MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 21-10-21, 05:30

Default where would this be used

I have had this for awhile and might have asked about in the past, Would this be of use in my wire 5? Is it missing anything?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3720.jpg   IMG_3721.jpg   IMG_3722.jpg   IMG_3723.jpg   IMG_3724.jpg  

Old 21-10-21, 15:04
HUP guy

Default links

Hi Harry

Here are links to previous MLU Forum threads that may help you.

http://mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20052

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...=28313&page=12

post 362/368

Brian
Old 21-10-21, 15:12
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Bc 221

Not 100% certain, I have a similar unit, it is a power supply for a BC 221 ?
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 21-10-21, 15:35
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
I have had this for awhile and might have asked about in the past, Would this be of use in my wire 5? Is it missing anything?
Not sure about the electrical device, but I see a Barr & Stroud rangefinder in the immediate background. I was looking at the manual for one just the other day.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 21-10-21, 16:56
Junior Password Gnome

The "electrical device" is the power supply for the WS52 remote receiver. It's missing the supply unit to set cable (which also provides the aerial terminal).

Chris.
Old 21-10-21, 17:55

Hi Harry.

As Chris noted, you have a ZE-11 Remote Supply Unit developed by Canadian Marconi Company to power the Remote Receiver used with the Wireless Set No. 9 Mk I Canadian.

When CMC introduced the Wireless Set No. 9 Mk II Canadian (which suddenly became the Wireless Set No. 52 Canadian on very short notice), CMC made a very minor change to the fusing arrangement, moved a larger data plate consistent with those on the rest of the 52-Set components onto the centre rear section of the base of the supply and renamed it a ZE-12 Remote Supply. For operating and maintenance purposes, the two supply’s are really identical.

For a while it was thought early issue 52-Sets were equipped with the ZE-11 Remote Supplies as a number of 52-Set Remote Receivers showed up on the surplus market equipped with them. My 52-Set Remote Receiver was like that when I found it.

It is more likely that the extremely close similarity between the ZE-11 and ZE-12 Remote Supplies, resulted in any stock of ZE-11’s being retained in the supply system, when the Wireless Set No. 9 Mk I reached the end of its service life. They would very easily have augmented whatever stock of ZE-12’s were still available to keep the 52-Sets still in service, up and running.

As Chris noted, the power cable from the Remote Supply to the Receiver is missing. Interestingly, this cable was identical for the No.9 Set Mk I and the 52-Set, to the point that Canadian Marconi never bothered to change their Part Number for it.

I see your supply still sports an original CMC Vibrator. Best not try putting any power to the supply, however, as it is almost guaranteed a pair of electrolytic capacitors inside have gone totally off standard and would need to be reformed first.

Hope this helps, Harry.

David
Old 21-10-21, 19:28

Hello again, Harry.

One other thing of note. The AC power cord on your supply is original, and very likely synthetic rubber and at its age, will not respond well to being coiled up too tightly, or to any sharp bends. The rubber will start to crack.

My suggestion would be to carefully uncoil it and have a close look for any cracks already present. Then take advantage of the two AC power cord storage hooks on the front of the transformer and coil covers.

Gently move the cord to the lower left, behind the vibrator and wind it loosely, clockwise around the two hooks. Normally, when not in use, the cord plug is pushed into the socket with the circle around it. This serves two purposes. It keeps the AC cord in place and the plug prongs activate a spring loaded cutout switch that isolates the AC input feed so it will not work. It is a sharp bend to get the plug into that socket so considering its age, just tuck the cord into itself so it is out of the way to reinstall the cover on the Supply.

David
Old 22-10-21, 00:49
GM Fox I

So Mr. Moon, can I call you Harry? Please, call me Bruce. All my friends call me Bruce.

It seems you have the Supply Unit and I have the No.9 Mk.1 Remote Receiver.

My wife is the real matchmaker but sometimes even I like to get the oldsters together, especially when, as in this instance, they make such a perfect matching couple!!

Question is, do they reunite and live with you or do they elope east and, like a lot of crazy young kids today, live rent free in my basement?
Attached Thumbnails
SIG88.JPG  
Old 22-10-21, 02:26

Default sounds like a good match

I'm not a comms guy so the radio's are an accessory for my trucks send me an email address and I'll contact you.
Old 22-10-21, 02:40
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
So Mr. Moon, can I call you Harry? Please, call me Bruce. All my friends call me Bruce.

It seems you have the Supply Unit and I have the No.9 Mk.1 Remote Receiver.

My wife is the real matchmaker but sometimes even I like to get the oldsters together, especially when, as in this instance, they make such a perfect matching couple!!

Question is, do they reunite and live with you or do they elope east and, like a lot of crazy young kids today, live rent free in my basement?
Hi Bruce, this gnome notes that there are three suspicious holes in the front of your receiver; would you like a couple of Bakelite mouldings that would cover them up?

Chris. (Item to fit inside the mouldings not included.)
Old 22-10-21, 03:09
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
Hi Bruce, this gnome notes that there are three suspicious holes in the front of your receiver; would you like a couple of Bakelite mouldings that would cover them up?

Chris. (Item to fit inside the mouldings not included.)
Suspicious holes indeed. It seems those same triangular radio termite holes (what else could it be other than radio termite holes?) have infected more than one, nay MOST of my radios. And my attempts to cover them all with bakelite do-hickies, I hate to admit it, have fallen behind. Worse, each of those bakelite circular things inevitably and almost certainly demands a silver-ish insert that winds from the top and has a /|\ or C/|\ etching on the back. Keeping up with those is breaking me!!
Old 22-10-21, 03:40
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Suspicious holes indeed. It seems those same triangular radio termite holes (what else could it be other than radio termite holes?) have infected more than one, nay MOST of my radios. And my attempts to cover them all with bakelite do-hickies, I hate to admit it, have fallen behind. Worse, each of those bakelite circular things inevitably and almost certainly demands a silver-ish insert that winds from the top and has a /|\ or C/|\ etching on the back. Keeping up with those is breaking me!!
Looks like a severe attack of the precision tinworm; I may have some patches for that.

Chris.
Old 22-10-21, 04:03
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
Looks like a severe attack of the precision tinworm; I may have some patches for that.

Chris.
So here's the deal. My good friend Harry sends me the ZE-11. I attach it to the No.9 Remote Receiver and fire it up. 75 years of rubber insulation flaking off does its thing and we smoke them precision tinworms out.

Oh, and then we plug the holes with a bakelite cover.