MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 21-06-10, 14:55

Default CMP Tire sizes?

I'd very much like to replace the tires on my CMP soon (they're original and rotten) but not sure what size to use.
Also, does anyone know if split rims are still legal? Some people I've spoken to seem to think they're not and no insurance in the world is going to clear a vehicle with them equipped, and others seem to think they're just fine.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Pedro
Old 21-06-10, 16:01
Banned

Default I've never had any issue about the rims.

There are several insurance companies that insure antique vehicles.

All the best
Adam
Old 21-06-10, 17:42

Default Tyres and tires.....

Bonjour Pedro

Yes the rims are still legal....... handle them with respect and they will outlive you.

Standard size tires should be 900x16 and should have tractor thread bars that are mounted in direction of travel..... known as "Directional threads".

The only copies currently available are sold by Wallace Wade of Texas and come only in 10:50x16.... they will fit...look awful good and a bunch of us have been using them.....current price is $242 US plus custom plus shipping.

A good alternative is the standard US bar thread still manufactured by repro companies....usually 8 plys 900x16 and can be imported from the US at about $200 each. You will need new flaps and new tubes as well.

If you current tires still hold air and you can roll the truck around while working on it.....don't rush to buy new tires..... do you dirty work with the old tires...... oil..grease...paint will get on them and it might as well be the old ones that are getting dirtied.

Besides....... I would strongly suggest you will need to remove the wheels off the truck....... deflate the tire..... and undo the 8 big nuts that holds the rims together. You may decide that spending hours breaking your back is not worth the money and take your rims to a rural tractor shop and have them remove the tires from the rim. From my experience you will have 40 to 60 years of rust welding the bead of the tire onto the rim and only a professional with hydraulic tools can do it fast and safe. Then take the rims home.... you will need to scrap the inside or even use a air powered needle gun to remove the dried up rubber beads stuck to the rim........ and consider sandblasing them all around before painting them...... a good high gloss oil based paint ( at least two coats) on the inside will greatly assist installing new tires.

Look for deep rust pits on the inside of the rims....... suspend the rim halves from a rope and hit them with a hammer..... if they ring like a bell they are not cracked. Make sure all your nuts and studs are good and clean up the threads.

Now you are ready to install the new tires.

Don't rush....do it once do it well.

You might want to do a search on MLU for tire related previous discussion.

You are on the right track by asking questions.

Boob
Canada
Old 21-06-10, 19:56

I took mine to a fork lift tire service and he was able to press the tires off.
I recently bought tires from Collectors auto suppy in peachland B.C and he carries the repro tires in canadian funds.
Split rims are not illegal but usualy only Truck Tire companies will remove them.
The CMPs have a 2 piece bolt together rim .not a true REMOVE the top of your Head Split.
Jeff
Old 22-06-10, 02:17

Default British/American 16"

Somebody better give you a heads up on the difference in diameter between British and American 16" wheels Pedro. One country must have been using a rule with a fault in it because tyres made for the British (This includes CMP) wheels are quite sloppy on American wheels and American 16" tyres ( Or should that be tires) are extremely tight on British wartime 16" wheels.
Just make sure of what you are getting. There is an Indian company that makes ND tyres in the correct size for Blitz. I can't vouch for anyone else. The Indian company is MRF.
David
Old 22-06-10, 03:20
David Pope

The issues with split rims just apply to the ones with the rings that hold them together. They can be extremely dangerous to work with if you don't have the inflating cage to put them in. If you're inflating one out in the open and the ring isn't installed properly it can literally take your head off. The CMP rims bolt together so they can't let go like that. Just make sure you deflate it before removing the bolts!
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 22-06-10, 04:28

Default Reply to Motto.....

The difference/difficulties that we have experienced using US tires on British CMP rims has been VERY positive. Some have resorted to actually grinding the tire bead almost to the steel cable others like myself....with proper tire lubricants have installed new tight tires very easily by hand. Granted they do not fall in place by themselves but they can be worked quite easily.

Removing old hard dry rust to the rim tires after 65 years is better left to the tire shop although some of us have beaten them into submission by hand.... to me it is not worth the effort.

......quite a bit has been written on past MLU postings and I have designed my own home built tool for installing them the lazy way.

Boob
Canada
Old 22-06-10, 14:39

I hear what you're saying Bob and all this is known to the old hands but Pedro is a new chum and may have wondered what the hell he'd struck when tyre fitting time comes around.
Tyres for the British wheels are available, at least they are in Australia and I would consider them to be the better option. I just thought the fellow should be fully informed so as he can decide which way to go.
David
Old 27-04-11, 08:33

Hello Scott, and Welcome to MLU.
Interesting link, also have Ford script 6.00-16 bar treads for the rabid Jeep enthusiast as well as bar treads in 7.50-16 for Champs or Landies, reasonable price as well.
Rich.
Old 27-04-11, 12:19
Tony Baker

Exclamation Regarding Tyre removal

Pedro,

Save yourself time and swearwords! Have old tyres removed by a truck tyre business.

I spent ages on two old cheasy tyres (40-50yrs old at least).

Tried easy things first - no good

Tried sledge hammer - no good, just bounced.

Tried crow bar WITH sledge hammer - no good, tyre laughed at me.

Tried cutting through wall with grinder - no good, just stunk to high hell and got nowhere.

Tried local truck tyre place - DONE, and they now semi hate me.

They will hate me completely when I take another two tyres there this week.

No, seriously, farm the job out!
Old 27-04-11, 12:41
Bluebell

Default David

The difference between the two types of rims is that The American rims use a Tapered seat, while the British wheels use a flat seat.....or is it the other way around. I would suggest that anyone buying tyres, buy the correct ones for the rims. Many of the wartime tyres had moulded into them "for British rims only" or "For American wheels"

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 27-04-11, 19:36

Default tires

I've had a dozen or so different military and civilian tires on 16 inch CMP rims, never saw any sign of grinding on any of them. If the tires you are taking off are never going to be used again then what I did is cut them off around the sidewall and then used an impact chisel to break the wire bead. Lots of sweat but kept money in my pocket. i use the wallace wade tires, 10.50X16 I really like them. Worth the time and effort to get them.
Old 28-04-11, 00:46
3RD ECHELON WKSP

This subject has been hashed to death over the years here on MLU...
Simply put, use regular US style bar grip tires and have a tire shop worry about fitting them, plain and simple.
As far as the Wallace Wade tires go, they are 10.50-16 and not technically correct for you purists out there. 9.00-16 are the correct CMP size for 15cwt cmp trucks, I believe that it was only the 30cwt that was actually fitted with 10.50-16s. Wallace Wade would have been better offoffering the right and most common size for cmp trucks.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 07-06-16, 20:01

Bob,

Well, almost a year has past and I have done some simple small fixes to my 42 CMP to try to get it on the road. Alas, 2 young girls at home makes it somewhat more difficult to devote time but I'm determined to get this truck road worthy this summer and bring it by Albert's place. I'm thinking about replacing the tires. It's got civilian style farm tires on it now. I've read all the posts and I'm looking for the simplest answer. Will 10.50x16 fit? Where is the best place to get them and what is it going to cost? Any precautions in removing the lug nuts? ie. breaking the studs off and reverse thread? The current tires hold air. Leave them be until other more important work is complete or dive in. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 07-06-16, 20:21
Brian Asbury

I have new set of four SA 10:50x16 chevron tires. I bought them and do not have the project anymore. They are near Milton Ontario. At my cost. (I paid the tax and the shipping so this is your saving). This is the only practical substitute for 16" CMP tires. I'll PM you with details.... Brian
Old 07-06-16, 22:45

Brian, this sounds promising. Perhaps we can discuss a transaction. Just drop me a Private Message. Thanks,

Drew
Old 07-06-16, 23:53

Default I agree with Brian...

The 10:50 fit and look good and ride well..... quite a few on MLU have been using them.

I understand that they are getting harder to obtain and the suppliers are hesitant to run another batch of a few 100s without having some commitments to buy.

Lug nuts respond well to heat and penetrating oil and lots of torque..... watch the left side wheel which have reverse thread..... if you do not own your own air impact gun you may consider letting a truck tier shop remove the tires for you.

Good luck

Bob C
Canada
Old 08-06-16, 06:04

Default As luck would have it...

Hi Brian: I was just looking at possibly purchasing a set (4), (as discussed with Mr Carriere) However I'm in Vancouver and your in Ontario, so I'll PM you to see what it would cost to ship them here. I have a set on my HUP ZL and I have to admit.....they are cool to the vehicle. Talk to you shortly.....Robert
Old 08-06-16, 15:17
Brian Asbury

Thank you for all responses: the tires are spoken for.... Brian
Old 08-06-16, 18:36

Thanks Bob and Brian. I'll try getting the wheels off myself but will definitely take the tires to a shop to have them installed. Good farm tire place in our vicinity.

Thanks, Drew
Old 08-06-16, 21:51

D'oh, reacted to slow to get the tires. Next time.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 17-06-16, 18:43

Jordan,

You may know a common friend in the RHLI Regiment. 2LT Richard Moll.

Drew
Old 17-06-16, 19:58
carrier mech

Best deal I have found for the military tires, including the 10.50-16 is to buy them from Summit Racing. They offer free shipping to the border.

I used to buy them at the conventions from Wallace Wade, but he wasn't at last year's convention. Just as easy to get them as I need them rather than stockpiling them.

Price on those 10:50s is up to $332US, so by the time a guy gets them here he could be up around $500 Cdn with the taxes. I am sitting on a spare set of them myself out in the shed where I think they will stay until needed.