MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 22-11-22, 20:14
Dan Dolan

Default STAGHOUND 2023 is on its way to Antwerp

Restoration complete and shipped from Galveston,TX, to Antwerp where a Dutch buyer will collect it. It will live in Sneek, Netherlands, SW of Leeuwarden where there is a large Dutch AF Base.

Restoration consisted of newly rebuilt engines and a host of NOS parts, all new cotton-covered wiring in correct braided brass conduit and new radiators manufactured in the UK. Turret and all mechanisms are fully operational with new cables and pulleys for the complex engine shifting to the transfer case. All new brakes, shoes, and hydrovacs professionally rebuilt. This vehicle was not a range target like so many others, no holes or damage. Because of the complexity of starting and driving the stevedores were not permitted to drive it on the RO-RO auto hauler ship (Arc Defender) and a specially constructed tow bar was attached to the tow loop lugs to permit them to use a tug to get it positioned aboard the ship.

The town where it will be housed was liberated by the 12th Manitoba Dragoons on April 15, 1945. The staghound will be used for patriotic events in the town including the liberation commemoration. The vehicle was purchased from the Melbourne armoured vehicle sale in 2007 and returned to the US for restoration in 2009. The restoration took 6 1/2 years from disassembly and waterjet blasting of the hull and turret to driving around on both GMC270 engines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	water blasted hull.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	130837 Name:  01-23-22-finished.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  29.2 KB

Name:	teststand-2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	130839 Click image for larger version

Name:	driverscompartment.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	130840

Name:	Arc Defender.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	130836
Old 22-11-22, 21:14

Default Ex-Australia?

Was this the one you received from Australia?

Mike
Old 22-11-22, 21:17
MLU Administrator

Wow Dan, that's quite the story of a Staghound travelling around the world. I know you were working hard on this project, so I am surprised to see you letting it go but thrilled to learn there will be another running Staghound in the Netherlands.

Here's hoping the new owner will let you drive along with one of the liberation festivities in the next few years.
Old 23-11-22, 21:37
Dan Dolan

Default Staghound "2023" shipping and restoration details

Well, to answer the question - yes, this is the Stag that came from the Melbourne Museum sale 15 years ago....Gathered parts and bought out a large collection of NOS stuff (thousands of pounds) also from Australia. The Aussies thought I was nuts for buying it and truly it took two years to get paperwork done to get it into the US!
Actually 2023 was pretty complete inside and unmolested except for dirty. I replaced as many items as there were NOS parts with those NOS parts and did a complete sandblasting in and out before painting and restoring.

Marco: I hope to go to Normandy next year and will try and visit Olaf and the stag in Sneek. Though I lived in Europe for three years while in high school a long time ago in the UK I never visited Holland and really wanted to go to the tulip festival (but as a student, could not afford to travel there). I would ultimately like to go on the 30th Corp trip to Remagen but walking long distances is problematic due to a bad knee replacement. also looking at going to Beltring show but I have heard it is a shadow of its former self??? True or???

I never was able to get the oil pressure gauges for the engines on the instrument panel to work right....they got to full deflections always. Tried five different senders and never got a correct reading - always full scale. But I do know that the oil pressures are good because we tapped into the lines at the engines and used mechanical gauges to see 50-76 psi on start up. Perhaps you can help troubleshoot that - maybe there are correct NOS senders in Europe that are not here because of few staghound parts in the US...we searched for one for GMC 270s, bought them but they did not work!

We also found and error in the instrument panel to late to fix before shipping....the main ammeter works find and either engine generator shows a positive charge on the main - but the specific engine ammeters showed no charging. Rod brought a spare instrument panel over after the stag shipped and we discovered the two 0-60 engine ammeters had a triangular shaped board on the back of the meter with to 40 ohm resistors attached. Those meters were in the Keith spare parts from Australia but they are NOT CORRECT. The triangular boards need to be removed from the back of the two 0-60 ammeters andthe two engine wires from the generators hooked directly to the + and - meter terminals of the meters. Perhaps you can help Olaf and his mechanic with that. I will send photos from the spare instrument panel that Rod Shaver brought over in November after we shipped the stag.

Everything else runs and operates peachy keen!Leaving turret drive motor on draws heavy current and runs the batteries down fast...Also, leaving the master switch on drains the batteries since there are two resistors in line n the drive motor latching circuit and the dash that draw current whenever the master switch is left on. We put little magnetic plaques around warning to turn of master switch.

We also think the use of the turret drive motor is potentially dangerous. Feet, hands and heads in the side hatch opening are apt to get caught and we think serious injury could occur...we tried to be very cautious and we still got two crushed fingertips and two cuts requiring stitches from heads and elbows bumping sharp corners inside the turret.

Marco - I can still still get in the Hellcat (slowly) but slow to get out...getting into the stag is all but impossible....I could get into the turret from the top hatch but had trouble getting out....I would never have been able to drive it!!!!! But, I really really love restoring hard to restore armour....and that's why I did that project and also why I sold it to someone in Europe. No one without knowledge of WWII armour ever knew what it was when I showed it to various folks. Made in America but not a US operated vehicle during the war.....it will get used more and have a more appreciative home in Europe. Glad it will live in Sneek (near Leeuwarden) the area having been liberated by the 12thMD in April, 1945. That's my story! I have thousands of closeup pictures of various parts of the vehicle and our restoration efforts.....as gather those that are scattered around in every thumb drive and hard drive I will makeup a huge thumb drive and send on to anyone interested.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.
Dan
Old 24-11-22, 21:40

Very nice work and attention to detail in a multi year restoration.

Last edited by James P; 24-11-22 at 21:47.
Old 25-11-22, 01:27
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnm View Post
Well, to answer the question - yes, this is the Stag that came from the Melbourne Museum sale 15 years ago. .....

Dan
Dan, that is an extraordinarily generous account you've shared with the newest caretakers. Small details which unless the driver/demonstrator learns the hard way, or chases their tails trying to troubleshoot, would be almost impossible to learn.

We don't own these things. We are but their current caretakers.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 25-11-22, 09:56

I would like to add my name to the sentiments in the last two posts, You are a good man Dan !

David
Old 25-11-22, 19:13
Dan Dolan

Default on restorations and being a 'keeper'

Thanks for the comments....As I get older (and I am now old ) I appreciate the note of being a "caretaker for someone in the future." I did my restorations for my own fun and enjoyment and in honor of Capt. Vince Dolan, a B24 pilot in the 15th AF in Spinazola, Italy in early '44 and did his 25 over places like Munich, Mostar, Ploesti, Fredreckshaven, and Zwolfaxing; never spoke much about what he did even though I asked a lot of questions. AND, since I could not afford a B24, or any warbird for that matter, I chose the cheaper alternatives of WWII armour and trucks. I could have used his help with my restorations. I think he would have enjoyed helping.
But, the real joy in restorations for me is chasing the parts, researching the vehicle histories and uses, and learning the inner workings. As we restore we all become experts on the hows and whys of what we are working on. The zillions of photos are for the next guy doing one or owning the one you just finished. I let others drive my vehicles in parades and save my piece for the static display/education exhibits; still enjoy shooting the main guns and MGs.
Don't know about you but I never get tired of giving the spiel about where the vehicle was used, who crewed it, where it fought, where it came from and how it got restored. Done that until I lost my voice more than once.
I did the stag because it was rare and a Chevy and the next step up and counterpoint armoured car to the Greyhound M8 (which I had done a decade before and still own). I am and will continue to help Rod in Phoenix with his stag restoration and be a resource for Olaf, like Marco and Tobin were to me.
It's fun to see the innovation of engineers and industry from 80 years ago and see how many 'off the shelf' and truck parts that became armoured vehicle parts with slight modifications. Hellcats, Shermans, Chaffees and armoured cars share a lot of common bits.
The below photos show the 460th BG carryall and a car show that had a TD as a 'car' on display
Old 26-11-22, 00:08
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Lend-Lease

Quote:
Well, to answer the question - yes, this is the Stag that came from the Melbourne Museum sale 15 years ago....Gathered parts and bought out a large collection of NOS stuff (thousands of pounds) also from Australia. The Aussies thought I was nuts for buying it and truly it took two years to get paperwork done to get it into the US!

Dan
Hi Dan

I don't know how you managed to import ex-Lend-Lease stuff back into the USA from Australia, unless the two governments have recently amended the original wartime Lend-Lease agreement.

There was a local in my area who had a large stock of NOS Lend-Lease Stuart M3 light tank parts including NOS radial engines ( which I saw). The story goes: because of the Lend-Lease agreement , he was not permitted to sell any of it back to the USA . What was left of the stockpile was sold as a big lot locally but the deal went bad and it ended up in the courts with lawyers involved
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 26-11-22, 01:49
Dan Dolan

call me fyv-05 tew-69 205-syx
Old 26-11-22, 10:29

Quote:
I would ultimately like to go on the 30th Corp trip to Remagen
Dan

The 30 corp trip will go to Arnhem... Remagen was a US Army target.

Tim
Old 26-11-22, 16:05
Dan Dolan

Old 27-11-22, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
because of the Lend-Lease agreement , he was not permitted to sell any of it back to the USA . What was left of the stockpile was sold as a big lot locally but the deal went bad and it ended up in the courts with lawyers involved
That sounds to me like he could have done that a bit smarter … like, sell via an in-between person in a third country?
Old 28-11-22, 19:56
Dan Dolan

Default sending old military stuff from Australia to the States

My understanding of the world in that regard is as follows:
Australia requires an export permit for military vehicles so they can grab it for their military museum...if they have one in the museum you get the permit.
The US State Dept. now permits importation of former LEND-LEASE US Vehicles older than 1959. Still need a BATF Form 6 showing 'no guns' but the armor part is OK....
Parts importation as never been an issue and is permittred to return as US GOODS RETURNING - used and antique car and truck parts. hat rule from State changed maybe a decade ago. As long as not intended for regular on-rad use - no import duty - because it is not foreign truck.
Old 28-11-22, 21:02

"Australia requires an export permit for military vehicles so they can grab it for their military museum...if they have one in the museum you get the permit."

Sort of, Dan, but to clarify for readers:

The MCH Act requires that there be two items of similar quality to the item for which an export permit is requested, in public collections in Australia before a permanent export permit can be considered. This has been interpreted by MCH to mean that the two examples be held in separate public collections, not both in the same place.

The MCH process does not require an item refused export to be held by or obtained by a public collection, simply that it cannot be exported. It can still be retained or sold by a private individual or non-government collection.

Technically, parts also fall within the meaning of the MCH Act but I've not seen any evidence of parts being applied for, or any blocking of permanent export of parts under the auspices of the MCH Act.

Mike
Old 28-11-22, 21:10
Dan Dolan

Good comment - I just knew there was a 'duplicate' requirement....for export.
Old 01-12-22, 21:38
Dan Dolan

Default Arrived!!!!

Staghound 2023 has arrived in Antwerp yesterday. Clearing customs and hopefully driving around in the Netherlands on FRIDAY??!!

ARC DEFENDER

ANTWERP STEENBANK
ETA: Nov 30, 01:00
Predicted ETA -
Distance / Time -
Course / Speed 72° / 0.0 kn
Current draught 9.6 m
Navigation Status Moored
Position received 1 min ago
IMO / MMSI 9375264 / 338145000
Callsign WDM6793
Flag USA