MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 19-01-22, 18:41

Default Royal Canadian Hussars - Regimental History ( new)

Please note that the English version of the Royal Canadian Hussars regimental history is now available for sale through the Montreal Cavalry Institute's on-line bookstore. It is a wonderful 1,000-page two-volume collector’s item. It includes 812 photographs, 57 maps, and 37 original works of art, 18 vehicle line drawings, and 14 cartoons. It covers every major event that involved the Montreal Cavalry and the Royal Canadian Hussars between 1812 and 2021. The set comes in a slipcase emblazoned with the regimental crest, illustrated covers and place-marker ribbons woven with regimental colours. The book set should be of interest to historians, collectors, and families of veterans who served with 6th Duke of Connaught’s Royal Canadian Hussars and the 17th Duke of York’s Royal Canadian Hussars during the Second World War.
Here is the link to a more detailed description and the order page.
https://rch.ca/en/online-bookstore/

Here is some recent feedback received on the book: “It is an impressive & comprehensive work, an invaluable contribution to military history in Canada as well as a wonderful tribute to all who have served the regiment over generations. Your years of dedication & collaboration have resulted in an exquisitely produced book. And on a personal level, my family will treasure this record of a pivotal experience in my father’s life.” – Pamela Yarrow 2022-01-15
Old 19-01-22, 20:57

I can confirm that this is an outstanding book. I received my copy last week and it goes into great detail from the founding of the cavalry to modern day COVID deployments. A lot of information on not just the RCH but it's allied units, former units, uniforms, equipment and many personal stories. Very well presented and great addition to any library. Full disclosure, I am a former member of the RCH and am included in portions of the book.
Old 24-01-22, 22:23

Default RCH History

My copy arrived today and I have had a cursory overview of both volumes. Even though I am not included in either publication, I am still quite impressed with the quality of books and look forward to reading them. I am glad that the notice was posted on MLU.
Old 25-01-22, 01:25
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rioux View Post
I can confirm that this is an outstanding book. I received my copy last week and it goes into great detail from the founding of the cavalry to modern day COVID deployments. A lot of information on not just the RCH but it's allied units, former units, uniforms, equipment and many personal stories. Very well presented and great addition to any library. Full disclosure, I am a former member of the RCH and am included in portions of the book.
Here is a research question for you. In 1976 Secteur de l'est put together a fly-over recce troop of guys from Sher H, 12e and RCH. Not sure about Hull. Att is are some pictures from a Sher H comrade (Marc Slater). A fellow who was 12e was in that troop, but could not remember who was the troop leader. He remembers the officer was RCH. Is it in the book?
Attached Thumbnails
Marc Slater and Richard Quintel Reforger 1976.jpg   Mark Slater Reforger 1976 prepping for rollpast.jpg  

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 25-01-22, 15:35

Let me check, they did mention a little bit about the flyovers. I did one myself for FALLEX 91 and could not find to much details on individual years but overall information like Officier X deployed during years X. If I find anything for you I will let you know
Old 25-01-22, 19:06

Default Rch

Don't look too hard, I was just being a smart ass and never served in the RCH as I was in the Engineers...hehehe.
Old 25-01-22, 23:11
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Don't look too hard, I was just being a smart ass and never served in the RCH as I was in the Engineers...hehehe.
We know you're the consummate smartass Ed, but I asked the question for Jacques.

Those were lean times in the Reserves in the 70s, and the stories might not have been very interesting to write about. I wonder if the authors leaned on the Annual Historical Reports?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 26-01-22, 04:23

Got a set waiting for me over at my friend's house. I am immensely looking forward to reading it. Taking some pictures next week with some vehicles to send up for the Trumpeter.
Old 29-01-22, 16:37

My set arrived yesterday and after a quick browsing this morning I’m quite impressed. They even had a handful of Otter pictures I had not seen before.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer