr old daughter to show me how to make a copy before too long!! Hang tough.

Winnipeg was the only place I ever lived that would cancel school on a sunny calm day............................because it was 50 below and exposed skin froze in 60 seconds!! They put that warning on the TV in the mornings back then.

Quote:
...Next time you have a beer, raise a toast to yourself from me...
Heard, Understood and Acknowledged. Have one of your own favourite liquid refreshments too.............I just did.

Now, back onto the topic; what in the heck is Pooh-sticks??

regards
Darrell

Last edited by Darrell Zinck; 03-06-06 at 02:33.
Old 03-06-06, 02:33
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Hi
My bad!! Here's the link that should work!! regards
Darrell
Oh yeah? : where? Got a little alzheimers goin' on there Darrell? Maybe too many brewskis perhaps? Or are you my genetic cousin?

(sorry, I just couldn't resist a cheeky reply )
Old 03-06-06, 02:40
Vets Dottir

Darrell,

That's great if people can view the clips on their site They really are even better on TV when they just pop up and surprize folks with mini history bits. They have one about Tommy Prince too of which I missed most of it. Maybe I'll be lucky and get to view it at Histori.ca site.

Loved the drink and the toast (coffee with cream no other additives )

Old 03-06-06, 02:41
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Oh-oh-She's back !!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton

Ma
Old 03-06-06, 08:13
Richard Notton

Quote:
Okay Rich, you're going to have to explain that Pooh-Sticks game for me. I've never heard of it
Oh dear.
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Right; pay attention,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2853091.stm
http://www.downloadfreegames.co.uk/g...ails.asp?id=76
http://www.rnli.org.uk/rnli_near_you...ticleid=101285
http://archive.thisisoxfordshire.co..../27/91927.html
http://www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/...003-02-21.html

R.
Old 03-06-06, 08:19
Richard Notton

Quote:
. . . . .as annoying as the Hollywood version of capturing the Enigma machine (clever WW2 link there eh ?)
Especially for Commander David Balme DSC (Ret).

R.
Old 03-06-06, 09:07
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Notton
Oh dear.
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Right; pay attention,
R.
HEY ... you're ALIVE!

...okay ... will go back and follow those links now and be something new ... ah yes, Master R., he's knackered, but back

I bow to the within you Master R.

Student Karmen
Old 03-06-06, 09:27
Vets Dottir

Those links were amazing and fun reading ... and I love it that it all began with a Canadian Soldiers heart and a wee bittie Canadian bear named Winnipeg aka Winnie gone overseas to fill a kids heart and his daddy's creative flow ... and the rest is the continueing history and saga of how legends are made and carried forth in future generations ... is that synchronicity or what?

Pooh Sticks sounds fun, and now I'll definately have to read the story and pay special attention to Poohs bridge and the sticks part!

Thanks to all of you

Karmen searching for sticks and bridges with creeks flowing under them ...
Old 03-06-06, 14:31

Hi Karmen

I guess I should have had that drink after I tried to put the link up, eh?!?!

Here it is: http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=10192 and it does work, gol dang it!!

So that's "Pooh Sticks", huh? Interesting. If you could some how add frozen water, a puck and skates then maybe it'll catch on here.

regards
Darrell
Old 03-06-06, 21:36
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Hi Karmen

I guess I should have had that drink after I tried to put the link up, eh?!?!

regards
Darrell
Hi Darrell,

Congratulations ... and thanks! You didn't lie to me ( I hate it when people lie to me because then I'm forced to :dh: and them. I wouldn't want to hurt you as you were so nice to me in Ottawa ) ... the link works and I'm going to enjoy my visits there.

Karmen.
Old 27-06-06, 02:38

There are some photos of Winnie on the Fort Garry web site at the link below.

http://www.fortgarryhorse.ca/phpWeb/...PWS_Album_id=5

And the story:

http://www.fortgarryhorse.ca/phpWeb/...position=44:44
Old 01-09-06, 05:00
Vets Dottir

Default Movie on nOW!

9:00 pm Mountain Time on CBC channel ... this movie is just starting NOW ... I don't know if any of you can catch this in time if you want to watch it... Karmen.

Bear Named Winnie
SYNOPSIS: A soldier develops a strong bond with a cub before he is sent to fight in World War I.
RELEASE YEAR: 2004
DETAILS: Rated PG, Made for TV
AIRING: Thu 8/31/2006 5:00 PM 305(CBLTDT)
Thu 8/31/2006 8:00 PM 13(CBUT)

DURATION: 2 hr.
STARRING: Ted Atherton, Gil Bellows, Michael Fassbender, Stephen Fry, David Young, Jonathon Young