MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MLU ADMIN > TAC HQ

Notices

Old 14-03-05, 22:02
Vets Dottir

Thumbs up SUNRAY and MLU-ers Another Record Today:

Hey Sunray ... enjoy this one:

There are currently 8 members and 89 guests on the boards. | Most users ever online was 100 on March 14th 2005 at 15:57.

Old 14-03-05, 23:27
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Some record - bet it takes a while to beat that!

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 14-03-05, 23:46
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
What yo-all talkin' bout bro? Didn't take long at all Check it out ... amazing isn't is. It's really good to see people browsing at least if not joining as yet.

Most users ever online was 104 on March 14th 2005 at 17:10

Old 15-03-05, 06:43
Vets Dottir

Default Yikes ...

Most users ever online was 124 on March 14th 2005 at 20:38.

I can't believe how many people are finding their way here lately. I sure hope some of them join and add some more worldwide knowledge and humour to MLU

Long Live MLU!

Ma Karmen
Old 15-03-05, 06:45
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
Hey Dave ... it really is great to see you in here more often again ... and please say hi to Chrissie ... I'm toddling off to slumberland for the night now so ... nitey nite all ... yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn Ma
Old 15-03-05, 14:14
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

It is rather amazing, considering our relatively small member base. I suspect someone has dropped a link someplace... I'll have to check the referrals in my stats. You'll note that we do tend to get spurts of activity from time-to-time, and I'm sure this is the reason.

In the meantime, I would encourage our new visitors to register and post if there's something here they find of interest!
Old 14-02-06, 22:24
Vets Dottir

Default Another most users online record!

I just noticed this AFTER noticing that there are currently 100 guests onboard right now:

Most users ever online was 140 on February 7th 2006 at 09:46

WAY TO GO MLU!!!

Old 07-08-07, 20:32
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Wow MLU Most Users online record topped!

Holy cow ... I just noticed the "most users ever online" has changed since a whole week ago!!! Did anyone else notice the record has a new top?

"Most users ever online was 308 on July 31st 2007 at 09:58."

308 at once!!! I wonder what drew everyone here at once?

Old 07-08-07, 21:26

Nothing so dramatic as that, I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure we were under what they call a denial-of-service attack, perhaps by one of those sods we won't allow to register.

I was online at the time and tried to place some road blocks in the way, but the assault locked up my access to Who's Online, so I couldn't get a handle on it on the 'who' part. I ended up shutting down the forum until the load dropped by half, then put it back online and watched it carefully. By then I had Who's Online back, and I DID notice a huge percentage of the Guests were AOL spiders, which I promptly and permanently 'squished' through the Banning List. Nothing lost, as far as I can tell, except a huge hit on bandwidth.
Old 07-08-07, 21:30
Vets Dottir 2nd

Ouch and wow. I didn't know about that. Good work trying to stem the flow though. What a pain these people are.

Old 09-08-07, 02:11

Default Guest Users

On the subject of user locs, I have recently noticed more and more regular access by British, Canadian and Australian Defence Department servers... I wonder if they're official inquiries or just some sneaky sods pissing away the boss's time?
Old 09-08-07, 02:32
Vets Dottir 2nd

Probably some of both I should think

I know if I was in charge of security with all the terror-ist problems I'd sure keep tabs on these kinds of sites to see who is visiting and whats being posted etc. Just checkin things out folks
Old 09-08-07, 02:51
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Guest Users

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
On the subject of user locs, I have recently noticed more and more regular access by British, Canadian and Australian Defence Department servers... I wonder if they're official inquiries or just some sneaky sods pissing away the boss's time?
Er, we like to call that "Professional Development". It is part of my job description to conduct "research" on military subjects via the internet. I have been "caught" peering in on MLU and other mil related sites while at work, but no harm - it actually generates more interest - particularly MLU with its many historical aspects.

I am sure that there are at least three Ottawa-based gummit workers who peer in at MLU each lunch hour...guilty.
Old 09-08-07, 02:55

Default Who? Me?

Also guilty of researching modes of transport on occasion, like now. If I have to work goofy shifts in a goofy cause can I be blamed for sometimes being goofy too?
Old 09-08-07, 03:01
Vets Dottir 2nd

I know I've seen some of you members online with a gov work ip ... I figured most gov ips are by MLU addicts getting their hits cuz they can't wait til they get home
Old 09-08-07, 03:01
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Who? Me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Grant Bowker
Also guilty of researching modes of transport on occasion, like now. If I have to work goofy shifts in a goofy cause can I be blamed for sometimes being goofy too?
Grant,

Do they pay you in Disney Euros, or provide really long shoes?
Do you have any problems accessing MLU at work with the various govt firewalls? Our firewall is set to "conservative Puritan"...
Old 09-08-07, 04:04

Only long floppy ears and a shiny black nose (made worse by barn dirt)
Firewalls - remember it isn't quite the full DND standard of paranoia here, alternate access etc.
Old 03-03-16, 21:14
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vets Dottir 2nd View Post
"Most users ever online was 308 on July 31st 2007 at 09:58."
We only recently broke our own record
Quote:
Most users ever online was 435, 27-02-16 at 19:19.
Old 05-03-16, 15:16

Default Keys to breaking the record

Hi Hanno

Your post intrigued me, what makes "Most users ever online was 435, 27-02-16 at 19:19" significant in why so many of us to happen to be online? So that would have been early Saturday evening in London, early to late afternoon Saturday in Canada and the US then early Sunday in eastern Australia and New Zealand. Did I get correct?

Given where our most active readership live, how would tweak the time to get the most involved?

Now what would be the most appropriate date to commemorate by deliberately trying set a record?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 05-03-16, 21:23
Tony Baker

What date was the brithday of MLU founder, Geoff?

I think that would be a nice 'nod' to his efforts!
Old 15-11-19, 16:13
MLU Administrator

Default New record

Some of the members who were excited to see MLU steadily growing have passed. But thanks also to their efforts Maple Leaf Up Forum is still doing fine and even set a new record:

"Most users ever online was 1,061, Today at 12:49"

Other stats: "Members: 4,376, Active Members: 797". This means that only 18% of the people with a User Name are active on here. So there's room for improvement!

Have a nice weekend,
Old 10-08-20, 23:28
Brian Asbury

Default Most on-line users

Apparently they were 3085 on-line users on March 30, 2020. A quirk in the statistics?
Oops maybe should have posted in TAC-HQ section
Old 11-08-20, 00:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCA View Post
Apparently they were 3085 on-line users on March 30, 2020. A quirk in the statistics?
Oops maybe should have posted in TAC-HQ section
Going by the date, a lot of bored people across the world in lockdown

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 11-08-20, 02:45

Default big day

can you tell if the traffic came from a site that mentioned MLU? Facebook group?
Old 11-08-20, 07:46
MLU Administrator

Default Real users and internet bots

The lock-down situation is certainly leading to an increase in guests and new users.

If you have a look on http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/online.php, you will notice however that a lot of guests are search bots from google and other internet companies which are searching for content.

The other metrics may be more interesting to see:

MLU FORUM Statistics
Threads: 28,459, Posts: 260,710, Members: 4,473, Active Members: 840

So about 19% of our members are active. Not sure how this compares to other forums?
Old 20-08-20, 13:59
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Post Question

Which brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask for some time.
Has general traffic slowed down over the last couple of years?
Has the number of "active members" slowed down?
Reason I ask, I know that I don't log on as near as often as before. About 8 years ago I took on an new job which is very demanding of my time. Add to that he ease and simplicity of phone-based apps, and I don't even start my computer all that often.
H
PS Hanno, when my website was up, I was able to distinguish Bots and Crawlers from real visits. May be hidden somewhere in the stats for this site?
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 20-08-20, 16:31
MLU Administrator

Default Pondering....

Hello Howard,

Good to hear from you. Just ran some statistics:

The last 365 days the User Activity Statistics ranged from 177 (low) to 192 (high) active users per day. Users are not Bots and Crawlers visiting as guests.

If I compare this with the same August to August period for some earlier years, the trend is as follows:
  • 2014-2015: 127 (low) to 210 (high)
  • 2010-2011: 1 (low) to 243 (high)
  • 2005-2006: 1 (low) to 4 (high)
In mid-2011 there was a spike, going from daily users in the 10's to the 100's and it has been pretty stable since. Members come and go, every now and then I clean up the database, e.g. deleting members who have not been active for many years and do not respond to emails asking them to revisit the forum.

Many people's lives have gotten more demanding I think, and their spare time is more and more spread out over the various forums and "social media".

Not sure what the long term future of this Forum is? Will everybody migrate to facebook, instagram, w.h.y.? Being fed with "info" by facebook is of course much easier than going out and find the info you are looking for yourself. I migrated my Sherman Register mailing list to another provider (https://groups.io/g/G104) at considerable personal expense since users were asking for it, voching they would never surrender to big brother social media. But interaction on there is very, very low....

Anyway, MLU is still my first internet stop of the day.
Old 20-08-20, 17:20

As far as Facebook and perhaps the other "social media" type sites go, yes there are groups with some interesting content, but there is no organization to the content and it is essentially un-searchable. There are some legitimate knowledgeable contributors, but there is a large number who have no idea what they are talking about (but like to sound in on every subject with their misinformed beliefs), and you also have a lot of pure trash posts that are not relevant or contributing to anything. Facebook is a nice place to go to look at photos, but if you read too much of the content your head will spin. However as mentioned, there are some knowledgeable people in some of those groups... you just need to learn who they are.

For me there is no substitute for the high quality information and guidance one can find on MLU, and from trustworthy sources who usually have data/evidence to back things up.

I hope MLU continues to maintain its role in this hobby well into the future. Thank you Hanno for your efforts in keeping things running smoothly. I realize it has been a while since I have contributed to the forum, so I will be sending some funds today to help keep the lights on. Thanks!
Old 21-08-20, 11:10
MLU Administrator

Default there is no substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hingley View Post
As far as Facebook and perhaps the other "social media" type sites go, yes there are groups with some interesting content, but there is no organization to the content and it is essentially un-searchable. There are some legitimate knowledgeable contributors, but there is a large number who have no idea what they are talking about (but like to sound in on every subject with their misinformed beliefs), and you also have a lot of pure trash posts that are not relevant or contributing to anything. Facebook is a nice place to go to look at photos, but if you read too much of the content your head will spin. However as mentioned, there are some knowledgeable people in some of those groups... you just need to learn who they are.

For me there is no substitute for the high quality information and guidance one can find on MLU, and from trustworthy sources who usually have data/evidence to back things up.

I hope MLU continues to maintain its role in this hobby well into the future. Thank you Hanno for your efforts in keeping things running smoothly. I realize it has been a while since I have contributed to the forum, so I will be sending some funds today to help keep the lights on. Thanks!
Hello Wayne, thanks for your insights and comments.

Indeed FB is nice for looking at and "liking" photos and if you're lucky their alogorithms put the sort of content you're interested in on your timeline. I made group on FB as a placeholder for MLU Forum as someone tried to take a spin with our good name. When someone comes up with a "new" topic I often link to the two decades of quality content generated by the members here. I could not do without this forum and I am happy to hear there is no substitute for you either.

Thanks a lot for your donation to support Maple leaf Up Forum!
Old 21-08-20, 15:43
Mariano Paz

Since FB came to the phones, the forums began to die.
But they are still the best database.
Thanks Hanno for the effort in keeping this forum running.
Abrazo a la distancia!

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT