MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 17-02-21, 05:24
Terry Warner

Default No more Airsoft in Canada

Today Parliament tabled bill C21 for firearms. Several sections speak to air guns which are replicas of other firearms. From my quick read, no more airsoft SMGs, battle rifles, crew served MGs, etc may be imported, and are likely now safe queens. MTF

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 17-02-21, 12:32
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

From the RCMP site , edited last summer:

"An airsoft gun, firing a .20g 6mm plastic pellet with a muzzle velocity below 111.6 m/s (366 fps), and resembling with near precision an existing make and model of a firearm, other than an antique firearm, is a replica firearm and therefore a prohibited device."

Don't get hung up on the muzzle velocity and calibre....

Vote early, vote often

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 17-02-21, 13:33
carrier mech

It would seem that they have removed the 366 fps portion of the requirement. It was previously set for that because the lab determined that at that speed, the pellet could cause serious bodily harm, therefore rendering it a firearm. The serious bodily harm was because at that speed, the pellet would penetrate the eye of a pig, thus proving that parents old analogy of "you'll shoot your eye out" was indeed correct.

The 366 threshold made the guns allowable. They met the definition of a firearm rather than a replica, however they did not require all the hoopla of safe storage, safe transport, licensing, etc.

So what does that mean for the Canadian collector? All those Thompson SMG airsofts, or sterling SMG airsofts, or MAG58 airsofts, that you purchased to leave in the military vehicles for displays, are now rendered useless and possibly illegal. But you can still have the real deal in deactivated form, at least for now.....
Old 17-02-21, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fitton View Post
From the RCMP site , edited last summer:

"An airsoft gun, firing a .20g 6mm plastic pellet with a muzzle velocity below 111.6 m/s (366 fps), and resembling with near precision an existing make and model of a firearm, other than an antique firearm, is a replica firearm and therefore a prohibited device."

Don't get hung up on the muzzle velocity and calibre....

Vote early, vote often
Canada lurches another step closer to being a police state as the RCMP make new laws to support the Trudeau agenda.
Old 18-02-21, 00:29
Mariano Paz

Here importation has long been prohibited, not because of the speed of the projectile, but because of its resemblance to a real weapon.
Currently I have for my vehicles M16A1, M60, Colt 1911, XM177, M14, Sten MKII, Browning HP, all perfect replicas!

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 18-02-21, 01:20
Terry Warner

Mariano:

Different countries have different rules for as many reasons as there are stars in the sky.

The careful consideration of the legislation is that it is incremental change to remove more and more "things" from Canadian society to make some voters feel safer. Those who follow how laws move through our levels of debate and voting have calculated there aren't enough days for this bill to be passed before an anticipated spring/summer general election. Anything on the order paper dies when Parliament is closed.

The look of the bill and who would benefit or feel like they are benefitting, strongly suggest it is not intended to actually pass, just annoy lots of people who would vote against the paper in power but attract more voters where they need to win seats. And, many observers are calling out the government for distracting the electorate from its numerous missteps during the pandemic. Isn't democracy a wonderful invention?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 18-02-21, 02:59
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Mariano:

Different countries have different rules for as many reasons as there are stars in the sky.

The careful consideration of the legislation is that it is incremental change to remove more and more "things" from Canadian society to make some voters feel safer. Those who follow how laws move through our levels of debate and voting have calculated there aren't enough days for this bill to be passed before an anticipated spring/summer general election. Anything on the order paper dies when Parliament is closed.

The look of the bill and who would benefit or feel like they are benefitting, strongly suggest it is not intended to actually pass, just annoy lots of people who would vote against the paper in power but attract more voters where they need to win seats. And, many observers are calling out the government for distracting the electorate from its numerous missteps during the pandemic. Isn't democracy a wonderful invention?
There are so many flaws and inconsistencies (or plain it won't do what they say it's supposed to's) that it comes down to blatant election politics or incompetence. Ugly either way.
Old 18-02-21, 04:18
carrier mech

That is what I figure it all is as well. Their numbers have been plummeting lately, thanks to their incompetence at procuring vaccines. This is the old: hey look over there" distraction, to get people talking about anything but their failure.

There will be no election until they get up to at least 40% popularity in the polls. They have dropped to 31% last time I looked. They know firearms are a wedge issue....we'll see how this all pans out.
Old 18-02-21, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fitton View Post
Vote early, vote often
Point .
Old 19-02-21, 01:20

Default No More Liberals...

Can we Puuuullll-ease change this threads title to..... No More Liberals.
Gents this is our last chance.
Tell your neighbors, tell your friends, tell your local Airsoft Dealer what this means...
Old 19-02-21, 04:48
3RD ECHELON WKSP

This is the time that I always preached to those “less supportive” fellow firearms owners. In the hobby there has always been fractures between enthusiasts. The guy shooting his $5000 trap shotgun shooting clays looking down his nose at the guys who wear green to the range shooting those “military things”. I heard it more than once, asking why I need this or want that. I have always been of the mindset that no matter a persons flavour in pursuit of shooting sports, we all look the same to John Q. public. The shooting sports family has to accept much of the responsibility by not supporting each other’s disciplines and having a stronger voice. Matter of fact, I know of at least one younger guy who didn’t really understand my “need” to own military guns yet has a huge collection of Airsoft himself. Guess him and his kiddo friends aren’t so smug now.
A certain part of me laughs at the hunter types who think they are “safe”... For now.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 19-02-21, 13:11

And the final insult..Liberals just announced a reduction in penalties for those convicted of illegal gun and drug use. Trudeau..the criminals best friend!
Old 19-02-21, 16:11

Default Everyone is Under the Microscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
This is the time that I always preached
to those “less supportive” fellow firearms owners. In the hobby there has always been fractures between enthusiasts. The guy shooting his $5000 trap shotgun shooting clays looking down his nose at the guys who wear green to the range shooting those “military things”. I heard it more than once, asking why I need this or want that. I have always been of the mindset that no matter a persons flavour in pursuit of shooting sports, we all look the same to John Q. public. The shooting sports family has to accept much of the responsibility by not supporting each other’s disciplines and having a stronger voice. Matter of fact, I know of at least one younger guy who didn’t really understand my “need” to own military guns yet has a huge collection of Airsoft himself. Guess him and his kiddo friends aren’t so smug now.
A certain part of me laughs at the hunter types who think they are “safe”... For now.
I totally agree with everything you said and could go further to say that the MV community needs to ensure that they too have a united front as it is very easy to ask why anyone would want to own an ex-military vehicle. We saw it with the medals collectors a decade ago where the public was lead to believe that the collectors were profiting from valour and that only Legions and Museums should be allowed to own them.

Remember John Q. Public votes and they are not well in formed on what collectors or sport shooters/hunters do and why they do it.