MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up

Notices

Old 17-08-22, 01:50

Default Looks like it was an F15

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...ustom/m4524639
Old 17-08-22, 02:44

I keep reminding myself:
It's their truck, they can do what they want with it.

It's their truck, they can do what they want with it.....

But if it's original sheet metal and/or frame, I would rather it had been restored . On the other hand, if they've made a fiberglass replica....
Old 17-08-22, 06:48
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
I keep reminding myself:

It's their truck, they can do what they want with it.....
Is that working for you yet?
Old 17-08-22, 14:01

Citizen's arrest?
Old 17-08-22, 18:33

Drivers licence and ownership and insurance please sir?

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 17-08-22, 19:07
Niels Vegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
Is that working for you yet?
He hasn’t stopped repeating it yet
1955 Austin Champ, 04BF45
Old 17-08-22, 20:11
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Just when I thought CMPs couldn’t get any uglier. Here you have it.
Truth be known, it’s not even worth the time and trouble to restore old wrecks anymore. Unless it truly is a rare model of whatever….
Sadly, more and more of these old beasts will suffer the original fate, parked in sheds, fields, wherever, only to be forgotten and left behind.
As time marches on, there is less and less interest in old vehicles. Anyone who believes the grandkids will love it or give a crap are sadly mistaken….

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 17-08-22, 20:17
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
As time marches on, there is less and less interest in old vehicles. Anyone who believes the grandkids will love it or give a crap are sadly mistaken….
Just wait until you can't get gas for them anymore. By 2030 is when they say. Nothing left to do but pour a concrete pad and stock up on gallons of the wrong colour glossy green (zero emission) paint to apply every few years.

I have a recollection of a CMP up for sale recently with that kind of box on it. Is that the one?
Old 18-08-22, 04:34

Default Cmp

While I agree with a couple of opinions posted here ( AN UGLY truck) and investment cost vs finished value, I am not so pessimistic about the fate of properly restored vehicles. I have taken my 15cwt Chev to two local carshows this summer. It is a significant standout from the usual tedious bunch of corvettes, English sports cars and restored grampa cars. Most of the older folks remember them as farm work vehicles. One 80 year old lamented about the tedious hours he had spent driving on a farm 50 years ago. But here is the good news, Every kid that showed up at the show made a beeline to come over and have a look at my Chevy. I would give them the tour, recount some of the production history and tell them about all the Ontario towns and factories that supplied the parts to build it. There was great interest among kids and parents about the history of the CMP. Of course none of this is ever mentioned in our schools or mass media but the audience is there and is interested if we can find ways to connect. In June I took a T16 carrier to a local public school at the invitation of an open minded Principal. The kids were 13 and 14 years old and again very curious. The key to successful teaching is to get the kids interested and I really think they are, perhaps we can create some more vehicle enthusiasts among the younger generation and really immerse them in Canadian military/industrial history. I am much encouraged by the results I have seen over the past few months.
Old 18-08-22, 14:09
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Bob, while I agree with some of your points my opinion stands.
Sure, kids are curious by nature and might think it’s cool. That’s a huge leap between wanting to own one, let alone making the investment to purchase or having the skills and ability to restore or maintain it.
As Bruce points out, we may even see the day where they are removed from the roads in the name of (insert flavour of the week here)….
Personally I think vintage cars are interesting (pre 1940’s) and even admire the craftsmanship of antique carriages. We don’t see too many of either on the roads anymore, simply the interest and skill set is gone.
A guy can barely sell a Model T Ford anymore, unless it is going to some other equally minded nut.
Will there always be an interest in old vehicles? Sure. I just don’t see it ever regaining the momentum of the past moving forward.
Our kids today are becoming further and further removed and disconnected with even the basics of life. Today’s world consists of fleeting snippets of instant gratification fueled by an ever increasing thirst for more.
This guy will continue down the path for my own satisfaction, just the way grandpa is supposed to, out tinkering on some old junk

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 18-08-22, 15:35

I am afraid I am the only one who sees the possibilities of this vehicle. If you take away the bling of the orange paint, fancy wheels, shiny gas tank what’s wrong with it? Paint it the proper green, put on twenty inch wheels and tires and off you go at highway speeds to the next swap meet. You could even make up a sign to put on it in the parking lot at the swap meet saying that it is not a fair representation of a CMP. Pre Covid I attended many shows and swap meets in the US that were 8 to 10 hour drives. In my fastest military vehicle, an M1010 ambulance, it was a noisy slow drive and this wouldn’t be much different. I could do that in this CMP but not a real one. I would prefer a Chev chassis for reliability though.
Sorry Rob’
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 18-08-22, 15:43
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry churcher View Post
i am afraid i am the only one who sees the possibilities of this vehicle. If you take away the bling of the orange paint, fancy wheels, shiny gas tank what’s wrong with it? Paint it the proper green, put on twenty inch wheels and tires and off you go at highway speeds to the next swap meet. You could even make up a sign to put on it in the parking lot at the swap meet saying that it is not a fair representation of a cmp. Pre covid i attended many shows and swap meets in the us that were 8 to 10 hour drives. In my fastest military vehicle, an m1010 ambulance, it was a noisy slow drive and this wouldn’t be much different. I could do that in this cmp but not a real one. I would prefer a chev chassis for reliability though.
Sorry rob’
barry
blass feem-er!!!!!
Old 18-08-22, 16:22

Although it has the aerodynamics of a brick, I think I see a modern chassis and running gear in their photos so highway speeds are probably already possible (with or without 20" wheels)...
Old 18-08-22, 17:43
3RD ECHELON WKSP

To each his own as they say.
The topic of making ex MVs more driveavle is always an interesting subject.
Suppose it depends on your end game, whether or not your are a purist history buff or a guy that wants to drive something cool.
As many of you know, I tend to favour the historical and correctly done restorations.
If I were, to ever, even think about modernizations I think the concept of improving an original would need to be done with mil-spec parts and pieces. At least it would have the appearances of being factory.

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 18-08-22, 19:32
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
Although it has the aerodynamics of a brick, I think I see a modern chassis and running gear in their photos so highway speeds are probably already possible (with or without 20" wheels)...
It is listed as having a Ford F150 underneath it for chassis and running gear.
Old 19-08-22, 06:54
Bluebell

Paul, can I suggest you save a picture and post it in the thread. Otherwise the whole thread becomes irrelevant when the listing disappears.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 19-08-22, 13:47
carrier mech

Good idea. We are lucky it has not sold already, as the ad would be taken down and future collectors would not know what is possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 06-44-48 d27ec95a-9ac8-4233-aadb-98cba376fa0e.webp (WEBP Image 640 × 48.jpg  
Old 19-08-22, 17:22

Default Pictures

More Pictures
Attached Thumbnails
4CF72F42-398C-4944-89A0-8FB9027FE869.jpeg   3B481C25-0588-4BDA-A0AB-FBE44BF09798.jpeg   97063989-0A22-41C8-AF0D-620892C8B3CB.jpeg   21E18E77-45E0-4AFC-864A-D7AB9BC4AA12.jpeg  
Old 19-08-22, 19:51
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Just wait until you can't get gas for them anymore. By 2030 is when they say.
You can always drop the CMP cab and body onto one of the Tesla pickup chassis.

Never Surrender.

I think 2030 or 2035 is when the current PM wants all new vehicles sold to be on alternate fuels. I am sure his plan will be to tax the hell out of carbon based fuel to the point you won't drive them anymore.
Old 19-08-22, 23:08
MLU Administrator

Who saw the movie clip of this truck going up and down and lifting one wheel at a time? I’m sure it has “hydraulics” - if it hasn’t, the new owner would need to add it to make it complete!

And I love the lights under the sills.
Old 13-09-22, 00:51
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Man, it hurts the eyes to look at that...thing..
I suppose with enough dollars thrown at it, it might make a comeback..depending on how badly damaged it really is.

My 60cwt had a 235 engine and ran pretty good on the highway, 100 km/h was possible as I drove it a couple times to ottawa and back no prob.. steering was beautiful, and many times on the highways around Montreal, such as out to the W Island to the veterans hospital.

It was a great thrill to see the vets and hear them talk when they saw the truck.. Thankfully there were still quite a few of them still around back then. One guy in Ottawa, must have been in his advanced 70s, asked if he could get in.... sure,.. he scrambled up faster than I could. sat down, caressed the wood steering wheel and had tears in his eyes !!!

Sure you might stuff a new engine and tranny in them, but really that takes so much of the experience out of it...
Heck, I love the whine of straight cut gears, and what young person even knows what a clutch is, let alone 'double clutching".
I see the driving schools around here teaching new drivers in EVs !!!

Yes the effort to rid the world of gasoline is set for 2030, even though EVs are so absolutely not green !!!
That is a myth promoted by those with an agenda, and by those who have never done any of their own research.
In the long run they will be proven to be worse for the environment. And of course they pay no fuel tax which maintains the roads, and helps fund hospitals, infrastructure, police, etc. (The govt is going to make up those lost billions with more taxes and fees...no way they can get by with less revenue)

Not only that but the supply of lithium and cobalt is not plentiful and is controlled mostly by China.

As Li batteries are used in so many things now, including of course military electronics, these should be, and will eventually be, listed as 'strategic" minerals, but by then China will control the market, which it almost does now.

But to Chris' point, I'd tend to agree with him and Bruce. I know so many of our generation who were into restoring old cars, but while young kids may be briefly intrigued, the actual desire to take on such restorations, or even ownership, does not seem to be there.
Putting big rear spoilers, paper thin sidewalls and chrome mags n a Mazda or Honda, and a deliberately loud exhaust isn't the same as restoring a Studebaker, or Pontiac (if they'd ever even heard of those names)

In addition, our hobby concerns WAR machines, and boy are younger folks being conditioned to hate anything related, heck they might get "triggered" by merely seeing a "war machine".

Somewhat related, I knew of several magnificent antique=ish wooden yachts, 1920s to 1950s abandoned and rotten as the skills to maintain them, let alone restore- are few and far between, and the cost is astronomical...result...rot-scrap, gone.

Young people don't have the interest or time, and given the way our economy is being driven into the ground, not the money for sure even if they were interested.

I think prices for restored antique vehicles will continue to rise, but slower, for the next few years, but my guess is in another decade, prices will collapse for lack of market. Not to mention, who's going to buy a vehicle you can't get gas for?

Or won't even be allowed to drive, except perhaps on very special occasions... in other words a huge lawn ornament.

As for our MVs ? How many of your kids are really interested? Mine sure aren't.
Old 13-09-22, 13:56
carrier mech

My wife handed me a note yesterday with the information from a guy who dropped by wanting a Blitz buggy for a project. He saw the short lineup from the highway. He is not after the whole truck...just the cab. She did not know what a "Blitz buggy" was, and asked him a couple times if he was talking about a CMP. He didn't know what that was.

She warned him that if he didn't hear anything, it's because I didn't want to sell.

Needless to say, there will be no call.
Old 13-09-22, 14:22
MLU Administrator

Default "Making the Blitz"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Good idea. We are lucky it has not sold already, as the ad would be taken down and future collectors would not know what is possible.
You forgot to add these photos - if this doesn't pull in the younger crowd, I don't know what will

Click image for larger version

Name:	40b1800d-96d1-427f-b7ac-5e79ac75b060.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	130034 Click image for larger version

Name:	49d5a7dc-a5d8-4745-bc45-b10650b03dcd.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	130035